Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Couple screenshots I found from an old WL1 run.

Felicia parts :3:

Jackie :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought pugilism was one of those skills that didn't actually do anything?

There's also some gambling trick with the slot machines at an early game area and a character with decent gambling/luck isn't there, like having them with 18 luck and several points in to gambling, and just playing a cheapass slot machine to build both luck and gambling to the point where you're just churning out money?

I figured as much but have been having bad luck with my gambler. She has a luck of 16 and Gambling of 3, I'm guessing I should build her luck up a bit?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I didn't realise the bottom 3 characters were NPCs the first time I saw this screenshot (I never actually played Wasteland, only the Bard's Tale games) but it still pains me every time I see it that the bottom 3 aren't Rod, Jane, and Freddie.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I didn't realise the bottom 3 characters were NPCs the first time I saw this screenshot (I never actually played Wasteland, only the Bard's Tale games) but it still pains me every time I see it that the bottom 3 aren't Rod, Jane, and Freddie.

I could have cloned them, but :effort:

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

chiefnewo posted:

Another way if you can't find a working editor is to get something like Cheat Engine. Fight enough to get a level up, then use Cheat Engine to locate the memory location for the points you get to distribute to your character. Lock it and you can just add as many points as you want to your characters stats. Or you could use it to find the location of your characters' XP, then alter that to be some huge number. Radio in and spend 5 minutes pressing spacebar while you are levelled up all the way to Supreme Jerk.

I also figured out they did not fix a very very easy way to get as many levels as you want

You head to Quartz and find the back entrance to the secret hideout. It looks like a dead end section of road between 2 buildings. Once inside you use a rope to get to the higher level, kill the sniper, and then run up and down the glass wall that mentions seeing shapes below. You will know you are in the right place if your party starts to gain Perception levels (it caps out at level 3). Make a macro and just run up and down the wall for as many character Ranks as you like. Even though you are not in combat you are gaining experience for "perception" attempts and can very quickly get all your characters up to 50+ CON and 20+ in all stats.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I also figured out they did not fix a very very easy way to get as many levels as you want

You head to Quartz and find the back entrance to the secret hideout. It looks like a dead end section of road between 2 buildings. Once inside you use a rope to get to the higher level, kill the sniper, and then run up and down the glass wall that mentions seeing shapes below. You will know you are in the right place if your party starts to gain Perception levels (it caps out at level 3). Make a macro and just run up and down the wall for as many character Ranks as you like. Even though you are not in combat you are gaining experience for "perception" attempts and can very quickly get all your characters up to 50+ CON and 20+ in all stats.

What. :stare:

God drat I wish I had known this back in the day when I decided to grind a character as far as possible to see how high the military ranks went. All those hours spent making a zillion copies of disk 3 and murdering mooks in the Vegas sewers...

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Largepotato posted:

Couple screenshots I found from an old WL1 run.

Felicia parts :3:

Jackie :black101:

This LP was the joint biggest reason (alongside very fond memories of Fallout 1+2) that I backed this game at all because I never played Wasteland originally. How many years ago was it now and does it still exist anywhere? It predated the LP forum and lparchive.org by some distance I recall.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Getting kevlar suits and chainsaws from the black market in Darwin and farming Shadowclaws in the abandoned mine is also good exp. Bring a pick ax and mine the silver deposits several times to increase the encounter level.

e: you may need to use metallurgy before the pick ax can be used.

Fwoderwick posted:

This LP was the joint biggest reason (alongside very fond memories of Fallout 1+2) that I backed this game at all because I never played Wasteland originally. How many years ago was it now and does it still exist anywhere? It predated the LP forum and lparchive.org by some distance I recall.

It would still be in the lp forum archives, but all the screenshots would be long gone.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 12, 2013

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Ah shame, it's become a new LP category a Text Only LP.

Still, thanks for the enjoyment I had reading it at the time. :)

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Since there were never enough pics, here's one of RB's Desert Rangers belt buckles that I've been sporting since it came in.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't realize I'd get a Wasteland 1 key for backing the other game, awesome, is there a way to get it to run in windowed mode? Its not in settings.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Reason posted:

Didn't realize I'd get a Wasteland 1 key for backing the other game, awesome, is there a way to get it to run in windowed mode? Its not in settings.

Someone else told me to use Alt-enter which works but, you have to do it everytime you launch the game. I think there is a switch cmd that you can add to the exe but, I haven't been able to play recently to try anything.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Any way to fix the mouse cursor in game? It's simultaneously stuck in mud and all over the place.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 14, 2013

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
For those folks with Windows 8.1 and mouse/touchpad issues, go here and run this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

Make sure to follow the directions at the bottom of that page to extend to other games. I ignored that at first and the update did nothing. Do the regedit and cmd rundll32 and then reboot, and your mouse should be fixed. This fixed this issue with me.

Now to try to figure out how to edit the resolution so I can play full screen instead of black borders all around.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

davecrazy posted:

Any way to fix the mouse cursor in game? It's simultaneously stuck in mud and all over the place.

Turn off mouse acceleration.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Tried both options, neither of them worked.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

bloodynose posted:

Since there were never enough pics, here's one of RB's Desert Rangers belt buckles that I've been sporting since it came in.

:)

I'm glad to know that when I die, something I designed will be out there, somewhere, covered in belly sweat.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

davecrazy posted:

I know this is late and all, but...

My issue with the mouse is that horizontal mouse movement is a lot faster than vertical and it makes it really tough to point at stuff. Windowed mode doesn't help, neither does disabling mouse acceleration.

I think the problem has to do with the game's aspect ratio. The original game ran in 4:3 but the re-release is running at 16:10. This isn't because the game is using new assets, it's because InXile didn't flag the Aspect Ratio Correction option that's typically available in DOSBox. Perhaps the mouse trouble will be corrected when they get around to patching the game.

epmode fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 18, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

epmode posted:

I think the problem has to do with the game's aspect ratio. The original game ran in 4:3 but the re-release is running at 16:10. This isn't because the game is using new assets, it's because InXile didn't flag the Aspect Ratio Correction option that's typically available in DOSBox. Perhaps the mouse trouble will be corrected when they get around to patching the game.

[quick edit: If I recall, the game cursor was tied to a joystick in the original game. Mapping it to the mouse in DosBox and seeing this behavior is pretty much expected for me]

WL.CONF

code:
# When run with Wasteland, this file gets copied to:
# %localappdata%\inXile entertainment\Wasteland\wl.conf (Windows 7/8)
# C:\Local Settings\%USER%\Local Settings\Application Data\inXile entertainment\Wasteland\wl.conf (Windows XP/Vista)
# ~/Library/Application Support/Wasteland/wl.conf (OSX)
# ~/.wasteland/wl.conf (Linux)
# where you may EDIT AT YOUR OWN RISK
You know you can edit those options?

The aspect was already set to true on mine. I set it to false and it actually seems to look better? Idk. But the mouse doesn't change. I did change mouse sensitivity to 70% and that helps.

Also, you can set windowed mode directly within there.

I found all this out right after my prev post here.

EDIT: Thought I'd add this...

Since I am always in windowed mode I couldn't ever get out of mouse capture mode. CTRL-F10 is standard DosBox key but A) it didn't work and B) it's tied to a macro recorder in Wasteland

Also, CTRL-F9 will shutdown the game - so if you try to record a macro to F9 it'll also close the game.

If either of those bother you, create a shortcut to wasteland.exe and add the switch "-startmapper" and it'll give you the key mapper. If you are familiar with dosbox you'll notice many dosbox command keys missing right off the bat.
First, change shutdown command to CTRL-ALT-F9 by selecting the "shutdown" box, then select the "mod2" box option (mod1 is ctrl and mod2 is alt) and hit "Save"

it will create a key mapper file in the same location as that other config file. Edit away as needed.

I've tried adding
code:
hand_capmouse "key 291 mod1 mod2"
and it fails to add mouse capture control. Running the mapper again still doesn't show it as an option so it must have been removed and I have no idea how to get it back.

So, Brother None? maybe they can put at least mouse capture back in as an option for us windowed users?? It's a pain hitting alt-enter twice just to switch to doing something else.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 18, 2013

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Did anyone actually get their J!NX t-shirt?

I am about to move cross-country, as I seem to do twice a year, and I kind of expect the shirt to show up at this address the moment I leave. Though obviously I can have things forwarded.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It would be really cool if there was an iOS version of Wasteland.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Quarex posted:

I am about to move cross-country, as I seem to do twice a year, and I kind of expect the shirt to show up at this address the moment I leave. Though obviously I can have things forwarded.
I actually got mine today (Denmark), and it's officially now my Nerd Shirt #1.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Quarex posted:

I'm kind of regretting going the extra boxed copy instead of the shirt. I could have worn the shirt, but the extra boxed copy is just going to waste space, and I doubt my unopened Wasteland 2 collectors box is going to be worth thousands of dollars in the future.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quarex posted:

Got mine about a week ago (Sweden), so it doesn't look like geography is a (fully) deciding factor because these things tend to take ages to get here.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
I got mine a while back. I think you should have yours by now Quarex. Feel free to gimme a mail or PM if we need to figure it out.

Y'all see this?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
An Ion Beamer seems a touch overkill from some raiders and feral dogs. :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Largepotato posted:

An Ion Beamer seems a touch overkill from some raiders and feral dogs. :v:

Ain't no kill like overkill, son. :clint:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Energy weapons are cool.

I don't think the targeting UI looks great but it also looks placeholder. The icons on it are nigh undecipherable because of how small they are, though the low res screenshot doesn't help. The tiny red ui elements next to the targeted raider are even worse (red really does suck for readability).

What's the white icon thing next to the rock the raider's behind? A grim reaper inside a shield?

The rest of the UI is shaping up really nice.

Also you're breaking tables with the image.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
BN, you should use [ timg ] instead of [ img ] when linking pics.

Also the red numbers next to the green bar are barely readable, at least in that screenshot. (Just nitpicking, of course.)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I forget if it's been said, are called shots going to be a thing we can do?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Brother None posted:

I got mine a while back. I think you should have yours by now Quarex. Feel free to gimme a mail or PM if we need to figure it out.

Y'all see this?

In my imagination (and in the old Fallout PNP game where I ripped off all the Wasteland guns for the first edition) the Ion Beamer was more like the Ghostbuster's backpack, not that wimpy little thing.

:smith:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

quote:

Raider paws the ground aggressively

Are these raiders werewolves or furries or something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brother None posted:

Y'all see this?

For my two cents, with that particular shot I have a hard time reading the word "Raider" at a glance, the two red numbers on the right are illegible (is that 02? 82?), and while I can see the yellow numbers just fine, I can't tell what the blue icons are supposed to be. Perhaps make everything about 20-25% bigger so their contrast matters more?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lotish posted:

For my two cents, with that particular shot I have a hard time reading the word "Raider" at a glance, the two red numbers on the right are illegible (is that 02? 82?), and while I can see the yellow numbers just fine, I can't tell what the blue icons are supposed to be. Perhaps make everything about 20-25% bigger so their contrast matters more?

I was thinking they need a touch of shade behind them, like how Civilization does city names, but yeah, 'raider' and the red numbers are pretty illegible.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Quarex posted:

I got my shirt, but they only sent one. Seems they forgot I made a 2,800 donation for the goons, then one for myself at $100. I'm sure I'll sort it out, not sure they got a lot of people doing more than 1 donation so it is probably a fringe example.

I gotta organize the prizes and stuff and start working on handing out goon prizes. Going to do a mix of arts and craft style stuff, but right now if anyone would like any Wasteland Style Christmas cards, send me your mailing address (outside of US might take some time to ship) but I'll send out some christmas cards with hand drawn stupid stuff or shrinky dinks from wasteland or if you want, gross dick pictures. State your suggesting rating level when you contact me!

Email: axemaniac@somethingawful.com or just PM me here

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Feel free to send me a message through the Ranger Center or support or whatever axeManiac, I'll look into getting you sorted, it is indeed an unusual case

On to news:

quote:

Today’s screen shot shows an interior view of the central complex which is heavy on atmosphere and flows much differently than the outside locale. To answer your next question…feeling very confident beta will be within 2.5 weeks. -Brian Fargo

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is it just me, or do the last couple screenshots seem really blurry, like they've got a heavy DoF effect applied or something?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I was just thinking the same thing. Really blurry, not very nice.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Yeah, I'm getting a lot of blur too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Fintilgin posted:

Is it just me, or do the last couple screenshots seem really blurry, like they've got a heavy DoF effect applied or something?

You can toggle off DoF in the game.

• Locked thread