Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think Crane was the one who said, "Stop laughing at me" or whatever the little frog said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, his reaction on seeing Lily's corpse seemed genuine. Anyway, I share that theory about ribbons mostly because the thing's been done in a single stroke - and say what you will about axes, precise they aren't. Then again, I seem to recall a picture of a vorpal sword in the book of magical items and that would definitely do the trick, snickety snack and all. Anything else would probably make a mess on the crime scene so we're definitely talking magic here, the question is what kind.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
People were beheaded by axes for centuries because they ARE precise at this sort of thing. Whether or not you believe the woodsman's axe would be capable of such a precise cut depends on whether you think it being a possibly magic fable axe has something to do with it, whether or not you think him being a possibly magic fable axe wielder has something to do with it, and whether or not you think the writers bothered to investigate the physics of different shapes of axe blade.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Woodsman's axe didn't seem wide enough to have severed a head in one stroke.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Atomikus posted:

Woodsman's axe didn't seem wide enough to have severed a head in one stroke.

It's a magic axe.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I like the idea that the Vorpal Sword has been brought up a couple times in the background without anybody pointing it out. It would be nice foreshadowing, an even nicer red herring. It's a great touch no matter which way it swings.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

death .cab for qt posted:

I like the idea that the Vorpal Sword has been brought up a couple times in the background without anybody pointing it out. It would be nice foreshadowing, an even nicer red herring. It's a great touch no matter which way it swings.

Snicker-snack!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Especially since Vorpal blades have a history of beheading.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I don't believe that Crane committed the murders. He ran because he's scared that his secret is out. But he also does have a history of being around when peoples' heads get lopped off. We haven't been on the best terms with Holly. Maybe after the funeral incident it's getting better but I think we can be more productive. As for the Tweedles, well they seem neck deep in this whole situation. They have info and I want it. I say let's go visit the Tweedles. Also, were the Tweedles covering for Crane at the funeral? I was under the impression that they wanted Bigby to stop looking for Crane so that they could grab him for...something. I don't think they're working for him though.

On the other hand I'm tempted to let Bluebeard go "talk" to the Tweedles. If he goes in there with his bad cop routine he'll either kick the crap out of them or get taken down a peg himself. I think I'm ok with either outcome.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Doobie Keebler posted:

I don't believe that Crane committed the murders. He ran because he's scared that his secret is out. But he also does have a history of being around when peoples' heads get lopped off.

No, he has a history of being chased by the headless. Although that may be more of a semantic difference.

That aside, I do agree with you, but in a different logic. I would believe he had a hand on Lily's murder, but not on Faith. The Photo shows that Crane was only with Lily, and Crane(as Mr.Smith) only booked with Lily, and no one else. He couldn't have been near Faith during her death.

Also, considering the M.O. of the murders were pretty similar, I believe it is done by the same person.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

New BoF!

ALSO: current state of the vote (counting YouTube votes)

Tweedles' Office: 5

Holly's Bar: 6

Crane's Apartment: 3

It's anybody's game - voting will be open until I record, probably tomorrow.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 28, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Changing my vote from Crane to Tweedles Office

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My cat votes for Tweedles!

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Might want to keep an eye on Vivian and Nerissa. Both other victims had that ribbon on their neck and I suspect that's related. Especially after looking up that short story about the woman with a ribbon on her neck.

Also, Tweedles.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
I'll trow my hat in with the tweedles being our best lead

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
So many people falling into Bluebeard's trap... my vote stays with Holly's bar, as that's the place he's trying to direct us away from.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I think if we don't trust Bluebeard we should take a look at Crane's apartment first, actually. That's where he wants to go so we shouldn't let him. I'm not so sure Bluebeard is directly behind whatever is going on, but he's shady and corrupt. He's definitely guilty of something, and if there's any evidence that implicates him it's going to be at the apartment, not with the Tweedles or Holly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm...really not so keen on Bluebeard being our target. I mean, what did he do, act suspicious? So does every other fable. He threatened Tweedle with a knife, which is something I see Bigby capable of too - and he was stopped by Crane, who we know is involved. His only crime as far as I can remember is being unpleasant.
I'm pretty sure he wants to seize power in Fabletown but that's something we have no control over (if anything, Snow does) and if anything, the killer might be trying to implicate him given the MO.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I don't think he is the murderer, but he certainly have some sort of agenda.

Touraxus
Sep 4, 2011

Lord of the dance, and bananas.
My vote is for holly's.
Her sister's crap might have some info leading to who worked with her more often.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Chapter spoilers, about the choices. Light spoilers but still. I really hope you show Crane's apartment in one of the playthroughs as I picked Holly when I played through

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The way I feel about Bluebeard is that he's not only powerful and influential, he's not sloppy about what he does. He's a careful sort of man, the kind that would not let a murder like this be exposed and would never hire thugs that draw attention to themselves. That's just me though.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So instead of being a TWAU night, it was a Gunpoint night last night.

TWAU comin' up tonight!

So we've got three sessions, and three options - I'm thinking probably I'll pick each option with one of 'em.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I do not envy Bigby with what he has to pick through. I kind of appreciate the bullshit Nice Bigby shows up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Woop woop new update!

So I really wouldn't count Bluebeard off the suspects list - the dude is 1) rich, 2) power-hungry, and 3) apparently VERY opportunistic. He's rolling with this whole situation a litttttle too easily.

Edit: Yeah, Flycatcher is pretty golden. Incidentally, when he goes "got to keep busy, or..." he's referring to his wife and kids back in the Homelands. It's best not to think about them.

In fact, in the books, he has this little thing going where he always tries to get put on janitorial duty as a "punishment" for one thing or another, because if authority is making him stay in Fabletown then that's fine, but if he was ever released from his punishment, he'd have to go on an epic, doomed quest to rescue his true love.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Flycatcher is awesome. Him, Bigby, and Snow are my favorite characters.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, the chapter title is taken from a nursery rhyme that is one of my favorites. It's got everything about a good Fairy Tale: a weird socio-political origin, a nice compact rhyme, and fairly unrelenting brutality. I heard it as a kid and it stuck with me all these years:

quote:

Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stairs.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If I could make a suggestion, could you take the kick-down-the-door option for the next video. To me, this entire episode seemed like a build up to Bigby going to straight-up :bustem:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can imagine Gren won't remember this is even more hilarious if you've played other Telltale games, but it's still the best joke in the game, even for a first-timer.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

If I could make a suggestion, could you take the kick-down-the-door option for the next video. To me, this entire episode seemed like a build up to Bigby going to straight-up :bustem:

No. Sorry. (You'll see.) Jerkby will!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Such a tease! It's pretty cool that we managed to pick the most... cinematic options for the good run through, it's the one I like the most. The others are super entertaining, but I always choose the Good Guy options in games that give me the choice and it's nice that it works out so well here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The standard new episode idea clusterfuck:

-So it was the photo. I think that pretty much seals the deal, they tried to blackmail Crane - but Crane seems to owe the Crooked Man - I imagine that's enough to make him snap; as much as I hate to admit it, welcome back to the murder suspect list, Ike. I mean, I'm assuming he's being blackmailed by the Crooked Man in order to embezzle from Fabletown (seen in the Tweedles' file on his debts to TCM) and then he probably got blackmailed by Faith and then... Goddamnit, this is a mess. I can imagine the Crooked Man wanting to keep Crane in a position profitable to him so I guess there's some kind of motive but the whole thing seems really contrived.
I mean, this is all based on me not being able to come up with any other use for the photos.

-I think we've seen Cinderella's shoe store? She's probably not important, although I do wonder why they have a dossier on her since all the other ones are related to the events of this game. Maybe something to file (uh...) for later.

-Is that supposed to be Bigby on the punching bag?

-Flycatcher seems to be the one member of royalty who has no problems with money. Relevant?

-Who's B.C.W.? Bigby's long-estranged brother, Big Cad Wolf?

-I like the idea that what we're investigating is some sort of a shadow government, with Tweedles as enforcers, Aunty Greenleaf as alternate glamor provider, Georgie as a labor provider of sorts and assumingly the mysterious Crooked Man on top of it all. Here's the kicker though: where does Crane fit in? If what I wrote above works he's probably funneling money between Fabletown and the Crooked Man but then the whole shadow government have no reason to want to dispose of him by exposing the whole mess. Unless there was a massive fuckup.

-Woody and Gren are (probably) officially out of running, they seem too stupid to be involved and too unruly for dependable henchmen.

-The prostitutes were definitely on it together. We should probably keep an eye on Nerissa whenever possible, she's really likely to be next. Or the killer. Either way she's neck-deep in this.

-I still don't buy Bluebeard.

e: And I apparently spend way too much time overthinking videogames.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm feeling generous, and I noticed I didn't give any big ideas out after the last chapter, so let's tackle this in a suitably mysterious way, eh?

anilEhilated posted:

-So it was the photo. I think that pretty much seals the deal, they tried to blackmail Crane - but Crane seems to owe the Crooked Man - I imagine that's enough to make him snap; as much as I hate to admit it, welcome back to the murder suspect list, Ike. I mean, I'm assuming he's being blackmailed by the Crooked Man in order to embezzle from Fabletown (seen in the Tweedles' file on his debts to TCM) and then he probably got blackmailed by Faith and then... Goddamnit, this is a mess. I can imagine the Crooked Man wanting to keep Crane in a position profitable to him so I guess there's some kind of motive but the whole thing seems really contrived.
I mean, this is all based on me not being able to come up with any other use for the photos.

Yeah, it's... odd that it's CRANE'S photo, isn't it? Note that they'd already checked Faith's place, Lawerence's place, and the Woodsman's, i.e. everywhere that we found them. Notice that Lily is listed as a separate item from "The Hens At The Pudding & Pie". Weird!

anilEhilated posted:

-I think we've seen Cinderella's shoe store? She's probably not important, although I do wonder why they have a dossier on her since all the other ones are related to the events of this game. Maybe something to file (uh...) for later.

This looks kind of weird, right? With Crane probably being the official censorer, you tend to wonder what's up?

anilEhilated posted:

-Is that supposed to be Bigby on the punching bag?

Yes. Or Beast, but Bigby makes much more sense.

anilEhilated posted:

-Flycatcher seems to be the one member of royalty who has no problems with money. Relevant?

Well, he's the only one who's got it together enough to actually hold down a steady, non-criminal job. Actually, notice the cool little problem with Fabletown in miniature displayed by Flycatcher. He liked working the Woodlands, but when the stupid corrupt lazy Fabletown government kicked him out, he had no choice but to turn to the alternate power structure we see building.

anilEhilated posted:

-Who's B.C.W.? Bigby's long-estranged brother, Big Cad Wolf?

How about... Boy who Cried Wolf??? Just a suggestion

anilEhilated posted:

-I like the idea that what we're investigating is some sort of a shadow government, with Tweedles as enforcers, Aunty Greenleaf as alternate glamor provider, Georgie as a labor provider of sorts and assumingly the mysterious Crooked Man on top of it all. Here's the kicker though: where does Crane fit in? If what I wrote above works he's probably funneling money between Fabletown and the Crooked Man but then the whole shadow government have no reason to want to dispose of him by exposing the whole mess. Unless there was a massive fuckup.

We don't actually know that they want to dispose of Crane, do we? We don't have any indication that ANYBODY is interested in him besides the Tweedles (and us), and the Tweedles are independent contractors - it still fits that Crane might have tried to use them to buy time. Of course, that doesn't explain why they wrecked the funeral...

anilEhilated posted:

-Woody and Gren are (probably) officially out of running, they seem too stupid to be involved and too unruly for dependable henchmen.

It's safe to say that if they're the murderers, the game had better give us some more evidence. They don't really seem connected or powerful enough to be string-pullers, though I guess we DO know now that Woody is comfortable keeping secrets, even from his friends.

anilEhilated posted:

-The prostitutes were definitely on it together. We should probably keep an eye on Nerissa whenever possible, she's really likely to be next. Or the killer. Either way she's neck-deep in this.

We don't really know much except that Lily and Nerissa were friends. Although Vivian didn't seem to chuffed about Georgie, either.

anilEhilated posted:

-I still don't buy Bluebeard.

He's not for sale.

anilEhilated posted:

e: And I apparently spend way too much time overthinking videogames.

Please continue to do so!

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

I have the solution. The Butler did it!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No-commentary version up - still actually deciding on a BoF topic.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

E:NM

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I thought we were only going to get to go to one of the three places. Glad it was really two of the three, and that only one gets left out from lack of time.

Incidentally, while I watched the video, I took the time to transcribe Lily's address book, in case anything besides Aunty Greenleaf's address becomes relevant later. I seriously doubt any of these addresses will play a role in the rest of the game, but if I were the game devs, I would have slipped an in-joke or two in here. So in case there's any such thing tucked away in the addresses:

Lily's address book, first page:

PO - 999 Rita St
EG - Red House, Elizabeth St
RF - 7598 34th Ave. (a school)
AD - 6500 74th St, Manhattan
GY - 904 Northern Blvd
IR - 8484 Rizzo Ln, Back Alley
FD - 37th St, Front Lot
AH - 8023 Geneva St
BC - Corner of Sunken Meadow Loop
RI - 6798 Concourse Plaza
GM - 8909 Center Ave, Brooklyn
TH - Red House, Elizabeth St

Next page:

KS - 233 Nod Ave
AG - 1284 White Plains Ave, Brookhaven
PA - 14 Dahlia Ln, Brooklyn
ID - 800 Charm St
?? - ...nds
ZQ - Big Red House, end of Block
PW - 348 Winterhaven
LD - 70 Mary Ann ...
AF - North ...
MG - ...

The ?? or ... parts were off-screen in the shot and weren't readable.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, the one after "ID" is "TB - Woodlands".

D...does The Beast have some explaining to do?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Jesus christ Bigby. That was a dick move. The guy's a janitor and you just drop and smear a cigarette right in front of him? There's not much more "gently caress you and gently caress your job" you can get without being outright vocal or physical.

Was I the only one who, when seeing Brannigan's name on the file, immediately thought of this or similar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXb9L8LW4XI

For the Tweedles... you know, I can't help but feel that Flycatcher has a point. I mean, yeah they've been pretty terrible so far. They DID threaten Toad and his kid and shoot Gren and Holly after goading them, I can't just say "they've been terrible because right now they're being ordered to deal with us they might be better when it's not work related". And yet... and yet and yet and yet. Who is Bigby helping right now? Two people who are already dead. While the Tweedles might charge you for it, I can't help but think I'd rather be helped while I'm still alive than posthumously. And while Flycatcher most certainly has a very idealized vision of them, I do believe that Bigby goes a bit too far with the "They're not helping anyone" line, cause as Flycatcher responded, they've at least helped him... after the Fable government failed to. The Tweedles seem like overall bad dudes, but people have to make do with what they've got, and if the "proper" channels don't work, then I can definitely see Dee and Dum being appreciated as at least being able to get problems solved when the government won't.

The item in the box looks sorta like a Faberge Egg. Though I think I see some sort of parts of it that might turn, like maybe as an unlocking device like Lily's charm thing that had the picture inside? Though just a Faberge Egg would certainly be worth having in a collection, they're fantastically valuable aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think at least a part of it is that Tweedles really are an equivalent of Bigby - I'd imagine that say, the folks at Trip Trap view him in much the same way as we do them: someone who shows up, threatens people and isn't above causing injury to pursue whatever task his thoroughly corrupt overlords set him to. And he's got access to the Witching Well which has at least some fables metaphorically making GBS threads their pants.

• Locked thread