Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For the MAA, can one of you ridiculous vehicle-spergs tell me if the active-radar rockets are good enough for all your anti-air needs? If so, then I can whore the 30mms and prox radar for killing men with maximum efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
What's worse than crashing is that nowhere in a quick sweep around me has the battlepack slim jims. Everyone is rocking their old half empty stand up boxes, so I'd have to buy them out to make them restock.

The darkest road imaginable.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
They really need to add Flak to the MAA to have some sort of chance against jets because I can't hit them even when I am leading right.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vehementi posted:

So how do shotguns work with respect to accuracy and stuff?

Do shotguns vary in these stats?

Do pump shotguns have a tighter cone?

Pump shotguns are more accurate and group tighter than the semi auto ones, but I think that's reflected in their actual stat pages. I don't know about the bullet spread, but I do have maddening moments when I shoot some rear end in a top hat in the chest at close range and it does hardly any damage and he wastes me in 1 second with his carbine.

lol carbines

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Do the APFSDS-T Shell for IFVs do extra vehicle damage or do they just have better range and higher muzzle velocity?

Also, do the Zuni rockets even do damage to any to MBTs? Because I've gotten behind a MBT or two and unloaded all my rockets into it only for it to not take any damage at all, I'm not if that's intentional or server lag telling me to go gently caress myself.

IFV's 4 life. I see two 'builds':
  • Zuni rockets for infantry killing, AP/Sabot/Whatever for your cannon to kill tanks, reactive armor, active protection. Kills armor better, but the rockets reload fast so you can't kill infantry nearly as well.
  • 25mm HE for infantry killing, TOW for armor killing, reactive armor, active protection. Better at killing infantry due to the 25mm HE, but you shoot more bullets. TOW is good for all types of armored targets.

IR smoke isn't bad either, but its more situational than active protection. Canister shells suck. Stealth armor isn't bad, but reactive makes you more survivable.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

For the MAA, can one of you ridiculous vehicle-spergs tell me if the active-radar rockets are good enough for all your anti-air needs? If so, then I can whore the 30mms and prox radar for killing men with maximum efficiency.

They only do 25 damage a piece but give next to no warning they're in bound. You can ripple off both and start firing your main gun and nearly instagib helicopters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

They really need to add Flak to the MAA to have some sort of chance against jets because I can't hit them even when I am leading right.

Then learn to lead better because I can hit planes from across the map :smuggo:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sandstorm levolution on Oman

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

Pump shotguns are more accurate and group tighter than the semi auto ones, but I think that's reflected in their actual stat pages. I don't know about the bullet spread, but I do have maddening moments when I shoot some rear end in a top hat in the chest at close range and it does hardly any damage and he wastes me in 1 second with his carbine.

lol carbines

Can you be really specific about what you mean by more accurate? Or did you just mean "group tighter"? The stats page is very ambiguous because each stat is an aggregation of multiple fundamental stats (mobility = weapon bring up time + hip fire + some other poo poo, for example). I only ask because symthic doesn't have stats/mechanics on shotguns yet, only the shells.

According to http://symthic.com/bf4-shotgun-stats?p=damage the HAWK and QBS do less damage per shot for buckshot and flechette (they have their specific shells down the list), but other semi auto ones don't have such a damage penalty? But the QBS is listed as "95" damage (higher than the pump shotguns!) ??

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Is there somewhere that DICE has posted a 'what's different from BF3' page? Every new Battlefield I have to go and figure all that poo poo out myself and I'd rather just read something. I guess you can charge the paddles now? Why would they never mention that anywhere in the game?

I found this: http://porkchopplatoon.com/Site/content.php/181-Multiplayer-Changes-from-BF3-to-BF4

But I'm sure there's more. Also, I'll say that I love so many of those changes, and I would have pre-ordered the poo poo out of the game if they'd been more public about those changes. Seriously they should have sent an email to all BF3 players. Reloading full clips? Easier sniper rifles? WIZBALLS? DMRs for everyone? Tanks don't have loving magic bags of holding that carry ammo? Those should have been in the commercials.

ElProducto fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 1, 2013

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

That's my setup and it's amazing. Though I use reactive armor and thermal optics instead of proximity scan.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Rectus posted:

Most of the ones you unlock are for guns and vehicles. The soldier camo is set for each class in the class configuration screen.

Thanks found it now. I can confirm I was being dumb.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kibayasu posted:

Then learn to lead better because I can hit planes from across the map :smuggo:

I can too but their HP seems to regenerate instantly between the slight moments they're able to get out of my fire before I can readjust or when they fly behind cover.

They die if they try to strafe me though.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
Crashing has now started to lock up my computer. :smith:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Yod posted:

That's my setup and it's amazing. Though I use reactive armor and thermal optics instead of proximity scan.
Fantastic! The 30mms I found were a lot worse against air but a lot better against infantry, which I guess doesn't matter so much when you instantly take off half of a heli's health and leave it without maneuverability for a bit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vehementi posted:

Can you be really specific about what you mean by more accurate? Or did you just mean "group tighter"?

All I use are shotguns, so I can tell you from experience that the pump shotguns have a tighter grouping- which means you can hit targets for better damage at longer range. According to that website they also do more damage per pellet for some of the ammo types.

Its confusing as gently caress. I have no idea what the differences between 12g Frag, 12g Frag (Pump) and 12g Frag (HAWK, QBS09) are either. I can tell that the UTS15 will be narly as hell, but I haven't a clue about how the stats for the other guns are representative.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
Is there some issue with the M320 LVG causing the game to crash?

I finally tried it after unlocking it and my first grenade launched with it causes the game to crash just as it explodes. I join another game and the same exact thing happens.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

I can too but their HP seems to regenerate instantly between the slight moments they're able to get out of my fire before I can readjust or when they fly behind cover.

They die if they try to strafe me though.

Well you're almost never going to kill planes solo from the across the map, the only option is to get closer. Otherwise enjoy the 10 points you get from the damage.

I also think jets start with the Maintenance upgrade now?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ravenfood posted:

Fantastic! The 30mms I found were a lot worse against air but a lot better against infantry, which I guess doesn't matter so much when you instantly take off half of a heli's health and leave it without maneuverability for a bit.

Active radar right now is completely unfair. Having a full mag+reload ready means you can take down a t-helo without even using the cannons. I've noticed that the 30mm is actually great against helos and okay against jets, long as you run auto-loader: it just actually requires you to lead quite a bit. Switching back to the 20mm is actually rather painful to me due to their spread at range.

DrPop posted:

Sandstorm levolution on Oman

Ffffuuuuuck. I might actually enjoy playing Oman now. So gorgeous.

BULBASAUR posted:

All I use are shotguns, so I can tell you from experience that the pump shotguns have a tighter grouping- which means you can hit targets for better damage at longer range. According to that website they also do more damage per pellet for some of the ammo types.

Its confusing as gently caress. I have no idea what the differences between 12g Frag, 12g Frag (Pump) and 12g Frag (HAWK, QBS09) are either. I can tell that the UTS15 will be narly as hell, but I haven't a clue about how the stats for the other guns are representative.

12g Frag is for the semi-autos, 12g Frag (pump) is for pump actions, 12g Frag (HAWK/QBS) is for the HAWK 12g and QBS09 specifically.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 1, 2013

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I've found that in general, the active radar missiles are good enough on their own to stop enemy skygods from trampling over your team in their sky chariots. You do need to lead them a good bit when shooting at distant targets but they're like LAW's on steroids and are extremely fast. For close targets you just pop two missiles out then start filling them with 30mm, and unless the pilot is able to duck behind cover (or bail out, obviously) you can usually destroy the vehicle.

So what I do is use the mAA as primarily an anti-infantry machine in support of my team's MBT's. You can switch back and forth between thermals regularly and you'll have a much better chance of spotting infantry/quads/etc than the MBT in front of you will, and you can keep any recons from loading them up with C4. Two or three times a minute, look up in the air and see if the other team is doing anything with their aircraft. If they are, take a second to launch your AR missiles and maybe engage with the 30mm if you get the chance.

As a pilot (the two vehicles I've starred are the mAA and the little bird) active radar missiles are nearly impossible to deal with. The only real thing you can do is just not get seen, since the lock-on warning is way too short to spoof with flares and the ECM doesn't last long enough for gun runs on the mAA to be worthwhile.

Also, and this is really really important to keep in mind as an mAA driver, never get out of your vehicle. A good driver in the mAA is really, really hard to kill, and with how vehicle health works now it's pretty easy to hit an opposing mAA with C4/RPG/mine/etc, get them to bail, then hop in and steal the fucker. If this happens to your team you are most likely not getting it back. (The same goes for little birds)

edit: I suppose this last bit applies to all vehicles, really. Just last night me and a buddy played a game on Rogue Transmission. We had joined the game down about 350-550 tickets or so, but he hopped in our tank spawn and I hopped in the gunner seat, and we proceeded to murder infantry/disable tanks left and right. For some reason the opposing tank drivers kept hopping out :iiam: so we would kind of look at each other and go 'hey free tanks!' before I went and stole them. This happened a few times, and we wound up winning 150-0.

Lord Yod fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 1, 2013

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress, this game needs to stop loving crashing. :dice:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

soy posted:

Holy gently caress, this game needs to stop loving crashing. :dice:

According to battlelog they're actively working on it today so maybe we'll get some results for tonight.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gazaar posted:

According to battlelog they're actively working on it today so maybe we'll get some results for tonight.

Working on "server stability' so I don't know if that means anything about crashing to desktop.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Yod posted:

edit: I suppose this last bit applies to all vehicles, really. Just last night me and a buddy played a game on Rogue Transmission. We had joined the game down about 350-550 tickets or so, but he hopped in our tank spawn and I hopped in the gunner seat, and we proceeded to murder infantry/disable tanks left and right. For some reason the opposing tank drivers kept hopping out :iiam: so we would kind of look at each other and go 'hey free tanks!' before I went and stole them. This happened a few times, and we wound up winning 150-0.

Could just be that a lot of people are still operating under the logic of BF3 tanks, where you needed an engineer to repair you to 100% otherwise you might as well get out. It's a bit stressful to stay in a tank that just took a mobility or immobilization hit but you pretty much have to get over it now because until you see the "FIRE" warning at - 10% I think? - your tank is just as mobile as a 100% tank.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Alright, so actually my computer is a bit worse than I thought.

Phenom II X4 970 (4x CPU @ 3.5HGz), 4GB RAM, Radeon 6800 HD series (can't remember which one I actually have) w/ 1GB dedicated video RAM...

Looks like I'd be at medium settings. Maybe a PS3 copy wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Always die in your vehicle. I'll only hop out if I'm at less than ten percent and literally see a swarm of missiles already streaking towards me.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ethanol posted:

Working on "server stability' so I don't know if that means anything about crashing to desktop.

Yeah usually I'd just bite my lip because CTDs usually are a result of a hosed up PC... But my PC is freshly reformatted for BF3 latest everything etc...

Maybe this is compounded a little by having previously worked at EA and its giving me flashbacks to all the stupid poo poo that I had to deal with working there.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ethanol posted:

I honestly think the two are related, since the super-common CTDs only appear for me during prime time. Early morning/late night I can go 6 rounds with no crashes, but between 5-10 PM I'm lucky to last a whole round without a CTD/sound-loop hang. I don't know just how it could be related, but the same servers and maps have done this exact thing for 3 days straight, so I'm starting to get suspicious.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

What's the deal with the different field upgrades? How do you level them up and how do you know what level you're using them at any given time?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

ethanol posted:

My understanding was that most of the crashing is directly related to servers.

Naturally Selected posted:

I honestly think the two are related, since the super-common CTDs only appear for me during prime time. Early morning/late night I can go 6 rounds with no crashes, but between 5-10 PM I'm lucky to last a whole round without a CTD/sound-loop hang. I don't know just how it could be related, but the same servers and maps have done this exact thing for 3 days straight, so I'm starting to get suspicious.

Same here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is they don't even keep it going from the same driver on switch. They weren't switching to a different pilot mid-flight to get a new set of flares. That'd be almost interesting because it requires a lot of coordination. It was the same pilot switching seats for a split second and then back into the pilot seat.

Both of those are covered by the bug I mentioned. Whatever.

VeggieSmuggler posted:

Crashing has now started to lock up my computer. :smith:

Are you sure you're not overheating?

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
So my brother bought this game for me.. awesome guy definitely! I cannot freaking believe how amazing the game is. Yes, there are some irritating parts, but on the whole (from what I've seen), it's far better than BF3 post-release.

Also I don't have a problem at all with stuttering, or poo poo FPS, so I'm not getting angry over FPS loss or anything. :iia:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sparticle posted:

Some shameless guy in the showdown seemed to be exploiting a bug where if you swap seats in the scout heli it will reset flares.
Time to take advantage of this before it gets hotfixed :getin:

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I've got a slightly weaker processor than you and a slightly stronger GPU, and I run it comfortably at high/ultra at 1440p and it looks much, much, much better than a PS3 copy.

---

Another question for field upgrades: Is the Level 1 upgrade just always active no matter what?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Alright, so actually my computer is a bit worse than I thought.

Phenom II X4 970 (4x CPU @ 3.5HGz), 4GB RAM, Radeon 6800 HD series (can't remember which one I actually have) w/ 1GB dedicated video RAM...

Looks like I'd be at medium settings. Maybe a PS3 copy wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

That's better than what I'm running (except RAM, I'm at 8 GB) - I've got a Phenom II x4 985 and a Radeon 5870 1 GB video RAM and I am medium/high on most things at 1680x1050. Not sure of the FPS because I haven't used the console command, but I don't have stuttering or choppyness at all.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

SquadronROE posted:

You know that medium settings looks fantastic right? I've got a broadly similar setup to yours and it runs fantastic on the default medium settings. That is unless you're buying the PS3 version to upgrade it later to the PS4 version, in which case go wild.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ElProducto posted:

Is there somewhere that DICE has posted a 'what's different from BF3' page? Every new Battlefield I have to go and figure all that poo poo out myself and I'd rather just read something. I guess you can charge the paddles now? Why would they never mention that anywhere in the game?

I found this: http://porkchopplatoon.com/Site/content.php/181-Multiplayer-Changes-from-BF3-to-BF4

But I'm sure there's more. Also, I'll say that I love so many of those changes, and I would have pre-ordered the poo poo out of the game if they'd been more public about those changes. Seriously they should have sent an email to all BF3 players. Reloading full clips? Easier sniper rifles? WIZBALLS? DMRs for everyone? Tanks don't have loving magic bags of holding that carry ammo? Those should have been in the commercials.

Put this poo poo in the OP!

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

John Magnum posted:

Another question for field upgrades: Is the Level 1 upgrade just always active no matter what?

Yes level 1 is always active. The next levels activate when you make a point with "squad" in front of it. For example, squal heal points, squad assist, squad etc. If your squad is wiped out you start back at level 1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nrr posted:

What's the deal with the different field upgrades? How do you level them up and how do you know what level you're using them at any given time?

The progress bar is above the squad member list. You gain levels by gaining squad points. You'll lose everything is everyone in the squad is dead at the same time.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Lugaloco posted:

You know that medium settings looks fantastic right? I've got a broadly similar setup to yours and it runs fantastic on the default medium settings. That is unless you're buying the PS3 version to upgrade it later to the PS4 version, in which case go wild.

Fine, I'm in. Now to just figure out where the best deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Zaphod42 posted:

Put this poo poo in the OP!
I'd be extremely distrustful of anything that positively associates Halo with "control tightness".

• Locked thread