Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It'll be a 4L65-e if its not an 80. Still decent, you can hook up a tranny temp gauge and a decent cooler, keep the temps under 200 and you'll be fine.

Nice thing about 6.0s is they really are a million mile motor in a 250k body. Top end refresh should be all it needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea thatd be sweet if the bottom end is solid. Id want to put some kind of torque cam in it anyway so thatd work out nicely. Ill mic the bores and stuff and see whats up when I take it apart.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I bet you pop the heads off and see factory crosshatching and the rings and rod/main bearings are all fine.

(And then slam new gaskets and a cam in it and in she goes!)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Don't go to wild on your cam (its your truck do as you please)... Keep the grunt. The 6.0 is a hell of a good truck motor.

Hell it's a good motor period.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea thatd be sweet if the bottom end is solid. Id want to put some kind of torque cam in it anyway so thatd work out nicely. Ill mic the bores and stuff and see whats up when I take it apart.

Hot Rod tried to blow up a 5.3 and managed over 1200 HP on the dyno, and over 60 dyno pulls (most of them over 1000 hp)... except it wound up being a 4.8 that was sold to them as a 5.3. Stock bottom end, just regapped the rings. New cam and some head work, headers, plus a couple of turbos.

The LS series just spews power. And erections, when it's spitting out 1200 HP from a 4.8. :gizz:

Just think how the 6.0 will react to just a cam and maybe headers. Obviously you won't be able to rev it to nearly 10k like Hot Rod did, but you'll be able to pull Ken's house across the state without even realizing anything is attached to the truck, even in stock trim.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea it wont be a wild cam at all. More of an RV cam for low end since thats what Id need. I have done no research on that yet so I may be talking out my rear end and can just leave it stock. Ive got to get the van first and hopefully getting a free car isnt as hard as it was for 14".

Its definitely, definitely getting headers though, long tubes. Im not gonna make it loud since thats obnoxious in a work truck but it will make good sounds for sure. Ill probably just use the exhaust thats on there now since its in good shape and sounds nice even with the wheezy 350.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yes, change to headers. The exhaust manifolds on the late 02 motors through 06 are notorious for cracking so you end up with what sounds like lifter tick, but its just tiny cracks that sound like poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

We picked up the dentside today. It definitely only has 50k on it. The motor and tranny are tighter than a frogs rear end in a top hat. Even the paint and chrome cleaned up loving awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to live in the America that truck promised.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to live in the America that truck promised.

loving same, that thing is awesome as hell. Wanna cruise around all day with my dog in the passenger seat blaring CCR and not giving a single gently caress about anything.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

We drove it around my driveway drinking beer and listening to Peacefrog and throwing the empty cans through the rear slider.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I started a thread for the Buick on an antique car forum and found a TON of information about it so far. Its not the really rare one that Ive been looking at on youtube and stuff but still pretty rare. Here is what people have told me so far:

quote:

This looks to be a small series and is a convertible coupe as there was no roadster offered in 1932. The 50 series has a 114" WB. The 60 series has a 118" WB. Production 33-56C 630 made. For the 32-66C was 450.

Best of luck with it!

Larry

quote:

It's a 1932 model 56C. The larger series had a round crossbar across the frame in front of the lower apron. The 50 series had the starter on the driver side of the motor and fuel pump on the passenger side. the larger series had the starter on the passenger side sand a double acting fuel pump on the driverside.

Literature is readily available in reproduction form for the 1932 Buicks.

Serial # will be on the outside of the frame just behind the right front wheel. Engine number is stamped on a boss on the engine block passenger side just above the distributor.

There were 630 of this model built. There are 3 members of BCA listed for this model.

The wizzard control was standard on all 1932 models.

Your car is a called a 4 passenger convertible coupe roadster

To the best of my knowledge, there are no engineering drawings of the wood parts. I used the old pieces as patterns to produce my replacement Ash wood pieces. Poplar wood around windows and roof crossbows. I still have my old wood parts, If you need any particular pieces as patterns, send me a PM.

You will need to get to know Bob's Automobilia and Mac Blair if you tackle the restoration, as they are the best source for reproduction parts. I've got a lot of drive train old parts if you need anything contact me. All 50 series cars had the same drive train. The convertible top parts will be unique to the 56C. Dash parts will be common to all 50 series cars. The windshield frame parts will be a challenge to find.

Bob Engle

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

We drove it around my driveway drinking beer and listening to Peacefrog and throwing the empty cans through the rear slider.

That's the only way to deal with emptys when in a truck with a slider window. We used to do that in my bricknose F-150 after we got off work.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I started a thread for the Buick on an antique car forum and found a TON of information about it so far. Its not the really rare one that Ive been looking at on youtube and stuff but still pretty rare. Here is what people have told me so far:

I gotta wonder, with wood-frame cars, is it possible to upgrade to metal for a little bit of crash survivability? Or is it new enough that only ancillary things are made of wood, and the frame is metal? I've seen video of those wood-frame TATA trucks folding up like cheap suits in accidents and, well, that would make me a touch nervous.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, metal-frame vehicles from that era aren't exactly better. Making a car that old safe by modern standards would basically require re-engineering the whole thing from scratch.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I used to ride these motorized bikes when I had no license. It was a fun time though.
The best one I made was a six speed deralier setup that could do 50mph with a tailwind or downhill. It would pull around 40 on a flat
The single speed ones usually went 30-35mph.

The tuned one had a 19mm carb, was ported with an expansion chamber exhaust and bumped compression.

I ran three or four of them during my licence suspension. Two for transport and the other ones for speed runs.

Myself and my buddy went racing on them...

I used castor oil for the extra speed & aroma on those runs.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Red_October_7000 posted:

I gotta wonder, with wood-frame cars, is it possible to upgrade to metal for a little bit of crash survivability? Or is it new enough that only ancillary things are made of wood, and the frame is metal? I've seen video of those wood-frame TATA trucks folding up like cheap suits in accidents and, well, that would make me a touch nervous.

It has a metal frame, its just the floor, seat, parts of the doors, rumble seat and the bows for the roof that are wood. It just couldnt be made safe I dont think. Pretty much nothing I drive is safe except maybe the fozzy so Im pretty used to living on the edge anyway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

wildemere posted:

I used to ride these motorized bikes when I had no license. It was a fun time though.
The best one I made was a six speed deralier setup that could do 50mph with a tailwind or downhill. It would pull around 40 on a flat
The single speed ones usually went 30-35mph.

The tuned one had a 19mm carb, was ported with an expansion chamber exhaust and bumped compression.

I ran three or four of them during my licence suspension. Two for transport and the other ones for speed runs.

Myself and my buddy went racing on them...

I used castor oil for the extra speed & aroma on those runs.

That is soooo cool. Chrisgt has something like that that he calls the deathbike. Going 30-35 on that must be quite the experience.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fart Pipe posted:

That is soooo cool. Chrisgt has something like that that he calls the deathbike. Going 30-35 on that must be quite the experience.

Yea, I have the same thing. Single speed, mine used to do about 40 on a flat stretch. I changed the port timing for higher RPM, did a port and polish, planed the head down (with a power planer...) and only ran high octane in it. I didn't bring it to neai because the piston melted and now it won't go over about 20....

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got new shoes for the Ram. Fuckers put the blackwalls out the first time so I had to get them changed this morning. They made my old truck look super awesome.

Some more pics of the F100. The paint buffed out ok for how oxidized it was. Were gonna work on it some more tonight when my friend gets back.

The seat looks like its never even been farted on

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I had an 84 ranger with a sliding window and a bench seat. Many an empty beer was tossed threw that window. Your picture reminds me of driving around with the six pack cooler inbetween me and a friend.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god that truck is awesome. What are you gonna do with it once you clean it up?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Havent really decided yet. Last night while drunk it was going to get a full 5.0 roller motor swap with a T5, headers and stuff but it will probably stay pretty stock since the drivetrain is in such great shape. Definitely needs better rear gears though, it has like 2.73s so some 3.55s or something would really wake it up.

Ended up changing the ignition switch last might because even with a new solenoid the engine wouldnt crank with the key. That still didnt work so I stuck my head under the dash to find some hill billy wiring that I repaired and now its fine. Even with the carby being dirty and old rear end wires, plugs, dizzy cap it starts on like half a crank. The parts he ordered to fix that stuff isnt coming until Tuesday so for this weekend it sits.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Actually I lied because if I end up drinking later today Im probably going to drive it around the yard some more and hope some Credence comes on the classic rock station at some point.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Any Rolling Stones song from Exile on Main Street would work, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If I had your compound I would probably set up its own pirate radio station.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ill probably do that once I get my electronics fixing room set up. Theres a room next to my garage in my house thats full of crap from former tenants and stuff. I need to get a dumpster and throw all that poo poo away and set up a place to let the smoke out of electronics. Then its pirate radio time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That would actually be pretty cool.

"Screw DLNA, Airplay, Sonos and all of that poo poo. I've got my own FM station!"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just want to point out that fart pipe lives an amazing life.

:3:

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

It has a metal frame, its just the floor, seat, parts of the doors, rumble seat and the bows for the roof that are wood. It just couldnt be made safe I dont think. Pretty much nothing I drive is safe except maybe the fozzy so Im pretty used to living on the edge anyway.

Heh OK then. Yeah I'm not under an illusions that a car that old could be brought up to modern safety standards without $300,000 and a consulting engineer or two, but there are some things that just make me a bit more nervous than others. Working from the state that that example is in, though, you'd have it torn down far enough to beef up the important points, so why not? Certainly would want steel floors more for practicality than anything else, though. You'd be changing out wood every 3 years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

That would actually be pretty cool.

"Screw DLNA, Airplay, Sonos and all of that poo poo. I've got my own FM station!"

You're listening to KB14 FM, the only station on your dial that doesn't really understand FCC compliance. Up next, Queens of the Stone Age, and then about halfway through I'm just putting on some Stones.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My dad just told me about this song and Ive been driving the 56 a lot lately and its totally my theme song right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAUPhXIshU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I also figured out a huge problem I was having with the 56 today. It seems that I had the brake pedal set way too tight. Every time I would drive it the brakes would work awesome for a short time and then fade really bad and it seemed like the engine would lose tons of power after driving it for more than 20 minutes or so. I took it on a long trip to my dads today (about 30 minutes) and by the time I got there it was struggling to get up hills and the brakes were pretty much not working at all. When I got out I checked each corner and every drum was smoking hot. I knew it wasnt the adjustment for each wheel because I literally just checked all 4 before leaving my house and they were all perfect. I adjusted the brake pedal when I was at my dads so there was a lot more slack in it and on the way home everything worked great, plenty of engine power and brake power and when I got home the drums were barely warm. I have a lot more confidence about driving it longer distances now. I just have to check it out more tomorrow when its warmer outside and make sure that was the problem.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're listening to KB14 FM, the only station on your dial that doesn't really understand FCC compliance. Up next, Queens of the Stone Age, and then about halfway through I'm just putting on some Stones.

"Please donate in advance to our legal fund, for when we inevitably get shut down by the FCC, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC in a five-way legal gangbang!"

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Just read the thread from start to this point.

Would really love to see more video of the 1920's truck with the ahooga horn.

On second thought it might be dangerous to drive that. One honk and other drivers will burst out laughing and lose control of their vehicles.

Cracked_Gear fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 6, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea the brake problem is fixed. Oh man it drives so much better now. Took it to breakfast this morning and it ran like a dream. I hosed up the sound level though, set way too high but you get the gist of the Black Diamond beast under the hood. Gotta fix the donut gasket at the manifold next, it blew out and is loud as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZcFHcAFc2I

Cracked_Gear posted:

Just read the thread from start to this point.

Would really love to see more video of the 1920's truck with the ahooga horn.

On second thought it might be dangerous to drive that. One honk and other drivers will burst out laughing and lose control of their vehicles.

I might mess with that pretty soon, gotta get the Buick inside first though so its safe. The horn is so hilarious, my dad and I were cracking up the day that I showed it to him. Ill probably pick up another 6 volt battery soon so I dont have to keep taking it out of the 56 to play with the other 6 volt stuff.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Put some fog lights on the 56 yesterday. Got them for 20 bucks at a swap meet and they have glass lenses. Just gotta put some 6 volt bulbs in them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Finally got a new brake light switch so I can have brake lights. It had weird connections but bullet connectors fit perfect so I went with those. Just need to heat shrink those ends. All of the current for the brake lights goes directly through this switch so the connections had to be good.

Then I put on some leftover exhaust parts from the C10 on since the old muffler was hammered, literally. The pipes and muffler I had fit perfectly around the PTO linkage and reservoir for the dump bed. Just have to weld up the pipes and make proper hangers. I also want to put a turn down at the end so its not just coming directly out of the muffler. Sorry about the sideways pic but you get the idea. With the new donut gasket at the front and this muffler it sounds so much better. Cant wait to try it out on the road later on.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Had to test the transmission and rear end for stress factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFO4aJ4dMC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fart Pipe posted:

Had to test the transmission and rear end for stress factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFO4aJ4dMC4

DEAR GOD NOT ON THE FRAGILE DRIVEWAY.... think of the pavement.

Every time you burn out, God kills a Lee-Boy.