Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SpeckledJim posted:

Bit disappointing in my opinion. I'm a big Game of Thrones fan, but I'd much rather have had season 2 of TWAU greenlit than that godawful Episode 1 of the Telltale GoT series. Likewise season 3 of TWD. TWAU just seemed so much more interesting to me, I dunno.

I'd be alright with playing through the entire storyline in Fables the comic book. Just give me some choices and i'll be happy.

(up until the actual end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I can imagine Season 2 would be tough. They've already used up all the chases! (I'm referencing the fact that in the comics, Bigby mentions that he could count the number of times he's chased a suspect on one hand, so they were required to limit chases in TWAU to 5 at the most.) Stupid? Yes. Very stupid? Also yes. These guys need to be free of continuity!

Alright. Well, it was FUN AS USUAL. So I hemmed and hawed about getting this recorded. I did actual work at work, I spent my evenings playing Baldur's Gate 2 with Mzblunderfund (that LP's still live, incidentally! Updating is crazy ha ha wheeee). It took him taking off one one of his many indolent pleasure cruises to get me to actually record the thing.

Anyway. Here you go. If you really wanted us to kick in a door, now you can see us menace a little girl. Somehow, even knowing that she was secretly Auntie Greenleaf didn't make it easier on me. I HATE being Jerkby! If you're not feral, you're just snide and petty. Blech.

Um, one note on the episode: I break Jerk one time. There's a character we meet in this episode that we don't in the others, and I decide to at least be sort of not the jerkiest to get the most info possible. You can get all the relevant details with punches, but you get less background. You're not missing much. The Tweedledeath was gorier than I'd imagined it would be, but I guess that's not surprising.

:eng101: Weregild is that thing that Neruz said below, instead of the dumber thing that I said! I still think it's an appropriate and cool title, and that I'm cool for using it.

The writing in this game is really good, as evidenced by how much I dislike being a jerk. Case in point: I managed to be purest blackest evil in Fable without a second THOUGHT. I mowed down villagers like there was no TOMORROW. Actually, that gets me thinking. I've played shooter games too, you guys. I've played Grand Theft Auto. I've hogtied a nun in Red Dead Redemption and dragged her around. Ok, I feel bad about that one. Ish. But nothing like this. This game is excellent evidence for the argument that video games do almost nothing to blur the distinction between game and reality for people, unless they're both a) trying to do so and b) very good at their craft. You know why I don't blanch at murdering dozens and dozens of people in, say, Max Payne? Because it's over the top and wacky. I'm here to tell you, if they had kids in Saint's Row, I wouldn't quit and re-load every time I ran over one when I was tearing around on a custom-built cement truck. Sorry, kid.

But seeing Fake-Rachel-Auntie-Greenleaf stumble backwards and apologize in a panicked voice, or seeing Flycatcher be genuinely afraid of us? That bothers me, pretty viscerally. I literally didn't record this episode for like a week because I was dreading doing it. Because Bigby's story is so contained and small. I feel like a guy with a lot of power in various domestic and semi-domestic situations. It feels like I'm making a choice to menace people, not just clearly RNG "people" in Liberty City or whatever, and it doesn't feel that many steps away from being an actual violent abuser. I haven't really had any problem in my life at all with violent males, my dad never lost his temper at me or mom (I mean he'd shout at cars or whatever), but I've known enough of it through friends and acquaintances that physically violent domestic-abuse type tough guys are just really repulsive.

This, incidentally, is the biggest problem I have with Telltale being beholden to canon. Bigby is a character in the comic, and he's not universally hated by everybody, so there's only so far they "can" make people react to Jerkby. I like to think they'd have pushed much further if they were able. Even now, everybody we're around hates and fears us. Snow should be running the complete opposite direction, we should be FIRED. To the extent that they show those consequences, I have no problem with the portrayal of Jerkby. By all means, allow people the freedom to live out the power fantasy. Show what comes of it. We're Bloody Mary in this playthrough. Fables literally aren't any better off with us and Snow than they are with TCM. It's the fact that they kind of have one hand tied as to the consequences that bugs my britches.

Anyway, there's new info to be gleaned, and recording Starewolf will be a splendid palate-cleanser. In fact, I think I'll do it now.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 21, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Weregild is blood money. Weregild is Old English for 'man price' and it literally means the price of a person's property or life. Weregild shows up a frequently in the 'grim' modern fantasy settings like the Dresden Files and it is typically paid by the guilty person as restitution for the death of a person to said person's family.

Weregild as an appropriate compensation for crime started being replaced with Capital Punishment around the 9th century until it was almost gone entirely by the 12th, which is why you probably haven't heard of it before outside of fiction or old stories; Weregild shows up in Beowulf and Grendel's refusal to pay the appropriate Weregild for his killings is one of the reasons why he is considered an unrepentant monster.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 21, 2015

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Neruz posted:

Weregild is blood money. Weregild is Old English for 'man price' and it literally means the price of a person's property or life. Weregild shows up a frequently in the 'grim' modern fantasy settings like the Dresden Files and it is typically paid by the guilty person as restitution for the death of a person to said person's family.

Weregild as an appropriate compensation for crime started being replaced with Capital Punishment around the 9th century until it was almost gone entirely by the 12th, which is why you probably haven't head of it before outside of fiction or old stories; Weregild shows up in Beowulf and Grendel's refusal to pay the appropriate Weregild for his killings is one of the reasons why he is considered an unrepentant monster.

In Sweden, Weregild, or Mansbot as it was called, was still a thing as late as 1743, when Sweden's first official lawbook was created. (I am not sure how much longer it was a thing, since I can't find any sources on that without reading through ever edition of the lawbook since then.)

By 1734 capital punishment had replaced mansbot and blodshämnd (blood-retribution, the duty of the victims family to kill the murderer) as a punishment for murder, but in cases of accidental or negligent manslaughter it was still a thing, although it was paid to the king instead of the family. The culprit was in most cases in addition to the weregild sentenced to "kyrkoplikt" or church duty, mandatory attendance at church.

edit: I just realised I spent an hour researching that. This LP leads me to interesting subjects.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Why am I not surprised one of the lands of the Vikings still had Weregild until at least the mid 18th century :v:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Ummm... who's the character we meet in this episode that doesn't appear in the others? I've watched through all of it and can't think of anyone new.
Also, did you skip a part of Crane's appartment? seems to me like there was still at least the answering machine to click on when you faded to Tweedles' office.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

What I meant was meeting with Jack - we didn't go to Crane's in the other playthrough.

Also! I actually DID hear the answering machine playing - that was weird. It's just Mary saying "Crane, if you don't pay up I'll have to come down there. Think about if that's something that you want."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bacter posted:

What I meant was meeting with Jack - we didn't go to Crane's in the other playthrough.

Also! I actually DID hear the answering machine playing - that was weird. It's just Mary saying "Crane, if you don't pay up I'll have to come down there. Think about if that's something that you want."

I don't recall any meeting with Jack when I watched the LP?

And it did cut out oddly in Cranes office..?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yeah, we didn't meet anyone at Cranes and it cut out oddly, almost mid-sentence. I think you need to double check the video Bacter.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Look, something happened, and it's TOTALLY unexplainable (sweat sweat sweat).

Ok:

So HERE'S what we MISSED

and HERE'S the BoF for this chapter, little more info here!

Starewolf is recorded and getting cut up! Then: onward!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 24, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Is it possible to find Greenleaf faster than we did on our first try and thus to catch Crane while he's still there? Seems like Crane's appartment-> Trip trap is the fastest way to get the necessary information.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Unfortunately, no. You're always late - put it down to travel times I guess?

So this is by far my favorite Starewolf. Just because a) people are starting to notice and get irritated, and 2) the time he tries to get into the Trip Trap. Hope you love it like I did!

Edit: If you don't want to watch the whole thing, start at 12:40 for the door.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 25, 2015

cabman567
Aug 15, 2010
Do the fight scene choices ever have any significant consequence?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, you can frequently die. Also, you can kill Dum, that'll have some consequences - and future fights are totally fair game for anything. If you mean does a fight go better or worse, then I think so far not. It's usually just "survive" or "die".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bacter posted:

So this is by far my favorite Starewolf. Just because a) people are starting to notice and get irritated, and 2) the time he tries to get into the Trip Trap. Hope you love it like I did!

It's a real pity how well that works, considering how well written the interactions are in all other respects in this game, especially in the good guy run. I think they would have done the game a better service by slapping a GAME OVER in your face after 5min of ... FOR BEING A SOCIALLY AWKWARD DUMBASS GOOD JOB IDIOT. I think that'd put you on edge even more when you're trying to do this properly and the clock is ticking.

And holy poo poo what an amazing game! Thanks a bunch for this, can't wait until next good guy episode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The problem with slapping GAME OVERS in there for undesirable behavior is that there's no clear line on where to put where not to put them - and then you're in Roberta Williams territory and headed towards Instadeath Quest at a rapid pace.
Plus the starewolf gotta be popular with teenagers who still think sulking is the poo poo. Y'know, the FFVIII crowd.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Aka the FFS crowd.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I usually discover great LPs long after they are finished which means I can binge through them and get instant gratification. I hate the waiting game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, I hate to make people play the waiting game!

So, as is my custom, I've got a lot to say about this chapter that I'll leave off on for a few comments. But know that they are positive thoughts - I'm a really, really big fan of how this part is shaking out. It's just pretty rare to have a genuine, in-party conflict that doesn't feel stupid or forced. It's not like one of these characters should just say the one obvious thing that will sort out all the problems, there is a genuine ideological difference at work here, and they're really pushing you to take sides. Of COURSE nobody is advocating to give in to the CM, and of COURSE nobody thinks Crane's government was perfect, but, you know, what does a good government look like?

Alright, enough of that, because it's VOTE TIME!!

This is another good vote, on account of how both options make sense. I'll lay out the choices in the open, and the reasons for picking each choice in spoilertags. You won't miss much but there is some episode-specific information as to why we might go with one or another, so watch the episode first then vote.

WHERE DO WE GO FIRST, MY DROOGS:

Hans' Butcher Shop

-or-

The Lucky Pawn

Butcher Shop: We've seen several packages with the Crooked Man's logo on them addressed to the Butcher, and further we know Mary is involved there. Beast has been a courier, and we know the packages went between the Tweedles and Auntie Greenleaf. That's enough to know this place is up to something.

Lucky Pawn: Jack is active there, and we'd like to know more about his sources. Woody's axe was there, and Mary had it, so she's got to run there too. Numerous people have referenced getting loans there, or selling things there, AND it sounds like Jersey, who is apparently a legbreaker for the Crooked Man, runs the place. Getting info out of him could be a top priority.

Obviously, if you've got other ideas as to why and where to go, feel free to mention them in the comments, and no need to spoiler anything.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2015

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I vote to go to the butcher, partly because I want to see Jerkby go to the pawn shop.

Also, I noticed in the last Jerkby video that Gren had both arms. Does he regenerate the one that got torn off, or is that even addressed?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Please don't take this as an endorsement to go to the pawn shop first (or as an anti-endorsement!), but I'm really excited for you guys to meet Jersey. There must have been a temptation to satirize Jersey Shore with him, and what they did... it's just so much better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking we should go to the pawn shop anyway. If TCM is anything he's cracked up to be, he'll be able to cover his tracks efficiently there. Meanwhile, going after the pawn shop could give us another angle at his whole network.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I vote for the pawn shop, mainly because I want to see the Jersey Devil for myself. And uh, there's important evidence there too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You're right, Beauty and Beast lose a lot of sympathy in this one. Look at that place! I am not an interior designer, but I can see one creaming his pants after taking a look of their apartment.

But they do show off one big problem with the Fabletown government: for the man (or Beast or pig or whatever) on the street the Crooked Man is just the better option. I am not 100% sure of when TWAU takes place but it's evidently not an economic paradise, since finding a job is clearly a problem for most Fables; so people have no choice but to turn to dishonest means to pay the bills. This must be doubly hard for Fables who are not used to human mores.

When I was writing this Flycatcher and Toad came to mind: both people that used to live in wealth, but aren't (as far as I know) as desperate for money. Thet aren't well off, certainly, but they have jobs and a roof over their heads (I assume Flycatcher does, at least). So yeah, I can see someone going "you made your bed, now you gotta lie in it" on them.

Still, I think the decent thing to do is provide them with as much protection as we can... which is admittedly not very much. I doubt we have anyone that can reliably watch over them, especially against the likes of the Tweedles and Bloody Mary.

And after that fairly long and mostly obvious post, I am going to vote for the butcher's shop, mostly because I want to know what's up with those packages the Crooked Man is sending around.

E: uuurgh but i also want to know what's up with the Jerset Devil

I stand by my vote but I am so sorely tempted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Still, I think the decent thing to do is provide them with as much protection as we can...
From what we've seen so far, my bet would be on black marget glamors. Greenleaf can't have been the only one and there has to be a distribution system if he wants to get them on the street without compromising his witches.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know we WILL be going to both places - going to one means the other will be altered, not that we won't get anything there. Again: not an endorsement.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stop the Crooked Man's counterfeit meat operation, and you smash his entire power base. Hit the butcher shop first.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Since when I played the game I went to the butcher first I have to vote for Lucky Prawn

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pawwwwn Shop

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Butch it up!

Are we keeping track of inconsistencies? Because there are a few that the game seems suspiciously intent on ignoring, despite being very good at explaining them in most other cases, showing Planescape Torment style that the PC has already worked it out, in "unused PC dialogue options" and the like. But then there's these few things.

Because I'm not convinced we've gotten the full story on what went down in Faith's hubbie's squalor shack. Dee said the dude shot himself when he was there, but wolfschnoz tells us that was a week ago, and Dee had no drat reason hiding in a closet for a week. Plus there was a bloody dagger on the floor that noone gave a drat about. Of course he could have stabbed himself some, dropped it on the floor and healed I guess, but still there's a missing week in there, or a missing gun, becuse then someone must have switched guns, maybe to fool us he shot himself a week ago.

And why aren't they paying any attention to the lip sealing ribbons? Supposedly these girls get killed for what they know, and Wolfbrain has has a floor full of leet witches that should be able to lightning bolt them right off, case closed. Or if that don't work, who makes them? Go sit on that cheeky git Georgie and pound his arse flat until he gives you the manual of untying. Also, they're just Red Tape, or a fable version of an NDA. That should be right up Snow's alley, should be able to talk them right out of them garments.

e: And they have just discovered that it's possible to glamour someone into looking like Snow White. Why are they not concerned with checking that bloody Snow White is bloody Snow White? Why are they not checking that Blue Beard who is supposed to be on vacation on another continent is actual Blue Beard before letting him plow through evidence and beat up witnesses? And who is that goddamned green monkeyparrot anyway?

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 27, 2015

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Go to The Butcher's. A lot of people know the Lucky Pawn is a front for the Crooked Man, but he and his posse probably don't think their other front is as vulnerable as it is, now that Bigby was clued in by Beast.

Plus the butcher's looks like it can be "trashed" more readily once the Man figures out Bigby's not down for the count.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Go to The Butcher's. A lot of people know the Lucky Pawn is a front for the Crooked Man, but he and his posse probably don't think their other front is as vulnerable as it is, now that Bigby was clued in by Beast.

Plus the butcher's looks like it can be "trashed" more readily once the Man figures out Bigby's not down for the count.

Agreed. This is solid reasoning.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Let's get some meat at the butchershop

get REAL beefy bitch

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Some odd characterization there. I think you're supposed to be contemptuous of B&B but its almost farcical how out of touch they are.

The weird thing is Snow, in that I thought she was supposed to be smart. She mentioned being in a 'war', and she wants to send people to the farm? Wouldn't those people be helpful in the city? Sure not Colin or Toad necessarily, but a guy like Gren could be helpful to have around in a war.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or she's in shock and having a knee-jerk reaction phase? Or she's powertripping now that Crane is gone and she can finally do it her her way.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I actually took what she said at face value: she feels that defeating the Crooked Man by crooked means isn't really a victory, because it means that we are no better than him. She is tired of backroom deals and lax enforcement of rules, she said so in the very first episode.

Plus she has no reason to kick Gren out, since he's got a glamour.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Couple more thoughts after a full watch as opposed to skimming through:

-I really wish we could chat up Swineheart. He's gotten off with Faith's head and we haven't heard anything about that since. Body, glamor, what is going on there?
-I'm still suspecting Snow of foul play. She could've made a deal with TCM to get rid of Crane when someone blew open the whole can of heads.
-I like Colin more and more. He's a loose cannon but you can say tell he's fond of Bigby - and he's his victim in his fairy tale. This is one more reason why I'm not suspecting Bluebeard of murder - fables can change, here's the proof. Financial shenanigans, however, totally - but he's way too up there to deal with TCM, I think.
-RIBBONS. At this point, I'm fairly sure they're the murder weapon unless the vorpal sword suddenly pops in somewhere. I'll take another stab - the girl that first greeted us when we came to the club is the fable in question: she seems to be in charge, we've seen her comforting Nerissa, she does the whole talk about the place, likely she's if not on Georgie's level then definitely above the common working prostitute. Why would they do it if she wasn't needed - for the ribbons?
-Beauty and Beast... are very well characterized. Ironically enough, their whole crisis and obvious mishandling here honestly just says human to me. They're stupid but you can tell that they really care about each other - massive props to the script and the VAs here. Beast actually comes out as (kind of) understandably overprotective.
-Could someone fill a non-American in on the Jersey Devil? I vaguely remember seeing some documentaries about a NY chupacabra but that's about it.
-I still think this needs to be the pawn shop. I kind of doubt that TCM would leave any operation Beast knows about running by now we've all been seen near the Open Arms. The pawn shop, on the other hand, is a plausible legitimately shady business, there's gotta be tons of evidence lying around there. Plus maybe Jack went there to offload the poo poo he stole from Crane's apartment (we didn't go there in this run, did we?).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 27, 2015

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Some odd characterization there. I think you're supposed to be contemptuous of B&B but its almost farcical how out of touch they are.

The weird thing is Snow, in that I thought she was supposed to be smart. She mentioned being in a 'war', and she wants to send people to the farm? Wouldn't those people be helpful in the city? Sure not Colin or Toad necessarily, but a guy like Gren could be helpful to have around in a war.

Less so than you would think. I've had a landlord say to me with the utmost sincerity that it was important for me to pay rent on time, because they'd not be able to pay for the duplex otherwise... while standing in front of a brand new boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

-Could someone fill a non-American in on the Jersey Devil? I vaguely remember seeing some documentaries about a NY chupacabra but that's about it.

There's not much to it--just a vaguely Baphomet-looking flying critter that people have claimed to see in the vicinity of New Jersey's Pine Barrens.

• Locked thread