Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

turnways posted:

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. Since these are making the rounds I'll go ahead and post them, should give you some more info on Commando and Sharpshooter:

I think it's funny some of my changes snuck in between captures.

That shotgun pentration is nuts. I hope that shotgun penetration isn't that bad starting out and that leveling up yourself to the max means that a shotgun is the best way to thin out a crowd instead of making shotguns weak PoSes that you have to level up a bit in order to penetrate through small groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

closeted republican posted:

The shotguns are satisfying as gently caress to use; it's just that you don't get a lot of chances to use them because Commandos and Firebugs kill trash too fast for you to line up and land a good shot, while killing enemies like the Scrake and FP is a lot easier for Sharps and Demos.

Shotguns are a jack-of-all trades weapon class, but with every pub being filled with Sharps, Commandos, and Firebugs, you really don't get a lot of chances to shine with shotguns.

It's been ages since I played and I tended to bop around on mostly normal with some hard, but my support experience was "Nobody wants to shoot gorefasts for some reason" which left me fun but not wasteful targets to shoot. Though there was also a lot of "Will somebody who has a scope on something please shoot that Husk in the face he's been shooting at us for ages."

I'm super horrible at scopes, ironsights, and deliberate headshoots unless for some reason it's with a shotgun in most games. maybe it's a precision thing, maybe it's a mindset thing, but my ability to aim dead on seems inversely proportional to how important it is to do so with a weapon/class.

One thing odd quirk of my not quite getting the hang of being "Good" at KF I'm looking forward to in the sequel is that since they have mentioned not screwing with enemy HEALTH depending on the difficulty, I may finally stop loving up on either shooting Scrakes too just one shot too many. I also hope I can still carry Pump+double barrel because as amazing as the AA12 was that was just more satisfying.

That shotgun pentration is nuts. I hope that shotgun penetration isn't that bad starting out and that leveling up yourself to the max means that a shotgun is the best way to thin out a crowd instead of making shotguns weak PoSes that you have to level up a bit in order to penetrate through small groups.

As long as I can have an average of 3 Clots per pump action shot ratio before side stat increases, I will be happy with penetration. Those support picks actually seem like some good choices in "but I want booooth". The only questionable one to me is "Chance to stagger" vs "reload speed" since, well, always there constantly used bonus vs praying to the RNG.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Will the clips look different if you pick extended magazines? It always bother me when games don't do this, heck even it its a diffrent color I'll be happy.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

One thing odd quirk of my not quite getting the hang of being "Good" at KF I'm looking forward to in the sequel is that since they have mentioned not screwing with enemy HEALTH depending on the difficulty, I may finally stop loving up on either shooting Scrakes too just one shot too many. I also hope I can still carry Pump+double barrel because as amazing as the AA12 was that was just more satisfying.

The problem is that you weren't one-shotting the scrakes with the double barrel

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Section Z posted:

As long as I can have an average of 3 Clots per pump action shot ratio before side stat increases, I will be happy with penetration.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. I want shotties to be decent for multikills out of the box instead of having to pump several levels into Support.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Ruggington posted:

The problem is that you weren't one-shotting the scrakes with the double barrel

If you also carried around the fire axe, you could do this even on Suicidal and Hell on Earth.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

If you also carried around the fire axe, you could do this even on Suicidal and Hell on Earth.

Katana also works. I neer really tried that trick beause of how small the window is to hit a Scake's head before you can't make enough pellets connect to kill the Scrake. It's way easier for me to go Sharp, headshoy Scrakes with the Crossbow, and help Commandos by shooting other enemies with a pistol.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Yessss someone else knows that song. Make it a goon server mod.

I haven't heard about anyone being upset by the female character's design yet.

it'll really tickle my inner punk if she has a Brit accent and occasionally quotes the Sex Pistols and Clash

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm surprised the Sharpshooter isn't included in the first wave of perks, I hope that implies they're doing something a bit more interesting with it.

Also I was hoping that every perk would get its own unique way to extend Zed Time, but giving everyone a unique perk during Zed Time is probably even better.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Hells yeah. Hopefully I can make another metal mod for this one. I might even put effort into it this time. Raining Blood however was always my favorite Patriarch music.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Geight posted:

I'm surprised the Sharpshooter isn't included in the first wave of perks, I hope that implies they're doing something a bit more interesting with it.

Also I was hoping that every perk would get its own unique way to extend Zed Time, but giving everyone a unique perk during Zed Time is probably even better.

Since Sharp no longer gets bonuses with pistols, I get the feeling that they want to make Sharp more of a specialized perk, such as using long-raged weapons on certain targets instead of being a Scrake (and FP in Normal and Hard) butcherer that is also a great mini-Commando that has the bonus of cutting down Husks and Sirens faster than a Commando can.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'm not too excited for the cloak vision thing, considering how easy it is to see Stalkers on any perk.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

alphabrawl posted:

I'm not too excited for the cloak vision thing, considering how easy it is to see Stalkers on any perk.

They might be making it less easy to spot Stalkers without the commando vision in the new one, to be fair. I haven't seen enough gameplay to really tell yet.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Geight posted:

They might be making it less easy to spot Stalkers without the commando vision in the new one, to be fair. I haven't seen enough gameplay to really tell yet.

There's actually a Stalker in every single screenshot :ssh:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Geight posted:

That's what I'm thinking. Plus, with the darker environments in the game, it'll be harder to see cloaked Stalkers romaing around than in KF1.

I think the whole gimmick of the Stalker this time around is that she'll be just plain difficult to see period, as her cloaking making it hard to see her at a distance, while her dark grey skin will make it a little bit difficult to spot her when she uncloakes in dark areas, which the game seems to have a lot of. KF1 Stalkers are easy to see becuse they're pale and topless punk girls and their cloak is easy to figure out after a bit of playtime.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 12, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

turnways posted:

There's actually a Stalker in every single screenshot :ssh:

:aaaaa:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see the zerker skills.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I want to see the zerker skills.

What about the Medic skils??? :argh:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

What about the Medic skils??? :argh:

with enough zerkers we won't need medics, friend

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Since Sharp no longer gets bonuses with pistols, I get the feeling that they want to make Sharp more of a specialized perk, such as using long-raged weapons on certain targets instead of being a Scrake (and FP in Normal and Hard) butcherer that is also a great mini-Commando that has the bonus of cutting down Husks and Sirens faster than a Commando can.

I think that simply removing pistols already goes a long way in distinguishing Sharpshooter. The long arms in the Sharpshooter class never felt satisfying to me in KF1 because they'd constantly get hit with nerfs like the crossbow damage reduction or the M99 ammo price increase. This is of course, to balance out the fact that they'd two-shot or one-shot Scrakes and FPs, but it also meant that you were doing a lot of pistoling much of the time and saving your other weapons for big zeds and the occasional pesky husk. Even if you were going with the dedicated long arm loadout of LAR + M14, you would still need to rely on the M9 because there was simply not enough ammo in between having to keep Scrakes stunlocked with the LAR and busting FPs and trash with the M14.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

I think that simply removing pistols already goes a long way in distinguishing Sharpshooter. The long arms in the Sharpshooter class never felt satisfying to me in KF1 because they'd constantly get hit with nerfs like the crossbow damage reduction or the M99 ammo price increase. This is of course, to balance out the fact that they'd two-shot or one-shot Scrakes and FPs, but it also meant that you were doing a lot of pistoling much of the time and saving your other weapons for big zeds and the occasional pesky husk. Even if you were going with the dedicated long arm loadout of LAR + M14, you would still need to rely on the M9 because there was simply not enough ammo in between having to keep Scrakes stunlocked with the LAR and busting FPs and trash with the M14.

My issue was that you weren't given nearly enough ammo to clear out a wave with any rifle-style weapons in KF1. I'm hoping that TWI adds a rifle with a decent price and largeish ammo pool so that Sharps can use it to kill some trash and make some cash instead of using precious ammo for weapons to be used against strong enemies. I don't want something that can take a Commando's place; I just want a weapon that won't make me feel llike I'm wasting money when I'm shooting something that isn't a Scrake or Fleshpound with it.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 12, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Near the end they sort of dipped their toes in giving us a scoped rifle you could use on trash zeds with the steampunk rifle, but it essentially fulfilled the same role as the LAR but with a lovely reticle and the same limited ammo capacity (and thus not really a good primary weapon choice).

What I really want to see is what they do with the pistol dedicated class. You never really got to cut loose with akimbo pistols in KF1 because they were a bit of a newbie trap. The DPS you'd get with two pistols wouldn't really hold a candle to the actual DPS classes, plus you'd lose out on your iron sights, which would be far more effective for aiming for the headshot damage multiplier. Meanwhile, you wouldn't actually get any extra ammo capacity with akimbo pistols, they took up enough weight blocks to prevent selecting the more viable Sharpshooter loadouts, and they'd drastically increase the reload time on what would sometimes be your only fast-response weapon. It's a lot of negatives to overcome.

But really, Tripwire just needs to give the pistol perk a cool reload animation for me to select them every time :ocelot:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think that Gunslinger would be interesting as a Commando variant that trades large magazines for better accuracy and more powerful weapons. Have a single pistol, like a Desert Eagle, for landing headshots on strong enemies like Husks and sirens, then use the dual pistols for quickly thinning out hordes. Make it a little bit more risk-reward for Commando players that want more power and more excitement.

And OFC, good reload animations are necessary. The dual pistol reload animation shown in the mo-cap session of the latest video looked pretty neat.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 12, 2015

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

I think that Gunslinger would be interesting as a Commando variant that trades large magazines for better accuracy and more powerful weapons. Have a single pistol, like a Desert Eagle, for landing headshots on strong enemies like Husks and sirens, then use the dual pistols for quickly thinning out hordes. Make it a little bit more risk-reward for Commando players that want more power and more excitement.

And OFC, good reload animations are necessary. The dual pistol reload animation shown in the mo-cap session of the latest video looked pretty neat.

I was thinking that it would make a good shorter range sharpshooter variant. Leave the high powered rifles for the Sharpshooter and then specialize pistols for the close range head popping. Maybe add some machine pistols to help with dps.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I just want to know what the dragon head perk is!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Probably hand-to-hand combat or something silly to compete with Berzerker, seeing as every other perk has a similar counterpart it looks like.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I want this game to be great since I loved the first one, but Tripwire broke my heart with RO2. Dare I try to love again? :ohdear:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

alphabrawl posted:

It's literally a dragon.

It's a mix between Berserker (claw and bite attack) and KF1 Firebug (fire breathing attack) that can't buy weapons, can only buy oil to refill its breath attack, and has a life meter tied directly to its dosh amount.

When selected your model changes to a huge winged lizard, with a character-specific look (mohawk for the punk lady, for instance). You can't go through doors, but you can fly.

Its skills revolve around changing what element the breath attack is (fire, frost, acid), heat vision instead of nightvision, the ability to give other players rides, and a AoE consume or stomp attack during ZED time.

We've found gameplay shifts in indoor maps to "pull all Zeds to the Dragon" which we feel makes for some rather dynamic gameplay. With six Dragons things got a little competitive when they were all stuck in the opening room, so we've allowed PvP between Dragons.

Oh yeah and we got the rights to play the theme to Neverending Story whenever someone's riding you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Some more new stuff from the Tripwire forums:

quote:

-Yes each character has their own 1st person models and there own voices and personalities. Our battle-chatter system is developed off RO2 so characters will talk to each-other and even comment on things, it's super cool! So for example say I blow up a horde of zeds another player that see's it could comment on what you just did.

-we have weapon check animations, if your weapon is full and you reload you'll play them. each weapon has more then one just for fun

- each perk has their own backup knife and grenade.

- on Steam Early Access release we're starting with 4 perks, then soon after adding in the other perks. Our release wont be full of bugs but will have a subset of content and highly polished. We're doing this so that we can tune it to perfection and get the game in your hands sooner!! KF2 is a very ambitious game so we didn't want the first release to have everything in it with bugs and unpolished content.

-The AR15 (9mm) is commando's starting weapon and the Bullpup is his tier 2 weapon

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1358115&postcount=26

Characters interacting with each other sounds cool as hell. I hop oyu can have mock-conversations with the commands like in KF1.

Based on the last tidbit, I think the Commando weapon tiers are going to be:

Tier 1: 9mm AR-15
Tier 2: Bullpup
Tier 3: AK-12
Tier 4: SCAR-H

Revolver Bunker posted:

I was thinking that it would make a good shorter range sharpshooter variant. Leave the high powered rifles for the Sharpshooter and then specialize pistols for the close range head popping. Maybe add some machine pistols to help with dps.

That sounds like a good idea as well. All I want is a good pistol class.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

alphabrawl posted:

Margret Thatcher.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Songbearer posted:

Margret Thatcher.

Would buy this DLC The Iron Lady and Iron Reagan fighting zeds and pocketing dosh. Oliver North could be the shady shop keeper.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Inside Out Mom posted:

Would buy this DLC The Iron Lady and Iron Reagan fighting zeds and pocketing dosh. Oliver North could be the shady shop keeper.

I want an angry college communist skin as well for the hilarity of watching Thatcher and Reagan fight zeds alongside their most hated ideological enemy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But will the D.A.R robot skin be coming back? :ohdear: It's the only one I use because robots amuse me.

VVV I suddenly have much higher hopes.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2015

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Theta Zero posted:

Probably hand-to-hand combat or something silly to compete with Berzerker, seeing as every other perk has a similar counterpart it looks like.

I really hope it is a hand to hand perk because you know it's top tier weapon is going to be the Flesh Pound's arm masher things. :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Going into Zed Time allows you to charge your Kamehameha wave which automatically goes off once Zed Time ends. Work with your team mates to help extend Zed Time in order to reach your maximum energy level and unleash a more powerful blast

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saw the Wolf shirt one of the devs was wearing.

Cross-promotional stuff with Payday 2 anyone? :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rorus Raz posted:

Saw the Wolf shirt one of the devs was wearing.

Cross-promotional stuff with Payday 2 anyone? :getin:

You know what, I could totally see it considering that Payday 2 has done cross promotional stuff with loving everyone, even Keanu Reeves.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But will the D.A.R robot skin be coming back? :ohdear: It's the only one I use because robots amuse me.

VVV I suddenly have much higher hopes.

Robots are cool but DAR looks lame so I never used him. If you're going to add a robot to the game, make him look like a drat killbot, not some piece of junk toy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want an angry college communist skin as well for the hilarity of watching Thatcher and Reagan fight zeds alongside their most hated ideological enemy.
I want Tripwire to make a mod ala The Ship and create Reagan, Thatcher , Gorvachov, Fidel, Saddam and Bush, all with terrible voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

turnways posted:

It's literally a dragon.

It's a mix between Berserker (claw and bite attack) and KF1 Firebug (fire breathing attack) that can't buy weapons, can only buy oil to refill its breath attack, and has a life meter tied directly to its dosh amount.

When selected your model changes to a huge winged lizard, with a character-specific look (mohawk for the punk lady, for instance). You can't go through doors, but you can fly.

Its skills revolve around changing what element the breath attack is (fire, frost, acid), heat vision instead of nightvision, the ability to give other players rides, and a AoE consume or stomp attack during ZED time.

We've found gameplay shifts in indoor maps to "pull all Zeds to the Dragon" which we feel makes for some rather dynamic gameplay. With six Dragons things got a little competitive when they were all stuck in the opening room, so we've allowed PvP between Dragons.

Oh yeah and we got the rights to play the theme to Neverending Story whenever someone's riding you.

I know deep in my heart that is this a load of bull but my god I would love for it to be true. That sounds so goddamn amazing why would you tease us like that.

• Locked thread