Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

The good Model 2 is the Model 1.

Oh I agree. But I'd like the OP to be 100% correct. Actually, now you got me wondering why someone would actively seek out a model 2 considering all you need to know about a model 1 is that if it says "high definition graphics" it's a good one.
The only thing I can think of is that they prefer the model 2 Sega CD because they break less, and they feel the model 1 looks terrible next to it. What else could be the reason? There are some that cannot be s-video modded, some that give terrible sound, some that give terrible video; what is it with you model 2 folk?

Unrelated but I love randomly looking on eBay and seeing stuff I never knew existed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-...=item3f1fea7312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

what is it with you model 2 folk?

They're more common and cheaper.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I would love to update the OP with what the good model 2 Genesis has inside it but holy :psyduck: my head hurts.

Short motherboard? Shore motherboard but with notches? Without notches? VA3 with a certain encoder? VA3 without a certain encoder? VA4 with a certain encoder? VA4 without a certain encoder?

Here's the :psypop:

All revisions except VA4 have the potential of different encoders. The first two however cannot have Sony encoders in them, the middle have an option of 3 and the last has two I believe. Basically if you are gonna be a sperg about your audio and video with a Genesis, get a HDG model 1 and be happy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What is it with you model 2 folk?

- Proper stereo output from the rear of the system, without life support-style cabling leading to the front of the system
- Looks correct with a Sega CD 2 and 32x
- Smaller/lighter

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

elf help book posted:

The good Model 2 is the Model 1.

The best advice. Just buy a model 1 and don't worry about all the model 2 variations. Plus the model 1 on top of the model 2 sega cd with extension plate makes the system hilariously large. Huge and cumbersome is like half of the proper 16 bit Sega experience.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

univbee posted:

- Proper stereo output from the rear of the system, without life support-style cabling leading to the front of the system
- Smaller/lighter

- Looks wrong with original Power Base Converter
- Looks wrong.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The MD1 looks way cooler anyway. Especially with the MCD1. It's just.. right. So very right.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of members of the model 1 club, I hooked it up with a stereo audio cable today and played some Dragon's Fury.

:rock:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of members of the model 1 club, I hooked it up with a stereo audio cable today and played some Dragon's Fury.

:rock:

gently caress yes, you are a champion. Classic Game Room also chucked up a video of it yesterday. Everyone should be playing Devil's Crush/Dragon's Fury and rocking out to the sweet sweet FM synth.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

The MD1 looks way cooler anyway. Especially with the MCD1. It's just.. right. So very right.

I want to get rid of my 32x just because of this. The 32x makes an awesome looking system appear....strange.

flyboi posted:

Here's the :psypop:

All revisions except VA4 have the potential of different encoders. The first two however cannot have Sony encoders in them, the middle have an option of 3 and the last has two I believe.

I keep reading this over and over again and still nothing is clicking :catstare:

In other news I am selling my PowerPak with 2GB CF card (the one RetroUSB sells with it for an extra $17...I think this is the rare instance where make/model of card matters) for $100 shipped if anyone here is interested. It goes for $152+ shipping on RetroUSB so it's a :siren: DEAL OF THE CENTURY :siren: .

Seriously though I'm broke please buy it from me

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress yes, you are a champion. Classic Game Room also chucked up a video of it yesterday. Everyone should be playing Devil's Crush/Dragon's Fury and rocking out to the sweet sweet FM synth.

Should be played in its superior form on PC Engine. :dealwithit:

vv Hey, if you guys are gonna sit here and insist on the superiority of the Model 1 Genny, I'm going to insist on the superiority of the PC Engine instead. :buddy:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I know, but the MD port is still good. Technosoft did a fine job with it. Kudos for throwing in some Thunderforce II songs as a bonus, too.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

univbee posted:

- Smaller/lighter

Wait, so you have to plug the sound into the headphone jack to get stereo sound from a model one Genesis? Why is this the first I've heard of this. :psyduck:

Actually, now you got me wondering why someone would actively seek out a model 2 considering all you need to know about a model 1 is that if it says "high definition graphics" it's a good one.
The only thing I can think of is that they prefer the model 2 Sega CD because they break less, and they feel the model 1 looks terrible next to it. What else could be the reason? There are some that cannot be s-video modded, some that give terrible sound, some that give terrible video; what is it with you model 2 folk?

In some cases, maybe they can't find a model 1 locally and want to dumpster dive for the best model 2 they can manage. (This may end up being what I do depending on how my shop hunting goes in the next few weeks.)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Caitlin posted:

MD version has better music and better playfield scaling -- it's not zoomed in as tightly vertically, since the score display is on the side.

PCE version has more detailed graphics, but the color scheme looks a little washed out to me.

I definitely prefer the MD version, but both versions are excellent.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

flyboi posted:

:stare: Jesus I'm half-tempted to bid on one of these things just to piss my partner off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLE-SALE-FAMICOM-170-GREAT-LOT-JP-IMPORT-/310574776786

Why can't they do that in America? God drat cheap asses.

The wholesale lots you see on US eBay are complete junk. 90% worthless sports titles. What you see in the picture is the 'best' of the lot, which is a few games maybe worth 100-300 yen each. They're also not in good condition, as these lots are usually random titles that don't sell, are in bad shape, etc.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Caitlin posted:

vv Hey, if you guys are gonna sit here and insist on the superiority of the Model 1 Genny, I'm going to insist on the superiority of the PC Engine instead. :buddy:

The TG16 might be awesome if only they and their games weren't absolutely and I mean absolutely impossible to find on my random Goodwill & thrift store adventures.

I even managed to find a model 1 Genesis with a model 2 Sega CD already attached with 13 games for like $24 a couple of years ago locally, and even this year I found a M2 Gen with a M2 SCD at a Goodwill, but it was the filthiest, rusted, nastiest console I've ever seen. And I still considered taking it home in a plastic bag to clean it up, but I'm sure it was a lost cause.

I don't recall ever seen anything, even a loose controller or a sports game, ever, for TG16 out in the wild. They're just not out there, and I manage to hunt down retro poo poo all the time. What the hell

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Regarding all the Genesis stuff, I just remembered I had a pastebin that attempted to condense the Sega-16 thread somewhat.
http://pastebin.com/ksv77KSf (I didn't do a very good job of it, but oh well, it's something.)

The short of it is at the top, really, I'd imagine most people would be best suited with just going for the HDG Model 1.
I, however, am going maximum :spergin: for a Model 2 VA2.0/2.3 with the Sony encoder, so I can fix the audio balance.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where do I find the video encoder on a model 2 (va 2.3), I'm going to actually check tonight to see what I have in my va2.3

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ohnoitschris posted:

The TG16 might be awesome if only they and their games weren't absolutely and I mean absolutely impossible to find on my random Goodwill & thrift store adventures.

I even managed to find a model 1 Genesis with a model 2 Sega CD already attached with 13 games for like $24 a couple of years ago locally, and even this year I found a M2 Gen with a M2 SCD at a Goodwill, but it was the filthiest, rusted, nastiest console I've ever seen. And I still considered taking it home in a plastic bag to clean it up, but I'm sure it was a lost cause.

I don't recall ever seen anything, even a loose controller or a sports game, ever, for TG16 out in the wild. They're just not out there, and I manage to hunt down retro poo poo all the time. What the hell

They're out there, just not around you apparently (and obviously in smaller quantities than the rest), but most of the games are still pretty reasonable in retro pricing terms to purchase online. The card still goes for $25 which is not THAT bad for one of the more desirable games on the system.

If you're in this only to buy things cheaply you are in the wrong hobby, friendo!

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Where do I find the video encoder on a model 2 (va 2.3), I'm going to actually check tonight to see what I have in my va2.3

On mine (VA4) it was in the top left of the board if you're looking at it from above. It's pretty small, but it's between the pin connector and ports on the back of the console.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

In other news I am selling my PowerPak with 2GB CF card (the one RetroUSB sells with it for an extra $17...I think this is the rare instance where make/model of card matters) for $100 shipped if anyone here is interested. It goes for $152+ shipping on RetroUSB so it's a :siren: DEAL OF THE CENTURY :siren: .

Seriously though I'm broke please buy it from me

For what it's worth it should sell in about a day if you put it up on eBay for that price... I should know, I just sold almost the exact same set on eBay for almost the same price and it took like a day from listing to bought.

So if you need the cash fast it'll do well.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It's a chip near the video outputs on the board

That chip with the MB is the decoder, it's not always in that exact location but very close.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Caitlin posted:

They're out there, just not around you apparently (and obviously in smaller quantities than the rest), but most of the games are still pretty reasonable in retro pricing terms to purchase online. The card still goes for $25 which is not THAT bad for one of the more desirable games on the system.

If you're in this only to buy things cheaply you are in the wrong hobby, friendo!

I'm "that guy" at my local retro shop that buys $50 NES games occasionally when they're a relatively good deal :v: So I know about prices and things, it just seems like nobody in my city must have bought a TG16. Even the retro shops have a pretty slim collection for sale.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Protip: Get a model 2, don't worry about it and go play a drat video game!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Antillese posted:

Protip: Get a model 2, don't worry about it and go play a drat video game!

But I want pixles so sharp that they blasts my processors. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have a model 1 Genesis hooked up to my model 1 CD, and a model 2 Genesis hooked up to my model 2 CD and my 32X. The best of both worlds. :smuggo:

(if I could find the drat cable for hooking up a 32X to a model 1 Genesis, I'd do that as well)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ohnoitschris posted:

I'm "that guy" at my local retro shop that buys $50 NES games occasionally when they're a relatively good deal :v: So I know about prices and things, it just seems like nobody in my city must have bought a TG16. Even the retro shops have a pretty slim collection for sale.

They only sold 2.5 million TG16 consoles in the US and Canada compared to about 23 million for the Genesis and 23 million for the SNES. So there's a lot less to go around 20 years later.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I would love to update the OP with what the good model 2 Genesis has inside it but holy :psyduck: my head hurts.

Short motherboard? Shore motherboard but with notches? Without notches? VA3 with a certain encoder? VA3 without a certain encoder? VA4 with a certain encoder? VA4 without a certain encoder?

I'm quoting this for posterity, so that I can tell my future grandchildren of the Day We Broke Hamburglar.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Midnight Raider posted:

Wait, so you have to plug the sound into the headphone jack to get stereo sound from a model one Genesis? Why is this the first I've heard of this. :psyduck:

Yup. That connector in the back only outputs mono sound (I think it's the exact same cable the Master System uses which is why this limitation exists: confirm/deny?) People who make custom output cables offer versions that have a headphone cable running out the front and around the system to merge with the rest of the cable. I have both a model 1 SCART cable and 32x model 1 cable with this connectivity.

In other news, I got my 2nd 32x and it works perfectly! Now I can enjoy all the good ga...oh.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Midnight Raider posted:

Yep, that's exactly what you have to do, and it's why a SCART cable for one that supports stereo audio looks like this.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

univbee posted:

In other news, I got my 2nd 32x and it works perfectly! Now I can enjoy all the good ga...oh.

There's like 5-6ish.....maybe 4?

There's only like 40 something games in the whole library, that means there's 1/10th of the entire library that's solid. Do you know how many consoles don't even have 1/10th minimum from bad game to good game ratio? Not many. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

univbee posted:

Yup. That connector in the back only outputs mono sound (I think it's the exact same cable the Master System uses which is why this limitation exists: confirm/deny?)

Pretty sure it's the same connector as the SMS2, yeah.

quote:

Man I don't even know if my 32X works at all. I've had it for years, but have no games for it. It's actually been modded to have some sort of RF connector coming out of it.

I probably should grab a cheap copy of Doom or Metal Head or something and try it some day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

There's like 5-6ish.....maybe 4?

There's only like 40 something games in the whole library, that means there's 1/10th of the entire library that's solid. Do you know how many consoles don't even have 1/10th minimum from bad game to good game ratio? Not many. :colbert:

Yeah, admittedly my first impression of the system wasn't helped by the fact that the first 32x I had emitted a high pitched screeching noise when it was on (yes, seriously) and had distorted video.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
How hard is it to find a working a TurboCD these days? I need to get some Composite out on my TG16 and I don't want to just buy a power base.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pretty sure it's the same connector as the SMS2, yeah.

Man I don't even know if my 32X works at all. I've had it for years, but have no games for it. It's actually been modded to have some sort of RF connector coming out of it.

I probably should grab a cheap copy of Doom or Metal Head or something and try it some day.

I think Metal Head might be the only good 3D game for the 32X (that's not a port). I haven't played it myself, but it looks cool. The 32X in general is a prime example of the early-mid 90s mindset of "this hardware isn't quite good enough for 3D, but we won't let that stop us". It's sort of impressive how they made that Zaxxon game, a sequel to a 15 year old game, and got it to look so much worse than the original.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

My SD2SNES arrived today, but I think it's DOA.

It doesn't output video with a SD card (and firmware) inserted. It doesn't output video without a SC card inserted.

With a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up initially, but then the red and yellow lights quickly go out leaving the green light on. Without a SD card inserted, all the LEDs light up and stay on.

Tried it with multiple SD cards and multiple AV/S-video cords, to no avail... nothing displays on the TV regardless of the setup. Tested other carts and they work fine.

I emailed the address associated with my Paypal receipt (biokrik@gmail.com) does anyone know if KRIKzz answers that?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Djarum posted:

How hard is it to find a working a TurboCD these days? I need to get some Composite out on my TG16 and I don't want to just buy a power base.

Here's my TGCD story: I bought a guy's set of TG16 stuff which included the CD add-on, two controllers, and a TurboGrafx-16 hard plastic carrying case off of eBay. TG16 works, while the CD add-on did not. Turns out the connector for the power base to CD drive is busted, but I managed to test out the CD drive separately (you can pretty much use it as a portable CD player, but it doesn't use batteries so you have to plug it in to an AC adapter) and it worked. About two weeks later I find a guy on eBay selling the power base "as parts" and untested for pretty cheap. Works fine, everything is right with the world.

This was three years ago, and it took me a while to find a guy selling the CD add-on at all, let alone one that worked (in this case it didn't really but was fixable). I'm going to assume that time has not been kind to the add-on, and you should probably get a TurboDuo instead. I, on the other hand, like hunting down harder-to-acquire hardware, but that's just me; I love the goofy TG16/CD combo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Djarum posted:

It's extraordinarily hard to find one that works when it arrives. It's relatively easy, if I remember right, to repair them however, provided you're handy with desoldering and soldering.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well I already own a TG16 so I figured it would be simpler just to buy the CD. US TurboDuos were insanely expensive last I looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

univbee posted:

Yeah, admittedly my first impression of the system wasn't helped by the fact that the first 32x I had emitted a high pitched screeching noise when it was on (yes, seriously) and had distorted video.

There's a ribbon cable inside the 32x that easily becomes disconnected and gives garbled video. Open it up, reseat the white ribbon cable, and things are good to go!

• Locked thread