Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
yeah we should just treat them like criminals instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Birb Katter posted:

C'mon son, you can do better than that. That's some weak rear end poo poo.

With respect I am very drunk and very angry about asylum seekers at the moment.

These are not connected but I am still very pissed off. To

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Ugh. Refugees. Always playing the victim.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

With respect I am very drunk and very angry about asylum seekers at the moment.

These are not connected but I am still very pissed off. To

What's got your scrunt in a taint today friend

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I always wondered why exactly Auspol's so bloodthirsty like this. It's pretty unlike every other thread on SA I follow, even the political ones.

Maybe it's just the fact Auspol evolved from a LF thread. Or possibly because Australian politics feels pretty glib and harsh anyway, so we gravitate pretty readily to 'kill yourself' territory.

This place is certainly far more of an echo chamber than, say, the UKPOL thread.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

freebooter posted:

This place is certainly far more of an echo chamber than, say, the UKPOL thread.

Maybe that's because Tony Abott is way more tea party evil piece of poo poo than David Cameron (and that's saying a lot). I mean, between the treatment of refugees, same sex marriage inequality, war mongering, police stating, political witch hunting and reaganesque economics, ours has to be one of the most reactionary hard right governments in the western world (let alone the "anglosphere", a vomit inducing definition all on its own).

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

Nations treating asylum seekers like its some kind of telethon is a depravity.

Birb Katter posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I like your posting. Sure you don't mesh with the Auspol zeitgeist and I don't agree with a lot of what you say but thats cool, you aren't just being a dumb troll.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

it's cool man haha like you got your thing and i got my thing, live and let live imho haha :)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

freebooter posted:

It lacks personality, much like our girt country.

This gives the illusion of hegemony.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't want to argue against whichever public official ASIO is most closely monitoring, I want to commit crimes against them. Haha

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

On her morning drive to work through the inner-west Sydney suburb of Stanmore on Wednesday morning, Sarah* was surprised when police stopped her for a random breath test.

But when the officer saw her UK driver's licence, his actions left her dumbfounded.

"He asked to see her visa – but we don't have a paper visa, its electronic," said her boyfriend, Mark*, who, together with Sarah, is in Australia on a skilled work visa.

"Regardless, this isn't 1940s Nazi Germany and if one did exist, we still wouldn't be carrying our visa papers around with us."

Sarah said the police officer was adamant: she could not leave until her visa status was confirmed. She called Mark at home. He contacted the immigration department and, after a long wait, obtained her visa details.

Sarah was finally allowed her to move on. She was distraught, and 90 minutes late for work.

"She felt like Big Brother's watching, like she wasn't really welcome," Mark said, adding Sarah did not wish to speak to the media.

"It makes you feel [like] you're a foreigner, therefore you're always guilty of being here illegally unless you can prove otherwise."

Last week's cancelled visa-check operation in Melbourne, after a press release suggested immigration officials would question "any individual we cross paths with" was not just a PR disaster for the new Australian Border Force.

It reminded Australians that they are actually quite attached to their civil liberties, including the right to wander the streets unimpeded by people in uniforms.

And many could not shake the feeling that a scenario in which average Joes were asked to produce their papers was not just one dreamed up by an errant press officer, but the logical conclusion of the current hard-boiled political climate surrounding border protection.

As the government scurried to dial down the public tumult last week, it pointed out that joint operations of the type planned for Melbourne were, in fact, quite common.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said Border Force officers taking part in Operation Fortitude, as it was dubbed, had in their sights only taxi drivers who did not have the right to work in Australia. Drivers would be referred to them by police.

But as outlandish as sweeping visa checks may seem in the free world, the British experience shows they are not inconceivable.

In 2013, officials conducted spot visa checks around London tube stations, forcing then British immigration minister Mark Harper to deny the crackdown involved, as critics claimed, "stopping every person with a black face".

Rather, the operation was driven by intelligence, and targeted people who "behaved in a very suspicious way", Harper reportedly said, adding the checks were not random.

An NSW Police spokesman confirmed Sarah was detained for a visa check. He said temporary foreign drivers are obliged to prove their visitor status if requested by police, to ensure they are lawfully entitled to drive in NSW.

For many years, Australian immigration officials have taken part in joint visa compliance operations in every state and territory.

One Sydney taxi driver who contacted Fairfax Media reported twice being in a group of about 20 drivers stopped by police in central Sydney and checked by officials from immigration, tax and social security agencies. He said each incident, which occurred in the past few years, took drivers off the road for up to an hour.

Similar taxi operations have long been conducted in other cities including Brisbane and Melbourne.

NSW Taxi Council chief executive Roy Wakelin-King said such checks were "relatively routine" and ensure only those authorised to live and work in Australia are driving cabs. Victoria Police said taxi industry compliance involving immigration officials was conducted "in a range of locations across the state".

In the year to June 2014, 3310 "unlawful non-citizens" were nabbed through field operations or referrals by police, figures from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection show.

So if the practice is so commonplace, then why did Operation Fortitude turn into an embarrassing political pratfall?

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said random visa checks by Border Force were never contemplated – in fact, legal experts say they would have been illegal.

Abbott conceded, after government officials first pointed the finger at the media, that the press release was "very badly worded".

But the confusion those words created fed into a growing unease about the menacingly named Border Force – and fuelled questions about precisely what the organisation does.

Dutton, on Thursday, announced that Border Force, which merges existing immigration and customs functions, had helped find 100 kilograms of cocaine hidden in a foreign luxury yacht that berthed at the Gold Coast.

It is unsurprising that border officials dealing with international drug syndicates or dangerous people smugglers might wear uniforms and carry guns.

But when the Border Force began in July it adopted a new paramilitary style that critics say is unseemly for officials checking tourist visas.

More than $6 million was spent kitting out officials with new uniforms, insignia, name badges, buttons and safety helmets.

The Border Force's current recruitment drive is seeking 150 new staff willing to "complete Use of Force training" and be willing to "use personal defence equipment, including a firearm".

The department says not all staff receive such training. Border Force insiders have questioned the description of their employer as "paramilitary", saying many officers don't wear the full uniform and conduct essentially the same tasks as they did before the merger.

The Law Council of Australia has questioned why immigration bureaucrats working in policy and regulation need beefed-up powers previously used only in border protection, such as the power to assume a false identity and gain access to a person's stored data.

In a submission in April to a Senate committee examining the laws, the council said the changes, particularly where they involved encroachments on rights and liberties, should be demonstrated to be "necessary, reasonable and proportionate".

But in many instances the new legislation "does not appear to meet these requirements".

The Human Rights Law Centre says people generally have the right to ask for an official's name and identification number, and the reason they are being stopped.

In Sarah's case, Mark says she was too intimidated to record the name of the police officer who detained her.

He wondered if the officer had been influenced by Operation Fortitude, and said the incident "makes me very angry".

"My emigrating and working here should be of mutual benefit – I'm bringing with me a professional skill that you lack in Australia … while I, in return, get to live in such a beautiful country. It seems [officials are] forgetting this," he said.

"Australia is feeling like it's becoming ever more closed to the outside world. The powers that be seem to have the attitude that this country is theirs and absolutely no one else is allowed to benefit from it."

* Not their real names

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Unimpressed posted:

Maybe that's because Tony Abott is way more tea party evil piece of poo poo than David Cameron (and that's saying a lot). I mean, between the treatment of refugees, same sex marriage inequality, war mongering, police stating, political witch hunting and reaganesque economics, ours has to be one of the most reactionary hard right governments in the western world (let alone the "anglosphere", a vomit inducing definition all on its own).

You watch way too much ABC

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/immigration/2015/09/05/inside-border-forces-power/14413752002322

quote:

Inside Border Force’s power

MARTIN MCKENZIE-MURRAY
Border Force is the contrivance of a knot of ambitious bureaucrats whose aim is to militarise Immigration.

AAP
Australian Border Force commissioner Roman Quaedvlieg (left), Immigration Minister Peter Dutton (centre) and PM Tony Abbott.

He’s known as “The Pez” in Canberra circles, and his rise has been inexorable. At least, that’s what they say; and origin stories are important in the capital. Mike Pezzullo, secretary of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, was a graduate employee in the Department of Defence in the early ’90s when his wife was tapped for an advisory position with then foreign affairs minister Gareth Evans. Wanting to start a family, she declined, but her husband got the gig. From there he became Kim Beazley’s deputy chief of staff. “The rest is history,” a source says. “He rose and rose and rose. And he always loved a uniform. Now he’s got one.”

Today, the Pez is head of one of the most controversial departments in the country. Its policies have been condemned by the United Nations, questioned by its own Moss report and now, with the recent release of a senate inquiry, its Nauru camps have been deemed unsuitable for children. All of this was foreseen. But most of those who gave warnings are gone. The department has undergone a massive flight of executives. If you work there, you don’t call Pezzullo Pez. Or Mike. Not anymore. “This used to be a first name organisation,” a source says. “The secretary would be called Andrew or Martin. Now it’s ‘Mr Secretary’ or ‘Secretary Pezzullo’, which is an Americanisation. All of the staff, right down to the lowest levels, have a fear of getting this wrong.”

For decades, before it got tangled with Hansonism and its proxies, Australia’s immigration policy was largely uncontroversial. It was also successful. Successful in that it bore up refugees – the children of immigrants were beginning to rank more highly on education attainment and income than their counterparts. Unlike much of Europe, which distributed visas as a claim to cheap labour, Australia accepted refugees as future Australians. We welcomed husbands, wives and children. Our immigration policy understood that integration wouldn’t work without the individual’s family.

Mandatory detention began under Keating, and was implemented as a form of deterrence. On that matter, nothing has changed. Over decades, we have only perfected the logic. “Mike was a strong proponent of tow-backs, even under Labor,” a source says. “He would argue that one good tow-back would send a strong message. And the Malaysia transfer scheme, well that was a virtual tow-back. Within 24 hours of being on Christmas Island you’ll be on your way. It was always about deterrence.”

“All that ‘soft side’ of the shop was moved to other departments.”
But deterrence is not enough. The policy never contended with what would happen to the people whose treatment was the essence of that deterrence. “When Labor reopened Manus and Nauru there was never confidence that it was a long-term solution for the challenge of asylum seekers and people smugglers. There was never any confidence that these places could offer a safe, long-term option for asylum seekers, let alone any found to have claims recognised under the Refugee Convention and released into the local community as refugees. In fact, there were warnings that it would end badly. In deaths, even,” a senior source said.

“Several years later, these places are still running, still lurching from one human disaster to another. They’re torture camps now, and I don’t think any of the leadership team in the new Immigration Department care one bit. And the stories getting out – the newspaper articles and emails and letters – well, the more the stories get out about how awful it is, from the government’s perspective, the more it serves as a deterrent. That’s kind of the point.”

Militarisation of the department

What has changed, rapidly and profoundly, is the raison d’être of the Immigration Department. Its DNA has been forsaken. First is its abandonment of historical focus – that of the settlement and integration of refugees, a focus that has happily distinguished Australia from much of the world. “There was a range of things the department once did – for example, Harmony Day, humanitarian settlement, multiculturalism,” a source says. “All these are stripped from Immigration now. Broadly, there has been very little promotion of multicultural policy by this government. All that ‘soft side’ of the shop was moved under the machinery of government changes to other departments. It once was that skilled migration, tourism, student visas, citizenship, multicultural policy – that was the bread and butter of the department.”

Mike Pezzullo – Mr Secretary – oversees a dramatically militarised department, one that functions with increasing secrecy. There is now a command and control system; its senior bureaucrats wear military tunics. Long-term public servants, asked to exchange policy for army salutes, have left. About a quarter of senior executives are gone. Remaining immigration staff are now the beta tribe to the big dogs of Border Force, creating internecine angst, while the media team field daily questions about abuse exercised in their name.

“They’ve cut down on the sharing of information,” a source says. “A lot. And there are now many physically quarantined places in the building at Belconnen. There used to be just one area that if someone who wasn’t authorised to be there – like, they were employed by the department but were visiting that particular work station – then people would call out ‘Stranger on the floor’ and that was a sign to stop talking and clear your desk of anything sensitive. Well, now there are many such areas.”

Back during the 2010 election, policy briefs were written for the new government – whoever it might be. The brief from Immigration included the suggestion that Customs be amalgamated into the department. The deputy secretary, Bob Correll, was the strongest advocate for a pseudo-militarisation of the department’s functions, and while the advice was dropped, Correll would ensure it became reality when he became Scott Morrison’s chief of staff in 2013. Which is also when executives began leaving the department – the thought of implementing Correll’s ideology was unthinkable.

At the start of the year, the Australian Border Force Act gave birth to Australia’s newest security agency. The prime minister would officially launch it in July. The ABF was effectively a melding of Customs and Immigration officers, reconceived with considerably more power. ABF officers can carry arms, conduct surveillance and detain people. With these powers, the ABF patrols our seas, airports and detention centres.

The department was barely recognisable, and by the time the ABF was launched not one deputy secretary from two years earlier was still there. “Immigration didn’t bring Customs into its bosom,” a senior source tells me. “Customs absorbed Immigration into its bowel.”

The notorious media release

The ABF media release went out just after 10am last Friday. It was written by an inexperienced media officer and beneath the ultimate guidance of a new communications executive recruited from the Department of Defence. Armed ABF officers, it said, would be patrolling Melbourne’s CBD and stopping “any individual we cross paths with”. It went on: “You need to be aware of the conditions of your visa.”

Despite the inexperience of its author, the draft release managed to pass untouched through a slalom course of approval. Once published, the unhinging began.

The intention of the release was clear, even if its provenance wasn’t, and it was received incredulously by the public. A sort of giddy disgust fomented, one that would eventually spill onto Melbourne’s streets.

The ABF became swamped with criticism or requests for clarification, while public relations teams for myriad organisations and political offices privately sought their own explanations. Behind the scenes, a mad spaghetti junction was formed by the exchange of hundreds of emails. The desperation was understandable – a reasonable interpretation of the ABF’s own statement was that it was poised to conduct a spectacularly invasive and impractical operation, one at odds with the deepest virtues of our democracy. Later, the ABF would blame the controversy on the “mischaracterisation” of the release by the media, but as a source close to the operation told me: “[The statement] was entirely unambiguous. In fact, it was one of the plainer government media releases you’ll see.”

Operation Fortitude

Operation Fortitude was intended as a larger-than-usual presence of law enforcement on Melbourne’s public transport – as much public relations as preventive policing – with the stated goal of helping “commuter safety”. The ABF would play a minor role. For almost as long as we have had a visa system, we have had police working with Customs officers to ensure its integrity. “Compliance staff quietly waiting in their cars, or in the background somewhere,” a source familiar with the operation tells me, “waiting for police to speak, to come to them with, say, a driver’s licence or some form of ID which the compliance guys would key into their laptops and bring up information, such as whether they were on a visa, what type, what work restrictions, if any, and so forth.”

The ABF officers would have had a peripheral role – waiting until information from police was received – and secondary to the passive policing of transport hubs.

How Fortitude collapsed

Just before 1pm, the ABF released a statement it hoped would douse the fire. “To be clear,” it read, “the ABF does not and will not stop people at random in the streets … The ABF does not target on the basis of race, religion or ethnicity.” It didn’t help. There was now the dissonance between “commuter safety”, “stopping anyone” and the latest contradictory assurance. The words “To be clear” stubbornly suggested public misinterpretation, or was a weird confession of ambiguity where none existed. Meanwhile, the protest was bubbling. It was being swiftly organised online, and would soon transform onto the streets. But the public would be protesting a mirage.

From about 1.30pm, protesters began swarming Flinders Street Station’s entrance and its surrounding streets. They scrawled slogans on the footpaths in chalk; waved placards bearing crossed-out swastikas. They were mostly young, all appalled, and chanting “gently caress off Border Force”. The major streets ground to a halt. Trams and cars were blocked. There was gridlock in the city. By 2pm, the crowd was swollen and sincere in its belief that it was rejecting a reformation of Nazism.

There was low pleasure in watching the farce. It was operatic, and unfurled at pace. It had it all. There were “clarifications” that aided confusion. There were steel-jawed, military-garbed men blaming kids. There was the sheer speed of the collapse – only a handful of hours joined the declaration of an operation with its cancellation. And at the epicentre there was a young media officer incapable of grasping the size of her error and the complicated delirium it inspired. The whole day was like a realisation of Kessler syndrome – the hypothetical chain reaction that comes from one bit of space junk smashing into a satellite and generating its own catastrophic spray of debris. The result is exponentially increasing damage, and an orbit unfit for exploration.

There’s sufficient debris in the orbit now to retard analysis. The narrative is already well established – that the ABF actually intended to deploy themselves as illiberally as promised by the original media release, and that the left heroically repelled them. It’s a story widely told, from Bill Shorten to the Greens to human rights commissioner Tim Wilson. All have worked from the assumption that the original press release was accurate, and not the accidental confection of a witless comms officer. Which is what it was.

The protesters had forgotten Hanlon’s razor, which warns against attributing “conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity”. It is hard to retreat from a line of noble defiance. It’s infinitely more gratifying than the recognition you were picketing a fiction.

It might appear astonishing that such a press release could pass, but that suspicion assumes an unrelenting rigour in the system. The weakest link in this chain is not the youngest person, but the most bored or distracted. And that could be just about anyone. The writing of these things is a loveless exercise in mild propaganda. Their authors quickly inherit the cynicism of the political masters that dictate them. And upstairs, those masters are busy fretting and plotting. Quality control demands that each of them care equally about it, but that’s almost impossible.

The protesters lacked perspective, but they weren’t wrong to be alarmed by the release. The ABF’s stated intention was clear – until they told us it wasn’t. And the official response to the protests was speckled with cowardice and confusion. The ABF commissioner, Roman Quaedvlieg, said: “Taken into context, it makes absolute, perfect, legitimate sense. But read through the layperson’s eyes – which I absolutely openly acknowledge – it’s clumsily worded and it’s been misconstrued and it shouldn’t have been worded that way.”

We have now militarised our Immigration Department, but one of its leaders couldn’t plainly confront the enemy of internal incompetence. “That he blamed a low-level staffer is the height of disloyalty,” a senior source told me. “He should be man enough to take responsibility. He hasn’t done that.”

Senior public servants foresaw this bungle, as they warned years ago about the dangers of the government’s immigration policies. And both the scepticism and incompetence is the result of a profoundly reimagined Immigration Department.

‘Inanimate things’

Long ago our policies peeled away from sobriety and international law, and became the steel balls of a perpetual motion machine. Collectively we have pretended that intelligent policy is one that reinforces the previous mob’s brutality. Together we’ve agreed to pretend that immigration has little to do with our economy, or the barbarism of conflicts that we’ve already recognised by dispatching troops. It is hard to reconcile the fact that Australians have died trying to quell tyrannies that have created an exodus we’ve placed in distant and squalid camps.

It’s unlikely to change. “I don’t think Mike Pezzullo lets human consequence get in the way,” my source tells me. “He doesn’t let the human element of policy get in the way. Pezzullo comes from Customs – he’s dealt with inanimate things. Containers, mail, suitcases, drugs. It’s not humans. It’s not issues of settlement, integration, support. Mike’s not alone in this. Many in Customs are desensitised.”

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Actually from what I can tell it's because British politics is far more regionalised, fractured and fragmented, so you actually have lively debate on things like Scottish independence and whether or not Corbyn is a good idea as leader.

Also I was going to say at least Abbott hasn't managed to dismantle workers' rights the way the Tories have, but on the other hand, he'd like to. So never mind that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of the UK, you know that recent NY Times piece that mentioned some European politicians coming on fact-finding missions to Australia's refugee detention centres? Do we have any idea which European countries they came from? Because I wasn't aware any other nations apart from Britain were flipping out to that degree, not even Greece or Italy, who are the ones actually getting flooded.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't want to argue against whichever public official ASIO is most closely monitoring, I want to commit crimes against them. Haha

Nobody wants to commit crimes idiot

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I went to the Naomi Klein lecture at the Opera House today. Getup have uploaded the entire thing, it dwelt first on the death of Aylan Kurdi and then moved to the subject of Nauru which she goes in detail in the book about how its the intersection of Climate Change, extraction capitalism and refugees. It was very good.

Then for some reason they opened up the floor to questions, GUESS WHAT THE FIRST ONE WAS about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LuIAJEFUc&feature=youtu.be&t=2398

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

What's got your scrunt in a taint today friend

I'm angrier than I have been in a long, long time. Auspol tragics would simply tell me to drink piss for my views but I have reached bat poo poo crazy status based on the state of the world.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

If you are driving a car then you can be asked to show your licence.

Not only that, you can be asked for a sample of breath to prove you're not under the influence.

Is that also worthy of a nazi comparison? When will these jackbooted neanderthals stop trampling MUH FREEDUMS

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
See what I mean?

Dispassionte presentation of a nightmare, with a couple'a idiots rejecting it, throughout perperuity, ain't a good read

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 5, 2015

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm angrier than I have been in a long, long time. Auspol tragics would simply tell me to drink piss for my views but I have reached bat poo poo crazy status based on the state of the world.

If you were in favour of our horrid asylum seeker policies then why would you be angry? Looks like refugees are being treated terribly and kept out of most places. Are you angry because they exist?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Did you guys know that in many countries on this gay Earth, foreigners are legally required to carry their passport with them at all times? Such terrible places as Japan, for example. If you don't have it, you will be detained! Amazing they haven't fired up the gas chambers yet right?

There are actual legit things to get upset about, and then there's Sarah being late for work.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Negligent posted:

Did you guys know that in many countries on this gay Earth, foreigners are legally required to carry their passport with them at all times? Such terrible places as Japan, for example. If you don't have it, you will be detained! Amazing they haven't fired up the gas chambers yet right?

There are actual legit things to get upset about, and then there's Sarah being late for work.

Japan is widely perceived as having a messed up justice system that is effectively "guilty until proven innocent" so not the best example for you to use.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Care to elaborate why?

You can drop me a PM if you like.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Japan is widely perceived as having a messed up justice system that is effectively "guilty until proven innocent" so not the best example for you to use.

The point being that in many countries it is considered normal and desirable that foreign nationals identify themselves upon request by law enforcement agents. If Border Fart had their poo poo together the cops would be able to access some sort of database and send Sarah on her way, but instead she had to make a phone call and was late for work.

The situation described is not the start of a slippery slope to goosestepping through Europe.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Negligent posted:

The point being that in many countries it is considered normal and desirable that foreign nationals identify themselves upon request by law enforcement agents. If Border Fart had their poo poo together the cops would be able to access some sort of database and send Sarah on her way, but instead she had to make a phone call and was late for work.

The situation described is not the start of a slippery slope to goosestepping through Europe.

No, you Japan can't be used as a fair example, as they're easily the most racist country on earth.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Honestly, I'm happy these needsome fluff pieces are coming out because it indicates the public in general are unhappy with the idea of "THE MOTHERFUCKING BORDER FORCE".

Having said that, most countries that expect you to carry around your visas and whatnot are generally not countries you want to be basing yourself off of.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Abbott thinks he is a gift from God to the Australian people and probably thinks he can physically goosestep on water to europe so maybe you're wrong gently caress head

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Negligent posted:

ya I wouldn't use the 'rest of the world' as a benchmark of how we SHOULD run our country, lol idiot

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Having said that, most countries that expect you to carry around your visas and whatnot are generally not countries you want to be basing yourself off of.

the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany all require a photo id of which a passport is one example

probably more but that's all that showed up on the first page of google

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany all require a photo id of which a passport is one example

probably more but that's all that showed up on the first page of google

Excepting my time at the airport, I wasn't asked to show my passport in either the Netherlands or Germany. Things may have changed in a decade though.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

a law enforcement officer should always assume that a foreign national who produces a foreign drivers licence as proof of entitlement to drive is in the country legally. any country that allows its officers to ask whether you are in the country legally is racist and probably hitler

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

tithin posted:

Excepting my time at the airport, I wasn't asked to show my passport in either the Netherlands or Germany. Things may have changed in a decade though.
you are supposed to have it if you are asked for it, in practice you may never be asked. consider yourself lucky to not have been questioned by the actual nazis in Germany.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Negligent posted:

a law enforcement officer should always assume that a foreign national who produces a foreign drivers licence as proof of entitlement to drive is in the country legally. any country that allows its officers to ask whether you are in the country legally is racist and probably hitler

this but unironically. eroding civil rights and increasing police state laws and 'border force' presence in contrast with unethical asylum seeker treatment and fear mongering over refugees is actually p bad and related regardless of the hyperbole of the article. things in reality aren't compartmentalized even if you do have autism and distinguish that this occurs elsewhere in the world. no poo poo sherlock

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 5, 2015

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent posted:

I agree. In practice though, I'm pretty sure the rule is (in victoria at least) that you can use a foreign or our of state licence for up to three months after emigrating to a particular state, after which you have to change.

Negligent posted:

you are supposed to have it if you are asked for it, in practice you may never be asked. consider yourself lucky to not have been questioned by the actual nazis in Germany.

Funny story, when I was lounging around Munich airport, they were walking around in uniform with mp5s. Was a real eye opener for me at the time.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Guys, you are arguing with Negligent.

Is anyone surprised that someone who thinks Cambodia is a loving paradise sees no issue with the erosion of civil liberties?

If warrantless arbitrary house searches were introduced he'd probably be dead set in favor of that too.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Really the whole bit about having to carry around visa papers is a red herring.

The real problem is when you dont have papers or withhold them but the authorities can check your records without your consent. In every state you are required to give your name and address to police. If border fart links up their system to the police computer, then bleep bloop who gives a poo poo about papers, that's so 1940s, with an ipad we can make the question "what is your name?" scary.

that's the actual insidious part that the stupid nazi comparisons miss.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
how can we even have a border force we don't have a border

we have a coastline.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

how can we even have a border force we don't have a border

we have a coastline.

We consider the border not to be a purely physical barrier separating nation states, but a complex continuum stretching offshore and onshore, including the overseas, maritime, physical border and domestic dimensions of the border - border continuum diagram. To protect the safety, security and commercial interests of Australia, we are working with our partner agencies to develop intelligence-based profiles of risk across each dimension of the border continuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Border continuum was also the name of a Star Trek episode

• Locked thread