Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

nwin posted:

So wait a sec-could I potentially pay less for tickets on stub hub than buying then directly from redsox.com? I just always assumed I would pay more.

I'm also military, so that could be an option for some cheap standing room tickets-I know neither of the in-laws are fans, they just want to see a game at Fenway.

Generally speaking, online scalping isn't a big business for regular season games. If it were, say, the World Series, the might be a different story, but for a regular season game, even at Fenway, you're much more likely to find ticket holders going "ah, crap, I can't go today, let's see if I can just get pizza money back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:stare: posted:

—Bonds had four sacrifice hits in his career. (Ted Williams had five; Hank Aaron had 21.)
How is this even possible? Surely more than four times in his career Bonds had a man on third with less than two out, and he just hit a long fly out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sacrifice Hits, not Sacrifice Flies. :punto:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

"Sacrifice hits" are bunts. What you're thinking of is called a "sacrifice fly".

And Jim Thome only had 1 sacrifice hit, so he's clearly better.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sac flies and sac hits are different. Sac hits are where you bunt to advance baserunners to 2nd and/or 3rd. I don't think you can get an RBI off a sac bunt, it's either a squeeze (which is scored similar to a grounder if you get thrown out at 1st or fielders choice if the runner gets thrown out) or a sac fly if there's a tag up involved.

Sac hits are entirely sacrificial and are most commonly seen in late + close games with a runner on 2nd and nobody out or a runner on 1st and a guy who hits for average well coming up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alan Trammell posted:

"Sacrifice hits" are bunts. What you're thinking of is called a "sacrifice fly".
Then why is there this line:
—In his 16 recorded bunt attempts, Bonds laid down two for sacrifices and picked up eight hits on the others, for a .571 batting average.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Good question. I dunno if there are ways of sacrificing besides bunting. Nothing comes to mind.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you get an actual hit it's not a sacrifice. Also a sacrifice doesn't count as an at bat so 8/14 = .571

e: I'm not sure about the disconnect in the two sacrifice lines. B-R has him with four total and two in his rookie year so maybe the place they got the second stat from doesn't track back that far?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

After watching Beltre and then Cano (and ostensibly now Morales) go to Safeco just to have their thump evaporate, I checked out the park factors for SafeCo, and it's 29th, lower than even PetCo.

Is park factor a useful stat, though? Over the last three years, there's been 5 seasons of King Felix and Iwakuma pitching to opposing players, and about ˝ a season of a legitimate power hitter in Cano (and he's doing awful) there to offset it the other way. How much does historically anemic offense and great pitching affect the park factor, and can you discount it if literally half the information being fed into the system is wildly atypical.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Park factors are generally pretty decent but to get a good measure of them you have to look at multiple years. There's just too much noise in a single season for it to be all that accurate. There are some people (self included) who think that park factors can be a bit distorted by team composition. Safeco and AT&T, for example, are both filled by teams who have had good pitching and terrible hitting, and they have park factors that I think are a little bit ridiculous.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bob Shabazz posted:

Park factors are generally pretty decent but to get a good measure of them you have to look at multiple years. There's just too much noise in a single season for it to be all that accurate. There are some people (self included) who think that park factors can be a bit distorted by team composition. Safeco and AT&T, for example, are both filled by teams who have had good pitching and terrible hitting, and they have park factors that I think are a little bit ridiculous.

I did mention three-year park factors, but again years of Mike Zunino and Dustin Ackley getting significant ABs while Iwakuma and King Felix toe the rubber means it's still probably distorted.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Everblight posted:

After watching Beltre and then Cano (and ostensibly now Morales) go to Safeco just to have their thump evaporate, I checked out the park factors for SafeCo, and it's 29th, lower than even PetCo.

Is park factor a useful stat, though? Over the last three years, there's been 5 seasons of King Felix and Iwakuma pitching to opposing players, and about ˝ a season of a legitimate power hitter in Cano (and he's doing awful) there to offset it the other way. How much does historically anemic offense and great pitching affect the park factor, and can you discount it if literally half the information being fed into the system is wildly atypical.

I would look at ERA+ or some other team metric.

I think park factor tells me what I already know (e.g, hitting dingers in ATT park), but it's interesting to be quantified.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Everblight posted:

I did mention three-year park factors, but again years of Mike Zunino and Dustin Ackley getting significant ABs while Iwakuma and King Felix toe the rubber means it's still probably distorted.

Seattle has had decent to good pitching and a horrid offense for like 6 years at this poing

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Safeco didn't kill Cano's power, it disappeared over a year ago.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Bob Shabazz posted:

A good example of this is the 2010 Giants (GREAT pitching, good offense, with a 98 park factor), and the 2012 Giants (good pitching, bad offense, 89 park factor)

between those two years, the park factor changed tremendously over the three-year sample size.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
Teams tailoring their pitching staffs around their parks (i.e. fly ball pitchers in a cavernous ballpark) don't help much either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why not rejigger Park Factor to be

code:
average distance of batted balls to each field (league-wide)
      ------------------------------
          dimensions of ballpark
to show how much bigger or smaller than average it is. Feel free to also incorporate foul territory as a percentage of fair territory to show how O.co generates crazy extra outs due to its massive foul territory.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

There's way more things that go into park factor than park dimensions. Coors has some of the biggest dimensions in baseball, for example.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Everblight posted:

Why not rejigger Park Factor to be

In addition to factors beyond dimensions having an impact (see: atmosphere, batters-eye, foul territory as you said), even with the dimensions themselves large dimensions may suppress homeruns (sometimes) but can also lead to an increase in doubles and triples by virtue of increasing the area outfielders have to cover.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Everblight posted:

Huh? How do you think Park Factor is calculated? Even if you have a lovely offense, you can still figure out the park factor by how they perform on the road. Same with the good pitching staff.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
OK, so double posting because it's been a few hours. Now I'm off my phone and I can post how BB-Ref does their park factors.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/parkadjust.shtml

The math is pretty long but here's the gist of it:

1) Park Factors on BB-Ref are 3 year averages. The 3 year average for Safeco is 95 for both pitchers and hitters. This year it's 96/97.
2) You take Runs scored and allowed in the park and divide it by runs scored and allowed on the road
3) You adjust for the difference in innings since you don't always pitch or hit the full 9 innings
4) You adjust for the fact that other parks aren't league average
5) You adjust for the fact that your hitters don't have to face your pitching and your pitching doesn't have to face your hitting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The broken bones posted:

A good example of this is the 2010 Giants (GREAT pitching, good offense, with a 98 park factor), and the 2012 Giants (good pitching, bad offense, 89 park factor)

between those two years, the park factor changed tremendously over the three-year sample size.

Just addressing the critique about the differences between years. Is OPS+ a "bad stat"? Because...

2010: 98 OPS+
2012: 106 OPS+

I didn't watch 2010, but I kind of feel like then summary doesn't quite add up. 2012 had an MVP player who also got a batting title because the leading candidate from the same team was hot with PEDs. That was bad offense?

It seems like if you'd figure that for bad offense, it'd be because their home park somehow transformed into a house of horrors for all teams in two years. Opponents were still held to low scoring games, even after the diminished pitching.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 27, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Craptacular! posted:

Just addressing the critique about the differences between years. Is OPS+ a "bad stat"? Because...

2010: 98 OPS+
2012: 106 OPS+

You know what, I just mixed it up by mistake, 2012 was good offense and bad pitching.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Another general baseball question: How large should an outfielders glove be for an adult? I assumed (as men are want to do) that bigger was better and was about to purchase a 34 inch glove, before I was told they were generally meant for softball, rather than baseball. I have pretty big hands if that helps.

Edit: I mean 14 inches. US measurements are weird to me.

Gina like vagina fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 10, 2014

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Krigen posted:

Another general baseball question: How large should an outfielders glove be for an adult? I assumed (as men are want to do) that bigger was better and was about to purchase a 34 inch glove, before I was told they were generally meant for softball, rather than baseball. I have pretty big hands if that helps.

A 34 inch glove? Are you in a mascot costume or an actual giant? I think most 14s are softball and most big leaguers use a 12.5 to 13. You can probably find some "what the pros use" list for individual players. Most pro gloves are 500+ bucks and or custom made obviously, but can give you an idea on popular webbing styles.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Krigen posted:

It really depends on the size of your hand, but softball gloves are generally larger than baseball gloves on account of the larger ball used.

As long as you're buying the glove at an actual sporting goods store and not some big box store (and Dick's counts as a big box store most of the time), listen to the salesman and take his or her advice. A softball glove won't be terrible, but may not be the best choice if you're playing baseball.

But... 34 inches? Is that accurate?

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
... I meant 14 inches. Holy heck how did I make that mistake? I blame the fact that I use metric and not imperial and must have mentally converted it to centimetres or something.

This might give me a real edge though!

Gina like vagina fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 10, 2014

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Are minor leaguers informed if they go on a PTBNL list? I'm mostly wondering if the ten players who may potentially be traded for Roberto Hernandez are aware of it yet.

Relatedly, can players be on PTBNL lists for two different trades? Could the Dodgers have doubled up on players when talking to the Phillies and Twins, and if the Phillies were to pick a player who happened to be on both lists, would the Dodgers call Minnesota and say "sorry, he's gone now?"

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

what happens to a guy in Arb that has an injury that causes them to miss a season or seasons? Like Tyler Skaggs for example.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
gonna be in miami from like 15-25ish august. never been in america before and i want to see a baseball game

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
They'll be playing the Diamondbacks during that time. You should buy some tickets; it might just be a crash-course in what unwritten rules are, how they can be broken, and where a Diamondback pitcher will plunk you for breaking one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What positions does the most offense typically come from and what positions are typically more like "eh he catches the ball good, who cares if he's no good at the plate."

My assumption is something like:
Offense: 1B, 2B, COF, DH (in :911: league)
Defense: CF, C, SS, 3B

Or is it just that every team does what they can with the players they can acquire and there's no trend?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

VJeff posted:

What positions does the most offense typically come from and what positions are typically more like "eh he catches the ball good, who cares if he's no good at the plate."

Or is it just that every team does what they can with the players they can acquire and there's no trend?

The order of defensive difficulty is C/SS > 2B/CF > 3B > RF > LF > 1B > DH. The further you get to the right, the larger the talent pool that could fill the position, and hence in theory the better the hitting should be. (In practice, ofc, not so simple.) Which means that as you go left, 1) great defense stands out more, and 2) poor hitting stands out less. That said, a smart team is going to consider their options as individuals: Hanley Ramirez is a hell of a SS even though he's not a very good fielder, and if your options at other positions are better than your other SSes, then that's where he belongs.

One warning: just because a position is "easier" than another does NOT mean that any player can move there. Catcher is an extremely tough position, but it doesn't require the range that SS/2B/CF do. 2B is "harder" than 3B but 3B requires arm strength that most second basemen don't have (if they did, they'd usually be shortstops).

Bonus: 3B being in the middle of this continuum is why there are so few HoF 3Bs: they usually don't hit well enough to compare to the other corner players, but they're not really a "defense position" like middle infield.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

Swap 2B and 3B. In general the key defensive positions are up the middle. CF covers the most outfield 2B/SS cover the most ground in the infield. (SS is more valuable than 2B, since more balls are hit towards the position and need to make longer throws.)

3B is kind of in the middle between good offense and defense, because you need a good arm, but they don't cover as much ground as SS/2B.

edit:

This is what Iget for making coffee.

Mornacale posted:

One warning: just because a position is "easier" than another does NOT mean that any player can move there. Catcher is an extremely tough position, but it doesn't require the range that SS/2B/CF do. 2B is "harder" than 3B but 3B requires arm strength that most second basemen don't have (if they did, they'd usually be shortstops).

You're also not going to slot a left-handed fielder into 2B/SS/3B.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

what happens to a guy in Arb that has an injury that causes them to miss a season or seasons? Like Tyler Skaggs for example.

If he's on the major league disabled list, he will continue to accrue service time. He should not be arbitration eligible yet, though. He had a tiny amount of service time accrued coming into the season. Since he's a starting pitcher with upside, I don't think he has to worry about being non-tendered even if he were a super 2 since that's not a lot of money.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 11, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mornacale posted:

The order of defensive difficulty is C/SS > 2B/CF > 3B > RF > LF > 1B > DH. The further you get to the right, the larger the talent pool that could fill the position, and hence in theory the better the hitting should be. (In practice, ofc, not so simple.) Which means that as you go left, 1) great defense stands out more, and 2) poor hitting stands out less. That said, a smart team is going to consider their options as individuals: Hanley Ramirez is a hell of a SS even though he's not a very good fielder, and if your options at other positions are better than your other SSes, then that's where he belongs.

Bonus: 3B being in the middle of this continuum is why there are so few HoF 3Bs: they usually don't hit well enough to compare to the other corner players, but they're not really a "defense position" like middle infield.

So are the people calling Jean Segura a black hole for "only" hitting .236 just crazy then? Considering his defense, it seems like his hitting is perfectly acceptable, especially when the brewers have a gaping hole at 1B.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

So are the people calling Jean Segura a black hole for "only" hitting .236 just crazy then? Considering his defense, it seems like his hitting is perfectly acceptable, especially when the brewers have a gaping hole at 1B.

Not crazy at all. Maybe they're looking at him through a more relativistic lens than absolute, since last year he was an amazing offensive shortstop and this year he is not.

He doesn't strike out too much, never walks, doesn't hit for power, and steals merely at an okay rate when he does get on. He justifies a roster slot, but "acceptable" isn't really a good target to hope for.

A sub-.600 OPS is simply bad hitting. You need to be a fantastic defender to make up for that kind of lack of production, and he's merely pretty solid defensively.

e. he's a big better than "pretty solid" defensively, but still a phenomenally bad hitter this year.

Pander fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 11, 2014

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

.236 is bad for average, but average doesn't tell the whole story. He has an On-Base Percentage of .269, which is far more damning than the bad average. He's also adding very little in terms of slugging, so his OPS (Onbase Plus Slugging) is .592. That puts him at 147th of 150 for qualified batters, and 22nd out of 24 among SS.

Basically, "black hole" is pretty fair for this season. His BABIP is down 40 points from his career average/what you'd normally expect, so a small part of it is that he's just getting unlucky.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JoeRules posted:

Basically, "black hole" is pretty fair for this season. His BABIP is down 40 points from his career average/what you'd normally expect, so a small part of it is that he's just getting unlucky.

He has barely played 2 seasons over 3 years.

Career BABIP is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Jean Segura has a low BABIP this year because he's a bad hitter and has been outside of a hot start last season.

• Locked thread