Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Zurai posted:

I don't. It makes tradition vastly weaker by removing its influence on leader stats, makes it either too easy or too hard to get good generals depending on pricing, makes any source of bonus leader stats (Offensive ideas, various national ideas, AI lucky nations) even stronger than before, makes +1 leader ideas blank, and is way more micromanagement-heavy. As for benefits ... I don't see any? If you want better generals you can already spend military points to re-roll your current ones.

Yeah, the way leaders work seems to me like a real "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. Plus, it's kinda fun to see what you're gonna get when you roll a general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zurai posted:

I don't.

You'll obviously need to rework ideas and tradition for it to work, but

quote:

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Yeah, I think you are both actually right.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I think it would make more sense to handle generals like ministers. Have a set of military officers which you could promote to general (with ideas/buildings increasing the number of possibilities) and have their stats determined by ideas, as well as growth over time which would be determined by a combination of military tradition, spending military points (or ducats?) each month on training, and them personally leading armies in battles.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Why not have that base 0/0/0 general, but every time you pump military points in, a random attribute goes up?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm playing as Gelre, trying to Form the Dutch Nation, and is the emperor having an Unlawful Territory CB against me something I should be concerned about?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm playing as Gelre, trying to Form the Dutch Nation, and is the emperor having an Unlawful Territory CB against me something I should be concerned about?

Depends on his relation with you and how busy he is. If he's doing a big opening war with Burgundy or France or somebody for the first decade and then licking his wounds, you're fine. If it's Austria and Burgundy gets partitioned so he's basically right next door, you may have a problem.

I've done that start and I was a lot more worried about Burgundy warning me than Austria coming after me. That said, the penalties from Unlawful territory can be really annoying when you're small and it's basically half your territory.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Shroud posted:

Why not have that base 0/0/0 general, but every time you pump military points in, a random attribute goes up?

What I always wondered is how my general who has won over a dozen sieges still has 0 siege skill. They should maybe develop skills over time, maybe use a trait system for it similar to CK2 or the Total War games.
Same goes for rulers, they should change over time with events instead of you getting a 0/0/0 poo poo head and knowing you're hosed unless you can somehow get him killed in a war.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

What I always wondered is how my general who has won over a dozen sieges still has 0 siege skill. They should maybe develop skills over time, maybe use a trait system for it similar to CK2 or the Total War games.
Same goes for rulers, they should change over time with events instead of you getting a 0/0/0 poo poo head and knowing you're hosed unless you can somehow get him killed in a war.

NPC Characterization is a bit lacking indeed. General experience would be awesome.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

That's not too bad, although I suspect I'm not good enough to make it quite that fast. :)

This has probably been asked a million times, but which Daimyo(s) is the most fun and/or easy to play as? And, uh, if they are in the western, central or northern part of Japan because it will take me forever to find them otherwise.

I'm in the middle of a Hosokawa/Japan game; I conquered Japan (NOT unified) in about 9 years.

Basic rundown: Pray for a half-decent general.

Day 1 (12 nov):
- send diplomat to Yamana to fabricate claim.
- Send army to Harima. Don't change army funding, we'll need it soon.
- Send fleet to northern coast of Yamana. We're going to kill their fleet (and hopefully take a few ships).
- Start building 4 infantry regiments in Otomo and Harima.
- Pray that Yamana allies to Takeda, if it hasn't by the 12th of december, restart game. We need that gold.
Day 27-31
- depending on manoevre skill, start sending your army to the north into Yamana. It is to arrive on the 13th.
- Order army to move towards Takeda after that. We're taking that gold.
Day 32 (12 dec) and beyond:
- declare war on Yamana.
- Since your armies are fully funded, and Yamana's are not it will be crushed very easily (100-700 casualties depending on dice rolls and leader skill).
- Army moves toward Takeda to crush its army while it's still at low morale. Note: it's likely that takeda allied to Date and/or Uesugi. Either one you can easily beat. Both is more challenging but doable.
- After destroying the Takeda army, you need to analyse situation. If Uesugi is in the war, either attack its army while it's still at low morale, or rest your army until it's recovered its own morale. Depends on how painful the battles were. Reinforce army with the constructed troops.
- destroy Uesugi/date armies and retreat to neutral (noninvolved) Daimyos for reinforcements. Keep a siege going on Takeda. Your enemies will rebuild their armies until they are out of money (usually 2-3 rounds of units). Destroy them while they're small. Once you no longer see troops being built, start sieging yamana.
- Annex Takeda.
( - Take Uesugi's treasury if you have the warscore. Don't waste the manpower on sieges, but blockades might be enough after the war has gone on for a while.)
- Take 2 out of 3 Yamana provinces.
- Core new province.

- Claim Ouchi's province. Goal is to take the province, but more importantly destroy Ouchi's and its allies' armies and treasuries.
- Small trick I found (AI exploit). If you have a claim on Ai, it will match your military funding (unless at war, planning its own war, or threatened by another country) 1 day later than yours. Exploit: set your funding to 100% until army is recovered and at 100% morale. At beginning of next month, set army funding to 0%. Last day of the month, you set the funding back at 100%. Next day, your army will be at 100% morale, your enemy's will be at 0%. Now attack and destroy the enemy.

- Once you have defeated Ouchi, set your military funding to 0. You need a treasury.
- Prepare to take on the Shogun.
- When you notice that all Daimyos are at peace, build up your forces with mercenaries. Set funding to 100%. You want 10-14 infantry and 2 cavalry. You will go into debt for this. Don't fret.
- When your forces are ready, wait for the first day of the next month, have your army be ready to arrive in Kyoto on the 2nd day of the month.
- 1st day of the next month: declare war for the Shogunate. The Shogun will not have its forces funded and will be crushed. March your army across japan to kill any potential doomstacks.
- Siege and annex the Shogun, delete the mercenaries when you feel that the enemy can't build up a threatening force any more.

I've used this approach 3 times now. Depending on your luck with sieges and what the other Daimyo ally/declare war on you can win the Shogunate in about 6-12 years. Additional note: if you manage your naval battles a bit, you can complete both "the bushido code" and (probably an option) "improve our prestige" missions in the first war. If you pace yourself, you can push your stability to 1 using admin points, and then the prestige mission to push it to 2.

Anyway, now go after Korea, then Manchu, then the world!

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 10, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You make it sound so easy. :psyduck:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

You make it sound so easy. :psyduck:

It helps that Hokosawa is clearly the most powerful and best positioned of the Daimyos: wealthy provinces, close proximity to (relatively) wealthy provinces, a core on Yamana.

I also want to warn you: the Shogun gets a Casus Belli on any Daimyo that has 10 cities or more. So if you want to build up a better powerbase keep your number of provinces at 9 or lower, that way the Shogun can't attack you.

Also, while in your first war with Yamana, keep a close eye on Ouchi. If the Ai thinks you're weakened it will attack you to take its core back. The best indicator for this is if you see their troops on your border, and their morale meter is partially red. That means that they set their military spending to max and the morale meter hasn't fully filled yet. Basically they're preparing for war, and you are the most likely target, especially if you suffered serious casualties like a battle against a combined Date/Uesugi/Takeda stack (that was a bad day. A very bad day).

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Kersch posted:

Speaking of things reducing monarch points being unfun: I don't like how the soft cap for leaders works. That is, when you have 4/2 possible generals/admirals/explorers/conquistadors and so you get -2 military MPs or whatever per month.

If I'm going to spend MP on leaders, I think it'd be much more fun if every single army and fleet just had a button on it to automatically assign a new 0/0/0 general or admiral to it, and then you could spend military MPs on leaders to increase their abilities or turn them into explorers or something.

Military points seem to be the most abundant, anyway.

This is a really good idea. I'm really impressed with the quality of your work lately, Kersch.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Shroud posted:

I don't know. This sort of thing already makes republics really unfun. It'd depend on how MIL balance works out in the long-term. Republican tradition is already so slow to accumulate that you get to boost stats of one leader every half century or so -- and this is a currency that isn't used for anything else. And I think they now prevent government bonuses from accruing republican tradition at all. I used to mod the game so that it took way longer for RT drain to really become a problem, but the command doesn't work anymore.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Isn't the biggest problem of Republics that their tradition gain/loss is not linked to term length at all?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

double nine posted:

It helps that Hokosawa is clearly the most powerful and best positioned of the Daimyos: wealthy provinces, close proximity to (relatively) wealthy provinces, a core on Yamana.

I also want to warn you: the Shogun gets a Casus Belli on any Daimyo that has 10 cities or more. So if you want to build up a better powerbase keep your number of provinces at 9 or lower, that way the Shogun can't attack you.

Also, while in your first war with Yamana, keep a close eye on Ouchi. If the Ai thinks you're weakened it will attack you to take its core back. The best indicator for this is if you see their troops on your border, and their morale meter is partially red. That means that they set their military spending to max and the morale meter hasn't fully filled yet. Basically they're preparing for war, and you are the most likely target, especially if you suffered serious casualties like a battle against a combined Date/Uesugi/Takeda stack (that was a bad day. A very bad day).

I'd still argue that Uesugi is probably an easier start due to their position besides Takeda. I also believe that your starting Daimyo is a decent general if you're not so lucky with generals.

My attempts with Hosokawa previously ended up getting taken out by whoever had gotten big in the east.

Basically the gold province that the Takeda owns is crucial IMO.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Tahirovic posted:

Isn't the biggest problem of Republics that their tradition gain/loss is not linked to term length at all?
Yeah. Not only that, but there aren't any non-President for Life republics that have term lengths longer than 8 years. Most of them are 4 year terms, which gets you into trouble really quickly. My mod adjusted it so that, starting with max RT, you could safely re-elect the same dude for 15-20 years before your RT dipped to troubling levels, and that depended on the term length of each government. The way RT works in this game, your republic is at greater risk from a three-term President than some dude who will spend his entire life in office.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, sorry if this is a common question, but in my CotNW game as the Zapotec, am I really unable to get native ideas (that the North American natives get, like in my MP Pawnee game)? Since yeah, if that's the case, I'm basically stuck being unable to colonise any of my surrounding provinces until I eventually trudge my way up to admin tech 4, aren't I? :( So is there a way around this, so I can actually expand somewhat, or should I just start a new game as a different native American civ?

Thanks

EDIT: vv drat! Oh well, thanks anyway - I guess I'll just avoid playing as the Central Americans for now.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 11, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, sorry if this is a common question, but in my CotNW game as the Zapotec, am I really unable to get native ideas (that the North American natives get, like in my MP Pawnee game)? Since yeah, if that's the case, I'm basically stuck being unable to colonise any of my surrounding provinces until I eventually trudge my way up to admin tech 4, aren't I? :( So is there a way around this, so I can actually expand somewhat, or should I just start a new game as a different native American civ?

Thanks

When they said native americans, they means native north americans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The big thing I don't like about republican tradition is that everything below 100 is a penalty, as opposed to legitimacy where 50 is the break even point.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Starting my first EU4 game today since 2 weeks after release, hope they've tuned down AE gain since it drove me nuts. Time to go easymode again as Austria and gently caress my way to victory.

Also, is the new DLC (Conquest of Paradise) worth buying? I like the concept of a completely randomised America, but I've read that most of the times terrible ugly creations spawn.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What kind of technology group do Aztecs get if you import from crusader kings with sunset invasion? Dev blog said they'll be more advanced than Europeans, is that true?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
They'll be "High American" which puts them on the same level as Europeans. They do, however, still have American units rather than Western units.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dutchfool posted:

Starting my first EU4 game today since 2 weeks after release, hope they've tuned down AE gain since it drove me nuts.

AE is almost irrelevant now, in my experience.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dutchfool posted:

Starting my first EU4 game today since 2 weeks after release, hope they've tuned down AE gain since it drove me nuts. Time to go easymode again as Austria and gently caress my way to victory.

Also, is the new DLC (Conquest of Paradise) worth buying? I like the concept of a completely randomised America, but I've read that most of the times terrible ugly creations spawn.

It's okay but you get all of the features from the patch other than random new world, playing as a colonial nation, and playing as a native North American. If you are uninterested in all of those you can skip it until a sale.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, what's up with colonies and colonists? I'm taking a dive on my finances in order to lock down the Americas by starting an additional colony or two above my colonist limit, but when I load the savegame, the colonies without a colonist managing them vanish?

EDIT: Nevermind, it only happens when you savescum. Don't be a filthy savescummer like me :devil:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 10, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nightblade posted:

AE is almost irrelevant now, in my experience.
Yeah it went from "You dare take a province from the opposite side of our sworn enemies! It's time to tell the world of your sins, GLOBAL COALITION!!!!!" to "'Sup, you annexed all of our neighbors lands? That's cool."

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
God I am glad they fixed AE. Good to see abusing marriage isn't the only way to gain land anymore. :) Thanks for telling me about CoP btw, I'll indeed just wait for a sale as I mostly play european nations that aren't doing colonial business.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Has anyone seen a colonial nation break away from an AI parent country in any of their games? The only time I've ever seen a colonial nation become independent was when I force-vassalised the parent. I just finished an iron man game where I had no colonies at all but I kept my eye on what the AI was doing and at the end there were precisely zero independent western nations in the new world. Portugal was at war with Spain for the majority of the Eighteenth century, during which time all of the Portuguese colonies in North and South America were occupied for decades at a time and Portugal went bankrupt, but 'freedom desire' never crept above 50%. Same for Newfoundland even though it was HUGE.

I really don't like a lot of the current colonial nation mechanics. The way colonial regions work is dumb with adjacent colonies not necessarily being part of the same colonial nation, and in general colonial nations seem low-risk low-reward i.e. boring. Freedom desire should ramp up way faster if the parent nation is in the shitter with regards to prestige/stability/legitimacy/money or doesn't actually defend the colonial nation in a war. To off-set that colonial nations should provide WAY more income in the short term, I think 100% of trade power and 75% or more of trade/tax income might not be unreasonable. Direct control of their armies during war even if you don't control recruitment might make them more useful too (it would certainly make conquering natives a lot easier) but I don't know how easy that is to do in this engine.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

A Tartan Tory posted:

When they said native americans, they means native north americans.
Well, Not-Central American North America.

Fister Roboto posted:

The big thing I don't like about republican tradition is that everything below 100 is a penalty, as opposed to legitimacy where 50 is the break even point.
It even starts at 50! You'll start to run into some bullshit when you're at 75 even, and that's one or two re-elections when your leader still sucks. I wonder if starting stats are defined in an event? Maybe a good counter would just be to make starting republican stats less awful? I mean, the point of a republic is to, at least nominally, choose the best among your limited pool of candidates. This is what EU3 did, and it did produce consistently better leaders than whoever was born first that didn't have a knife between the ribs.

Dutchfool posted:

The coastline algorithm seems pretty busted. I imagine it's pretty low on the list of things to address, though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Enjoy the reduced AE while you can because it is going back up next patch.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Traxis posted:

Enjoy the reduced AE while you can because it is going back up next patch.

Time to do that Ottoman world conquest then.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So to remove uniting the crowns and the Burgundian succesion events do I just need to delete them in the flavor events or is there some mod that just removes them? Since I find it very annoying that both France and Castille just loving eats countries that could at least act as roadblocks for them in 8/10 games within 40 years of the game start.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Any word on when the next (official) patch is going to land?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lord Tywin posted:

So to remove uniting the crowns and the Burgundian succesion events do I just need to delete them in the flavor events or is there some mod that just removes them? Since I find it very annoying that both France and Castille just loving eats countries that could at least act as roadblocks for them in 8/10 games within 40 years of the game start.

The single best roadblock to France is the Burgundian Inheritance, because it gives all the good parts of Burgundy to Austria.

Having played a bunch of games where the Burgundians lived on, I assure you that France will plow right through them without slowing down.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

The single best roadblock to France is the Burgundian Inheritance, because it gives all the good parts of Burgundy to Austria.

Having played a bunch of games where the Burgundians lived on, I assure you that France will plow right through them without slowing down.

Well in my Japan game Burgundy is still bigger than it started out after having lost the Netherlands.
This is also my last Japan game. I lost my three best rulers to Honoji and spent untold decades in Regency council as a result. You'd think they'd learn after the second time.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I have a question regarding releasing vassals:

I'm Muscovy and currently kicking the crap out of Lithuania. I have about 97% war score, just a few more provinces to occupy until I could force them to release Ukraine. I figure it would be in my best interest to have a close friend in the area.

My question is, rather than just forcing them to release Ukraine should I take as many Ukraine core provinces as possible and create them as a vassal myself? Could I then feed them provinces from Lithuania to make a super vassal? I'm playing Ironman and don't want to gently caress up, especially because I just finished westernization and i'm getting hit with troubled times events left and right. I wasn't too sure if the create a vassal option would work like I think it would or not.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

The best thing I saw in an MP game once was when Milan inherited territory after that event.

They didn't keep it for long of course but still.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Burgundy has somehow survived in my Poland-ironman game. I have no idea how it happened - most of the times that I've seen them go on, it's been because I've meddled in France's affairs - but it's fun to watch. Theyare quite the same in size and army strength, so every twenty years or so they go at it and take a province of each other.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

dat one portagee posted:

I have a question regarding releasing vassals:

I'm Muscovy and currently kicking the crap out of Lithuania. I have about 97% war score, just a few more provinces to occupy until I could force them to release Ukraine. I figure it would be in my best interest to have a close friend in the area.

My question is, rather than just forcing them to release Ukraine should I take as many Ukraine core provinces as possible and create them as a vassal myself? Could I then feed them provinces from Lithuania to make a super vassal? I'm playing Ironman and don't want to gently caress up, especially because I just finished westernization and i'm getting hit with troubled times events left and right. I wasn't too sure if the create a vassal option would work like I think it would or not.

Vassals are now more hesitant to take wrong culture, wrong religion provinces, but I think Ukraine would probably accept Lithuania's provinces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Vassals are now more hesitant to take wrong culture, wrong religion provinces, but I think Ukraine would probably accept Lithuania's provinces?

Ukraine has a huge number of cores that start in Lithuanian territory.

edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. I wouldn't bet on them taking non-Ruthenian, non-Orthodox provinces, but Ukraine is a vassal you can make quite strong simply by returning its cores.

Dickensian Aspect fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2014

• Locked thread