Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Rathgeber stating a lot of obvious things about the CPC's tight messaging control. Threw out a comment about the Duffy scandal as an example of the party's issues with accountability and transparency.

:suspense:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnfq60pLs8I

There's a baby crying at the same time as Baird is talking :v:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Dreylad posted:

I'm moving back to Ontario soon so I'm a bit out of the loop, but is "unelected Premier Kathleen Wynne" a thing? Because if so that's pretty gross.

Yes, but they always seem to forget Ernie Eves doing the same thing after Harris ran off.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh, if only more Tory MPs would go independent and ruin Harper's majority... :allears:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dreylad posted:

I'm moving back to Ontario soon so I'm a bit out of the loop, but is "unelected Premier Kathleen Wynne" a thing? Because if so that's pretty gross.

Yeah, it's a thing. Some people really don't want a Liberal government, and that's fine on its own, but they're really pushing any angle to exclaim just how illegitimate, in their minds, the current government is.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The "unelected and illegitimate" line gets trotted out every single time there's a leadership transition in the governing party. It's dishonest and disingenuous, but it's not particularly suprising or disgusting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
QP TIME

Come on, start asking about what Rathgeber said repeatedly.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Independent MPs: the best MPs.

quote:

Edmonton East MP Peter Goldring today is expected to hear a verdict today on a charge that he refused to provide a breath sample after a 2011 roadside stop.

Goldring left the Conservative caucus when his arrest was reported in December 2011. He currently sits an independent MP, a class of free agents whose ranks are one larger today with the resignation, for ethical reasons, of Conservative Brent Rathgeber.

If he beats the rap, Goldring hopes he’ll be allowed back into the Conservative caucus, he told me last month.

But should the invitation not be forthcoming, he said he’d be willing to consider joining Justin Trudeau’s Liberals in the House.

“I came here to work for Canadian unity,” said Golding, who was first elected as a Reform Party MP in 1997.

“The Libs are going to be on the rebound. If it came down to the Libs or Conservatives, there is not that much difference between the two of them.”

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Ouch.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

The "unelected and illegitimate" line gets trotted out every single time there's a leadership transition in the governing party. It's dishonest and disingenuous, but it's not particularly suprising or disgusting.

Not surprising, but it kinda twists the view of how we elect our political representatives. There's enough ignorance about how the government works already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
And here we go on Rathegeber questions.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ocrumsprug posted:

It is to a point, however the federal government isn't a business and should have no trade secrets or proprietary research that needs to be guarded. In fact, if they are doing research and not publishing it for public (corporate) consumption, then you should be probably be asking why they are bothering.

* Hopefully, no one in government notices that they could save a lot of money on all this muzzled research they aren't using anyways.

The Canadian government ddoes have proprietary research most of which has to do with unreleased research that may or may not have real economic viability or could cause damage to unfinish research.

We don't have trade secrets as such but unfinished science can cause serious damage.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Leofish posted:

Ottawa is pretty Liberal on the provincial level, which is always good for a laugh whenever Ottawa conservatives complain about Toronto liberals and how Dalton McGuinty (and now [unelected premier] Kathleen Wynne) are ALL THEIR FAULT! :argh:

Though, I have to say, I'm disappointed in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell's Grant Crack didn't run with the slogan "Get hooked on Crack!" Maybe this Rob Ford thing is going to soil that, now.

I"m leaving Jim Baird's riding to move to Poilievre riding, I"m sad.

Breaking up the old Glengarry-Prescott-Russell is one of the few moments out and out gerrymandering in Canadian history.

*I also double posted due to tabs*

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

sbaldrick posted:

I"m leaving Jim Baird's riding to move to Poilievre riding, I"m sad.

It is an honest tossup for me which of those two picks I found most obnoxious in my time in Ottawa.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnfq60pLs8I

There's a baby crying at the same time as Baird is talking :v:

Is John Baird ever *not* making this face?

e: It's hilarious to me how the CPC keeps trying to push that Angry Tom meme when this guy is Harper's right-hand man.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"Angry Tom" always struck me as a really weak smear to begin with. Most people who actually bother to vote these days are extremely pissed about something or other, so the idea that they'd be turned off by someone who is angry seems silly. Its sorta like how saying that Harper is an autocrat doesn't necessarily hurt him when the electorate is craving stability.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Helsing posted:

"Angry Tom" always struck me as a really weak smear to begin with.

To a casual, uneducated, uninformed voter it's incredibly effective. Easy to find pictures of him looking angry and menacing. Think not in reality but in Conservative smear campaigns.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I thought Kinsella came up with the Angry Tom thing? Either way, it's dumb as hell.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

To a casual, uneducated, uninformed voter it's incredibly effective. Easy to find pictures of him looking angry and menacing. Think not in reality but in Conservative smear campaigns.

Unless the anger can somehow be framed in a way that makes it seem dehibilitating to his performance I'm not convinced its a very effective attack. Compared to greed, incompetence, stupidity, weakness, cowardice or lack of resolve I really don't think its a terribly effective way to characterize your enemy.

I could be wrong here. Happy and cheerful politicians are often very effective, and obviously it would be best for Mulcair if he could avoid the "Angry" label. Its never good to get smeared in politics. But of all the attacks one could imagine being used against the leader of the opposition, "He's Angry!" just doesn't seem like a great one. As I said before, I think a lot of Canadian voters are already pissed off about something so hearing that someone is "angry" isn't necessarily a big turn off.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Helsing posted:

As I said before, I think a lot of Canadian voters are already pissed off about something so hearing that someone is "angry" isn't necessarily a big turn off.

Sure they are. But a lot of those angry voters are already planning to vote for the party with the foppy pretty boy because they can't stand the NDP and the other part of those angry voters are angry about stuff the Conservatives support so they'd be more than happy to call Muclair an angry, annoying whiner.

The NDP appeals perfectly to the Internet message board poster. They've failed almost every time to appeal to the average Canadian voter. It took the Liberal Party being led by the worst loving candidate ever to get their Opposition and unfortunately for the NDP, Trudeau has far more appeal.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Which is funny because the top page of results in GIS for John Baird have a lot of images of him angry and yelling at someone, whereas a lot of the images I find of Mulcair are of HAPPY TOM!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The NDP appeals perfectly to the Internet message board poster. They've failed almost every time to appeal to the average Canadian voter. It took the Liberal Party being led by the worst loving candidate ever to get their Opposition and unfortunately for the NDP, Trudeau has far more appeal.
It actually appeals to a lot of other people too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's true that the NDP's support in a lot of quarters right now is uncertain, but before the 2011 election who could've foreseen the NDP surging up to official opposition status? They may be due for another surge by the time the next election rolls around (which is still a long enough time into the future that anything could happen), or it might turn out to be a flash in the plan as Trudeau ascends in his role as Liberal savior, or maybe we're all due for another long term of Harper.

With the vivid example of polling failure we've just seen with BC, it's hard to say with any authority what kind of support each party has right now.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

sbaldrick posted:

The Canadian government ddoes have proprietary research most of which has to do with unreleased research that may or may not have real economic viability or could cause damage to unfinish research.

We don't have trade secrets as such but unfinished science can cause serious damage.

Almost all of the research that was prompting muzzling concerns was coming out of DFO or Environment, and was largely published work (eg. Kristi Miller's work was published in Science, which was why she was giving comments to journos, when she was muzzled). The notion that there's some kind of legitimacy to the actions of the feds here in preventing damage from "unfinished science" is extremely tendentious- it's not even clear to me what "finished science" means, science is definitionally never finished.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

The Dark One posted:

Since the courts have stopped the federal government from merely shutting down safe injection sites, the Conservatives are relying on local NIMBY mentalities to keep them from being opened:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/06/06/pol-safe-injection-site-legislation.html

Oh sure, now they want data

quote:

Describing the need for the clinic including scientific evidence of a medical benefit, relevant data on drug use, infectious diseases, overdose deaths and drug-related loitering, as well as any relevant official reports.

And by the way, this is the email the Conservatives sent out today

quote:

Do you want a supervised drug consumption site in your community? These are facilities where drug addicts get to shoot up heroin and other illicit drugs.

I don’t want one anywhere near my home.

Yet, as I write this, special interests are trying to open up these supervised drug consumption sites in cities and towns across Canada — over the objections of local residents and law enforcement.

We’ve had enough — that’s why I am pleased the Harper government is acting to put the safety of our communities first.

Today, the Harper government introduced tough new rules that will give local law enforcement, municipal leaders, and local residents a voice before a permit is granted for a supervised drug consumption site.

The Trudeau Liberals and Mulcair NDP are against us. They want to repeat the experiment of Vancouver’s Insite facility across the country — maybe even in your community.

Because of the tough rules the Harper government introduced today, your voice will now matter.

Add your name if you demand a say before a supervised drug consumption site is opened close to your family.

Sincerely,

Jenni Byrne
National Campaign Manager, 2011

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sure they are. But a lot of those angry voters are already planning to vote for the party with the foppy pretty boy because they can't stand the NDP and the other part of those angry voters are angry about stuff the Conservatives support so they'd be more than happy to call Muclair an angry, annoying whiner.

You're missing my point. I'm not trying to suggest that painting Mulcair as angry will somehow cause more people to vote for him, I'm just saying its a really weak way of attacking him. For comparison, I think the framing of Ignatieff as opportunistic and unprincipled or the framing of Dion as weak and incompetent were both much more effective when it came to damaging their electoral prospects.

quote:

What exactly is "the average Canadian voter" in your mind? We aren't really a homogeneous enough country for that to be a particularly useful concept.

As far as being effective, the NDP has appealed to a substantial portion of the Canadian populace and has been instrumental in implementing the modern healthcare system that most Canadians seem to believe is a pretty fundamental value.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In totally unrelated, and bizarre, news, the Competition Bureau has charged Nestle and Mars, along with a large distribution network, with price fixing. Hershey would have been charged too, but they cooperated with the investigation and are expected to plead guilty.

Maybe the telecomms industry can be next.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Maybe the telecomms industry can be next.
About that.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS INC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. GLOBALIVE WIRELESS MANAGEMENT CORP. ETC.
THE COMMISSIONER OF COMPETITION v. SHAW COMMUNICATIONS INC.

All filed today.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Helsing posted:

As far as being effective, the NDP has appealed to a substantial portion of the Canadian populace and has been instrumental in implementing the modern healthcare system that most Canadians seem to believe is a pretty fundamental value.

Ah right, when was that? In the last 30 years?

Of course they appeal to a substantial portion of the Canadian populace. They did become the Opposition Party. But if you are actually denying that the NDP's tactics of broadening their image to the average Canadian who might actually vote them in as a minority leader has been quite mediocre, I don't know what to say. Muclair is a fun attack dog in Parliament but I'm sure to Conservative so is John Baird. NDP needs to do a much better job selling themselves to Canadians. "We did better than the Liberals once" isn't exactly praise you can take to the bank.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Ah right, when was that? In the last 30 years?

Of course they appeal to a substantial portion of the Canadian populace. They did become the Opposition Party. But if you are actually denying that the NDP's tactics of broadening their image to the average Canadian who might actually vote them in as a minority leader has been quite mediocre, I don't know what to say. Muclair is a fun attack dog in Parliament but I'm sure to Conservative so is John Baird. NDP needs to do a much better job selling themselves to Canadians. "We did better than the Liberals once" isn't exactly praise you can take to the bank.

Not much in the way of options right now to be honest especially for the left leaning out west.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Whoa, that's surprising. I'm guessing they've been investigating for a while?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

There is a God.

gently caress you Rogers. :argh:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Mister Macys posted:

There is a God.

gently caress you Rogers. :argh:

Wonder why they haven't hit up Bell or Telus..

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

It's true that the NDP's support in a lot of quarters right now is uncertain, but before the 2011 election who could've foreseen the NDP surging up to official opposition status? They may be due for another surge by the time the next election rolls around (which is still a long enough time into the future that anything could happen), or it might turn out to be a flash in the plan as Trudeau ascends in his role as Liberal savior, or maybe we're all due for another long term of Harper.

With the vivid example of polling failure we've just seen with BC, it's hard to say with any authority what kind of support each party has right now.

Problem is as an NDPer for a longtime I know plenty of people that don't find direct fault with the NDP specifically but don't support them because. "They can't govern and they'll never win."

Of course, the Conservative party had the same issue and they went through a lot of mental gymnastics to tell you they were Canada's Founding Party (tm) and all that.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
Uh :stare:

PM's former chief of staff controlled secret Tory fund

quote:

CBC News has learned that Stephen Harper’s former chief of staff, Nigel Wright, had control of a secret fund in the Prime Minister’s Office when he cut the now infamous $90,000 "personal cheque" to disgraced Senator Mike Duffy.

In exclusive interviews, sources familiar with the fund tell CBC the money in it comes from Conservative Party coffers, and at times has reached almost $1 million.

Like all political party funds, more than half of all the cash in the secret PMO stash ultimately comes from taxpayers' pockets. Individual donors to political parties receive generous tax credits. Parties also receive millions from taxpayers through a per-vote subsidy, which is being phased out by 2015.

Sources tell CBC that Harper's chief of staff — to date, there have been four, including Wright — has exclusive signing authority over the fund, which was set up in the PMO when the Conservatives came to power in 2006.

Its existence has apparently been a closely guarded secret for the past seven years, even within the Prime Minister's Office. Only a few Conservative insiders know how the PMO cash stash has been spent.

The fund is completely off-limits to the auditor general and even Elections Canada, which monitors party finances.

The only oversight outside the PMO appears to be the five-member board of the Conservative Fund of Canada, the party’s fundraising arm and source of the money in the clandestine account.

There's more detail in the article but wow, this has been a ridiculous few weeks for the CPC.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Stephen Harper posted:

Uh :stare:

PM's former chief of staff controlled secret Tory fund

There's more detail in the article but wow, this has been a ridiculous few weeks for the CPC.

Wait isn't this basically just a somewhat inflammatory story trying to tell people about party coffers? Or is it sort of like earmarked funding in the US? I think this is a bit of piling on but I suppose this can be construed in a more inflammatory way.

My bet this doesn't really become a story. I thought pretty much everyone knew this existed in every party.

Yea I suppose \/ that being said its used for things that could be construed as partisan that the party and PM don't want the government to pay for. It's also a bit disingenuous to say its half the publics in an attempt to skew the optics. It is half public in that through voter subsidy most political funding has public cash in it. Anyway, ill be interested to see if/when this becomes spoken about in other media outlets.

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2013

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Wait isn't this basically just a somewhat inflammatory story trying to tell people about party coffers? I think this is a bit of piling on.

According to the article this is the first time a party has done something like this.

quote:

There's nothing illegal or particularly new about a prime minister and his staff using party funds for partisan and even personal purposes — and stirring up a hornets' nest of political controversy in the process.

Brian Mulroney was relentlessly hit with stories of Progressive Conservative Party funds being spent on everything from home furnishings to his wife's clothing. John Turner caused a firestorm in his own Liberal ranks when it was revealed the party was paying for an upscale apartment in Toronto used mainly by his wife.

And of course the Liberals under Jean Chrétien will forever be tarred with the image of party bagmen exchanging envelopes stuffed with cash in the sponsorship fiasco that ultimately ran the Grits out of office.

But no one in any of those past administrations contacted by the CBC this week could recall any kind of secret fund in the Prime Minister’s Office.

One of Chrétien's former staffers recalls: "When we had expenses that were clearly partisan — like sending our staff to a party event, for instance – we just sent the bills to the party. It was all pretty above-board."

One former Conservative staffer says he recalls the fund being used for some polling and staff travel to a party event.

Elections Canada says there is nothing illegal about some party funds being moved into a secret stash and spent on just about whatever the chief of staff decides.

As one Elections Canada official puts it, outside an election period, a political party "can toss a million dollars into the organ grinder's hat if they feel like it."

One of the other issues is that this money can apparently be invested, and there's something fundamentally unsettling about a secret government stash of money being handled by a former Bay Street man while he works in the executive office.

Stephen Harper fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2013

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Mulcair's grilling of Harper was fun while it lasted, unfortunately the first minister of our responsible government won't be making himself available for Question Time again until September at the earliest.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Wait isn't this basically just a somewhat inflammatory story trying to tell people about party coffers? Or is it sort of like earmarked funding in the US? I think this is a bit of piling on but I suppose this can be construed in a more inflammatory way.

My bet this doesn't really become a story. I thought pretty much everyone knew this existed in every party.

It's pretty loving weird that one guy controlled the fund exclusively. He could have written himself a $90,000 cheque to cover the Duffy bribe anytime he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I didn't think it was particularly scandalous that the Conservatives have a rainy day slush fund. Plenty of other things to get up in arms about right now.

Bookending the "trained seal" clip from Rathgeber with Chris Alexander on a panel was entertaining television.

• Locked thread