Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

ackapoo posted:

I'm starting my first garment (well, soon I hope) and I'm so nervous. I thought my pattern booklet would have arrived from Jimmy Beans Wool by now, but the tracking number is still stuck at "your package just left Reno on 3/9." Here's to hoping it comes soon.

I've never knit a sweater/top/tee/ whatever and I have no idea what to expect. Do any of you have any pointers? I don't want to mess this up :/

Mistakes will be made. Just know that going into it. So far all of my big projects have had something happen. Whether it's a slipped stitch that you don't notice for 20 rows, a color pattern that you managed to switch two colors on or ending up with fewer (or more) stitches than you thought you'd been knitting the whole time.

Mistakes have actually made me a better knitter because I'm learning to deal with them in new ways with new techniques rather than roboticly following the pattern and only learning what the pattern has to teach.

I've also ended up having to go back several rows when the mistake is just too much. So I would say try to be zen about it. It's okay if you mess up. It'll make a great post if nothing else. And be sure to post pictures when you're finished!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I'm doing a jumper with bust darts and I am unsure what size I should have chosen. I went with bust size and am starting to think that will end up huge.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
NaCl, I guess better thant than too small? My biggest fear for when I finally get around to making myself a sweater... Everything will fit but the girls will be stretching things out so much you can see the fabric underneath and it will look terrible. :( Or I'll make a cardi and be popping buttons (which is the problem with commercial sweaters).

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Does anyone have any advice on softening scratchy yarn like Icelandic wool? I knit myself a nice hat with Lopi, but it has coarse, wiry hairs that make it annoying to wear.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Does anyone have any advice on softening scratchy yarn like Icelandic wool? I knit myself a nice hat with Lopi, but it has coarse, wiry hairs that make it annoying to wear.

Interested in hearing about this too, I have a Icelandic sweater I knitted a couple of years ago in the same yarn that I haven't blocked or anything yet.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

I've heard that rinsing it in diluted vinegar can make scratchy wool softer.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Try hair conditioner.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Lining the hat will do the job nicely.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Sodium Chloride posted:

Lining the hat will do the job nicely.

I would, but it's my first double knit hat, and I like using both sides. I'll consider that for my next Lopi adventure.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Alright thread, I've got another pair of friends getting married in June and I'd like to knit them something, but a blanket is pretty much out of the question. I don't have a lot of time to knit (I work like 60 hour weeks) so I need something small, or big yarn, and easy to do on the go. So really fairly mindless, not much counting. Counting ended up being my bane for the hemlock ring blanket... which I still haven't finished because I got mostly done and counted and found out that half my fans had varying stitch counts. No lifelines from the last time I had checked. Ugh.

So.... any other ideas for things to do?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't do blankets, so I don't have any specific pattern recommendations. But for lace, definitely use five million stitch markers (bits of contrasting scrap yarn work fine) to keep your repeats separate and even.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Phishi posted:

Alright thread, I've got another pair of friends getting married in June and I'd like to knit them something, but a blanket is pretty much out of the question. I don't have a lot of time to knit (I work like 60 hour weeks) so I need something small, or big yarn, and easy to do on the go. So really fairly mindless, not much counting. Counting ended up being my bane for the hemlock ring blanket... which I still haven't finished because I got mostly done and counted and found out that half my fans had varying stitch counts. No lifelines from the last time I had checked. Ugh.

If it fits their style, a big knitted pouf is easy to make.
http://www.homeecflunkee.com/2011/10/how-to-make-knitted-pouf-ottoman.html
http://www.pickles.no/puff-daddy-knitted-stool/

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Phishi posted:

I'm going to be working on some cable knit throw pillows for our bedroom. It's square, so I don't have any increases/decreases and small enough that it doesn't take tons of yarn like an afghan.

Also, I made a pouf and it gets pricy when you start looking at the great big yarn. Mine was for my brother for their baby room and they ended up getting a smaller, cheaper yarn and I knitted the entire thing with two strands. It did go pretty fast, though, and it turned out cool.

*Note, the baby was a month early and is very small, so the pouf looks a lot bigger than it is. I used the Pickles pattern but ended up modifying it somewhat.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone identify a stitch for me? My mom has this gorgeously soft "Limited Edition Harley" Davidson scarf and she won't let me pull it apart. It's not like I wouldn't put it back together, right?

e: I don't think it's a twisted drop stitch. It's not "holey" but it is very drapey.

Slate Slabrock fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 22, 2013

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Slate Slabrock posted:

Can anyone identify a stitch for me? My mom has this gorgeously soft "Limited Edition Harley" Davidson scarf and she won't let me pull it apart. It's not like I wouldn't put it back together, right?

e: I don't think it's a twisted drop stitch. It's not "holey" but it is very drapey.

Maybe a bamboo stitch with really big yarn? What does the reverse look like?

Nione fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 22, 2013

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nione posted:

Maybe a bamboo stitch with really big yarn? What does the reverse look like?

I think it's reversible, I'll have to check again. Mom won't let me near it unsupervised, I'll have to find it next time I'm over there. It might be bamboo stitch, maybe with two strands of yarn?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Slate Slabrock posted:

Hmm. I'm not familiar with bamboo stitch but I looked it up - this looks a little different to me. In bamboo stitch the yarnovers cross over the knitted stitches but always in the same direction. In this it looks like they alternate directions. Not sure how that would be done though.

It actually doesn't look knitted to me at all, but I'm definitely not an expert in that area. It kinda reminds me of this thing my friend got off TV and used to make blankets for a while, some kind of tiny loom type thing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Phishi posted:

Dishcloths, dishcloths, dishcloths. Go to Wal-mart and get one of those 15 oz cones of cheap cotton and go to town. You can finish them up in a few hours each, you don't even really need a pattern if you don't want one, and if you ahve any stitches you've been wanting to learn/practice, now's your chance!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I just bought yarn to make this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kidseta-feminine-top (http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/KidSeta_FeminineTop.pdf)

If anyone has time to look at the pattern, this is knit flat (outside of the yoke) but in the construction is there any reason that I couldn't knit the sleeves in the round? I don't have a lot of construction experience, so I'm having a hard time parsing it without more detailed instructions (or other projects to reference on Ravelry). I wish I could see it on a not-as-graceful-as-a-swan person but I guess someone has to be the first to post pics.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Just at a glance I don't see why not; I know when you get to the sleeve cap you'll want to go to flat instead of round. The slipped stitches at the edge would make it easier to seam. The only thing I could think of is the seam giving some structure vs seamless, to try and help keep it from sagging. Course, I wouldn't know; I can't knit with mohair, so I'm not sure how it behaves.

fwuh
Jun 22, 2011
In case you guys didn't know, there's a mystery KAL on Ravelry for the new Game of Thrones season. Like many of the other knitters, I'm using Lorna's Laces in Winter is Coming, but it may be too late to order that before the KAL starts (they have a backlog). It starts this weekend with the new season premier!

Here's the link to the Ravelry project page

Here's the blog that will release the pattern

And here's my Winter is Coming gauge swatch!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I've decided this is the year for me to take the plunge and enter some work in the county fair. I've just woven in the ends on this (and I'm so in love with it, I can't even stand it). The picture doesn't show it well, but there are 6/0 beads at every point where the overlay crosses:

Now I'm thinking of doing a quick baby set before trying to finish my husband's long-dormant cabled cardigan in time for entry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That looks great! You couldn't pay me to enter my work in a county fair, though. At least around here, the judges are clueless, the entries are not good, the prize is literally $5, and there's always the chance of things getting lost or stolen. I know it varies by location, though.

Can you guys think of any cabled cowls with buttons? I always thought there were a bunch, but then I started searching Ravelry and found two. I'd like to do it in worsted (Tosh vintage), but I can probably adapt from other weights, within reason.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

I've decided this is the year for me to take the plunge and enter some work in the county fair. I've just woven in the ends on this (and I'm so in love with it, I can't even stand it). The picture doesn't show it well, but there are 6/0 beads at every point where the overlay crosses:

Now I'm thinking of doing a quick baby set before trying to finish my husband's long-dormant cabled cardigan in time for entry.

Oh, I love that pattern. It's been in my favorites for ages. Nice colors!

I've never been able to figure out HOW to submit things to my local fair. They really don't make it easy. But every year I go and look at the knitting shed and think "yeah, I've knit better stuff than that. Hmph".

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Hey! I haven't actually been in here in a while - though it looks like you're all still kicking out awesome FO's.

I just wanted to share that my buddy and I have put the first issue of our knitting-based comic "The Knittrix" up on the web for all to see.

If that sounds like something you might be into, please check it out at https://www.theknittrix.com

I will have to take pics of all my current WIPs and come share.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Anne Whateley posted:

Can you guys think of any cabled cowls with buttons? I always thought there were a bunch, but then I started searching Ravelry and found two. I'd like to do it in worsted (Tosh vintage), but I can probably adapt from other weights, within reason.

These two were designed by a friend of mine (cables and buttons are her bread and butter) and are super chunky but could be adapted. This one from Blue Sky Alpaca is in DK, but again, pretty easy to adapt.

You get more results searching for scarves or general neck/torso, probably because some people only consider it a cowl if it's in the round.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Slate Slabrock posted:

I've seen something similar, and I can't find the pattern for the life of me. IIRC, it's done by inserting the right needle into the second stitch on the left needle, pulling that stitch OVER the first stitch on the left needle, and then knitting or purling that stitch as the first stitch, and THEN knitting the original first stitch as the second stitch. I'll try it out and see how it looks for you.

EDIT: drat I'M SMOOTH.

Ok, my swatch looks pretty close to that scarf. You want a tweedy, soft, kinda fuzzy yarn, and HUGE rear end NEEDLES. I used worsted weight yarn, and size US 15 needles, and they could have been a bigger. Cast on, knit one row, purl one row, and then insert the right needle into the SECOND stitch on the left needle to knit. (like doing a K2TOG only with just the one stitch) Knit that stitch, and as you're pulling that one off the needle, pull it OVER the first stitch. Then just knit the original first stitch like normal. Do this all the way across, and you want to do it purl-wise on the wrong side. I also tried it in garter stitch, and although it looks cool, it does not look like your One True Scarf there.

(Disclaimer: Please try this out on your own before buying a ton of yarn for a scarf)

vv Or just look up directions to the stitch pattern Stabby named. (:argh:)

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 25, 2013

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Amykinz posted:

I've seen something similar, and I can't find the pattern for the life of me. IIRC, it's done by inserting the right needle into the second stitch on the left needle, pulling that stitch OVER the first stitch on the left needle, and then knitting or purling that stitch as the first stitch, and THEN knitting the original first stitch as the second stitch. I'll try it out and see how it looks for you.

What you're describing is called the plaited basket stitch. I've been working on a scarf using that stitch. Here is a progress shot:

edit: actually, I'm going through your instructions in my head, and plaited basket might be a little bit different. You just knit the second stitch before the first stitch. It's really just a ton of tiny 1 st cables.

stab stabby fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 26, 2013

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Drei posted:

These two were designed by a friend of mine (cables and buttons are her bread and butter) and are super chunky but could be adapted. This one from Blue Sky Alpaca is in DK, but again, pretty easy to adapt.

Both of those look cool. I love cowls, though I haven't messed with cable stuff in a while.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

stab stabby posted:

What you're describing is called the plaited basket stitch. I've been working on a scarf using that stitch. Here is a progress shot:

Well I know what the next scarf I knit is going to be like.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh, I love that pattern. It's been in my favorites for ages. Nice colors!

About a month or two ago, the designer posted in the Patterns forum on Ravelry that in honor of her birthday she was giving away patterns. She gave a code that was good for 1 day for any of her patterns. I *had* to have it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

About a month or two ago, the designer posted in the Patterns forum on Ravelry that in honor of her birthday she was giving away patterns. She gave a code that was good for 1 day for any of her patterns. I *had* to have it.

LOL, I just looked up the designer and it turns out I have like four of her patterns favorited without even realizing they were all the same person. I guess I really, really like her style.

Oak Park, All the Shades of Truth, and Vice Versa are all on my to-do list now.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Amykinz posted:

EDIT: drat I'M SMOOTH.

Ok, my swatch looks pretty close to that scarf. You want a tweedy, soft, kinda fuzzy yarn, and HUGE rear end NEEDLES. I used worsted weight yarn, and size US 15 needles, and they could have been a bigger. Cast on, knit one row, purl one row, and then insert the right needle into the SECOND stitch on the left needle to knit. (like doing a K2TOG only with just the one stitch) Knit that stitch, and as you're pulling that one off the needle, pull it OVER the first stitch. Then just knit the original first stitch like normal. Do this all the way across, and you want to do it purl-wise on the wrong side. I also tried it in garter stitch, and although it looks cool, it does not look like your One True Scarf there.

(Disclaimer: Please try this out on your own before buying a ton of yarn for a scarf)

vv Or just look up directions to the stitch pattern Stabby named. (:argh:)

stab stabby posted:

edit: actually, I'm going through your instructions in my head, and plaited basket might be a little bit different. You just knit the second stitch before the first stitch. It's really just a ton of tiny 1 st cables.

You guys are awesome. I have never fallen in scarf lust (I really don't wear them, just keep knitting them for everyone else) before I saw this Harley scarf. It's the perfect width, super long (and I hope no one is wearing it on a motorcycle, they'll end up like Isadora Duncan), and so soft and drapey. :allears:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I am a glutton for punishment and I have started a Color Affection shawl. So far so good but I'm not looking forward to the short rows-I'm going to struggle to convert the M1's in the pattern to the KFB that everyone on Ravelry recommends. Just started the stripes with the first contrast color!

All three colors together. I'm using KnitPicks Palette: Calypso Heather as the main color, Clarity as the C1, and Marina as the C2.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Love those colours, can't wait to see it finished!

I'm leaving on a weekend trip tomorrow (Friday). There will be about 8 hours of driving tomorrow (I'm not driving all weekend), probably another 6-8 hours on Monday, then 3-4 on Tuesday. A lot of knitting time.

It's 10.30pm. We're leaving at about 8am tomorrow. I've been pondering which knitting projects would be best for the trip for the last week. I only started thinking about which clothes to pack a few hours ago, after I realised I was cutting it a bit short and should really get a move on.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I went on a road trip a few months ago and took a small blanket to knit. It was a pretty simple pattern so I could work on it and not worry about getting distracted and screwing up, plus hey, free blanket! We were driving through the high desert and the driver had the A/C on, which was a little too cold for me, so having a blanket was super awesome. Wish I had taken it on my last road trip.. We were driving through a different part of the desert and it was freezing at night. Couldn't turn the heater on either, because it was putting the driver to sleep. :(

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I don't know if anyone here has credit card info at Lion Brand's website or reuses the password they use there for anything, but they seem to store their passwords as plain text. It may be a good idea to change your password or remove your CC info if they store it. I realized it today when I went to login and couldn't remember my password. Clicked the forgot password link and they emailed me the actual password.

Given how often websites get hacked, just wanted to give fellow knitters a heads up. I've never purchased anything direct from them so I don't know if they store credit card information.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Peppercat posted:

Color Affection

I really want to make one of these for me, could you let me know what the yardages needed for each color are?

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I can do my best to estimate how much per skein I have left, but I don't have anything that will accurately measure it for me. I can tell you this is going to take me a while so I wouldn't expect an answer anytime soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The pattern doesn't give yardages for each color? That is weird...