Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

That's one thing I wish auspol would change.

It would serve the world much better if Devine, Jones, Haddley, Bolt and their ilk recanted and realised the error of their ways, and frankly it's a much better look to wish for that, rather than wishing for the death of people.

Seeing as neither is going to happen any time soon, why not wish for the one that doesn't make you look like a sociopath?

I bet you're a smash at parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

katlington posted:

smash the state more like

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Deport Andrew Bolt back to Nazi Germany.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Birb Katter posted:

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has signed papers ordering the deportation of Sydney bikie boss Sam Ibrahim.

Ibrahim is in jail, charged with running an illegal firearms syndicate.

He was born in Lebanon and came to Australia as a child

Australia gettin' our mission statement backwards

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Deport Andrew Bolt back to Nazi Germany.

Bolt and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
:drat:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the toy F35

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

katlington posted:

Jokes on you, I don't have any friends and so don't go to parties.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

ewe2 posted:

I love the toy F35

I think it's supposed to be an F/A-18.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

Honestly I think the joke is better with an F35.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Jokes on you, I don't have any friends and so don't go to parties.

You don't say

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

It's definitely an F-35

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
It doesn't really look like either of them (nacelles on top of the wings? :rolleyes: whatever pope) but the F/A-18 has those wing-tip missile launch rails that the F35 lacks.

Whatever though, it's not a real jet at all but an obvious toy in the hands of a cruel child/man using it as a prop to play at war to make himself look big.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Unimpressed posted:

I'm pretty sure Jordan's taken even more, and they have a population of 6 million.

literally 60% of that 6 million are descendants of Palestinian refugees

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A good Club Troppo read:

quote:

It is increasingly clear that neither the political nor industrial wings of the Labor movement have come to terms with the full implications of the neoliberal revolution that Bob Hawke and Paul Keating embraced and set in motion from 1985 onwards. Labor is far more interested in discrediting Royal Commssioner Dyson Heydon at just about any cost than in confronting the evident systemic problems that its hearings have revealed.

Goes on to describe how the revolving door works on the union/ALP side which is no less pernicious than the standard old boys networks of the LNP. That doesn't detract from the problems of the RC which is a witch hunt AND exposing stuff the ALP is in denial about.

quote:

In a wider systemic sense, trade unions now have a corporatist identity and culture. Just as the interests and culture of corporate board members and executive management differ from each other and the interests of both differ from their shareholders, so it is with 21st century unions. Just as corporations need regulators for different purposes (ASX, ASIC and ACCC) to ensure honest governance, so too effective trade union governance requires more than just oversight by the Fair Work Commission. We really need an effective and unsullied Trade Union Royal Commission to reach strong and plausible recommendations on those issues. Heydon’s Commission was handicapped from the start by Abbott’s thinly disguised cynical partisan motives. It is now terminally discredited whether or not a High Court challenge is pursued and whatever its result. The best result we can now hope for is that a judicial review challenge is pursued, that it succeeds, and that Abbott (or his successor as PM) appoints a more credible impartial Royal Commissioner in Heydon’s place.

But fat chance that a Shorten government would actually go the distance with such an RC either.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

Hey has anyone got early dibs on October? If not, can I grab them cause I want to write up a Mister Rogers themed love-in OP before I see too many dead kids on my Facebook or something and get all sad and burnt out again.
Just be sure to put it up on time or I might pinch it again :downs:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Pickled Tink posted:

Just be sure to put it up on time or I might pinch it again :downs:
I'm about angry enough to do another one if given the smallest window of opportunity.

Speaking of toy planes:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-05/andrews-to-recommend-australia-extends-air-strikes-reports/6752046

quote:

Defence Minister Kevin Andrews to recommend Australia extend air strikes into Syria By political reporter Dan Conifer Updated 22 minutes ago

Defence Minister Kevin Andrews will recommend Australia extend air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group into Syria. The Federal Government is considering a United States request to expand bombing operations across Iraq's western border into Syria. Cabinet's National Security Committee will make a decision this week and has been waiting for Mr Andrews to return from overseas to provide a briefing. The Minister has said he was likely to support the move. "This is ultimately a decision for the National Security Committee of Cabinet to make," Mr Andrews said. "However, in light of the circumstances, my inclination is to do this. This is not a radical departure from what we are doing now; it is simply widening our area of operation."

Government frontbencher Mitch Fifield said the Coalition party room would be comfortable with Australia increasing its military commitment. "We know that IS don't observe the borders that they travel from Iraq into Syria, and at the moment we've been prevented from continuing a mission across that border," the Assistant Social Services Minister told Sky News. "I think my colleagues in the party room would be very comfortable with doing more to seek to defeat IS." Super Hornet and classic Hornet fighter bombers would reportedly undertake limited and carefully planned strikes on IS military depots and command posts that launch attacks into Iraq. Mr Andrews said Iraq would remain the focus of Australian operations.

Australia joined the international effort to defeat IS in September last year. Its contribution currently consists of six F/A-18 fighter jets, a surveillance aircraft, a refueller, 200 special forces soldiers and 400 military staff operating in support of the US-led mission. Former coalition forces commander David Petraeus encouraged Australia to expand its role, as did former Labor foreign minister :siren: Bob Carr :siren: .

But critics of the expansion have included former ADF chief Retired General Peter Gration, who said bombing raids would be illegal and disastrous, and Labor's foreign affairs spokeswoman Tanya Plibersek.
Better we kill them before they can get on a boat.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-04/abbott-defends-asylum-seeker-policy-amid-migrant-crisis/6749344

quote:

(excerpt)Mr Abbott said the photo, which has sparked fresh outrage over Syria's asylum seeker crisis, justified the need for tough border protection policies. Warning: This story contains an image that may distress some readers. "If you want to stop the deaths, if you want to stop the drownings, you've got to stop the boats," Mr Abbott told ABC Goulburn Murray local radio. "We saw yesterday on our screens a very sad and poignant image of children tragically, tragically dead at sea in illegal migration. "And thankfully we've stopped that in Australia because we've stopped the illegal boats, we've said to the people smugglers, 'your trade has closed down'. "As long as people think that if they can get here they can stay here, we'll have the illegal trade, we'll have the people smugglers in business and we'll have the tragedies at sea."

Beyond parody, below humanity.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Secret freeze on refugee citizenship process

Specifically, for boat arrivals

:allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is one of the most petty and ridiculous things about the government that I have ever read, which is obviously saying a lot.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

day before his ceremony, Rahim received a phone call. It was from the Immigration Department, telling him that his citizenship ceremony was cancelled for tomorrow. He was told he would receive another letter soon. He was given no explanation. All he could think was, “What wrongs have I done?” Ten months have passed and he has not received another letter. “When I call the department, they don’t give me any reason, just saying, ‘It’s under process – wait,’ ” he says. “I don’t know what the problem is. They don’t tell me what my crime is.”

Rahim is one of dozens of refugees with permanent residency who have told The Saturday Paper that their citizenship ceremonies were delayed or cancelled without explanation. One refugee whose ceremony was cancelled eight months ago said: “I got a text message and email [from the department] saying that my citizenship has been scheduled in error – please do not attend the ceremony as you won’t be given citizenship certificate.”

One Iranian refugee, who has been waiting for his citizenship ceremony since late 2013, says the department will only tell him his application is “under process”. The uncertainty leaves him tormented. “This has robbed me of my sleep at night. I can’t go to work some days. I am lost and don’t know what to do.” He worries about the partner he left in Iran three years ago. “My fiancĂ©e thinks I am a liar when I tell her, ‘I will come next week, I will come next month or next year.’ She does not believe me anymore. I fear I would lose her. The department should tell me, they give me [citizenship] or not, not put me in this uncertain situation indefinitely.”

David Manne, the director of the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre, says one refugee aided by his organisation has been waiting for more than two years to receive citizenship “The delay in the citizenship, despite having a legal entitlement to it, is quite inexplicable and unjustifiable.” 

Heather Marr, a migration agent and refugee advocate in Western Australia, made a freedom of information application for one of her clients who had been waiting for his citizenship for nearly two years. “This [delay in citizenship] is part of a process, that the department and the minister revisit the decision to punish those who came by boat,” she says. “There is a sheer incompetence in his case officer’s part that could not read his file and a whole page was missing from his file when assessing his application for citizenship.”

The Saturday Paper spoke to another refugee who made his application for citizenship in June. The money for this application has been taken from his bank account, but he has heard nothing more. “They did not send me a confirmation letter that they have received my application.”
Abbott did say he would do it by hook or by crook.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Frogmanv2 posted:

That's one thing I wish auspol would change.

It would serve the world much better if Devine, Jones, Haddley, Bolt and their ilk recanted and realised the error of their ways, and frankly it's a much better look to wish for that, rather than wishing for the death of people.

Seeing as neither is going to happen any time soon, why not wish for the one that doesn't make you look like a sociopath?

I hope you fall off the moral high ground and break your neck.

I hope this global response to the refugee crisis gives Australia's pro-refugee movement the push it needs, but it probably won't.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Splode posted:

I hope you fall off the moral high ground and break your neck.

I hope this global response to the refugee crisis gives Australia's pro-refugee movement the push it needs, but it probably won't.

I hope you never experience the pain and suffering that losing someone very close to you brings. If you do, maybe you will change your tune on death.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Frogmanv2 posted:

I hope you never experience the pain and suffering that losing someone very close to you brings. If you do, maybe you will change your tune on death.

Well doy, that's why we're awaiting Devine and Bolt.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

If their families haven't disowned them for being disgraceful human beings who cause suffering to others then they deserve every bit of it

And yes, I have had close family members die before you write me off Graic-style as someone who doesn't have enough ~life experience~

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

"Sure these people are horrible pieces of work who use their positions in the public discourse to promote racist policies of rape and torture against people who are fleeing for their lives but they love their families very much"

gently caress off

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I just want them to lose their jobs.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Telling someone in Auspol to get off their moral high horse sounds pretty sad when it's so easily applied to anything else we argue in favor of.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Bifauxnen posted:

Telling someone in Auspol to get off their moral high horse sounds pretty sad when it's so easily applied to anything else we argue in favor of.

That's the issue though, in the context of what we're debating, complaining about internet people using violent imagery and hyperbole trivialises everything else, and makes it very easy for people to dismiss all the arguments as bleeding heart rubbish. It's not constructive and it just comes off as trying to win "most morally correct" instead of actually debating.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

"Sure these people are horrible pieces of work who use their positions in the public discourse to promote racist policies of rape and torture against people who are fleeing for their lives but they love their families very much"

gently caress off

Yeah not my point. It's their family that will suffer the most and to my knowledge, don't deserve it. Once you are dead, you don't suffer any more.

You go on wishing hateful poo poo on people though, if it makes you feel better. I have said my piece and we can drop it now.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I would gladly watch Bolt/abbott/etc etc burnt alive at the stake. No regrets.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Splode posted:

That's the issue though, in the context of what we're debating, complaining about internet people using violent imagery and hyperbole trivialises everything else, and makes it very easy for people to dismiss all the arguments as bleeding heart rubbish. It's not constructive and it just comes off as trying to win "most morally correct" instead of actually debating.

Yeah, I know tone arguments are stupid. Someone who really wants to ignore our arguments can pick whatever justification they want. Either we're too bleeding heart, or we're not bleeding heart enough! Just listen to those horrible vicious and nasty people wishing death on others, my word!

I just don't like to see infighting over it when someone could easily just not have your stomach for the "kill u r self" classics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I always wondered why exactly Auspol's so bloodthirsty like this. It's pretty unlike every other thread on SA I follow, even the political ones.

Maybe it's just the fact Auspol evolved from a LF thread. Or possibly because Australian politics feels pretty glib and harsh anyway, so we gravitate pretty readily to 'kill yourself' territory.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Kill Abbott posted:

Europe migrant crisis: Finland's PM Juha Sipilä offers own home to asylum seekers

Finland's prime minister Juha Sipilä has promised to open his own home to asylum seekers coming to the country and has urged all Finns to help with the refugee crisis.

Mr Sipilä, who spends most of his time in Helsinki, said his home in Kempele in the country's north was little used at the moment and would house asylum seekers from the start of next year.

"We should all take a look in the mirror and ask how we can help," Mr Sipila told national broadcaster YLE.

European leaders are struggling to agree to policies to deal with a huge influx of migrants, many of whom are fleeing war in Syria.

Mr Sipilä said a European Union plan to distribute 120,000 refugees arriving in Greece, Italy and Hungary to countries around the EU should be voluntary and that he hoped Finland would set an example for other countries.

The announcement came after thousands of exhausted asylum seekers streamed into Austria after being bussed to the border by the Hungarian government, which gave up trying to hold them back after days of confrontation and chaos.

Austrian police said about 4,000 refugees had arrived since the early morning hours, with many more to come.

Finland's government yesterday doubled its estimate for the number of asylum seekers in the country this year to up to 30,000.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Cleretic posted:

I always wondered why exactly Auspol's so bloodthirsty like this. It's pretty unlike every other thread on SA I follow, even the political ones.

Maybe it's just the fact Auspol evolved from a LF thread. Or possibly because Australian politics feels pretty glib and harsh anyway, so we gravitate pretty readily to 'kill yourself' territory.

We live in a nation whose wildlife is designed to kill you at almost every opportunity. This naturally reflects on everything we do.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cleretic posted:

Maybe it's because out politicians are actually carrying out a campaign of rape and torture against refugees?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Auspol has a squad of dark knights with my way or the highway attitudes. :hist101:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Nations treating asylum seekers like its some kind of telethon is a depravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Graic Gabtar posted:

Nations treating asylum seekers like its some kind of telethon is a depravity.

C'mon son, you can do better than that. That's some weak rear end poo poo.

• Locked thread