Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

I’m a Warrior, he’s a Mage, we fight Demon: Let’s Play Demon’s Souls

It's been long enough since I've played Demon's Souls that this was almost nostalgic stuff... I enjoyed it. I agree with (most of) what you already posted about areas to improve, but this video is a good start even just the way it is.

Are you going to be exploring special World Tendency content? Or invading other players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Johnny Law posted:

It's been long enough since I've played Demon's Souls that this was almost nostalgic stuff... I enjoyed it. I agree with (most of) what you already posted about areas to improve, but this video is a good start even just the way it is.

Are you going to be exploring special World Tendency content? Or invading other players?

I will be doing EVERYTHING so yes showing off Tendency Events, unfortunately I won't be able to invade with this character, but maybe for a bonus I could fumble around with a different character. My real hope is we get invaded while recording, hahaha.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Sounds good. :)

BTW make sure to take a moment to look around every now and then; show off those uniquely grand DS environments.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Krakentime posted:

The Legend of Dragoon

Same day reg, post combination with a VLP hosted on YouTube for an extremely lengthy JRPG. This isn't going to work...

I will give you kudos for not making a new thread and posting it in the Sandcastle.

VLP's of extremely lengthy and dialogue heavy JRPGs are not fun to follow. First off, this game is in the 50+ hrs of game length, are you going to have 50+ hrs of commentary? Or will it consist of reading text boxes, navigating menus and many dead air spaces?

Check out some of the SSLPs in the sub-forum, see why they work and why they're followed and how they'd be better suited for your game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Krakentime posted:

Part 1 - I am aware of the issue with the terrible black border problem on this video and am currently uploading a fixed version.

Wow. So you don't even have the patience to wait for a video upload to finish before making your test post. Is this what the entire LP will consist of? "I am aware of the issue of having forgotten to add commentary to this video and am currently slacking off. If I can be bothered to upload a new version in three months, maybe I'll edit this post with the updated link, but probably not."

I don't even need to watch your video to tell you this is bad.

Krakentime
Dec 31, 2012

I'm so cool.

SLDrisk posted:

VLP's of extremely lengthy and dialogue heavy JRPGs are not fun to follow. First off, this game is in the 50+ hrs of game length, are you going to have 50+ hrs of commentary? Or will it consist of reading text boxes, navigating menus and many dead air spaces?

Okay, yeah, I can see how that would get boring fast. Thanks for the advice, I will try checking out some SSLPs before trying to pursue an LP for this particular game. Sorry for the bad post :P

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Krakentime posted:

Okay, yeah, I can see how that would get boring fast. Thanks for the advice, I will try checking out some SSLPs before trying to pursue an LP for this particular game. Sorry for the bad post :P

Here's a good SSLP you should check out. http://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Dragoon/

Seriously, we just had one completed that's top on the list of recently archived LPs. You may really like Legend of Dragoon, but unfortunately you're a bit late, unless you feel like and can prove you can do something that this LP didn't.

Krakentime
Dec 31, 2012

I'm so cool.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Seriously, we just had one completed that's top on the list of recently archived LPs. You may really like Legend of Dragoon, but unfortunately you're a bit late, unless you feel like and can prove you can do something that this LP didn't.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the link, I'll be checking that out right now.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Krakentime posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the link, I'll be checking that out right now.

Yeah, I just want to remind you that just because someone else did an LP of your game, doesn't mean you can't. It just means you need to offer something different.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Zain posted:

Hey Kids! Drugs are fun! Let's Play the Galerian series

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Thing is there was already a screenshot LP done of this game, I'm thinking by Dark Id but I can't remember. Myself, I would much rather a video LP than another screenshot one, as I usually get bored with the effort to read through them and stop bothering after a few updates (unless they're completed and in the archive).

There were two attempts at SSLPs in mid-2008, both abandoned, both lost with Waffleimages. I haven't played the game, but if it's similar to other PS1 RE-alikes of its time-- lots of samey corridors and identical enemies, with the occasional bizarre cutscene-- I think it would work better as a screenshot or hybrid LP. The video was fine, but didn't really grab my attention; I don't believe I'd keep watching past the first couple of updates. What will you talk about when you've finished explaining the mechanics?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

I'll play devil's advocate for a bit and tell you that if you do want to do a VLP of this game, you better know it inside and out, liberally edit to cut down on tedium as this game has a lot of it at points, and I insist that you do post-commentary in order to be more organized and coherent.

That said, SSLP is in my opinion, the superior format for this game, but that doesn't mean that it's the only good way to LP it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Test OP post - http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9765

It includes the first real update, as well as a sort-of first update for the opening song.

Any suggestions would be great, since this is my first LP. (As well as my guests)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

yokaiy posted:

Test OP post - http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9765

It includes the first real update, as well as a sort-of first update for the opening song.

Any suggestions would be great, since this is my first LP. (As well as my guests)

Could you use underlining for Zosephine's lines instead of italics? From reading Alkydere's Advanced Wars DS LP, I think it looks better.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

It's pretty good but the biggest problem I have is with your use of emoticons. Using them for minor characters is a good idea and all, but sometimes there will be two characters on screen, neither particularly in focus, and then two emoticons will start talking and I'll have to double check who is who. I guess just frame screenshots better or write introductions/reactions that identify them.

I also have no idea how co-commentators work in a SSLP.

Edit: I just realized you bolded/italicized them. Definitely make that clearer.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 1, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

djw175 posted:

Could you use underlining for Zosephine's lines instead of italics? From reading Alkydere's Advanced Wars DS LP, I think it looks better.

ThatPazuzu posted:

It's pretty good but the biggest problem I have is with your use of emoticons. Using them for minor characters is a good idea and all, but sometimes there will be two characters on screen, neither particularly in focus, and then two emoticons will start talking and I'll have to double check who is who. I guess just frame screenshots better or write introductions/reactions that identify them.

I also have no idea how co-commentators work in a SSLP.

Edit: I just realized you bolded/italicized them. Definitely make that clearer.

Okey dokey. Fixed the italics thing.

Regarding NPCs, I'll definitely try framing them better in future updates. I think I've got some other screens with the NPCs that I ended up not putting in the posts, but do you think it would be too image-heavy if I included them? If it would be, I'll write in some better introductions for them so it's not as confusing.

e: Except then I broke the links on the OP. Fixed now though!

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 1, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A quick headshot will do for most unimportant people (and in the game)

Or do some generic portraits for random NPC's, Dark Id style.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

yokaiy posted:

Okey dokey. Fixed the italics thing.

Regarding NPCs, I'll definitely try framing them better in future updates. I think I've got some other screens with the NPCs that I ended up not putting in the posts, but do you think it would be too image-heavy if I included them?

Like Xander said, a quick headshot will work. I usually make a few 25-25 px faces for dialog, and that's worked pretty well. They should be well under 1 kb, which is trivial as far as making things image-heavy goes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm not exactly sure why, but it seems that with the forum UI change that it caused something wonky to happen with the OP to my LP's. Was wondering if anyone might know why it might be doing this:

Pretty much the image on the left is what it looks like now and the image on the right is what it's supposed to look like (and what it looked like before the forums change). I haven't changed anything with the formatting myself, and it doesn't ruin the OP. It's just I had it looking relatively nice before and now it's got these noticeable spaces in between.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's because of this magical addition to the CSS:

CSS code:
#thread td.postbody img {
	/** Middle align images in post bodies; may gently caress poo poo up, I dunno **/
	/** vertical-align: middle; **/
}
It hosed up my fancy OP, too.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Yep, I have the same problem with one of mine.

Since the redesign, images get an extra couple of pixels between them and it looks horrible.

I have already posted this issue in the redesign thread, maybe it gets addressed.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I hope you have better luck with this than the previous guy.

Anyway, you should use jpg images, not png for this.

Please put a blank line between your images and text everything.

quote:

: "Hey! I was here first!"
Immediately, Joe rushes out the door, Lulu hot on his trail.
: "Hold on! Wait for me!"
Hugo turns to join them, but is stopped by Lucia.

This is a bit annoying to read and the lines flow together.

quote:

: "Hey! I was here first!"

Immediately, Joe rushes out the door, Lulu hot on his trail.

: "Hold on! Wait for me!"

Hugo turns to join them, but is stopped by Lucia.

This is better.

The portraits are pretty big. I wouldn't recommend anything above 50x50. They just need to be recognisable - we already know how the characters look so we don't need to be able to make out every detail on the talking heads.

It's still perfectly possible to tell who this is.

Finally, your resolution is a bit weird. Standard size would be 640x480 - why those four extra pixels in each direction?

Edit: And you should capture the shots from the opening at the same width as the rest of your images. It just looks weird to have some of them wider than the rest. :spergin:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 1, 2013

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Here's an OP for my planned Fall From Heaven II SSLP, I'll be conjuring up a test update later on but if you have any comments, please speak your mind.

Anything crucial I lack? One thing I'd like to know is how to insert links into the pictures themselves. I don't know if I'll be using it ever again but for the opening "cinematic" in the end of the post it would be nice. It'd stand out better and give more eye candy for the otherwise a bit pale OP. Thank you.

----------------------------------

Welcome to a Lets' Play of Fall from Heaven II!

What is Fall from Heaven II?

I'll let the lead designer Derek "Kael" Paxton explain:

Kael posted:

Fall from Heaven II is a dark fantasy mod for Civilization IV. The Age of Ice has ended, what is left of the once great empires of man have formed into small tribes, ready to rebuild and retake that which was lost. But the world is not empty. Hordes of barbarians await these new civilizations. Wild animals stalk hapless scouts and reckless emissaries. Giant spiders lie in patient wait in the jungles and the forests waiting for their prey to take that last, fatal, step.

There is great evil, but also selfless good. There are those who strive to remain neutral in the coming conflict as opposed ideologies break the world asunder once again. The first goal, is survival. The second goal is power, for good or ill. Will you pursue power through strength of arms or arcane studies, through piety or blasphemy? Choose carefully. On each path you will allies, and bitter foes, and the deeper you delve into the secrets of combat, or sorcery, or the divine, the harder it will be to turn back.

In short, drastic overhauls are applied to practically everything, including (but not limited to) the civilizations themselves, the religion and civics systems, units, terrain, custom game options, a freaking in-game card game and the entire Civilopedia.

So we're talking about Civilization IV in a fantasy world?

Yes and no. Erebus, the world of Fall from Heaven, is based on Kael's old D&D campaign and as such Erebus itself as well as majority of it's characters and history have existed before Civilization IV. There has been a lot of writing from multiple people specifically for Fall from Heaven II, though. A part of the charm of the world is that while there are hardly any lacking details about the stories we see in the game, there's this ever-present feeling that all we have is just tiny part of the story. Kael has released some tales outside the scope of the mod but many, many things are still unknown and likely will stay left up to your imagination. It's a completely different game from Civ IV, to be honest.

Why another LP when one has been done already and one is currently ongoing and both of those are excellent?

This LP will be centered around the official scenarios that come with the mod, while the other Let's Players play custom randomly generated games. There are quite a lot of scenarios, enough to rather talk about a campaign, really. And they're rich with lore. In fact, that's what my focus will be on. A bare minimum amount of space will be used in explaining the game mechanics. For people interested in that side of the game, I'll heartily recommend Octag's Let's Play. Be warned, though, that if you care about spoilers, that thread has no spoiler rules and plot twists and turns are being discussed openly and without warning.

I will be offering both the official scenario playthroughs as well as other pieces of lore that I feel are relevant to the scenarios in question. However, despite some of the lore being "official", the nature of the mod is quite open. It's based on a self-made D&D world, after all. While I'm going to only provide the "canon" lore in this thread, don't feel restricted to it in the game. Let your imagination go wild! Actually, I think it's time for

:siren:A Spoiler Rule:siren:

• No spoilers about what happens in the scenarios or about the past or the future of the people in them. I understand this covers a really wide portion of the game but I'm not going to make up more complex rules. I'll be making lore posts about certain matters. Comment after those.
  • Use spoiler tags if you're not sure.
  • Go hog wild with the game mechanics chat but be careful when talking about leaders or heroes.

I'll be using an older 0.41d version of the mod for this LP, for the purpose of ensuring that the scenarios run as intended. There has been an AI upgrade patch among the later versions that some people have reported causing troubles sometimes. The latest and final version is 0.41o.

Fall from Heaven Intro Slideshow

Useful links

Kael's Introduction to FFH2, including download links
Fall from Heaven Wiki
FFH forums at civfanatics.com
An incredible 229-page manual

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 2, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Valiantman posted:

Anything crucial I lack?

quote:

Here's an OP for my planned Fall From Heaven II SSLP, I'll be conjuring up a test update later on but if you have any comments, please speak your mind.

quote:

One thing I'd like to know is how to insert links into the pictures themselves. I don't know if I'll be using it ever again but for the opening "cinematic" in the end of the post it would be nice. It'd stand out better and give more eye candy for the otherwise a bit pale OP.

You can make images link to something as follows
code:
[url=www.google.ca][img]http://lpix.org/1012345/lulu.png[/img][/url]
It will take the image between the [img] tags, and link it to the address specified in the [url=] tag like so:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

I hope you have better luck with this than the previous guy.

Anyway, you should use jpg images, not png for this.

Please put a blank line between your images and text everything.

This is a bit annoying to read and the lines flow together.

This is better.

The portraits are pretty big. I wouldn't recommend anything above 50x50. They just need to be recognisable - we already know how the characters look so we don't need to be able to make out every detail on the talking heads.

It's still perfectly possible to tell who this is.

Finally, your resolution is a bit weird. Standard size would be 640x480 - why those four extra pixels in each direction?

Edit: And you should capture the shots from the opening at the same width as the rest of your images. It just looks weird to have some of them wider than the rest. :spergin:

Thank you very much, Vilk! I've been following your Tactics LP and followed your 4 LP, by the way. You are a pretty great LPer. I was actually using your LP as a model to go off of. :blush:

Fixed the size issues, as well as re-saving everything out as a jpeg. While I was at it, decided to add some screens to better show where some of the NPCs were, a la Pazuzu's suggestion.

I'm going to stick with emotes for this update, since there are so few NPCs in Karaya. I'll start making headshots of the generics after this, though.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

unpronounceable posted:

You can make images link to something as follows
code:
[url=www.google.ca][timg]http://lpix.org/1012345/lulu.png[/timg][/url]
It will take the image between the [timg] tags, and link it to the address specified in the [url=] tag like so:
[img]http://lpix.org/1012345/lulu.png[/timg]

Thanks!

edit: that turned out nicely when quoted :D

wwweh
Apr 3, 2012
Here's the planned finalish OP of my Metal Slug Retrospective/Let's play series. Is it acceptable? Is the content ok?

-----------------------------------------------------

My other car is a submarine: Let's play a Metal Slug Retrospective!

Hello and welcome to a look back on the Metal Slug Series of games! This series is quite dear to my heart, I used to spend many many summer days playing and replaying the games, attempting to "perfect" stages, doodling the logos. Time well wasted I say! And as I grow older I kind of wanted to revisit some of the games and investigate some of the origins of the series in question and I invite you to come along for the ride.

About the series
Metal Slug is a 2d run and gun originally developed by the Nazca Corporation in 1996. It's known for it's difficulty, distinctive art style and humor. It requires quick reflexes, a good eye and a pocket full of quarters! The game evolved through out its iterations adding new gameplay mechanics, new types of "Slugs", branching level paths and other additions. Many believe the series reached it's apex with Metal Slug 3.

List of games
In the Hunt DONE
GunForce 2
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 3D
Metal Slug 6
Metal Slug 7

We may even delve into the some of the more obscure spinoffs like the Neo-Geo Pocket releases.

In the hunt (1993)
Part 1/3 (LP pt.1) [Youtube] <---dis b old, you might have watched it already
Part 2/3 (LP pt.2) [Youtube]
Part 3/3 (LP pt.3) [Youtube]

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Well, it's been a little too long since I mentioned I was planning to LP Graces in the Vesperia thread.

Test Update 1

I still need to write an OP but the update seems ok, although I'm probably forgetting something hugely important.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You accidentally use Cheria's normal portrait at one point, instead of her kid portrait. Also, I get the feeling it's something you can't change, but Sophie's headshot is distractingly larger then the rest.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I get the feeling it's something you can't change, but Sophie's headshot is distractingly larger then the rest.

IIRC I had to "zoom in" more on her portrait than the others because it would either end up being too small or look wrong. I could redo it, but I'm not sure how I'd crop it.

Does it still have a problem next to the adult portraits?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's better than the child portraits, but it's still noticeably larger.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012
Fun fact: As I was about to post my new test post, I saw the conversation about wdarkk's portraits and realized mine had the same problem so I went back and redid them. Thanks for the unintentional catch! And the reason why your portraits look large wdarkk is because in your test post, you could see up to the top of the character's hair in each portrait. Sophie's portrait cuts off right at the top of her forehead, and since you've made the picture sizes the same, her portrait looks more "zoomed in" than the others. If you crop the picture so that you can see the top of her head, then it should look in line with the rest of the pictures in your test post. PS - I loved your Tales of Symphonia LPs in the archives. Amazing job!

Anyway, as for my test post, thanks for the feedback sentrygun and Rising-Grandpa! I changed some stuff as per your suggestions and added new stuff as well, and I'll include a change list below so you don't have to trawl through the posts again if you saw them. As for your concerns Rising-Grandpa, I thought of this problem in advance and have been typing/researching this stuff for a month or so now, and I have a typed up backlog and recorded videos/finished runs of everything up to the Extra stage of Mountain of Faith. All I need to do is grab the pictures and format them properly, and they're good to go aside from the commentary for the videos, which shouldn't take more than a few spare hours to do. Hopefully I can keep this going in a somewhat orderly fashion. If this next try clears, then I'll just wait until I have my stage 3 video ready to go, and I'll post the thread.

The big changes list for my second check is:
-Expanded the rules as per sentrygun's and Rising-Grandpa's suggestions
-Expanded the streaming section to explain a bit more stuff and examples are given
-Added a glossary of stuff I could think of
-Added an "offical artbook" section at the end of each post
-Fixed and uploaded the shot types video
-Spruced up the posts a bit with some picture headers
-Added emotion portraits for the characters
-Added more line breaks to give stuff room
-Fixed formatting

Anyway, and again:

--------------

I swear this game is totally doable! Let’s Play Touhou 10-13!

Touhou?
The Touhou project is probably one of the more (in)famous things to spawn out of Japan, which is fairly impressive given how much stuff Japan seems to inundate the rest of the world in. The project itself is primarily composed of fairly tough shoot ‘em up (shmup) games, with a general emphasis on bullet density. This places them squarely within the realm of bullet hell, meaning that often times the screen is near completely covered with bullets that will all one shot you. The games themselves aren’t exactly the toughest shmups out there, but they do have a reputation among those familiar with the games as being decently tough.

Aside from the core shmup games, there’s also a ton of other “official” stuff for the game, including as of this writing, three fighting games, two photography games, books, comics/mangas, and music CDs. This isn’t even including all of the “non-official” fan produced works, which at this point must have become essentially uncountable.

Oh, did I mention that the vast majority of stuff in the official series (including music, programming, art, lore, etc) are all done by one person?

One guy spawned all of this stuff?
Yup that’s right. The games are produced by Team Shanghai Alice, but its only member is ZUN. Frankly it’s nothing short of incredible.

Yeah, yeah, that’s nice and all, but why does anyone care about this thing?
This question has been asked by many a person, and there really is no satisfactory answer as to why this series has blown up as much as it did. As for the games themselves, I can tell you that they have a very unique aesthetic that really can’t be compared with any other game. Aside from that, the games themselves are extremely fun, engaging, and offer a rather cohesive package of lore, wit, humor, and cultural references if you care for that stuff, and extremely tough gameplay, wonderful music and stage design, and of course the ability to easily and cheaply practice stages and compare results. That last one may not sound like much, but most popular shmups were actually made for the arcade, and you can’t save replays there to show your skills to friends, nor the ability to compete with other people on a grander scale. So there’s that.

I’ll give a special nod to the music though. It’s catchy and thematic, and an absolutely huge number of people make remixes of the music because they like it. With a very heavy emphasis on “huge”.

I’ll say! I just googled “Touhou fan works” and I’m completely overwhelmed and there’s so much stuff on Youtube and I’ve lost myself for days in TVTropes because the page is so big an-
The whole thing is very intimidating to take in all at once, so you should just relax and take things one at a time. For all stuff related to Touhou, go ahead and check out the Touhou megathread in ADTRW or the useful/miscellaneous links at the bottom of this post. Or don’t. Whatever you like.

Alright… So then what’s the deal with this LP?
I will be starting from game 10, Mountain of Faith, and going through 11 (Subterranean Animism), 12 (Undefined Fantastic Object), and 13 (Ten Desires) as they make a sort of “thematic arc” in the series (well, not so much number 11, but it’s on the way and it’s pretty drat fun like all the games in the series so I’m doing it!). This will be a Hybrid LP, with videos of the stages and boss fights, and screenshot updates with the dialogue/plot/extras. I do rather like the setting and plot/fluff of the series, so while I’m not particularly well versed in Japanese culture, I’ll try to give explanations for the stuff that I do know.

Fluff? Boring! I want to see you get wrecked instead!
Well I’m not exactly the best at these games, but I’m good enough that I’ll be showing most stuff off at Lunatic (the hardest) difficulty, and I might go down in difficulty level to show some different stuff off or some card differences if people care enough about that. I think I’m good enough to show off a fair amount of stuff in the games, but while I have cleared all these games on Lunatic already, I won’t spend an inordinate amount of time or delay updates trying to do something crazy.

So then what will the update schedule be like?
Videos of the run itself will be posted on weekends (either Saturday or Sunday), and fluff updates like boss profiles and spell card names/references will be posted on Wednesdays. Any extra stuff will be posted whenever. There might be a few busy weeks when I take breaks though.

So I found this neat fanart and music from those links! Can I post them?
Seeing as how the series does get a ton of energy from its fans, go ahead and post stuff you find about any game we’ve seen in the thread. However, a few very important caveats:
  1. This one is the one most people should read: No image dumps. Having a favorite character is fine. Using the thread to declare your undying love for him/her is not. This isn’t a “no images” rule, but use your better judgment as to whether a particular picture is relevant or not, and not your "omg this is so cool" judgment.
  2. Keep it classy and in good taste. There certainly are rather… unsavory elements to the fandom (not only limited to the obvious sex related stuff), so please keep that stuff out of the thread.
  3. This is not the Touhou megathread, and under no circumstances should this turn into a second megathread. Don’t turn this into a general discussion topic.
  4. And finally the one at the bottom that people probably skip over: Follow the forum rules as always.

Hm? Hey wait a sec. The question above mentioned the links again, then I scrolled down and they’re not here! You forgot the miscellaneous links!
Well I’m only human. I’m sure I’ll be making quite a few mistakes, so definitely feel free to call me out on those. Anyway, here you go:

Links!
ZUN’s official blog
The English Touhou wiki. It’s where I get a lot of info and pictures.
Touhou Megathread 5 in ADTRW

Other Touhou LPs!
Zorak’s archived LP of Touhous 1 through 6
Rising Grandpa’s LP of Touhous 7 through 9 (Requires Archives)

Updates!
The Dummy's Guide to Touhou and Shmups
Mountain of Faith Introduction
Mountain of Faith Stage 1
Mountain of Faith Stage 1 Boss Profile and Spell Cards
Mountain of Faith Stage 2
Mountain of Faith Stage 2 Boss Profile and Spell Cards

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Looks fine to me. Try finding some way to distinguish your comments from everything else, though; the usual method is to put them in italics/bold/underlined. Also, and this is just a recommendation, consider adding a little more detail to your dummy's guide. You have a big picture with a lot of numbers next to stuff and a list explaining what they all are, and that's fine, but you could also do something like:

quote:

This is the high score and score. Above the high score you can see the current difficulty of the game. The difficulty runs from Easy to Normal to Hard to Lunatic.

And for the streaming tutorial you could do

quote:

Aimed patterns are fired directed at your sprite can be simplified dramatically by slowly sidestepping the aimed bullets. This technique is called “streaming” because it leaves a “stream” of aimed bullets behind the character as you slowly sidestep the aimed bullets.

Again, this is just my thoughts; I imagine a lot of the people who'd follow the LP wouldn't even need to know all of that, after all. I'm really excited to see this LP continue. Good luck!

EDIT: Out of curiosity, do you intend to do the decimal games as well?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 2, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Welp time to throw this to the dogs, please read the whole post before making a response, I made some notes at the end.

I’m a Warrior, he’s a Mage, we fight Demon: Let’s Play Demon’s Souls

What is Demon’s Souls
Demon’s Souls is a Third Party action RPG game developed by From Software that is known for being incredibly difficult. The game focus more on thinking you moves out and executing them rather than running headlong into fights. The game also has a unique Online system, where players can leave behind messages for other players as hints, since the game does very little to inform you itself. You can also see the bloodstains of players who die, showing you how exactly they perished. Other players can also join your world as either a Blue, helpful, or Black, antagonistic, Phantom. The combination of all these features results in a very unique experience.

Wait a minute Newbie there was already a PRETTY complete LP of this by Squint
Ya, I know. However I’m aiming to show off a number of the features that Squint passed over, mainly online. I will be joined in my Demon hunting journey by my good friend Taoto. He will be summoned as a Blue Phantom in every video and we will co-op our way through the game. On top of this, we will be playing through on NG++++, which involves buffing the enemies to being 76.4% stronger than they are in a normal play through. The last is, since this is a NG++++ play through I have EVERYTHING, and I will be letting the thread vote on how I go into each battle. Reference the second post for a list of unique weapons and their properties.

Okay what else is there to go over
Well other than trying to show off everything, I will also be making this a more or less 100% run. I will be showing where to find every Ring and Unique Weapon. We’ll also be trying to give strategies for different situations. I will throw around the terminology of “BLANK DASH BLANK” a lot, Demon’s Souls is split into 5 worlds each world in parts. When I say World 3-2 I am referring to World 3 Part 2.

Videos
Test Post Video – This is the Test Post, due to the nature of Demon’s Souls this was done on 1-2 on NG+++. Also yes I’m aware I said Dark Souls in the video, you’d be surprised how easy it is to say the wrong game titles when they’re so similar.

A couple things of note, I have already run this video past some people and got a bit of feedback on it already. There are a couple of things I know that I need to fix already such as:

1. We need to slow down a bit, not so much move through the level slower just actually stop and explain some important things as they come up. Example, we say nothing about the dog ambush which is one of the main points of 1-2. Also maybe have Taoto not spamming Firestorm everywhere.

2. We need to bounce off each other more commentary wise, there are times when one of us says something and the other doesn’t acknowledge it because there is something else they want to spit out but this goes along with the slowing down. BUT it is a thing we need to work on and is worth mentioning, we don't need to focus so much on being informative, there’s a whole LP on that.

3. Maybe joke a little. It’s not terrible.

4. Taoto at times seems out of place in conversations, like I’m explaining everything and he’s just along for the ride. Will be fixing this by having Taoto talk and explain Spells to counter mine talking and explaining Weapons.

Any other feedback will be welcomed, it’s my first time doing, well most of the things in this LP, HD video, live commentary, cooperation. I would really like to know how those points came across as well.

I posted this but seeing as how it was on New Years and the end of a page seems like it got lost a little. All I'm looking for is are there anyother points other then what I already mentioned that need improvement? Also should I record another test post video or just talk it over with Taoto, prepare, and get to making the thread already?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

TITLE: The cutest game you'll ever see - Let's Play: Loco Roco

Hello there! Have you lost your way? That's no problem, take a seat, relax, enjoy yourself, have a cup of tea. You're in for an interesting ride.

Locoroco posted:

Living peacefully on a faraway planet, the LocoRoco and their friends, the Mui Mui, help grow vegetation and look after nature, making the planet a pleasant place to be, playing and singing the days away. When the Moja Troop comes to the planet to take it over, the LocoRoco do not know how to fight against these invaders from outer space. As such, the player assumes the role of "the planet" that is capable of guiding the LocoRoco around to defeat the Moja Troop and rescue the remaining LocoRoco, returning the planet to its peaceful ways

LocoRoco is a game for the Playstation Portable that was released back in September of 2006. The graphics seem fairly child-oriented, and not much about the game is shown, so a lot of people didn't pick it up, or didn't have a PSP in the first place. That's why I'm here to let you enjoy the experience too. Loco Roco is a fantastic game, and has a very minimalistic play, and graphic style.

Two buttons are used to play, L to tilt the world left, R to tilt the world right, and hold both to jump. Various other mechanics are explained in game as they appear, so after I get some basics out of the way, the game will mostly be self explanitory. The game revolves around being a visual experience that inspires childlike wonder, with a fantastically adorable soundtrack to match.

I'm hoping to show off everything this game has to offer. It has more content than you'd expect, so just relax, take a breath of fresh air, and let's begin, yeah?

1. A new beginning: Youtube

-------------

(This stuff's not going in the actual thread):

So I talked to Zorak and Slowbeef about this, and it's an interesting thing. There'll be less and less things to explain as the game goes on, so the commentary might get a little sparse. I was trying not to cross the fine line between Let's Play and a Longplay, but I think it's possible, and they said as long as there's some form of commentary it should still be alright. The game throws some new stuff at you every once in a while, so it shouldn't be too bad, I'm hoping. It's just gonna be a bit weird in later levels when there's not much to say, since this game mostly revolves around a visual experience rather than gimmicks. I'm open to any tips on how to get around this though, but as it stands I'm just going to be fairly minimal in my commentary in most levels.

Also, it was a mess to record this, I even had to overclock my PSP, but I'm glad it's getting out there for people to see this fantastic game, and hopefully enjoy themselves.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 2, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tsym posted:

Touhou LP

Looks good.
For stuff like the music or whatever, the easiest way to differentiate ZUN's writing from yours is to just shove him in quote tags. Or just put anything you have to say in italics.

I like the character images and that you've bothered to get one for each "emotion", I agree with blitz that perhaps using smaller images for your dummy's guide might be better, but then again I doubt there's gonna be that many people reading a touhou thread that don't already know how to play.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

I posted this but seeing as how it was on New Years and the end of a page seems like it got lost a little. All I'm looking for is are there anyother points other then what I already mentioned that need improvement? Also should I record another test post video or just talk it over with Taoto, prepare, and get to making the thread already?

Really looks pretty decent to me. The one thing is that since this is a co-op run, you should try to actually co-op a bit more where we can see you doing it (I felt that we often seemed to lose track of your partner--I understand that you can't always show him due to lock-on fixed camera and so on, but...). This I think kind of agrees with the issues you already noticed and is more or less in the similar vein.

Other than that, get your lore/mechanics straight if possible: darkmoonstone upgrades crescent weapons which regen your MP and moonlightstone is for normal magical weapons. But that's just me being :spergin:.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

ivantod posted:

Really looks pretty decent to me. The one thing is that since this is a co-op run, you should try to actually co-op a bit more where we can see you doing it (I felt that we often seemed to lose track of your partner--I understand that you can't always show him due to lock-on fixed camera and so on, but...). This I think kind of agrees with the issues you already noticed and is more or less in the similar vein.

Other than that, get your lore/mechanics straight if possible: darkmoonstone upgrades crescent weapons which regen your MP and moonlightstone is for normal magical weapons. But that's just me being :spergin:.

There were a lot of things said wrong in this video, hahaha. But I get where you're coming from, it wasn't till about halfway through the video that I realized I didn't research half the stuff I should have, ALL PART OF LEARNING RIGHT?! But thanks for the feedback.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Jewel posted:

TITLE: The cutest game you'll ever see - Let's Play: Loco Roco

Looks good to me. This game makes Yoshi look like Silent Hill. :3:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm assuming that the older Cheria images need to be fixed too then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
They could maybe stand a little bit of zooming out, but to be honest I think the Cheria ones are fine. The only one that's really zoomed in is the angry one, and it works for that, so I wouldn't change those unless everyone dogpiles in to tell me how wrong I am.

• Locked thread