Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LolitaSama posted:

So there's an immigration attorney who is regularly quoted on Breitbart.com, and most recently appeared on there to endorse Donald Trump and to argue against birthright citizenship. This guy works with wealthy "investor visa" applicants, so he probably doesn't have to deal with the unwashed masses of illegals who would be offended by his natavism.

I left him a bad review on Yelp and he's now threatening to sue me. I'm not a lawyer. Should I delete the review and profusely apologize and beg not to be sued or should I double-down and tell him to come at me. Please help...

Tell him to go gently caress himself, he can't prove damages caused by a bad Yelp review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

LolitaSama posted:

So there's an immigration attorney who is regularly quoted on Breitbart.com, and most recently appeared on there to endorse Donald Trump and to argue against birthright citizenship. This guy works with wealthy "investor visa" applicants, so he probably doesn't have to deal with the unwashed masses of illegals who would be offended by his natavism.

I left him a bad review on Yelp and he's now threatening to sue me. I'm not a lawyer. Should I delete the review and profusely apologize and beg not to be sued or should I double-down and tell him to come at me. Please help...

He may not even know who you are. Unless you are using your actual name for Yelp. Basically how is he going to properly serve you with a complaint is he gonna try and get that information from Yelp? Including your full name and your location? How would he go about doing this?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 25, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hollismason posted:

He may not even know who you are.

Tell him to send his suit to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LolitaSama posted:

My completely untrained, not legal advice opinion is that you tell him to go gently caress himself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ReidRansom posted:

My completely untrained, not legal advice opinion is that you tell him to go gently caress himself.

This is very good advice.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

LolitaSama posted:

"Go gently caress You Are Self"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay here is what you gotta do.

Step 1 Respond with a nice email saying the following " I did not realize that blah blah balh . then ask them how to take the Yelp review down include how poor you are and what your situation is. Make it sound insane but serious, include very personal problems"

STep 2 They're probably actually respond with how to take down a yelp review

Step 3 Post another Yelp Review

STep 4 Email them and ask why it posted another yelp review

Step 5

Keep doing this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LolitaSama posted:

Tell him that if he's going to be this salty then instead of joining the tea party he should have joined the lemon party.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Litany Unheard posted:

I am not a lawyer.

He can't show damages from a bad Yelp review so he won't get anything if you contest it. Also what you said was directly related to public statements he made about a political topic, which opens him up to criticism he wouldn't face as a private citizen who keeps their head down. However if he is a legitimate crazy person he can still try to sue you and drag you into court which could be expensive. Some states have laws against these types of frivolous suits, but that's a question for an actual attorney.

Retain Leonard J. Crabs.

He's an immigration attorney saying birthright citizenship isn't a thing and is making legal noises in a field he doesn't practice in. Also he is ignoring one of the cardinal rules of lawyerdom: he who represents himself has a fool for a client. Crazy person might be a decent bet.

Speak with an actual attorney but in all likelihood it won't matter in a week because yelp's spam/abuse filter will bury a one off review by a new account.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Also not a lawyer.

How big is Barella Law vs. just the guy himself? He might have a leg to stand on legally if you're publicly criticizing the entire firm for the personal opinions of one employee - but it might be a one man show and tbh I'm not sure if he could still make that argument anyway. Obviously he's at least a big shot there if it's named after him.

In the hotel industry we actually do have an approximate dollar cost mathed out for each negative review on TripAdvisor, though TripAdvisor itself is generally pretty serious about taking down fake or suspect reviews to protect their own brand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Email them this

Hi, this is ___________. I am writing in regard to your latest email. You are correct I am not a client of your law firm. I would like to cooperate as best I can but I cannot seem to take down the Yelp review. Do you know the methods for taking it down? I email Yelp but have not gotten a response. I am very sorry that this review has made you so upset that you are considering suing me. I just recently finished a law suit with ________ firm due to my roommate being unwilling to accept bitcoins as a currency for rent. He was also very critical towards my lifestyle choices. I am a Dual Spirit Fox Bisexual. This means that I am a human being but also I share the soul of a fox who is bisexual. I am not in fact bisexual but my fox spirit is. I was upset with my roommate not accepting bit coins for tenure. I have set up a "farm" with fellow bit coins in a neighboring home, we have installed solar panels in order to provide the energy for our server farm in order to mine bitcoins. If you do not know BitCoins are a legitimate currency or cryptocurrency created by using a algorithm and a compute processer to mine them. If you would like more information please let me know. I have went ahead and signed your email up for a subscription to our newletter "DualFAP'. It's specific purpose is to address issues in the furmunity or Furry community which I am a part of only because of my dual spirit nature. I myself am not a furry, but because of my Fox Spirit I engage the community so that it will be able to be surrounded by other people similar to me. In your email you claim that I have never been a client, however sometimes I am overwhelmed by my fox spirit and enter into what my psychiatrist calls a "fugue". I may be registered under another name at your law firm. Can you please check your records for a Winter Howling? This is my dual spirit name.

I would like very much to cooperate with your law firm. If you could send me detailed instructions on how to remove the yelp review I will gladly remove it. I have also included 3 bitcoins in this email.

Sincerely

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 25, 2015

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Email them this

Hi, this is ___________. I am writing in regard to your latest email. You are correct I am not a client of your law firm. I would like to cooperate as best I can but I cannot seem to take down the Yelp review. Do you know the methods for taking it down? I email Yelp but have not gotten a response. I am very sorry that this review has made you so upset that you are considering suing me. I just recently finished a law suit with ________ firm due to my roommate being unwilling to accept bitcoins as a currency for rent. He was also very critical towards my lifestyle choices. I am a Dual Spirit Fox Bisexual. This means that I am a human being but also I share the soul of a fox who is bisexual. I am not in fact bisexual but my fox spirit is. I was upset with my roommate not accepting bit coins for tenure. I have set up a "farm" with fellow bit coins in a neighboring home, we have installed solar panels in order to provide the energy for our server farm in order to mine bitcoins. If you do not know BitCoins are a legitimate currency or cryptocurrency created by using a algorithm and a compute processer to mine them. If you would like more information please let me know. I have went ahead and signed your email up for a subscription to our newletter "DualFAP'. It's specific purpose is to address issues in the furmunity or Furry community which I am a part of only because of my dual spirit nature. I myself am not a furry, but because of my Fox Spirit I engage the community so that it will be able to be surrounded by other people similar to me. In your email you claim that I have never been a client, however sometimes I am overwhelmed by my fox spirit and enter into what my psychiatrist calls a "fugue". I may be registered under another name at your law firm. Can you please check your records for a Winter Howling? This is my dual spirit name.

I would like very much to cooperate with your law firm. If you could send me detailed instructions on how to remove the yelp review I will gladly remove it. I have also included 3 bitcoins in this email.

Sincerely

Send him this exactly, don't even fill in the blanks

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Out-Of-Control Scott Walker Injured After Wildly Careening Between Stances On Immigration

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Hollismason posted:

Email them this

Sincerely

This is actually the best answer ever.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

LolitaSama posted:

He's not a very good lawyer. He said his law firm has never contacted you in his contact with you. You should give him a bad yelp review for it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
poo poo, we should all write bad reviews for his firm and then send him that when he complains. That's pretty drat funny.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phone posted:

Tell him to send his suit to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

1060 West Addison.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yes, gently caress the ricketts

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Once in a while Vox does good things, their take on Biden's non-candidacy-candidacy is pretty good:

quote:

Beyond that, Biden's very persona has made him difficult to take seriously — his jokey, unscripted, gaffe-prone style makes him a figure of fun. Democrats may have affection for Biden, but few people want to give the nuclear codes to someone they view as America's wacky uncle. So, barring some sudden and scandalous revelation that ends Clinton's career, if Biden does get in the race, there's little reason to expect his campaign would be remotely competitive.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/4/9091043/joe-biden-2016-president

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This is why you post your fake reviews with a disposable account on a VPN.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hollismason posted:

He may not even know who you are. Unless you are using your actual name for Yelp. Basically how is he going to properly serve you with a complaint is he gonna try and get that information from Yelp? Including your full name and your location? How would he go about doing this?

Subpoena yelp for the IP that left the message then subpoena the ISP to get your home address. It's not that hard.

Radbot posted:

This is why you post your fake reviews with a disposable account on a VPN.

This. Don't start a slap fight with lawyers if you don't know what you're doing.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

duz posted:

Subpoena yelp for the IP that left the message then subpoena the ISP to get your home address. It's not that hard.

That method isn't about avoiding being caught. It's simply about constructing a barrier so that the lawyer has to start doing real work if he wants to throw his big lawyer dick around, and most of them are lazy as poo poo with stuff like this so they usually aren't interested.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Once in a while Vox does good things, their take on Biden's non-candidacy-candidacy is pretty good:

USPOL Sept: Let's Give America's Wacky Uncle the Launch Codes

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

RuanGacho posted:

Trump vs. Biden - Racist Uncle vs. Wacky Uncle

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RuanGacho posted:

it wouldn't be any worse than setting the codes to all zeros because gently caress SAC says: 'gently caress civilian authority' like we did for the cold war

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like the idea of implanting the codes inside of a presidential aide so POTUS has to kill a guy before he can launch the missiles.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why would a dude that's trying to kill millions of people have a problem killing one

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

Why would a dude that's trying to kill millions of people have a problem killing one

Because it's his grandson

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah I'd suggest not responding at all. He's just beating his chest and your failure to respond to his intimidation will be even more effective then telling him to gently caress off.

If he's dumb enough to take it further you could probably find a liberal inclined attorney to represent you pro bono.

Not a lawyer, etc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know if y'all saw, but Trump went off on Megyn Kelly again last night on Twitter and rt'ed a post about her being a bimbo.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

LolitaSama posted:

I know this was last page but lmao, the kind of person who leaves bad yelp reviews over politics spotted in the kinda-flesh. I thought you guys were confined to facebook and twitter.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Funny line, but it seems silly to write an article dismissing someone's chances because they're polling badly in a race they're not even in yet.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LolitaSama posted:

So there's an immigration attorney who is regularly quoted on Breitbart.com, and most recently appeared on there to endorse Donald Trump and to argue against birthright citizenship. This guy works with wealthy "investor visa" applicants, so he probably doesn't have to deal with the unwashed masses of illegals who would be offended by his nativism.

Hahaha you're a loving idiot and shouldn't be doing snivelly poo poo like this if you weren't ready to respond to this exact situation. It doesn't matter whether or not the lawyer has a leg to stand on for suing you (probably not (I am not a lawyer)).

Mr. Fed
Aug 23, 2006

LolitaSama posted:

LolitaSama:

I help people threatened with bogus defamation threats find pro bono help. I also write about bogus defamation threats. I'd like to write about this one. Feel free to reach out to me. ken at popehat etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Patty Murray makes it 29-2 in favor of the Iran Deal among the Senate Democrats. Five more and it's a lock.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Patty Murray makes it 29-2 in favor of the Iran Deal among the Senate Democrats. Five more and it's a lock.

I'm a bit surprised that we're not there already, or that McConnell hasn't started offering bullshit sweeteners like, "Demand that they recognize Israel" or "Demand US prisoners back".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm a bit surprised that we're not there already, or that McConnell hasn't started offering bullshit sweeteners like, "Demand that they recognize Israel" or "Demand US prisoners back".

It's because Congress is in recess, so they're all at home and there's no big incentive for announcing their position early on this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

It's because Congress is in recess, so they're all at home and there's no big incentive for announcing their position early on this.

Has the Iran deal managed to crowd out the defund planned parenthood bullshit? I seem to recall them promising to slip defunding language into any CR required to keep the government open but that was a while ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The problem with BLM is that everyone's wearing sagging pants, so says someone who literally marched with MLK.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quote of the Day:

quote:

Donald Trump's surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at FOX News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise. I could not be more proud of Megyn for her professionalism and class in the face of all of Mr. Trump’s verbal assaults. Her questioning of Mr. Trump at the debate was tough but fair, and I fully support her as she continues to ask the probing and challenging questions that all presidential candidates may find difficult to answer. Donald Trump rarely apologizes, although in this case, he should. We have never been deterred by politicians or anyone else attacking us for doing our job, much less allowed ourselves to be bullied by anyone and we’re certainly not going to start now. All of our journalists will continue to report in the fair and balanced way that has made FOX News Channel the number one news network in the indust

- Roger Ailes

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

The problem with BLM is that everyone's wearing sagging pants, so says someone who literally marched with MLK.

"It's not that we're over-comfortable people who've lost our ability to identify with the youthful anger and enthusiasm of BLM that keeps us from supporting them, it's the saggy pants and hippety hop."

• Locked thread