Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Slight update from my earlier post: my missing music scroll was not a bug, but an inaccurate walkthrough.

Also I really love these cheat codes, but they kind of make me wish you could do even more with them, or at least combine them. Say, a code that lets the fire wand shoot 3 times, and reduces the size of the shots and the damage they do, and lets your character be slightlier bluer. :megaman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

:doh: Please don't tell me that by skipping a chest with a meal ticket, you have no way of getting it back.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I wish they would tone down or remove that slight delay/acceleration/whatever when you start moving because its just annoying more than anything, increase the hitbox on the shovel swing a little, just 2 or so pixels wider in the direction you are attacking in, and make all animations as fluid as the best ones are. For example, climbing ladders is just one frame being flipped over whereas walking is very fluid looking.

I doubt any of these will ever happen, but one can hope....................................

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Do you think there's any chance that some of the other characters could be playable in the future? I know who won the polls, but I really wanted to play Black Knight :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Slight update from my earlier post: my missing music scroll was not a bug, but an inaccurate walkthrough.

Also I really love these cheat codes, but they kind of make me wish you could do even more with them, or at least combine them. Say, a code that lets the fire wand shoot 3 times, and reduces the size of the shots and the damage they do, and lets your character be slightlier bluer. :megaman:

Yeah, I realized immediately because I put Vile Mode and then Butt Mode. Butt mode persisted, but not vile mode. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black Knight would play exactly the same as Shovel Knight. If people had voted for him I'd assume they had a momentary lapse in judgment and hamhandedly hit the wrong button with their mouse.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Raserys posted:

Do you think there's any chance that some of the other characters could be playable in the future? I know who won the polls, but I really wanted to play Black Knight :(

Yeah maybe. Everybody will already be playable in battle mode (if I'm not mistaken?), so it might not be too much effort for them to add a few more single player campaigns as well down the line.

I'm basically holding out a delusional hope that they'll just go 'gently caress it' and let you play as everybody in single player.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Black Knight would play exactly the same as Shovel Knight. If people had voted for him I'd assume they had a momentary lapse in judgment and hamhandedly hit the wrong button with their mouse.

C'mon, it's an X and Zero situation. Playing as the cool rival character is appealing even if the gameplay wouldn't be too different, and I can think of about a million ways to subtly differentiate them, even putting aside the fact that he shoots super huge purple fireballs.

It's ok if you're more interested in other knights, but let's not start acting like the Mega Man thread where people got incredibly angry at other posters for voting for the "wrong" Call design for Mighty Number 9.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I'm basically holding out a delusional hope that they'll just go 'gently caress it' and let you play as everybody in single player.

Same.

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, I realized immediately because I put Vile Mode and then Butt Mode. Butt mode persisted, but not vile mode. :(

I wanted to play as Vile with infinite fire rod. :(

Gortarius posted:

I wish they would tone down or remove that slight delay/acceleration/whatever when you start moving because its just annoying more than anything, increase the hitbox on the shovel swing a little, just 2 or so pixels wider in the direction you are attacking in,

All of these are pretty deliberate design decisions, much like the fact that the shovel swing has a slight startup instead of coming out immediately. I really doubt they'd change them.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 13, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Where do you get shovel upgrades

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

alcharagia posted:

Where do you get shovel upgrades

Up a ladder in the first screen of the second town.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just purchased and beat the game today. A really fun ride, and I hope that the gender swap option means you get to play as the Shield Knight.

Aside from that, looking forward to all those extra knights to play as.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd really like a campaign for all of them but my top three choices would pretty much be King Knight, Plague Knight, and Specter Knight. Do we have any idea when they're coming out?

Arrrthritis posted:

Just purchased and beat the game today. A really fun ride, and I hope that the gender swap option means you get to play as the Shield Knight.

I hope so, it'd be kind of pointless otherwise

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lurdiak posted:

C'mon, it's an X and Zero situation. Playing as the cool rival character is appealing even if the gameplay wouldn't be too different, and I can think of about a million ways to subtly differentiate them, even putting aside the fact that he shoots super huge purple fireballs.

It's ok if you're more interested in other knights, but let's not start acting like the Mega Man thread where people got incredibly angry at other posters for voting for the "wrong" Call design for Mighty Number 9.

I would rather they put their time towards more varied things. :colbert:

(also i would never want to go near any serious megaman-related discussions which seems like an exercise in pain, so i can't say i'm familiar with any poo poo that went down with mighty number 9)

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Tetracube posted:

I'd really like a campaign for all of them but my top three choices would pretty much be King Knight, Plague Knight, and Specter Knight. Do we have any idea when they're coming out?

I don't think it has been mentioned, but there was a vote held for which characters you will be able to play as and the 3 knights you posted are the ones that won. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/645962

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Aside from that, looking forward to all those extra knights to play as.

IIRC Gender Swap and Shield Knight are separate things that will both be added eventually. Shield Knight as an actual full character and Gender Swap as a sprite changing thing I think.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

weird bleep posted:

I don't think it has been mentioned, but there was a vote held for which characters you will be able to play as and the 3 knights you posted are the ones that won. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/645962

Oh thanks, I knew they won but I couldn't find the vote

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Genocyber posted:

IIRC Gender Swap and Shield Knight are separate things that will both be added eventually. Shield Knight as an actual full character and Gender Swap as a sprite changing thing I think.

At the very least it'll change sprites of some characters and gender pronouns in the dialogue. I'm not sure if this applies to the entire cast or just Shield Knight and Shovel Knight.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Lurdiak posted:

At the very least it'll change sprites of some characters and gender pronouns in the dialogue. I'm not sure if this applies to the entire cast or just Shield Knight and Shovel Knight.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be the entire cast.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If the gender-swapped Shovel Knight isn't just the sprite with a bow on it, I am revoking my Kickstarter pledge. :mad:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

FutonForensic posted:

If the gender-swapped Shovel Knight isn't just the sprite with a bow on it, I am revoking my Kickstarter pledge. :mad:

Would you accept a shovel knight in pink armor?

Because that would be pretty baller.

E:

Emong posted:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be the entire cast.

I would like that a lot and think it's amazing that they're willing to do this.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 13, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Would you accept a shovel knight in pink armor?

Because that would be pretty baller.

That already exists via a cheat code.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't find anything to suggest Shield Knight being playable other than "Gender Swap mode would be stupid if it was just female Shovel Knight" and the fact that she wasn't a poll option

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The Ornate Plate is the best powerup in all of video games

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Just beat the game. Have to say...a little bit of a downer ending! Love the Megaman style credits though. This game rocks, it's a perfect SNES tribute, combining all of the best platformers and adventure games of the 16-bit era together in one beautiful package.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just beat the game. Have to say...a little bit of a downer ending! Love the Megaman style credits though. This game rocks, it's a perfect SNES tribute, combining all of the best platformers and adventure games of the 16-bit era together in one beautiful package.

Did you watch the after credits scene?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

Did you watch the after credits scene?

Literally as soon as I finished posting that played. This game is excellent. :kimchi:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just beat the game with 100% item completion and it was hella excellent.

I've just started a new file with Ducktales Mode activated and I am laughing uncontrollably for reasons I do not fully understand. (Is it possible to play the game with more than one cheat code activated at once?)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's a NES tribute though.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

alcharagia posted:

(Is it possible to play the game with more than one cheat code activated at once?)

No, but there are codes that combine the effects of other codes.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Man, I was sure that Penny Pincher was going to be an awesomely compelling challenge of a feat to unlock, right up until I found out that you can unlock it on a NG+, even if you spent money on the clear that you started it from.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got True Shovelry and Impossible in a single playthrough, I feel like kind of a badass. Is that normal

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Man, I was sure that Penny Pincher was going to be an awesomely compelling challenge of a feat to unlock, right up until I found out that you can unlock it on a NG+, even if you spent money on the clear that you started it from.

That sounds like it could be an oversight.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like it could be an oversight.
It's by design as far as I can tell.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I did the no spending money run at the same time as a no relic run, also beating a stage without getting any money. I like to try and get multiple achievements at the same time. :buddy:

Currently doing a no death run to get a few achievements and also breaking every checkpoint along the way because I don't need them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just got the game and I like it a lot so far. Except for the fact that it can and will drop your money bags in places it is impossible to retrieve them. What the hell, man?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just got the game and I like it a lot so far. Except for the fact that it can and will drop your money bags in places it is impossible to retrieve them. What the hell, man?

You can sometimes pick them back up with the fishing pole...otherwise, there's an ichor that can help.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've killed the eight bosses before Wily's Castle the tower but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Also, gently caress that giant robot boss. I have no idea how to make it stop shooting those dumb balls and start sending out the platforms so it took like three times as long to kill as any of the other bosses. Surely there must be a way and I'm just dumb.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've killed the eight bosses before Wily's Castle the tower but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Also, gently caress that giant robot boss. I have no idea how to make it stop shooting those dumb balls and start sending out the platforms so it took like three times as long to kill as any of the other bosses. Surely there must be a way and I'm just dumb.

You mean Tinker Knight? You can Shovel bounce off the weird landmine orbs he shoots out, he replaces the missiles with them at half health or so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I tried that but just took damage so I assumed that wouldn't work. Guess I just screwed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I tried that but just took damage so I assumed that wouldn't work. Guess I just screwed it up.

You can shovel bounce on basically everything but spikes and certain projectiles.

• Locked thread