Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maxwell Lord posted:

This would be a fun character to introduce, in his own movie.

Then again Warner Bros. has been wanting to make Superman/Batman for a while (the posters for it and a few other superhero type movies in I Am Legend- which takes place in the very near future- are all hints at projects WB had under development at the time) so they may have just grabbed on the first opportunity.

They're killing two birds with one stone, honestly. They're getting their Man of Steel sequel and a new Batman all in one movie. It's a smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Then again Warner Bros. has been wanting to make Superman/Batman for a while (the posters for it and a few other superhero type movies in I Am Legend- which takes place in the very near future- are all hints at projects WB had under development at the time) so they may have just grabbed on the first opportunity.

I'd have preferred an individual film just to introduce the new Gotham and supporting cast. But Batman himself is the one superhero I can think of that doesn't require an origin telling. You can just start a story with him, and his backstory is conveyed through implication. Show him hitting a punching bag, and you know he's been training for years, or show him at a microscope, and you know he's been studying forensic science.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Batman actually works perfectly for a movie where Lex Luthor is the antagonist. It allows a threat where Batman can actually use relevant skills and can't just be solved by having Superman chuck Luthor into the sun.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

Batman actually works perfectly for a movie where Lex Luthor is the anprotagonist. It allows a threat where Batman can actually use relevant skills and can't just be solved by having Superman chuck Luthor into the sun.

A Batman Lex Luthor team-up to defeat Kal-El would be the dreamiest thing. Not only the joy of seeing Luthor on the big screen, but two men of great will and intelligence using their combined skills to demonstrate once and for all that mankind has no need for Kal-El!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh, it predates I Am Legend by quite a bit: Batman/Superman goes back to 2002 when WB had Wolfgang Petersen attached to direct which he ditched to make Troy forcing WB to just focus on new, solo pictures to re-introduce the characters.

Edit: To add to the conversation, having Lex Luthor and Batman team-up loosely would be very, very interesting to see.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 23, 2013

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A Batman/Luthor team-up is the only way I can see this thing working while staying thematically appropriate as a follow-up.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I could see them borrowing from Kingdom Come, where Bruce Wayne teams up with Lex just to get close enough to figure out what he's really up to.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

Oh, it predates I Am Legend by quite a bit: Batman/Superman goes back to 2002 when WB had Wolfgang Petersen attached to direct which he ditched to make Troy forcing WB to just focus on new, solo pictures to re-introduce the characters.

This script is still floating around the 'net as well.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
So any speculation as to who will playing Batman in this upcoming crossover? Channing Tatum perhaps?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Retardog posted:

I could see them borrowing from Kingdom Come, where Bruce Wayne teams up with Lex just to get close enough to figure out what he's really up to.

Yeah, this is how I'm guessing it's going to go, Bruce and Lex use their millions to help rebuild the city, maybe initially Batman is against Superman, but then realizes Lex is evil and insane.

Devour posted:

So any speculation as to who will playing Batman in this upcoming crossover? Channing Tatum perhaps?

Danzig

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Devour posted:

Chris Pine? or even better, Karl Urban. Wouldn't be much of a stretch for him.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 23, 2013

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Devour posted:

Anson Mount would be pretty good at it, I think.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Devour posted:

If he is, I hope there'll be a scene where it's just Clark and Bruce grating their abs against each other for like a solid ten minutes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Retardog posted:

Chris Pine? or even better, Karl Urban. Wouldn't be much of a stretch for him.

After his role as Judge Dredd in Dredd, I think he could do a good turn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wyoming posted:

Yeah, this is how I'm guessing it's going to go, Bruce and Lex use their millions to help rebuild the city, maybe initially Batman is against Superman, but then realizes Lex is evil and insane.

I wouldn't mind if it was something like this, but I'd honestly be just as fine with a more low-key thing like "while Superman is patrolling the globe for disasters and serious crimes to stop, he meets a mysterious vigilante who gives him a unique perspective on what it means to be an inspiring symbol". I guess it just depends on how much of Batman's background they leave to unspoken general knowledge in the service of a more coherent Superman story in the present.

quote:

Danzig

Triple H

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LeJackal posted:

After his role as Judge Dredd in Dredd, I think he could do a good turn.

But then he'd just be Judge Dredd without guns.

Google Anson Mount, the guy would be perfect.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Justin Godscock posted:

I don't think that's quite accurate (why would Petersen quitting have killed the project, rather than just prompting WB to sign another director)? If I recall, executives at the time were excited enough about - of all things - the now-infamous JJ Abrams Superman script to kill Batman/Superman on that basis.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I wouldn't mind if it was something like this, but I'd honestly be just as fine with a more low-key thing like "while Superman is patrolling the globe for disasters and serious crimes to stop, he meets a mysterious vigilante who gives him a unique perspective on what it means to be an inspiring symbol".

The entire conceit fails because Kal-El does not seek out opportunities to help humanity, and only deigns to act when it is convenient for himself and his interests.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Devour posted:

Dear god I hope not. If Luke Evans can pull of an American accent, I'd want him to land the role. Or maybe Liam McIntyre of Spartacus fame. Alot of rumblings say Matthew Goode will make the shortlist (I'd be ok with that), or if they want an older, "been through the poo poo" kind of Batman then maybe Jon Hamm.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I think we need a lighthearted Batman again. Neil Patrick Harris has done the voice for Nightwing or some such thing right? Let's make him Batman. Then have JGL be Robin.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
None of these suggestions are Liam McIntyre so therefore they are all wrong .

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

This article conveys many of my reactions. If Warner Bros. had forced Superman into a Batman sequel, we'd have been cheated out of The Dark Knight. We got a glimpse of the fully formed Superman in the drone scene, and I was looking forward to seeing that character further developed in a thoughtful followup. Without pre-judging completely, I anxiously hope it all works out and that the themes raised by Man of Steel are fully explored.

Devour posted:

*casting talk for five pages*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Toady posted:

Could be worse, we could be talking about which pro wrestler would best fit the role.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Superman accidentally travels back in time to World War I, where he teams up with a soldier or airman assigned to a commissioned officer as a personal servant. That batman's name: Alfred Pennyworth.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

greatn posted:

Superman accidentally travels back in time to World War I, where he teams up with a soldier or airman assigned to a commissioned officer as a personal servant. That batman's name: Alfred Pennyworth.

This might actually be pretty cool, what with how badass Alfred supposedly was before he became the personal butler for the Waynes.

Bingarosso
Feb 28, 2013

Toady posted:

This article conveys many of my reactions. If Warner Bros. had forced Superman into a Batman sequel, we'd have been cheated out of The Dark Knight. We got a glimpse of the fully formed Superman in the drone scene, and I was looking forward to seeing that character further developed in a thoughtful followup. Without pre-judging completely, I anxiously hope it all works out and that the themes raised by Man of Steel are fully explored.

Absolutely. To me, Man of Steel was one of the worst written films I've ever seen. To start combining Superman and Batman, with their wildly different senses of scale and scope, particularly with the supposed "hook" of "Gritty realism" would take a trick of writing that I'm not sure Goyer is capable of. This really does feel like a cash in, as did Man of Steel, and I'm puzzled as to why people would ever be excited about it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liam McIntyre should be Batman because then him and Cavill would bond through having side by side computers on set and going on WoW raids together.

Maybe they could even be in character when they play :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Liam McIntyre should be Batman because then him and Cavill would bond through having side by side computers on set and going on WoW raids together.

Now I really want to see Cavill's WoW character.

He drat well better have a red cape.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

I didn't know Liam McIntyre plays WoW. Knew Cavill did/does, but that's hilarious. They'd probably go on raids in between takes on set, haha (while in costume).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's some Supermen for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbq1fRbkOAE

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

And here's the 75th anniversary panel at Comic-Con:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHix9bBIFws

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I am happy there's another Superman movie in the works. I vote for not including Batman at all. Man of Steel to me is a movie where Clark is just learning about who he really is and what he can do. I want another movie or two with just Superman confidently using his powers.

Out of curiosity, I checked out Rotten Tomatoes today and here's what I found:

Man of Steel = Critics Rating of 56% and Audience Rating of 77%
Superman Returns = Critics rating is 75% certified fresh and Audience Rating of 58%

I agree with the audience rating both times.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Returns was more critically acclaimed than Man Of Steel? :stare:

Jesus, no. Man of Steel wasn't a great movie, but it was certainly more watchable than Returns. I re-watched Returns like a month ago and it was a loving chore to sit through. Hell, even Quest for Peace was (marginally) more watchable than Returns.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I've come around to the idea of Batman being in the next movie. Goyer has made it sound as though Superman will continue developing as a character, and I'm interested in seeing Snyder's style of shooting Batman. I was hoping for a classic second act in the vein of Dark Knight, but I think I was overestimating Lex Luthor's appeal as a standalone villain, especially after four previous films.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
To be fair we haven't really seen "Lex Luthor" in film. He is the smartest man on the planet; a billionaire businessman and scientist who is seen as the pinnacle of human achievement. The corny tv serial villain obsessed with land has been shoved down our throats for 30 years. Im so down for a reboot. If only so we get this scene between Lex and Bruce.

And scenes like this between the two most well-known enemies in comic history.

Both panels from "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel"

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, Returns was more critically acclaimed than Man Of Steel? :stare:

Jesus, no. Man of Steel wasn't a great movie, but it was certainly more watchable than Returns. I re-watched Returns like a month ago and it was a loving chore to sit through. Hell, even Quest for Peace was (marginally) more watchable than Returns.

I wonder where the notion that Superman Returns was panned came from. It was pretty openly critically acclaimed. I think I'll always be mystified at the fan backlash to that movie.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
The fan backlash from Returns is the reason we got neck snapping Superman in MoS, which nerds continued to complain about. Lesson? Nerds will complain about everything.

Edit: Over in the Spartacus thread they're pulling for Liam McIntyre to play Batman, which I support fully. Someone came up with the hashtag to use to lobby for him, #BringerOfWayne.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Danger posted:

I wonder where the notion that Superman Returns was panned came from. It was pretty openly critically acclaimed.

I don't remember it being reviewed as anything other than mediocre by reviewers.

sleepingbuddha posted:

The fan backlash from Returns is the reason we got neck snapping Superman in MoS

The fan backlash from Returns was due to it being a boring and occasionally really stupid film. That had nothing to do with the neck snapping being in MoS.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I don't know, prior to Man of Steel, nerds were saying they just wanted to see Superman throw a punch and then Snyder said, "No you don't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Does Batman have to be white or male? Can the casting open up to consider other actors? I'd imagine that'd cause a shitstorm.

• Locked thread