Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cubs will be super fun and good this year, but they will never win a world series.

I'm okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Someone post that image of the wins Lester and Maddon provide

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

:allears: Thank you

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I don't really understand UZR, but it would seem like you could just break down the field into little squares or hexes (say 1 sqft) and then just determine relative range by how many squares a player regularly covers? I'm sure someone has thought of this but I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

edit - this could be greatly simplified by players just wearing GPS devices

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

:smith:

I need to look at historical projections. Usually I feel projections have the Mariners 2nd or 3rd and it's national beat writers that put the Mariners as a dark horse candidate to win the west and are always wrong.

It's entirely possible I'm just imagining the projection systems overrating them but it always seems like they do

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

bewbies posted:

you could just break down the field into little squares or hexes

I think this is the chart the analysts use for UZR

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I like all the projection systems that tell me that prospects I like are going to pan out hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

So I don't really understand UZR, but it would seem like you could just break down the field into little squares or hexes (say 1 sqft) and then just determine relative range by how many squares a player regularly covers? I'm sure someone has thought of this but I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

Statcast can already provide measurements for player movement down to the inch, it's not necessarily that we don't have the data, it's that I don't think anybody knows what to do it. How do you account for a fielder moving over a few feet for a certain batter? How are you going to weight different catches or route efficiency vs. raw speed?

EDIT: With nothing concrete to back that up I actually think route efficiency may end up being a pretty good quick and dirty way to judge outfielders.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2016

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The unnecessary commas in "Cubs, Being, Cubs" is somehow not the dumbest thing about that image.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Statcast can already provide measurements for player movement down to the inch, it's not necessarily that we don't have the data, it's that I don't think anybody knows what to do it. How do you account for a fielder moving over a few feet for a certain batter? How are you going to weight different catches or route efficiency vs. raw speed?
Well, the complete dataset is not available to the public. Teams have access to it however, and presumably at least some of them are using it to create sophisticated new defensive metrics that we'll never see.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: With nothing concrete to back that up I actually think route efficiency may end up being a pretty good quick and dirty way to judge outfielders.

Well, I *think* all of that pre-contact stuff would be covered by a simple binary: does (player) get to (ball), or does he not? It shouldn't matter whether the player gets to the ball through speed, anticipation, or smart positioning. I'd think that there are enough balls in play during a given year to say roughly that "all balls hit to all points average out in the end" such that you don't have to worry about the speed or trajectory of the ball, but perhaps this isn't true for very rarely hit points on the field.

The thing you can't really control for is when teams move players around the field, but even then you should get fairly consistent results within a given alignment.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FairGame posted:

The unnecessary commas in "Cubs, Being, Cubs" is somehow not the dumbest thing about that image.

I still can't figure out where they got the Maddon wins from or how a manager is as valuable than the two best players combined

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

NBA teams are already doing way more to evaluate much more complicated scenarios in terms of expected values of possessions and catching a fly ball has far, far fewer variables involved. If you ignore defensive positioning it should be relatively "simple" to create a baseline average outfielder in terms of which balls they get to in terms of the ball's speed and trajectory and evaluate players comparatively. I dunno, I'm not a statistician but if you can create models of expected points in a basketball possession that accounts for all the players on the floor and their positioning, modeling baseball defense should be way easier.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

bewbies posted:

Well, I *think* all of that pre-contact stuff would be covered by a simple binary: does (player) get to (ball), or does he not? It shouldn't matter whether the player gets to the ball through speed, anticipation, or smart positioning. I'd think that there are enough balls in play during a given year to say roughly that "all balls hit to all points average out in the end" such that you don't have to worry about the speed or trajectory of the ball, but perhaps this isn't true for very rarely hit points on the field.

The thing you can't really control for is when teams move players around the field, but even then you should get fairly consistent results within a given alignment.

You just invented zone rating which was the precursor to UZR.

UZR's "subzones" are designed to get around the distribution problem but the whole system has fallen apart recently with more and more dramatic defensive shifts. The only way these systems can be accurate is if you assume players totally control where they initially position themselves, and the exact opposite is what goes on in the modern game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

if they took out the cubs, being, cubs clause they would have almost nailed it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
CUBSINESS is too important a sabrmetric stat to ignore IMO.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Even the Cubs can't gently caress this one up"

-Words I have said several times in the past

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i want to know what magic johnson's 'losing is everything' take was

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Good loving lord I say this every year but I cannot wait for meaningless, unwatchable baseball

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrPossum posted:

Good loving lord I say this every year but I cannot wait for meaningless, unwatchable baseball

I am actually pretty jazzed to see some of the Yankee NRIs play, especially with MLB-quality camerawork.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
debbie downer cubs fans please vacate or at least have the dignity to admit you lost the faith when they actually win one this decade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

when they actually win one

:lol: ok

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Josh Hamilton's knee is acting up already and ST hasn't even started yet. The question is which of the Gallo/Mazara/Brinson trio will have permanently replaced him by May

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

debbie downer cubs fans please vacate or at least have the dignity to admit you lost the faith when they actually win one this decade

Yeah, my dad's response to the ESPN projection putting the Cubs at 100-62 was: "Pfft, only +3 wins with what we've added? They're undervaluing us." :smug:

I uh... I don't have that much faith, sorry.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Josh Hamilton's knee is acting up already and ST hasn't even started yet. The question is which of the Gallo/Mazara/Brinson trio will have permanently replaced him by May

At least the Rangers arent paying him this year.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weren't the Cubs seriously over-performing at the end of last year? I recall someone posting an article about how they were all playing above their heads and due regression, but I might be confusing them with the Mets.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Weren't the Cubs seriously over-performing at the end of last year? I recall someone posting an article about how they were all playing above their heads and due regression, but I might be confusing them with the Mets.

They had a 47-40 first half and a 50-25 second half, they also went 46-30 in the Central. You can probably expect slight regressions from the rookies + Arrieta (and injuries can throw a wrench into any plans) but in the end this is a 97 win team that on paper is still the #1 or #2 most improved team in the NL and if they play like they did in the second half that would be a ~106-107 win team.

They also play in a division where I think you could argue the other 4 teams are going to be worse on balance than last year. The Cubs went 38-19 against CIN/MIL/PIT last year and I think they can improve on that + get a winning record against STL.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

N: The Red Sox signed Carlos Marmol to a MiLB deal with a ST invite.

V: Marmol has already walked three and plunked two.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CubsWoo posted:

what level of MILB

I may see if I can Fisher Cats tickets so I can see him AA...or Spinners tickets a High A...

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

They had a 47-40 first half and a 50-25 second half, they also went 46-30 in the Central. You can probably expect slight regressions from the rookies + Arrieta (and injuries can throw a wrench into any plans) but in the end this is a 97 win team that on paper is still the #1 or #2 most improved team in the NL and if they play like they did in the second half that would be a ~106-107 win team.

They also play in a division where I think you could argue the other 4 teams are going to be worse on balance than last year. The Cubs went 38-19 against CIN/MIL/PIT last year and I think they can improve on that + get a winning record against STL.

lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Last year, no one was expecting the Cubs to do well, so they were playing free and loose and benefited from it. This year, EVERYONE is expecting them to win the division. The stage is set for them to collapse under the weight of the city's massive expectations. :negative:

I really don't want to be so pessimistic about their chances, but this franchise hasn't exactly given me a reason not to be.

Despite all my instincts, I'm excited as hell about his season, and I will be until they lose their first 8 games and then Arrieta, Bryant, Heyward, and Lester all are out for the year after a freak batting practice mishap or something.

I've been hurt so, so many times by this team in my lifetime, but I just can't seem to quit them. :(

Also I find it strange that the Cubs won 97 games last year, improved the roster greatly, have every single key player back, and now everyone is saying they won't win 97 again this year. How does that work? I mean, other than Cubs being Cubs.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 17, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Marmol is Back

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Retail Slave posted:

Despite all my instincts, I'm excited as hell about his season, and I will be until they lose their first 8 games and then Arrieta, Bryant, Heyward, and Lester all are out for the year after a freak batting practice mishap or something.

I've been hurt so, so many times by this team in my lifetime, but I just can't seem to quit them. :(

Also I find it strange that the Cubs won 97 games last year, improved the roster greatly, have every single key player back, and now everyone is saying they won't win 97 again this year. How does that work? I mean, other than Cubs being Cubs.

Regression toward the mean.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Arrieta regresses to a ~.500 pitcher, Lester stays a .500 pitcher (or David Ross dies in Lester's arms and he takes the rest of the year off for bereavement,) Lackey's 2015 was a fluke and he's a hothead clubhouse cancer #5 being paid like a #3, the rest of the staff performs to expectations. Heyward gets hurt playing 70% of the OF to cover for Schwarber and Soler being poor fielders, Bryant and Russell have sophomore slumps and the team sets a new MLB record for striking out by mid-August.

I'll still pencil them in for 85 wins or so.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

let's not forget the cubs were extremely lucky with their health last year. if one of those inside fastballs hits rizzo right in the wrist and lester starts to show his or arrieta proves last year's load was too much this division is a toss up

to this day i still don't know how a pitcher hasn't broken rizzo's wrist yet

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah it's probably not wise to expect to have 4 SPs each making 30+ starts every year

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Injuries screwed the Cubs last year, they were 5-3 and in first place in the division when their Opening Day 3B had to go on the DL and the team had to scramble to get some untested rookie from AAA to fill the gap.

They never made it back to first in the division after that.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Yeah it's probably not wise to expect to have 4 SPs each making 30+ starts every year

I don't think they'll need to this year. Wood started some last year, Cahill signed specifically to be stretched out for long relief/spot starts, Warren is much the same and Richard is also available to spot start.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 17, 2016

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Retail Slave posted:

I dunno, every pundit I've seen online says that the cubs are the team to beat :shrug:

Also, seconding the amazement at Rizzo's wrist not being broken. Such a strange stance.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Retail Slave posted:

winning 97 games is really hard to do especially two years in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The cubs are Really, Really Good but just due to baseball being baseball I feel the most wins you can reasonably predict a team to get is like ~93, unless a team is like truly generational like the '98 yankees or whatever

e: also going back to how people thought they were going to do last year I think "shoot for above-.500, maaayybe sneak into a wildcard" was the pretty universal sentiment

Monicro fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread