Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
There's no rage, no disappointment, not even mild irritation anymore. VLR has deprived me of every reaction other than a resigned "yep, that's something you do, game".
E: BTW, is anyone else getting really weird font on Something Awful right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So... Sigma has 9 points. This is strange new territory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's not just you. Everything looks blockier.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, make your bets, people: instant bullshit game over or not? Given this game's track record, I'm betting on bullshit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hogama posted:

So... Sigma has 9 points. This is strange new territory.

We can do it again once we jump back to the everyone dies path! We're up against a dead Luna after all last time we left.

Come to think of it, that might be the only chance we have to get 9 points from allying in the first round, right? Whenever we allied with Tenmyouji or Alice in the first round we get Betrayed down to 1.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Aumanor posted:

Okay, make your bets, people: instant bullshit game over or not? Given this game's track record, I'm betting on bullshit.

I think there's gonna be some plot-lock with Phi blocking the door and Zigma going "well poo poo, I can't get past her. - HOW DO WE GET PAST PHI". I mean, a game over would be nice and this is probably the closest we are gonna get to one.

Unless Zigma decides to stay behind. Please don't Zigma :ohdear:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You know his name starts with an S, right?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Aumanor posted:

E: BTW, is anyone else getting really weird font on Something Awful right now?

Really weird colors, really weird drop shadows, really weird HTML1 table effects... There's like 5 threads about this across the forums and no answers...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Aumanor posted:

There's no rage, no disappointment, not even mild irritation anymore. VLR has deprived me of every reaction other than a resigned "yep, that's something you do, game".

This pair of choices is one of the best ones in the game. If you pick betray first.

Otherwise it's just dumb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I should be more upset at this but I like the fact that Phi's reasons for betraying us before are the same reasons we're betraying her now. Namely "I trusted you and then you betrayed me. So i'm gonna go back in time and instead betray you. Because gently caress YOU!!! :argh:"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I should be more upset at this but I like the fact that Phi's reasons for betraying us before are the same reasons we're betraying her now. Namely "I trusted you and then you betrayed me. So i'm gonna go back in time and instead betray you. Because gently caress YOU!!! :argh:"

One does have to wonder, though, how she knew that she'd end up in a timeline where he'd choose ally.

It'd be pretty awkward if she went back and chose betray at the same time he chose betray, putting her plan for revenge on ice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One does have to wonder, though, how she knew that she'd end up in a timeline where he'd choose ally.

It'd be pretty awkward if she went back and chose betray at the same time he chose betray, putting her plan for revenge on ice.

I don't think she did. Stopping Sigma from getting 9 points was probably good enough. It just didn't end up working out that way because of time-travel shenanigans. The only reason she betrayed us, is because we betrayed her. And the only reason we betrayed her is because she betrayed us. So therefore, when she chooses betray Sigma must choose ally and when Sigma chooses betray Phi must choose ally, because otherwise the cycle would be broken and then we'd enter a time paradox or some poo poo.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So the principles of cause and effect are a mere minor inconvenience to the characters in this story. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think she did. Stopping Sigma from getting 9 points was probably good enough. It just didn't end up working out that way because of time-travel shenanigans. The only reason she betrayed us, is because we betrayed her. And the only reason we betrayed her is because she betrayed us. So therefore, when she chooses betray Sigma must choose ally and when Sigma chooses betray Phi must choose ally, because otherwise the cycle would be broken and then we'd enter a time paradox or some poo poo.

It's a shame Snake isn't in this game. This would've been the perfect time to make an MGS3 joke.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:geno: What a surprise.

If we go back to the branch we just came from and choose to Ally with Phi again, would that change the scene? (I doubt it.)

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Why do I have the odd feeling that Sigma might not even make it through the door due to ''unexpected'' reasons?

I mean, we have 9 points, what could possibly go wrong?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:geno: What a surprise.

If we go back to the branch we just came from and choose to Ally with Phi again, would that change the scene? (I doubt it.)

Geez Stabby; have some faith. Did the scenes change the last time we had Schrödinger's AB game?

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

tiistai posted:

This pair of choices is one of the best ones in the game. If you pick betray first.

Otherwise it's just dumb.

Yeah, when Fedule said in the OP that he would force one decision, this event was my first thought (Though I hadn't figured out how that could be pulled off naturally).

Fallord fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 17, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super Jay Mann posted:

So the principles of cause and effect are a mere minor inconvenience to the characters in this story. :allears:

Everything's connected. Cause and effect still occur. Sometimes we just get the effect before the cause.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Heavy neutrino posted:

Geez Stabby; have some faith. Did the scenes change the last time we had Schrödinger's AB game?

Could it be possible that making this decision is (or at least leads to) the thing that releases the plot lock on the opposite path? Huh...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fallord posted:

Yeah, when Fedule said in the OP that he would force one decision, this event was my first thought (Though I hadn't figured out how that could be pulled off naturally).

Y'know, that was the plan, originally, but I ultimately decided against it for exactly the reason you stated. Ultimately, like with a lot of things in this game, you just get a different kind of appeal when you do it in a different order and it's always awesome. What order we do things in matters... and also doesn't really matter.

Maybe I'll force some other choice. Or maybe I won't.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

dunno why we're worrying so much about this, we just loving won :smugdog:

later gaters

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man lots of people ITT really loving thrilled to hate this game.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, finally got caught up on this thread. I wish I had found this earlier. This is so fascinating. Good thing I had decided to read 999 a while ago.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
you know, votes changing makes more sense if you don't think of this in terms of time travel. We aren't moving back and forth on a linear path after all, we're going down different branches. Clearly we were never meant to betray Phi first, she was meant to betray us first, to let us know that in another time and/or world we betrayed her. We're supposed to learn something here.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I love this part. I think it works better overall if you Betray first, but either way you're gonna have an interesting time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, when I did this branch, I went with Betray first just because I figured I'd have to eventually and I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

So it'll be interesting to see if this scene is different from having done Ally before Betray.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Onmi posted:

you know, votes changing makes more sense if you don't think of this in terms of time travel. We aren't moving back and forth on a linear path after all, we're going down different branches. Clearly we were never meant to betray Phi first, she was meant to betray us first, to let us know that in another time and/or world we betrayed her. We're supposed to learn something here.

I thought about that, but I'm more inclined to say it's lazy writing with a plot device for cover so they didn't have to figure out the opposite orders for an already convoluted plot. We already did another one of these branches, and I'm guessing it would have seemed equally silly if we had chosen backwards last time.

Suspension of disbelief only gets you so far. When you start telling people they made choices when they clearly didn't, it's a pretty big jolt. Don't get me wrong - I like a lot of things about the game - but this seems pretty bad for the immersion factor.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

unfair posted:

I thought about that, but I'm more inclined to say it's lazy writing with a plot device for cover so they didn't have to figure out the opposite orders for an already convoluted plot. We already did another one of these branches, and I'm guessing it would have seemed equally silly if we had chosen backwards last time.

Suspension of disbelief only gets you so far. When you start telling people they made choices when they clearly didn't, it's a pretty big jolt. Don't get me wrong - I like a lot of things about the game - but this seems pretty bad for the immersion factor.

The illusion of choice was a pretty big theme in 999. After all, Akane was preordained to succeed because if she didn't the events of the later Nonary Game never happen, so in a sense there was no real player agency in that case either. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing similar in this game under the guise of the Prisoner's Dilemma.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Well since we won, I want to congratulate Fedule on a stunning work of LP.

It's been a thrill to read.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've only got one reply to this, since I knew it would happen ever since the thing with Alice.

":allears:"

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Man lots of people ITT really loving thrilled to hate this game.

You should try not to keep feeling so indignant and personally slighted when people don't react to something you like how you want them to.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NeoNaoNeo posted:

You should try not to keep feeling so indignant and personally slighted when people don't react to something you like how you want them to.

I don't really care, I just think it's odd that before we've even seen this plot twist to it's conclusion, and really, before it's begun, people are getting ready to be upset about it. If you express that much effort into disliking something, maybe you should reevaluate how you're spending your time.

E: I'm glad stuff fell out like this, I think this bit is better when you ally, and then immediately betray.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

When a game betrays your trust, it feels like a part of you dies. For me I guess it was the part that cared.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pierzak posted:

When a game betrays your trust, it feels like a part of you dies. For me I guess it was the part that cared.

:golfclap:

I do find these time travel plot twists pretty weak but hopefully they're doing something cool with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This thread finally convinced me to buy VLR. I guess now that I have a 3DS, I should show my support for the game rather than just watching other people play it, yeah?

Especially if it helps ZE3 get out.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RabidWeasel posted:

:golfclap:

I do find these time travel plot twists pretty weak but hopefully they're doing something cool with it.

As far as I'm concerned, all bullshit will be forgiven the second they dump radical, time travelling robot-mummies on us.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This thread finally convinced me to buy VLR. I guess now that I have a 3DS, I should show my support for the game rather than just watching other people play it, yeah?

Especially if it helps ZE3 get out.

Well, you could just leave the game unopened, and enjoy the potential of what might be inside the box… :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And More posted:

Well, you could just leave the game unopened, and enjoy the potential of what might be inside the box… :v:

Unfortunately, I bought it on eShop, so that joke doesn't apply. :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Unfortunately, I bought it on eShop, so that joke doesn't apply. :smith:

You could have left the present unopened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, people in the thread may have betrayed Phi because she betrayed Sigma, but there's no indication yet that Sigma remembers the betrayal. He said he didn't know why he picked betray in the latest update.

• Locked thread