Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

rap music posted:

no generally people don't constantly look over their shoulders for serial killers that think like this

You're actually saving hundreds of lives by adopting pitbulls just to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

so donate to peta, if thats your thing wgas

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Superconsndar posted:

^^^^Don't be surprised if it randomly goes for the labs, hth :)

P much, like there's just no reason to bother unless you're just really fucken into wine making (or a terrible dog breed)

I actually "rotate" my dogs by throwing one out on a chain setup (long as poo poo so he has like half the yard) while the other one chills inside, then when it's time for the first one to come in the second one just goes either in his crate or in another room (usually my partner's office w/her) with the door closed (because he is a gay baby about being chained; the first one likes it outside so w/e.) Most people just use permanent chain setups but I like to actually chill with my dogs so rotation works for us. The weird show and rescue moms who have like half a dozen dogs in a tiny suburban house who have to do hardcore crate and rotate are p dumb because each dog gets like an hour out per day and that's p hosed up but they're poo poo at dogs anyway.

e; It goes like this "hey i'm bringing [Dog 1] inside can I put [Dog 2] in ur office for a lil while" and then I do that and thats p much the extent of effort

That's not normal dude. you got lovely dogs

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
"Look at all the poo poo I have to do just to keep a couple mountains lions in the house."
"Maybe you shouldn't own mountain lions?"
"yeah, I know, right? LOL"

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Superconsndar posted:

I actually "rotate" my dogs by throwing one out on a chain setup (long as poo poo so he has like half the yard) while the other one chills inside, then when it's time for the first one to come in the second one just goes either in his crate or in another room (usually my partner's office w/her) with the door closed (because he is a gay baby about being chained; the first one likes it outside so w/e.) Most people just use permanent chain setups but I like to actually chill with my dogs so rotation works for us. The weird show and rescue moms who have like half a dozen dogs in a tiny suburban house who have to do hardcore crate and rotate are p dumb because each dog gets like an hour out per day and that's p hosed up but they're poo poo at dogs anyway.

e; It goes like this "hey i'm bringing [Dog 1] inside can I put [Dog 2] in ur office for a lil while" and then I do that and thats p much the extent of effort

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
So uhhh what does GBS think of wolf hybrids?

Anecdotalpost: I know someone with two pit bulls and he is not training them well enough and I'm afraid that the younger one is going to be a little shithead, and is far too bitey towards human hands.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Ardemia posted:

So uhhh what does GBS think of wolf hybrids?

Anecdotalpost: I know someone with two pit bulls and he is not training them well enough and I'm afraid that the younger one is going to be a little shithead, and is far too bitey towards human hands.

In response to your question: Kill them all

In response to your anecdote: Same

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

boom boom boom posted:

That's not normal dude. you got lovely dogs

Hi i'm a professional dog trainer. like I make my living doing behavior modification on dogs. I work with aggressive and fearful dogs mostly. rotating dogs who don't get along is uh, a really actually very responsible thing to do while you're conditioning them to behave around each other. some dogs don't like other dogs. that's okay! it's fine for a dog to not like other dogs! just set it up to succeed by not having it be around the dogs it does not like. this seems really really self-explanatory, but then again here we are.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

owning even one is completely loving stupid and they're poo poo dogs if you're 1) forced to supervise them constantly

you are a bad dog owner of any breed of dog if you let your dog and a prey animal interact unsupervised EVER. just letting you know.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lol if you think keeping dog aggressive dogs away from each other while theyre unsupervised is some weird arcane pit bull owner thing. poo poo my dogs like each other but i keep them crated separately when i'm not home because i'm not a retard

i don't know how most of you go outside without passing out in terror the second anything larger than a chihuahua so much as looks at you

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
LION TAMER complex

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

ButWhatIf posted:

Hi i'm a professional dog trainer. like I make my living doing behavior modification on dogs. I work with aggressive and fearful dogs mostly. rotating dogs who don't get along is uh, a really actually very responsible thing to do while you're conditioning them to behave around each other. some dogs don't like other dogs. that's okay! it's fine for a dog to not like other dogs! just set it up to succeed by not having it be around the dogs it does not like. this seems really really self-explanatory, but then again here we are.

Got any advice for a smart and stubborn black lab/border collie mix? She learns really quick, but picks and chooses when to listen. Usually only listens when a treat is offered.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
pits are my fave breed to work with. they are incredibly soft to handle as a trainer and will sometimes get v sad if you make angry sounds at them. every loving breed of dog has things that suck about them. I own a corgi and she is a barkbarky highly active little monster if she doesn't get lots and lots of exercise every day. if the worst thing about a pit is that it does not like other dogs, lol at thinking that is grounds for wiping out the breed

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Guancho posted:

Got any advice for a smart and stubborn black lab/border collie mix? She learns really quick, but picks and chooses when to listen. Usually only listens when a treat is offered.

stop waving the treat in front of her face like an idiot and learn to train your dog

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Guancho posted:

You need to start rewarding on a really random schedule. Like make it so she can never predict when she's going to get a treat. Sometimes give her a treat that she doesn't know is there (ask her to do a Thing out of nowhere then give her like a small bit of bread that was just around for example). turn into a slot machine, not a soda machine.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ButWhatIf posted:

pits are my fave breed to work with. they are incredibly soft to handle as a trainer and will sometimes get v sad if you make angry sounds at them. every loving breed of dog has things that suck about them. I own a corgi and she is a barkbarky highly active little monster if she doesn't get lots and lots of exercise every day. if the worst thing about a pit is that it does not like other dogs, lol at thinking that is grounds for wiping out the breed

I feel like it's more "rash of murders" than "doesn't like other dogs."

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like it's more "rash of murders" than "doesn't like other dogs."

yes the statistics of pitbulls to deaths clearly points to all pitbulls murdering rather than there being varying levels of intensity like behaviors in other breeds

did u know! a lot of dogs originally bred for herding don't exhibit herding behaviors bc it has been slowly bred out of them! Did u know that when you are not actively selecting for traits, sometimes the offspring don't have those traits! WOW GENETICS HOLY poo poo MAYBE THIS APPLIES TO OTHER BREEDS AS WELL

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Triangulum posted:

stop waving the treat in front of her face like an idiot and learn to train your dog

that's not what I've been doing, but thanks I guess.

And thanks ButWhatIf

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Klyith posted:

Police don't use mountain lions because big cats are not domesticated animals you dolt. If you could put a dog's breeding for trainable nature into a leopard's body that poo poo would be scary.

No knock against dogs but there's a reason wolves are pack animals and big cats are generally solitary. Dogs got smarts and adaptability, cats are murder machines.

you seem to have missed the point, in that "you have a fighting chance" against a seriously pissed off 100 pound dog is internet toughguy fantasy

ps farrrrrrrrrt

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
to be more direct because you're pretty loving dumb YOU DON'T LOL

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

you are a bad dog owner of any breed of dog if you let your dog and a prey animal interact unsupervised EVER. just letting you know.

prey: other dogs, cats, people

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Triangulum posted:

lol if you think keeping dog aggressive dogs away from each other while theyre unsupervised is some weird arcane pit bull owner thing. poo poo my dogs like each other but i keep them crated separately when i'm not home because i'm not a retard

i don't know how most of you go outside without passing out in terror the second anything larger than a chihuahua so much as looks at you

No no no, you see, people aren't saying you should leave aggressive dogs unsupervised. Nobody said that. What most people have said is that you should in fact supervise your aggressive murder machine, to make sure it's really dead once the veterinarian injects the poisons into it.

EDIT: Pitt-bulls aren't immortal beings we have to deal whether we like it or not. If that were the case, sure whatever unlucky gently caress that's been saddled with the Pittgod can rotate it as much as it'll allow. We could kill all of them if we wanted to. And we should.

Modern Day Hercules fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 31, 2014

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
It is sad gibbis posts more about pets than pi. We should just burn that subforum to the ground.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

yes but that has no bearing on reality

i acknowledge your feelings. i hope that you can examine them and help them align with what is the actual case, which is Sometimes People Don't Understand Dogs, and then they get bitten.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pit bulls get all of the hate from idiots who think all pits are murder machines, then 99% of people who want a pit bull are inbred trash who believe that pits are murder machines and get one to raise as an aggressive monster. It's a cycle of stupid. The breed as it stands now is a volatile mess but that's because people are buying and breeding "tuff dawg" abortions. Before pits it was Dobermans/Rottweilers that were "all bad dogs", and before that it was German Shepherds. Basically, it goes like this: dog breed with potential for aggression in any capacity + idiots who breed them poorly, exaggerating those aggressive traits + idiots who mismanage an animal in their house that is as dangerous as a loaded gun = dead people.

List of dogs that can just as easily murder you as Pits that America doesn't seem to care about: Presa Canarios, GSDs, American Bulldogs, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs, basically anything that's angry and bigger than a Spaniel.

Again, I'm not saying all pits are perfect angels that can do no wrong and wouldn't harm a fly. What I am saying is that they are a dangerous breed, but you could euth every single one in America in a single instant and not solve the problem because it's just one of many dangerous breeds that need special handling. Trashy shitheads will find the next "toughest" fad breed to ruin.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

Pit bulls get all of the hate from idiots who think all pits are murder machines, then 99% of people who want a pit bull are inbred trash who believe that pits are murder machines and get one to raise as an aggressive monster. It's a cycle of stupid. The breed as it stands now is a volatile mess but that's because people are buying and breeding "tuff dawg" abortions. Before pits it was Dobermans/Rottweilers that were "all bad dogs", and before that it was German Shepherds. Basically, it goes like this: dog breed with potential for aggression in any capacity + idiots who breed them poorly, exaggerating those aggressive traits + idiots who mismanage an animal in their house that is as dangerous as a loaded gun = dead people.

List of dogs that can just as easily murder you as Pits that America doesn't seem to care about : Presa Canarios, GSDs, American Bulldogs, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs, basically anything that's angry and bigger than a Spaniel.

Again, I'm not saying all pits are perfect angels that can do no wrong and wouldn't harm a fly. What I am saying is that they are a dangerous breed, but you could euth every single one in America in a single instant and not solve the problem because it's just one of many dangerous breeds that need special handling. Trashy shitheads will find the next "toughest" fad breed to ruin.

We could then euth every single one of the next breed and eventually the problem will end.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

prey: other dogs, cats, people

to a dog bred with a strong prey drive [see also: terriers, sighthounds, scenthounds], it can be Anything That Moves Fast Away From Me. do you know why greyhounds race? it's to chase a small furry object that they just want to grab with their teeth and shake until dead. As a result, a lot of greyhounds can't live with cats. I've worked with many small breed dogs that see kids on bikes as prey because OMG MOVING FAST GOTTA GETTIT. welcome to dogs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Modern Day Hercules posted:

We could then euth every single one of the next breed and eventually the problem will end.

oh okay. euth all dogs! ALL DOGS DO AT LEAST ONE THING A HUMAN DOES NOT LIKE! NUKE THEM ALL FROM ORBIT

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

With the way assholes love their neurotic bite monsters, we'd quickly be reduced to guard Chihuahuas.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Thread in summary: assholes will make any dog a bad dog, euth all dogs.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

oh okay. euth all dogs! ALL DOGS DO AT LEAST ONE THING A HUMAN DOES NOT LIKE! NUKE THEM ALL FROM ORBIT

What would be lost except for your job, really.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

the history of human agriculture and livestock tending (hey did you know a lot of non-first world places still use dogs as farming and ranching equipment? wow you're a dick you want them to die too), a lot of olds would die sooner from heart problems, idk, sad fat women would try to date more since they can't sublimate that feeling of unconditional love onto a fat pug

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Surplus babies, for one.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Fat pugs are the best worst dog breed though :ohdear:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

dirtycajun posted:

Thread in summary: assholes will make any dog a bad dog, euth all dogs.

on the one hand, i never like to go "ITS ALL HOW U RAISE EM" but yeah, learn poo poo about the dog you are planning on having. it's not that hard, you read a carfax when you get a car, you figure out what a breed was meant to do and you adjust your life accordingly or you're a poo poo owner. sorry 4 the inconvenience i guess dogs aren't 4 u if u can't do that

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

the history of human agriculture and livestock tending (hey did you know a lot of non-first world places still use dogs as farming and ranching equipment? wow you're a dick you want them to die too), a lot of olds would die sooner from heart problems, idk, sad fat women would try to date more since they can't sublimate that feeling of unconditional love onto a fat pug

thanks for the list of poo poo I couldn't give less of a gently caress about dogman

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

So am I the only one bothered by the fact that Super admitted he hosed up and his pits killed a puppy at some point, warns another poster to be careful because the pits could randomly attack a lab they live with, and then posts pics of a chick on the head of a pit and of his Boston terrier humping one of them? They could kill that terrier before you even know what's happening, same with the chick. Seems pretty grossly negligent.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Scenty posted:

So am I the only one bothered by the fact that Super admitted he hosed up and his pits killed a puppy at some point, warns another poster to be careful because the pits could randomly attack a lab they live with, and then posts pics of a chick on the head of a pit and of his Boston terrier humping one of them? They could kill that terrier before you even know what's happening, same with the chick. Seems pretty grossly negligent.

hey gently caress u

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Scenty posted:

The terrier in question is infinitely scarier than the pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

what if im a muslim

• Locked thread