Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The art design in DmC is easily the best part of the game. It is just a really, really good looking game and some of the visuals are incredibly creative and fun. The boss I keep hyping is probably the best visual I've seen in a game in a long time. It's hard to even explain the visuals that go on during that fight. One of my friends described one of his moves as a 3D version of the spell Goner from FF6 and I can't really argue with him but the fact that the description is accurate shouldn't make sense.

It's a game that has many problems but the visuals aren't one of them. Ninja Theory knows their poo poo.

Surlaw posted:

DMC is much better than I expected even if it is way too easy for me after playing the rest of the series. I really like the art design of its world, I think the platforming is fun, and Dante actually is funny. He was the part I was worried most about but he's actually good, it's the rest of the cast that ranges from bad to boring. It's nowhere near as serious as I feared, which is great. I kind of hate the music, but I've never liked the music in this series.

Yeah, Dante's portrayal is surprisingly okay. He's the only character where the writing style seems to work, but even then it kind of falls apart later when he gets more serious. In general, the plot could have been good if they had tweaked a bunch of stuff. There's a bunch of good ideas in there but they're stifled by questionable choices and poor execution.

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Try hard mode. Also: did you know that DMC3's normal mode in North America was the Japanese version's hard mode?

Hard mode is still far too easy. I'm saying that as someone who has never beat another DMC game before and I don't think I'm that great at these type of games. The enemies just really project their moves really far in advanced, they don't do all that much damage, and if you die you don't really lose all that much. There's also the fact that most of the enemies can just be juggled forever. It's just an easy game, which as I learned from my recent experience with GoW:A, is way better than a challenging game where the challenge comes from bullshit.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I don't know what else to tell you. I really liked it and it was one of my favorite games of last year and all the hate it's getting seems outright bizarre to me. I guess it's just gonna be one of those games like Heavenly Sword where I see something truly great and doesn't seem to be there for most other people.

I'm not trying to say "you're a bad person and should feel bad" or anything. I'm just saying that I really did give it a legitimate try and didn't enjoy it, even if I really wanted to. :smith:

As far as DmC goes, I just didn't find the combat engaging at all. it was effortless to SSS-rank everything by doing slash-slash->hold Devil Button->Trinity Smash and angel weapons were hilariously underpowered and made every fight take twice as long while building half the Style meter. I don't think it's a terrible game but it's just kind of boring to play. The enemies are too weak even on DMD, they're not aggressive enough, Devil Trigger is effectively a giant win button... it's just way too simple and easy and doesn't really encourage variety due to the weapons being so unbalanced.

Also color-coded enemies are absolutely unfun to fight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 17, 2014

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just further reason why I never read developer hype (unless it's From Software or Nintendo)

Tell me about it. I bit into the Bioshock Infinite hype and... well... everyone knows what happened there. I still liked it, but yeah. :sigh:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll probably play dmc and bioshock this weekend. Should I play both games on hard mode? Or go harder for dmc? I did get all achievements in bayonetta and normal mode for metal gear rising was just about challenging enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I'll probably play dmc and bioshock this weekend. Should I play both games on hard mode? Or go harder for dmc? I did get all achievements in bayonetta and normal mode for metal gear rising was just about challenging enough.

I would go for hard mode on DMC for certain. Bioshock... even, whatever you want. It isn't really the kind of game where hard mode makes it better.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Try hard mode. Also: did you know that DMC3's normal mode in North America was the Japanese version's hard mode?

I agree with this. The game was more fun for me when I turned it up to the highest difficulty you can set it when you first play it. This is coming from someone who almost never plays a game on a harder difficulty when people recommend it. I'm actually really glad I didn't increase the difficulty on Bioshock Infinite or Metal Gear Rising, because I had trouble getting through a few parts of Infinite on normal and the final boss of Metal Gear Rising is a pretty hefty difficulty spike even on normal. DMC is very manageable even on the highest initial difficulty setting, but would likely become boring on Normal.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ineffiable posted:

Bioshock's difficulty will just feel frustrating if you keep dying again and again. It's not that bad, but it doesn't add to the experience either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Thanks guys. Dmc as hard as possible and bioshock on normal.
I don't care as much as the trophies as I do having a good experience.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The enemies in Infinite are just annoying bulletsponges on hard, don't play it on that.
I wish there had been a middle ground between normal and hard though, since normal seemed a bit too easy.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
What makes Hard Mode DmC harder than Normal? Do the enemies just have more health, or are there real changes?

The last game I played on hard from Tales of Xillia and that was a terrible decision since it just made everything take longer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skychrono posted:

What makes Hard Mode DmC harder than Normal? Do the enemies just have more health, or are there real changes?

The last game I played on hard from Tales of Xillia and that was a terrible decision since it just made everything take longer.

Enemies have more health and are more aggressive. The latter is the important part because the enemies on Normal are basically punching bags. (Hard isn't much better but it's a step up.)

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Skychrono posted:

It's been a long time since I played it but the enemy patterns are remixed so you're fighting harder things sooner, and you take more damage.

I can't actually remember if that was in the Nephilim mode or the super-hard mode that comes after you beat the game once, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

superh posted:

It's been a long time since I played it but the enemy patterns are remixed so you're fighting harder things sooner, and you take more damage.

I can't actually remember if that was in the Nephilim mode or the super-hard mode that comes after you beat the game once, though.

That is only on Son of Sparda and above which is only unlocked after finishing the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One more question. Can someone sell me on crysis 3 (or warn me). I liked crysis 1 and skipped crysis 2.

Does it even run well on ps3?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

Tell me about it. I bit into the Bioshock Infinite hype and... well... everyone knows what happened there. I still liked it, but yeah. :sigh:

Bioshock Infinite is pretty much the best indication I've seen lately that AAA gaming is basically dead. It's a vast collection of everything that has been tiresome and plodding about big budget games in the past five years. For gently caress's sake, they give you the goddamn lock-on from Call of Duty games (which my gun toting friends tell me is totes realistic? I dunno) so you can just click from target to target. You don't even NEED your magic powers.

Also the storyline to Bioshock Infinite is dumb and hey, can we maybe possibly stop having games end with the main character loving DYING!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first Bioshock wasn't good enough for how mad people get about Infinite.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I was about to post that I'd never seen a game that divided people as much as Bioshock Infinite, but then I remembered, y'know, Bioshock.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Bioshock 2 is the best Bioshock game.

Yeah. Yeah suck that nerds. SUCK IT it's loving Doom under the loving sea and you have a drill and you can go VWOOOOOOOSH and launch mutants ten thousand feet and by the way if you have the magical fist of bees you and throw those bees into a tornado and make a BEENADO.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Aphrodite posted:

And how did they not temper their expectations after Bioshock 2?

E: Ok, beenado is indeed convincing. I still felt the game felt really clunky and I can't even remember most of the story except something about sea-communists.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bioshock Infinite is an incredible experience.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

epitasis posted:

Bioshock Infinite is an incredible experience.

I really liked the story and the setting but the gameplay really doesn't do much for me. It is worth playing though if only to see what happens in it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's a serviceable shooter with a tacked-on gimmick which could have been much more. The story and characters are nothing to write home about but I thought the ending was pretty neat. I paid 10 euro for it and I think I got my money's worth. I doubt I'm ever going to replay it, though.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

G-Whizard posted:

I really liked the story and the setting but the gameplay really doesn't do much for me. It is worth playing though if only to see what happens in it.

It was a pretty game and combat was a lot better than 1 and 2, but I think it truly is the essence of this:

http://imgur.com/GGYMhEr

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I've only played a little bit of Bioshock Infinite but so far I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's literally just the first Bioshock in a less interesting setting and a different political strawman opinion. When you first flew over Columbia I felt none of the awe and wonder when you saw Rapture for the first time.

It seems pretty pretentious too, like it thinks it's being incredibly profound and deep but really isn't. I just had Elizabeth comment on how the segregated bathrooms seem a weird idea. WHOA HARD-HITTING SOCIAL COMMENTARY RACISM AND SEGREGATION R BAD!!

The gameplay itself so far is fine, but there hasn't been a single new or unique idea or mechanic so far. Even most of the plasmids vigors seem copy-pasted.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I don't understand why people keep coming out of the woodwork to proclaim how horrible Bioshock Infinite is. The dumbest part is, the people that hate everything about the gameplay and the overly pretentious story still usually play the entire thing. Just find and play something else that you may enjoy. Complaining this loudly when you get it free (well, as free as ps plus is) is pretty silly.

I didn't enjoy playing Bioshock Infinite very much after the first few hours, but I really enjoyed the world, the music, and the voice acting. It's definitely worth checking out if you already have ps+.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I played but never beat Bioshock 1 and never played 2. Will my experience with Infinite be worse?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I like bioshock infinite, however, I am trying 1999 mode out of the gate, and I am wondering, anyway to avoid death and get some health? Like I know there isn't regen health, but after a couple of the deaths at the first fireman, I keep getting spawned in the center of the street with the turret already locked on to me and shooting me, before I make it to cover.

If I choose to die and not let my precious money go to waste, I have to start like 10 minutes earlier, which isn't bad, just loving annoying to replay one part a lot, before I get to the part I am having trouble on.

I guess what I am asking for is the save anywhere at anytime system bioshock 1 and 2 had, because that was fair just reloading after I die and screw up.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Why yes, I will tell you why Bioshock 2 is the best , thanks for asking.

So break it down like this: the "game" of Bioshock is what, precisely? It's not quite a horror shooter, since unlike proper horror FPS games like Amnesia you have way too many bullets and resources to use. It's got pretty shallow RPG mechanics, so unlike System Shock 2 it's not an RPG and there's no stat-building. So what makes Bioshock...Bioshock?

It's the open-endedness, or perhaps better said, it's the Swiss Army Knife approach to a shooter. You could just try and run and gun, circle strafe your way to victory and use your guns and fireballs to direct damage the bad guys. Or you can hack a turret, set up a security dragnet, mind control an enemy to disrupt formations, set up traps, interact with the environment like electrocuting pools of standing water...that's the main caveat of Bioshock.

So what does Bioshock do? It sets up all of these options to use, and then fails to incentivize you to using any of them. There's no reason to use, say, the cyclone trap. The only reason to use half the alternative fire methods on your guns is to take out the Big Daddies, and enemy difficulty stems from the absurd ramping up of their health values in the last levels. Enemies ambush you often, or are encountered in groups of one or two throughout the level. There are occasionally big arena areas where monsters swarm you from all corners, but this is hard to predict your first time through and rarely gives you a great deal of opportunity to set up your traps. The game's options and available tools go largely unused, especially once you get an electric shotgun. Switching between guns and plasmids takes time so you're encouraged to use one or the other, and that means a reliance on guns always.

Bioshock 2 has none of that bullshit, you get two weapons at once, enabling you to set up traps effortlessly at any juncture. Your melee weapon is really strong and enables you to get out of overwhelming situations and also allows them to send even more enemies at you at once. You have a broader variety of more dangerous enemies who are mixed together in more interesting ways--and the new system of gathering ADAM ensures that you will have at least three ambush scenarios per level, and by the third stage you've basically gotten access to all the basic tools you can use. You have more randomized elements to encourage a broader variety of defenses, and the sheer speed and fluid nature of your movement and combat make you capable of adjusting to any situation and adopting a variety of play styles.

The storyline is less cleverly written, but far more satisfying. Bioshock 1 has probably the lamest, laziest ending I'd seen in a video game to that date. Bioshock 2 has a satisfying ending sequence, no shoe-horned in final boss but instead a fantastic payoff to the whole moral choice system that is actually reflected IN GAMEPLAY and not in some bored German woman narrating what a dick/saint you are over a slideshow, and fighting creepy culty science Communists is really fun and Sophia Lamb is a really easily hatable villain. No, she's no Andrew Ryan, but she's not bad and the gameplay is like hot butter on crab legs.

Bioshock Infinite is Call of Duty starring Kanji Tatsumi in the clouds.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Scyron posted:

I like bioshock infinite, however, I am trying 1999 mode out of the gate, and I am wondering, anyway to avoid death and get some health? Like I know there isn't regen health, but after a couple of the deaths at the first fireman, I keep getting spawned in the center of the street with the turret already locked on to me and shooting me, before I make it to cover.

If I choose to die and not let my precious money go to waste, I have to start like 10 minutes earlier, which isn't bad, just loving annoying to replay one part a lot, before I get to the part I am having trouble on.

I guess what I am asking for is the save anywhere at anytime system bioshock 1 and 2 had, because that was fair just reloading after I die and screw up.

I wouldn't do this. I think the one thing that everyone agrees on about Infinite is that the combat is the least interesting part of the whole package. It sounds like you're playing the game in a way that is almost guaranteed to make you hate it.

If you decide to stay the course, just remember to scavenge through trash cans for food to replenish health often. Early in the game you get a shield that absorbs a small amount of damage and automatically regens after a short perioud. I'd focus on maximizing the shield throughout the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jolo posted:

I don't understand why people keep coming out of the woodwork to proclaim how horrible Bioshock Infinite is. The dumbest part is, the people that hate everything about the gameplay and the overly pretentious story still usually play the entire thing. Just find and play something else that you may enjoy. Complaining this loudly when you get it free (well, as free as ps plus is) is pretty silly.

I didn't enjoy playing Bioshock Infinite very much after the first few hours, but I really enjoyed the world, the music, and the voice acting. It's definitely worth checking out if you already have ps+.

Nah, it's perfectly valid to complain about something you get for free if you feel it has problems. That's basic media literacy, dude.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

I played but never beat Bioshock 1 and never played 2. Will my experience with Infinite be worse?

Bioshock 1 is only about sixteen hours long, so if you're past the half-way point you should go ahead and knock it out. It was such an easy game that when I beat it, I went to go set it to Hard mode and try out the game again just to find that I forgot I put it on Hard in the first place.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Jolo posted:

I wouldn't do this. I think the one thing that everyone agrees on about Infinite is that the combat is the least interesting part of the whole package. It sounds like you're playing the game in a way that is almost guaranteed to make you hate it.

If you decide to stay the course, just remember to scavenge through trash cans for food to replenish health often. Early in the game you get a shield that absorbs a small amount of damage and automatically regens after a short perioud. I'd focus on maximizing the shield throughout the game.

Can I even hold medpacks like bs 1 and 2?

What happens if I try and interact with a Dollar Bill, while in 1999?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, it's perfectly valid to complain about something you get for free if you feel it has problems. That's basic media literacy, dude.

Eh, it's more about sharing opinions. I've passed up on several items on PS+ because I have to prioritize time over the amount of games I keep getting through PS+/really cheap on steam. I don't think anyone even marginally interested in bioshock infinite are going to just not play it due to reading some negativity online. Meanwhile though, reading some opinions convinced me to skip playing kingdoms of alamur until I've thoroughly exhausted everything else in my backlog. As long as it's not a terrible shitpost, I like reading about the good and the bad, before I make up my mind on what to play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was someone who loved the combat and the OG Dante character so the new DMC was a very pretty disappointment, but you just cannot beat "free". If even one person enjoys it enough to go back and SSS Dante Must Die mode in 1/3, it will have been worth it, but it is just not as good of a game as 3 of its predecessors (it is head and shoulders better than DMC 2, no contest).

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Bust Rodd posted:

I was someone who loved the combat and the OG Dante character so the new DMC was a very pretty disappointment, but you just cannot beat "free". If even one person enjoys it enough to go back and SSS Dante Must Die mode in 1/3, it will have been worth it, but it is just not as good of a game as 3 of its predecessors (it is head and shoulders better than DMC 2, no contest).

DmC made me want to buy the HD collection and get my DMC3 platinum, so it must've done something right there.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Why yes, I will tell you why Bioshock 2 is the best , thanks for asking.

I really like your perspective on this but drat if I wasn't let down by the setting and becoming a big daddy.

I have "grenade hoarding" issues so when I played BS1, I rarely used plasmids because I was saving them for later and forgot them later. I played BS2 more freely and enjoyed the variety it provided so I'm with you on the improvements made. But I couldn't care at all about the setting the second time around and I felt like a lot of the allure of the game was the insane ramblings of Andrew Ryan and the very cool environment you wander in. I don't feel like Bioshock 2 spent enough time making the environment interesting again so if chopped one leg out from under the game right there.

And then there's the eventual conversion to Big Daddy and it was a wet fart. It should have reimagined the gameplay but instead it was a minor change and a total letdown.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ineffiable posted:

One more question. Can someone sell me on crysis 3 (or warn me). I liked crysis 1 and skipped crysis 2.

Does it even run well on ps3?

Play Crysis 2 (it's got to be pretty cheap by now), and if you like it, rent 3. I was pretty disappointed by it, even if the bow mechanics were admittedly pretty cool. It's like half the length of 2, and on PS3, it actually looks worse also.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Play Crysis 2 (it's got to be pretty cheap by now), and if you like it, rent 3. I was pretty disappointed by it, even if the bow mechanics were admittedly pretty cool. It's like half the length of 2, and on PS3, it actually looks worse also.

Thing is crysis 2 is 20 bucks on psn and crysis 3 is five bucks on sale.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Thing is crysis 2 is 20 bucks on psn and crysis 3 is five bucks on sale.

I played Crysis 2 on 360 and mildly enjoyed it. I rented Crysis 3 having 0 hype and no real interest in it. I quit playing it within 15 minutes. It was offensively boring. $5 is definitely the right price though. I can't imagine regretting it.

G-Whizard fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
IMO the only way to enjoy Crysis 3 is to play it on a high end PC so you get to look at pretty pictures, but I think Crysis 2 is barely any better anyway. Honestly I bet you have better games to play than those irrespective of who you are, just skip them.

Edit: I liked Crysis 1 and Warhead.

• Locked thread