Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Leperflesh posted:

My dad had a scirocco when I was a kid, for a little while, and I've always wanted one since. Is that a 16v one?

I kind of want a 16v one in white with black trim, like this:

although the silver looks really good too.

edit: poo poo, I wish I had the money for this, look at this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4960651006.html

Yea they look great in white, just need to get rid of the horrible NA park bench bumpers. Mine isn't a 16V, 1987 was the last year of the 8Vs and first for the 16V. In 88 you could only get the 16Vs. The easiest way to tell is if it has the body kit but then there are some 8Vs with the body kit like the GTX? I think, though not many.

Its such an insanely fun car to drive too. Ive got Bilstein Sports and H&R springs on it plus all new bushings/ball joints etc so it drives better than new. Even with just 90hp with the short gearing its a blast to drive, feels fast but isnt so I can drive it 10/10 and not get in trouble, haha.

Ive got an AHU TDI swap for it but I need to rebuild it first and restore everything including the trans. Plus bigger turbo, etc. While I have it apart Im going to go through and fix any rust spots and stuff like that and I need to restore the dash. Ill have to take the dash out anyway since Im changing it from CE1 to CE2 and that will make it way easier.

Hopefully I can get to taking the TDI apart this summer in my spare time. I was kind of burned out on working on stuff last year after the 56, my friends 48 and the T5 swap on the C10 so Ill be more motivated soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

Even with just 90hp with the short gearing its a blast to drive

I'm firmly of the "it's a shitload of fun to drive a slow car fast" school of thought. It takes a lot more planning to do so, compared to "just sneeze on the go-fast pedal and it'll spin torque-steer itself off the road". :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

some texas redneck posted:

Even after ~30 years, that styling is pretty awesome.

Just looking at the pillars alone it's such an oddly proportioned car by todays standards. It's right up there with the BMW E34 though for timeless beauty though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Looks great!
Love the panasports on it!

When I dropped off a parts Volvo wagon at the crusher, there was a 16v one with the whole body kit, seats, etc in line to be crushed. It had a marked for destruction title and recycler couldn't sell it :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm firmly of the "it's a shitload of fun to drive a slow car fast" school of thought. It takes a lot more planning to do so, compared to "just sneeze on the go-fast pedal and it'll spin torque-steer itself off the road". :colbert:

I've been driving a nissan versa note at work while making deliveries. I basically treat it like its a go-kart while grinning from ear to ear.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
This was a very fun thread to marathon, and I look forward to your next project! :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'll have some more projects coming up soon. My season just started so as soon as the money starts coming in I'll get back to doing stuff. I want to tear the TDI down pretty soon but I want to build another work bench for the shop first. Then in mid May the guy who wants me to get his old cars running is going to bring me the first one but you'll have to stay tuned to see what it is ;)

Just a picture from yesterday when I took the 56 out for a nice Sunday drive and helped my elderly aunt and uncle move some stuff to their new house.

I also messed with the carb a little too. I had a little bog when stepping on the gas and it made downshifting harder trying to get the gears to line up. The pump shot was spraying too much fuel. I tried unhooking it at first and it ran awesome but made the throttle super jumpy like it was my first day driving stick. Turns out all I had to do was tighten the screw down for the pump jet, haha. Runs perfect now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I know its Jalopnik but they get some wood on the ball sometimes. Im not sure what they mean about 139hp unless they got that overseas but it was 123hp here in the US with the 16V.

http://jalopnik.com/the-scirocco-was-the-best-golf-volkswagen-ever-made-1699186948#kxsegs=o7mp4e3md,o9i68fk9g,pexi6me2k

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's jalopnik reporting on someone else's youtube video.then in a year if the value goes up, they'll take credit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I know but usually no one cares about Sciroccos except for the few of us that have them so I'll take what I can get :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The Javelin arrived yesterday and Im stoked to get to working on it. Ive been poorer than a church mouse this winter so I dont have normal internet right now and Im posting using my phone hotspot at 128k :( I used up my 1gig of 4G watching 3/4s of the Viper/Hellcat Roadkill and havent even seen the one after that yet with the lowrider. Been working sunup to sundown all month though and the stack on invoices Ill be sending out at the end will be pretty awesome, I'll easily be able to pull myself out of the hole (mostly loving taxes) and get my internet back. Once that happens Ill have a bunch of updates with lots of pictures.

I also picked up a 1976 Columbia Commuter moped a couple weeks ago that I have many, many plans for and one of those plans is white wall tires like a goddamn boss. It has a speedo that goes to 45mph and I plan on using a lot more of that than the 25mph it does now.

Also something in the rear of the Forester is angry and needs immediate attention so bad that its undriveable so there will be some daily driver content.

Got plans this summer for another one of the old trucks thats sitting around here too.

Again, stay tuned, good things are coming.

Teaser picture, this thing is loving boss and so mint.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Whaaaa? I don't recall reading about this. '69?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
drat that's a good looking Javelin.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Close, its a 68. Ill get some pics soon with my good camera. It has a tach in the center of the dash and its so wicked cool. I was looking at it again today and its just an amazing looking car from every angle. Just gorgeous.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So jealous. Those early Javelins/AMXes really do it for me. Can't wait for more.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I dropped my camera the other day with the flash attached and broke the mount, bad enough so that the internal flash doesnt work either :( Sorry about the blurriness and shallow dof but check out how awesome this car is.

I also picked up this chick magnet.

It runs pretty good but the gas tank was nasty. Ive been douching it out using fuel filters and and just pouring gas through it. Its getting pretty clean now. Then the kick stand broke on it and when I was looking at it the back tire debeaded for no apparent reason right next to my ear with a huge explosion. Thats when I stopped for the day. Ive got a list of awesome parts picked out for it already but cant get them quite yet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Man that Javelin owns. I'm a huge sucker for AMC; I'll have one someday :allears: (although I'm one of the weirdos who likes the later ones too)

What are you doing to it? Edelbrock makes a surprising amount of go-fast bits.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It hasn't been run in a while and has a couple little problems like a trans and coolant leak which I think is the water pump. He wants to sell it and Im going to make sure it runs good, stops good, stuff like that. I think its pretty stock. Its not a 343 but a 290. He did the old school version of the Type R badge.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If your camera is a Nikon DSLR, the built-in flash "breaking" is usually an internal switch that gets knocked off of the pivot point and partway into the body. I've owned 3, and had to fix 2 of them so far. Also fixed my stepdad's. All after being dropped.

It's pretty easy to fix by removing the top cover on the flash, if you have tweezers to pull the switch back into position.. as long as you don't touch any wires around the capacitor anyway. That made me yelp like a kicked puppy. :mad:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Cool javelin.
AMCs are really rare here, like probably less than a thousand of each model sold during a short lived CKD period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Motor_Industries#Operations_with_AMC

I had a neighbour with a hornet once, didn't realize how rare they were here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If your camera is a Nikon DSLR, the built-in flash "breaking" is usually an internal switch that gets knocked off of the pivot point and partway into the body. I've owned 3, and had to fix 2 of them so far. Also fixed my stepdad's. All after being dropped.

It's pretty easy to fix by removing the top cover on the flash, if you have tweezers to pull the switch back into position.. as long as you don't touch any wires around the capacitor anyway. That made me yelp like a kicked puppy. :mad:

Yea is a D40, it has actual physical damage to the camera body, its cracked open and the shoe is bent. I dropped it with my SB400 attached and it really did some damage :( The internal flash doesnt even pop open. I havent tried messing with it yet but I might have some time today though Im probably going to spend most of my time drinking and getting the Javelin running.

Ive touched a flash capacitor before and yea it does suck. I took apart one of those disposable cameras as a kid and got 700 volts right to the hand.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
That Javelin is sweet. How many of these cars does he have for you to get running? (sorry if it's been posted previously and I missed it)

Fart Pipe posted:

Ive touched a flash capacitor before and yea it does suck. I took apart one of those disposable cameras as a kid and got 700 volts right to the hand.

We had one of these that was stripped down to just the bare board with the flash circuitry, battery, and capacitor on it that we used to charge up and leave in conspicuous locations during my Tech class in HS for suckers curious students to pick up. It never got old to hear a yelp and see the board go flying. :xd: People picked up on it pretty quickly though, that's not a mistake you make twice. It was a pretty powerful jolt. Even got the teacher once early on, although I think he secretly found it funny once he figured it out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

That Javelin is sweet. How many of these cars does he have for you to get running? (sorry if it's been posted previously and I missed it)

We had one of these that was stripped down to just the bare board with the flash circuitry, battery, and capacitor on it that we used to charge up and leave in conspicuous locations during my Tech class in HS for suckers curious students to pick up. It never got old to hear a yelp and see the board go flying. :xd: People picked up on it pretty quickly though, that's not a mistake you make twice. It was a pretty powerful jolt. Even got the teacher once early on, although I think he secretly found it funny once he figured it out.

I think I must have posted it in the chat thread but I forget now. Its the Javelin, a 63 Olds 88 I think and a 48 Buick Roadmaster. He just sold the other custom 48 Roadmaster that I worked on a few years ago. Oh yea and a 65 Cutlass that I dont think hes planning on selling since he restored it with his dad.

The Javelin is registered and insured so I can not WAIT to get it all ready and drive it around. I havent driven an old car in a while, just my trucks but sitting in it made me miss riding around in my buddies 68 Cougar in high school. Pony cars are so loving cool.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Phone posting so I hope this works but I got it running today.

1968 AMC Javelin Revival: https://youtu.be/R8nA7KOchBc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

Phone posting so I hope this works but I got it running today.

1968 AMC Javelin Revival: https://youtu.be/R8nA7KOchBc

Yep, that owns. Totally jealous.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

Oh trust me, the teacher found it loving hilarious... when other people got zapped anyway. :v: He/she probably wanted to find whoever left it there and through them through a wall when they got tickled.

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea is a D40, it has actual physical damage to the camera body, its cracked open and the shoe is bent. I dropped it with my SB400 attached and it really did some damage :( The internal flash doesnt even pop open. I havent tried messing with it yet

That's a bit more severe than I expected. :smith: Sorry man, I can't really say if there's any way to fix that cheaper than just replacing it - the damage I was thinking of makes the camera think the built-in flash didn't pop up, so it doesn't fire it (it would still pop up). Upside is something a bit newer is crazy cheap. If I remember right, the D40 lacked an internal auto focus motor, correct? If so, ANY Nikon DSLR body will work with your AF-S lenses, with autofocus. A D5xxx will be, IMO, the best value replacement, assuming your lenses are all AF-S - the 5000 line also lacks an internal auto focus motor (so AF only works with AF-S lenses - but since you're coming from a D40, that's likely all you have anyway), but they're awesome cameras and a hell of an upgrade. You just can't club a baby seal or pimp to death with the camera body anymore (upside is the body isn't 5 pounds).

I've been shooting with a D5100 for about two years now, and I love it. Had to sell my 50mm AF lens though, since it didn't have an internal focus motor. I'd been wanting to move to a 35mm lens anyway, and wound up with a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor AF-S for pretty cheap (thank you, craigslist). I think the current version is the D5300? keh.com generally has the lower end Nikon bodies for cheap, with a warranty. I know the 5100 has an awesome LCD that pivots/swivels too, and a live preview, plus it does 1080p video with downright fantastic sound (while showing it on the LCD - so you can hold it over your head). I've shot some decent concert footage with it just as a random person standing at the front of a pit (4 day music event, so I was taking my camera everywhere), and wound up selling it to the production company.

It looks like a D5100 can be found for on keh.com for $339 (body/camera/charger) if you don't mind some scratches. Honestly surprised at that, I've had mine for two years and I paid $425 for it locally, figured they would have gone down a bit more.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 18, 2015

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Really love the Javelin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Really love the Javelin:

Oh poo poo, are we doing that now? Well, alright then.

The older ones are alright too ;)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I always liked the big fendered ones too but this one definitely changed my mind. Either way both are awesome and dammit AMC for going away. They made tons of cool poo poo.

Im going to try to fix my D40. Ive had it for 6 years and have taken it everywhere with me so I'm kind of sentimentally attached to it because it was the first thing I bought when I took over the lawn care business when I wasn't poor anymore. I wanted a DSLR so bad for so long before that.

Also the 35mm 1.8 is what Ive been shooting with lately and it owns so, so much. Its the cheapest one I have and I pretty much dont use any of my other lenses anymore, haha. The only one I really want is like a 10mm 2.0 or something like that but its like a grand and gently caress that right now. Too many car and moped parts to buy first.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
AMC really had some good looking cars.

There was a guy on here that had an AMC 2dr Rambler. I think it was a Rambler Rouge, but it had awesome lines, but powered by a 232 inline 6. I'd love to get my hands on one, but around here they are pretty fried in terms of rust.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I talked to the owner today and it turns out it has 8 year old gas in it, haha. I thought he had emptied it since the gas gauge was showing nothing. I put like 5 gallons in yesterday from one of my gas cans when I was getting it running and it still showed nothing. Then when I took it to the gas station to fill it with some fresh stuff it shut off after about 3 gallons and didnt know what the gently caress. Thats when I called him and asked about the gas and he told me he never emptied it. I cant believe how awesome it runs right now on that old lovely gas. Its not great but its perfectly drivable, its gonna run so mint once I drain and fill it with new gas and I havent even messed with any of the settings on the carb/points/timing or anything yet.

I never thought it would cross my mind to sell the 56 but I would consider it for this car. Its calling my name like blasting a good Lynyrd Skynyrd song on a bright sunny day with the windows down.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fart Pipe posted:

I never thought it would cross my mind to sell the 56 but I would consider it for this car. Its calling my name like blasting a good Lynyrd Skynyrd song on a bright sunny day with the windows down.

Hell yeah. Don't forget the aviators.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh gently caress I have a set that I forgot about, totally busting those out next time I drive it.

Man, I used to have a fake mullet wig too that I cant find. If I do find it Im gonna take the most badass pics with it. I have a big fro wig that I do know where it is so that might work just as well for now.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 19, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
How is your ability to grow a haggard early 70s mustache? You're going to need one of those.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I was thinking the same thing but Im not good at the facial hair. I need to find a fake one or something since I need to do the same kind of pictures with the C10.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Black88GTA posted:

I worked in a one-hour photo lab. We used to take those "single-use" cameras apart and toss the charged capacitor to another co-worker.

We were jerks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Post about your Nikon in the Nikon thread in the Dorkroom, there are goons there who can help you figure out exactly how to fix it. Ideally of course you should somehow take pictures of the damage.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea thats a good idea, thanks. Ill get some pics of it with my phone when I get to fixing it. Been crazy busy at work so I just need to get some time to mess with it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh yea thats a good idea, thanks. Ill get some pics of it with my phone when I get to fixing it. Been crazy busy at work so I just need to get some time to mess with it.

I've also got a spare D80 body... we should talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spare D70S body here. Memory card slot is FUBAR and the image sensor is filthy, but it's good as a learning tool.

Especially the capacitor.