Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IBentMyWookie posted:

That's simple they aren't friends.

Really? Who's holding a grudge, there? They're kids, for heaven's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, BTW, I'm referring to Pete having zero lines after he's saved by Clark. Why? Are we supposed to think his creepy, beatific smile and eternal loyalty to Clark is some kind of desirable thing? I'm being 100% serious about that - why does he have no lines at all? Pete Ross is supposed to be one of his best friends from Smallville, does he just not rate?

We're shown Clark interacting with Lana and its clear there's some attraction. We then see Pete do something friendly for Clark. This is all we're given but it should be enough, just like Clark begging Zod to stop and then falling to his knees with tears in his eyes should be enough to show that he didn't have a great fun time with the whole thing.

We don't know what the depth of friendship Pete had with Clark, but he clearly had good things to say about him when Lois found him years later as seen by the fact that she had the compassion to drop such a huge story.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Really? Who's holding a grudge, there? They're kids, for heaven's sake.

They are just written to not be friends. Clark has no childhood friends in this reboot. We can only assume that Jimmy and Lois will be his first friends.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thirty year old man with no friends and unlimited power. Just trust him, guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thirty year old man with no friends and unlimited power. Just trust him, guys.

Yeah it's not like he clearly says that Lois is his friend when his mother asks about her.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

We don't know what the depth of friendship Pete had with Clark, but he clearly had good things to say about him when Lois found him years later as seen by the fact that she had the compassion to drop such a huge story.

Well him saving her life had something to do with it. That and he threatened to disappear again anyway so really not much she could accomplish with the story other than second hand accounts.

Pete did not show friendship maybe gratitude but really there is no friendship expressed. If helping to pick someone up after they get knocked down is a symbol of friendship that is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's not like he clearly says that Lois is his friend when his mother asks about her.

His first friend! He's coming up in the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

His first friend! He's coming up in the world.

Everyone Lois talked to about him during her investigation seemed to have nothing but good to say about him as well and could easily be counted as his friends.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Martha is his friend. That's all the friends he'll ever need.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

ChikoDemono posted:

Martha is his friend. That's all the friends he'll ever need.

I bet she was his prom date too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No Krypto The Super Dog is what sunk this film, clearly.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

If we ignore that prequel tie-in thing, we can hope that Krypto was the one in the open pod and not Kara

They should have just done a live action Krypto movie. Everyone loved the cartoon, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Everyone Lois talked to about him during her investigation seemed to have nothing but good to say about him as well and could easily be counted as his friends.

Instead of showing us testimonials, they could've just shown Pete and Lara being his friends! They showed us an ad of people telling us how great Superman is. How is that "tone appropriate" or whatever?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Explain how that's a misread? Like I understand what I am meant to take from that scene, but in order to get the joke in the first place you have to see that it's a veiled threat. The joke is that he's a guy who could crush coal into diamonds with his bare hands, that he is a god and Lois is mortal. Ha ha, very funny.

What the hell are you talking about? The line is "I think that only counts when kissing a human."

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Rhyno posted:

MOS 2: A search for friends

I think you just nailed what may be Clark's motivation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toady posted:

What the hell are you talking about? The line is "I think that only counts when kissing a human."

What's not to understand? The joke is that he is superior to a human. There are no diminishing returns because he is more than human.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

What's not to understand? The joke is that he is superior to a human. There are no diminishing returns because he is more than human.

For her, yeah! For him, on the other hand, he's going to be more and more unhappy with their relationship with each passing day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JediTalentAgent posted:

For her, yeah! For him, on the other hand, he's going to be more and more unhappy with their relationship with each passing day.

He could just think of Faora.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure when they have fights, Lois will shout at him, "Well, if I'm not good enough for you, why don't you go over and gently caress Faora. Oh, that's right..."

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He could always find a way to become human like in Superman II.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It looked like you were arguing about the line being "I have to be careful when kissing humans", talking about how the joke is that he's strong enough to crush coal into diamonds and harm Lois and whatnot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChikoDemono posted:

He could always find a way to become human like in Superman II.

And no trucker will mess with him for fear of their truck! Plus Zod is already taken care of. This plan cannot fail.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

IBentMyWookie posted:

Wait so you're assuming this was all premeditated and instead of Pete telling Clark beforehand, or somebody, he just goes to help pick up the pieces? It's a whole lot simpler to see the situation for what it was. Random bullying moment Pete was hanging with them and didn't want to be part of the sudden let's pick on Clark and then later helped him up because he felt bad.

Well, it's as simple as looking at what's on screen, which shows that he wasn't with the other kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toady posted:

It looked like you were arguing about the line being "I have to be careful when kissing humans", talking about how the joke is that he's strong enough to crush coal into diamonds and harm Lois and whatnot.

His joke is that he is superior to human beings.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Toady posted:

Well, it's as simple as looking at what's on screen, which shows that he wasn't with the other kids.

No it isn't there is no rational explanation of why he's there if he isn't with the other kids. It's outside a garage. Why is Pete there if he wasn't with the other kids?

If he's there only for Clark who is sitting in a car reading a book then he's the biggest jackass cause he doesn't say a drat thing the entire scene.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 1, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

His joke is that he is superior to human beings.

Yes, I know.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

IBentMyWookie posted:

No it isn't there is no rational explanation of why he's there if he isn't with the other kids. It's outside a garage. Why is Pete there if he wasn't with the other kids?

It's because Pete Ross is the Dexter of Smallville and they were getting close to his dumping site.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

IBentMyWookie posted:

Asked and answered.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Some of the readings of the film in this thread are hilarious. Really enjoying the Pete Ross interpretations. Keep 'em coming. :munch:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IBentMyWookie posted:

Why would you think Pete is hanging out with those other kids? They were clearly jocks wearing jock jackets. Pete is obviously a nerd. In case you didn't know, nerds do not hang out with jocks at high school. There's no need for an explanation of why he's hanging around behind them, it's a small town, he sees a commotion, and goes over to see what's going on.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

They were probably on their way home from school. Small town and all.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
It's weird that a 30 plus year old is still in his "formative" years.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh, BTW, I'm referring to Pete having zero lines after he's saved by Clark. Why? Are we supposed to think his creepy, beatific smile and eternal loyalty to Clark is some kind of desirable thing? I'm being 100% serious about that - why does he have no lines at all? Pete Ross is supposed to be one of his best friends from Smallville, does he just not rate?

Films frequently employ a technique wherewith actors indicate emotions without stating them outright, by depicting their respective characters' actions and demeanor in a corresponding fashion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bongo Bill posted:

Films frequently employ a technique wherewith actors indicate emotions without stating them outright, by depicting their respective characters' actions and demeanor in a corresponding fashion.

Exactly! That it's on purpose makes it creepy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

^^^Haha, ok.

Grem posted:

It's weird that a 30 plus year old is still in his "formative" years.

It's kind of different when you realize you're an alien that was sent to Earth, without knowing why. The superpowers also complicate things a bit.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

Why would you think Pete is hanging out with those other kids? They were clearly jocks wearing jock jackets. Pete is obviously a nerd. In case you didn't know, nerds do not hang out with jocks at high school. There's no need for an explanation of why he's hanging around behind them, it's a small town, he sees a commotion, and goes over to see what's going on.

Why is Pete a nerd? It is so loving weird that people cling to Pete being there by himself while all these other kids are there but not be part of the group of kids. It's like people are writing fanfics of Pete and Clark with nothing in the film to go on. Y'know just cuz.

"No officer Pete Ross wasn't with us he was just trailing along behind us. That isn't with us, that's like not with us."

Toady posted:

Asked and answered.

Yeah, fan wank bullshit.

IBentMyWookie fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 1, 2013

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Since it's relevant to the film, Jesus Christ hasn't really done jack until his 30s.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He's 33, right? So pretty much Jesus' age - Bryan Singer strikes again!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

IBentMyWookie posted:

Why is Pete a nerd? It is so loving weird that people cling to Pete being there by himself while all these other kids are there but not be part of the group of kids. It's like people are writing fanfics of Pete and Clark with nothing in the film to go on. Y'know just cuz.

Because it's what the movie shows on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IBentMyWookie posted:

He's a nerd because he looks like one, since his character is not really developed it's mainly appearance cues. Again he was probably just wandering around town by himself or walking home when he saw a bunch of kids crowding around. It's a small town, why is that hard to understand?

• Locked thread