Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Are you guys going to look at any of the little short mini-episodes / extras (Meanwhile in the TARDIS, Night, Space/Time, Pond Life, various prequels / followups) that start appearing from now on? Some of them are pretty fun, and the first one (E: takes place after the first episode) is one of my favourite things to come out of the Moffat / Smith years.

Sorry son but you darn goofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: I edited it out, so perhaps the people complaining should also edit it out of their quotes?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 2, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a reminder that on this Saturday the 3rd at 6PM EST(3PM PST, 11PM GMT) , we will be doing an Eleventh Hour livewatch in the TVIV IRC! Come celebrate the start of the Moffat/Smith Era with Occupation! Come look forward to the moment Bown has a loving aneurysm! Tell all your horrible Who loving friends! It's sure to be a good time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I'd watch the minisode that takes place between the first and second episode after you've watched the second episode, and etc so on for later ones. They can sometimes kinda spoil the episode's cold open.

That said, you should definitely watch them. I'm sure you'll have plenty of people posting the relevant videos in here.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
He's watched all the other shorts and extended episodes so I'm not sure why he'd stop now. It's not like they're hard to find.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

• Donna Status: Owns

There is no such thing as a consensus opinion for Doctor Who fans, but if there was one, it should be this, because all those who disagree with it are soulless monsters who would kill you and your family in a second if they had the chance.

Edit: So basically the 10th Doctor in The Runaway Bride.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At what time exactly will the simulcast be tomorrow?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Someone braver than me needs to post the photo of Billie Piper and Matt Smith in bed together with absolutely no context given.

No spoilers for upcoming seasons in that spoiler text.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

At what time exactly will the simulcast be tomorrow?

Zagging posted:

Just a reminder that on this Saturday the 3rd at 6PM EST(3PM PST, 11PM GMT) , we will be doing an Eleventh Hour livewatch in the TVIV IRC! Come celebrate the start of the Moffat/Smith Era with Occupation! Come look forward to the moment Bown has a loving aneurysm! Tell all your horrible Who loving friends! It's sure to be a good time.

Gee I dunno.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There is no such thing as a consensus opinion for Doctor Who fans, but if there was one, it should be this, because all those who disagree with it are soulless monsters who would kill you and your family in a second if they had the chance.

Edit: So basically the 10th Doctor in The Runaway Bride.

Some people can't stand her because they can't get past their hatred for Catherine Tate, is my recollection, but they are wrong and should be hit with a brick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still remember everyone being absolutely goddamn crestfallen when it was announced she was going to be the full-time companion. Then of course she ended up owning

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Thread title updated for the livewatch tomorrow.

Please review the thread rules before we get going again, thanks! :)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Some people can't stand her because they can't get past their hatred for Catherine Tate, is my recollection, but they are wrong and should be hit with a brick.

It's never wrong to hate Catherine Tate.

But yes took me a while to get past that. Especially since Donna is very Catherine Tate-y in her first appearance.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Tate plays the role of Donna pretty well but can be way over the top in other roles indicates that there's probably good direction, but I do think some of it is that comedians can get pigeonholed into one-note styles of jokes that kind of make up their "brand" that's as much, if not more so, the fault of of the industry promoting them as it is the comedians themselves. It's particularly difficult for women in comedy, who already have to face the hordes of people who, in this august future of 2015, will still say, without irony, "I have never seen a funny female comic. All they talk about is sex and their periods."

This is not to say that disliking Tate's material is sexist, because it does often seem to be shouty and off-putting, just that there is a reason that particular brand of comedy is the one that rose to success, and it's as complicated and market-driven as anything.

Either way, Donna is great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry for the double-post, but this may have some sad implications for this thread. :(

Timby posted:

PSA: Both the classic series and the revival are leaving Netflix on February 1.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Catherine Tate is really sweet in real life.

My wife has that posted on her wall.

That said, her show got old really fast. My opinion is that it was hilarious for the first few episodes, but then she kept doing the same characters in the same situations making the same jokes over and over again. But Donna was perfect.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

That Tate plays the role of Donna pretty well but can be way over the top in other roles indicates that there's probably good direction, but I do think some of it is that comedians can get pigeonholed into one-note styles of jokes that kind of make up their "brand" that's as much, if not more so, the fault of of the industry promoting them as it is the comedians themselves. It's particularly difficult for women in comedy, who already have to face the hordes of people who, in this august future of 2015, will still say, without irony, "I have never seen a funny female comic. All they talk about is sex and their periods."

This is not to say that disliking Tate's material is sexist, because it does often seem to be shouty and off-putting, just that there is a reason that particular brand of comedy is the one that rose to success, and it's as complicated and market-driven as anything.

Either way, Donna is great.

She's really bad. And very stupid as well, as you will see if you ever see her being interviewed out of character.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but this may have some sad implications for this thread. :(

What's the source for this? I can't find anything on it and you'd think people would be freaking out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

What's the source for this? I can't find anything on it and you'd think people would be freaking out.

The main thread is saying now that this happens every year. Apparently it takes awhile for Netflix and the BBC to finish negotiating on the contract renewal, so it's likely it'll stay up, but we won't know for sure until pretty close to the date.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

marktheando posted:

She's really bad. And very stupid as well, as you will see if you ever see her being interviewed out of character.

You're ugly and you smell terrible.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

marktheando posted:

Counterpoint: Catherine Tate is awesome and her interviewing the Tennant was very hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBXB49zublM

It's from before her appearance in Doctor Who, so no spoilers.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Obviously, Toxx is going to have to rearrange his schedule. I count 56 episodes to catch up, and 29 days left in the month. I think 2 episodes per day is completely reasonable :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reminder to send in your guesses for Series 5 if you haven't! It's free and here's the stuff you could win!

For reference, that's:

BIT. TRIP BEAT
BIT. TRIP RUNNER
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
Portal 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Bastion
Papers, Please
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Super Meat Boy
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (<- one of Oxxidation's favorite games ever)
Spec Ops: The Line (<- one of the only war story video games I can tolerate)

and the grand prize for Series 5, Kentucky Route 0!

please enter, it's free! Also it'll incline you to not post spoilers, since that's literally the only way one can get disqualified!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

surc posted:

You're ugly and you smell terrible.

She is good in Doctor Who though. It's mainly just her own show that is horrendous.

Exhibit A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkjvagVsRI

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tate and Tennant did a very well-reviewed Much Ado About Nothing together, and she has substantial stage experience without Tennant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVKY6puKTPE

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Catherine Tate's good, her sketch show was just a bit stale. She's a very funny person and smarter than she lets on for the act.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tate and Tennant did a very well-reviewed Much Ado About Nothing together

I saw this, it was amazing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As I don't know her from anything else, I guess the takeaway is that Tate is a decent actress but a lousy comedienne?

It's not the first time it happened at an even greater reach. Jim Carrey's sketch comedy career on In Living Color isn't exactly genius, either.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Craptacular! posted:

As I don't know her from anything else, I guess the takeaway is that Tate is a decent actress but a lousy comedienne?

She's not a terrible comedienne as a performer, or writer, it's just her show relied far too much on catchphrase comedy. It would have been fine if she had new sketches every show, but it was the same punchline week after week. Admittedly, I haven't seen her show for years, so this is just going on memory.

I remember being really surprised she was going to be a companion to the Doctor - more than a few other people were as well, but she just seems to have this great chemistry with Tennant.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I have work tomorrow until 10pm (GMT), so you have until I get home, that leaves me ~ an hour to organise spreadsheets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Catherine Tate's good, her sketch show was just a bit stale. She's a very funny person and smarter than she lets on for the act.

Yeah, this is kind of what I mean about comedians getting stuck with a "brand." They basically get further and further pigeonholed into doing popular routines, characters and even personalities until all of their routine is catchphrases, and it ends up seeming like their personalities are just as shallow. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pesky Splinter posted:

It would have been fine if she had new sketches every show, but it was the same punchline week after week.

There have been a few British shows like this which I've always found really weird (Little Britain springs to mind), the only time it has ever really worked for me was in The Fast Show where somehow every week they would do exactly the same gags and yet I would just about die laughing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it was a sketch show thing for a while to just cultivate a stable of characters who the public loved and then do slight variations on the same jokes every week. Little Britain was a sensation because people latched on to the jokes and the characters to the point where it no longer mattered whether the material was original or not.

That Mitchell and Webb Look sort of broke the trend - even when its characters return, they have different jokes! - but Little Britain was like a cultural nadir for the sketch show as a genre and The Catherine Tate Show was operating very much in that style.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Train is still the best British sketch show.

(Oh, and Catherine Tate was in the second series of it, wasn't she?)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toxx, before you dive into a new season tomorrow, any predictions / guesses / speculation? As far as I can tell, you know as much going as the rest of us did, and I'm curious what you're thinking.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Just went through all the reviews. Articulate, well written, good points back up pretty well, I think I like this thread. Also I concur, Donna is awesome as gently caress. She compassionate, independent, an a incredibly great companion.

... Screw it, I have to say it. The only thing that now currently pops into my mind is that for some reason I want to see Toxx review the reboot/totally is own show Teen Wolf series. Maybe because I still have no idea how a cliche bad show cashing in on the Twilight craze became so...weirdly creative. In a dumb way of course.

But back to Doctor Who. It's pretty bad in some places, I do agree. But when it actually is good, I enjoy it immensely.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Little_wh0re posted:

I have work tomorrow until 10pm (GMT), so you have until I get home, that leaves me ~ an hour to organise spreadsheets.

Can you verify whether you got my email? I'm scared I messed something up :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I suppose it isn't unique to comedy. It's symptomatic of a larger problem in fiction, in which producers have become painfully, cogently aware that our nostalgia for the recognizable characters we enjoyed once or twice outweighs our drive to seek out new material, so that the lineup for the next ten years of film is laden with superhero and mega franchise sequels, reboots, gritty, more "adult" retakes, sly, self-aware, Whedonesque, tongue-in-cheek, "homage" modernizations, and so on forever.

Luckily, I myself am smarter than this ignorant trend. Now excuse me while I go off to listen to the radio dramas based on a goofy science fiction television show from 50 years ago and post in in the multiple threads devoted to the show. :v:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Logical1234 posted:

... Screw it, I have to say it. The only thing that now currently pops into my mind is that for some reason I want to see Toxx review the reboot/totally is own show Teen Wolf series.

I really want to see them go through Avatar: The Last Airbender afterwards, if they haven't seen it. I feel like it would probably be a similar journey of a show winning over skepticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thexerox123 posted:

I really want to see them go through Avatar: The Last Airbender afterwards, if they haven't seen it. I feel like it would probably be a similar journey of a show winning over skepticism.

Oh god, what have you done, he's never gonna shut up about the finale

• Locked thread