Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Applecross WC. posted:

It was meant to be the dogs but it's looking like the dogs have been severely overrated because they are media darlings.
Or maybe the structure of their team has fallen away due to injuries, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i think it kind of got glazed over in a lovely round of footy but man, richmond are awful

its going to make it even weirder when they beat hawthorn this week

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I only saw the first half but by god Carlton-Essendon was a crime against footy.

Saints showing life though made me happy :haw:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

harperdc posted:

I only saw the first half but by god Carlton-Essendon was a crime against footy.

Saints showing life though made me happy :haw:

Second half almost redeemed it. It was still bad teams being bad but the game opened up into a scrambly desperate goal frenzy

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Watched the Port v Richmond game at a friends house which was great except we only had the free to air broadcast and were subjected to Eddie McGuire Victorian homerism. I can't remember when I heard him commentate a game last but my god it was horrible, he clearly and unashamedly wanted Richmond to win. It was enough for us all to sit there and go, "wtf, is he for real?" everytime he called for a Richmond free kick or simply ignored any decent play by Port.

I don't know if this is normal for him (I guess it is) but Cameron Ling and Wayne Carey were just as bad, it was sickening. I guess it isn't surprising...but still, it's disappointing. :smith:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cloud the Cat posted:

Watched the Port v Richmond game at a friends house which was great except we only had the free to air broadcast and were subjected to Eddie McGuire Victorian homerism. I can't remember when I heard him commentate a game last but my god it was horrible, he clearly and unashamedly wanted Richmond to win. It was enough for us all to sit there and go, "wtf, is he for real?" everytime he called for a Richmond free kick or simply ignored any decent play by Port.

I don't know if this is normal for him (I guess it is) but Cameron Ling and Wayne Carey were just as bad, it was sickening. I guess it isn't surprising...but still, it's disappointing. :smith:

Don't blame on Victorian Media Bias(tm), what can easily be explained by the undisputed fact that Eddie McGuire, and Wayne Carey are cunts. Ling is just a bad commentator.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
suns and dees. who wants to lose more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I just realised I tipped 8 on the weekend, the tip I stuffed up: Melbourne.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Right now I'm leaning between GWS, and Gold Coast because they just started as well. Plus they have Ablett

Volkerball posted:

Between Jack Martin becoming eligible next season, Jaeger O'Meara being awesome, and Ablett still having a couple years left in him, I'm following Gold Coast. Not to mention Harley Bennell, Tom Nicholls, David Swallow, and all the other young guys on the team. Seems like they really have a shot at the premiership in the next few years.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Hi thread. Footy sucks, especially Richmond.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Your reasoning was perfectly sound and everything that you anticipated could have happened without any stretches of imagination.

Then football happened.

The next few weeks are going to be delicious schadenfreude for those of us with an emotional investment in seeing Essendon taken down a peg or seven. Sydney at home then the soon-to-be 7-0 Roos is going to suuuuuuuuuck (for them).

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

I just realised I tipped 8 on the weekend, the tip I stuffed up: Melbourne.

i was annoyed i only got 6 this week in the tips thinking i would lose ground in the tipping comp im doing as i was only a point off the lead, turns out that was equal highest across the comp for the round with 8 people all matching it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

i think it kind of got glazed over in a lovely round of footy but man, richmond are awful

Turns out they hosed their rebuild by recruiting too many mature age players. On the bright side another 8 years is probably a drop in the ocean for Richmond fans.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Memento posted:

the soon-to-be 7-0 Roos

Uhh, I believe you'll find that the Saints will beat the Roos this week.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

Uhh, I believe you'll find that the Saints will beat the Roos this week.

They always beat us when we were good, time for the tables to turn.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Turns out they hosed their rebuild by recruiting too many mature age players. On the bright side another 8 years is probably a drop in the ocean for Richmond fans.

they should bring back terry wallace

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

There was legit a caller on SEN this morning saying they should keep Hardwick as coach and install Wallace as list manager

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

snaeksikn posted:

counterpoint: they should do this to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6m6NM_Md0

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

They always beat us when we were good, time for the tables to turn.

We seem to match up on them fairly well as well. Well we did last year when we dominated them for the first half keeping them to 4.3 while shooting ourselves in the foot by kicking 6.11.

Of course, this years North is a fairly different beast than last years.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Not forgetting the last two times we played them were at Bellerive Oval.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

no beer no cocaine makes the suns dull boys

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

There was legit a caller on SEN this morning saying they should keep Hardwick as coach and install Wallace as list manager

Haha that had to be a joke

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

Haha that had to be a joke

The following caller rang up to say how hard done by Lindsay Thomas is

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Memento posted:

Your reasoning was perfectly sound and everything that you anticipated could have happened without any stretches of imagination.

Then football happened.

The next few weeks are going to be delicious schadenfreude for those of us with an emotional investment in seeing Essendon taken down a peg or seven. Sydney at home then the soon-to-be 7-0 Roos is going to suuuuuuuuuck (for them).

Taken down a peg or two? Mate, the peg is underground at this stage already and has been for some time. It's Hawthorn's peg
I'm enjoying fall. And Richmond. And Freo. And Collingwood.

Are the Roos going to be to this what Freo was last year? I mean, you expect that tough patch they have mid year to expose them a bit but in truth North style they could get through that relatively unscathed. Then in the finals could unleash Norf.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

For Richmond to be competitive quickly they would basically need to trade some top tier players for draft picks and try and get something like 3 picks in the top 10 (assuming they'll finish low this year).

The biggest problem is there isn't much talent to trade that would garner the sort of picks they need. Deledio is too old and injury prone to trade, I think Jack is untouchable which really only leaves Rance, who you'd also think is untouchable, and Cotchin.

Has a captain ever been traded? I think Leigh Colbert was traded as Geelong captain but I think that was per his request.
I'd trade Cotch if you could get a top 10 pick for him.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Sometimes these sportsbet/william hill/TAB videos can be pretty hit and miss, this one is pretty great though - https://www.facebook.com/WillHillAus/videos/1098351853540056/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

pkid posted:

Has a captain ever been traded? I think Leigh Colbert was traded as Geelong captain but I think that was per his request.

Judd, both by request. Vandenberg was encouraged into retirement while captain of the Hawks.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 2, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Didnt the doggies have to trade their captain recently as well?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oh right, Ryan Griffen was captain of the Bulldogs, and he also walked out.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think Rance is the kind of guy who will ride out a rebuild. I reckon he will leave or retire if the tigers keep being bad, so maybe you should just trade him while he has so much currency.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Maybe he'll go north and be Vice Godbotherer to Gazza.

But, nah, you'd reckon he'd quit like he was going to not long ago. A Richmond rebuild would be literal hell.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

thepokey posted:

Are the Roos going to be to this what Freo was last year? I mean, you expect that tough patch they have mid year to expose them a bit but in truth North style they could get through that relatively unscathed. Then in the finals could unleash Norf.
Well, the reason there's still doubt about North is that aside from a home game against Adelaide and the less than impressive win over a directionless Bulldogs. But you can only play against the opposition you've been given.

Next three games are St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton. Could very conceivably go 9-0. Then it gets a bit tougher, starting with Sydney, Richmond (OK they should win that but it's North vs Richmond), then Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide away, the bye then West Coast away. If they win half of those that takes them to 12-3, which is still pretty good.

I don't think they'll sail off to 8-1 and then miss the finals like Essendon did when they were on crazy pills.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Well, the reason there's still doubt about North is that aside from a home game against Adelaide and the less than impressive win over a directionless Bulldogs. But you can only play against the opposition you've been given.

Next three games are St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton. Could very conceivably go 9-0. Then it gets a bit tougher, starting with Sydney, Richmond (OK they should win that but it's North vs Richmond), then Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide away, the bye then West Coast away. If they win half of those that takes them to 12-3, which is still pretty good.

I don't think they'll sail off to 8-1 and then miss the finals like Essendon did when they were on crazy pills.

Nah I didn't mean miss the finals, i mean customarily gently caress up once in the finals like Freo did last year with the same sort of start, or, you know, like they themselves have done the last 2 years.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

James McDonald got shoved out while captain and that was one of the key factors in how hosed we were

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I had a peek over at big footy and the Richmond board is PISSED

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Aren't they always, though?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

I had a peek over at big footy and the Richmond board is PISSED

Sack the board

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sack the board

Why? Dimma was always going to be the coach this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

thepokey posted:

Nah I didn't mean miss the finals, i mean customarily gently caress up once in the finals like Freo did last year with the same sort of start, or, you know, like they themselves have done the last 2 years.

Freo fell apart last year due to injury and playing underdone players in nearly all the key positions, if Norf can keep everyone fit and healthy I think they're a big chance actually winning it.

• Locked thread