Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Radish posted:

The inverse of this is I really want to play Captain Sonar with eight players since that sounds amazing.

I heard about this at our club meet last weekend and really want to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop are cutting ties. Farewell to Conquest, Forbidden Stars and Talisman.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I would have just burned the house down because I loving hate Monty Python at this point in my life.

By the end of the game I think everyone hated Monty Python.

eclipse posted:

Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop are cutting ties. Farewell to Conquest, Forbidden Stars and Talisman.

:eyepop:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

eclipse posted:

now we just need to destroy the remaining copies

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Radish posted:

El Estrago Bonito is right, Love Letter really is the one to go for if you want a quick, light card game but it caps out at four players.

Also Coup. That caps at 6 I think.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

eclipse posted:

:rip: Games Workshop having anything good

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bistromatic posted:

now we just need to destroy the remaining copies

I think you mean bury them in New Mexico

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder if its GW getting upset over the Star Wars stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SynthOrange posted:

I wonder if its GW getting upset over the Star Wars stuff.

Probably more likely GW wanting to distance themselves from the growing Asmodee giant. Asmodee wants to play on the same field as Hasbro, Mattel, and Lego, and swallowing GW and its IP whole would be a very useful step in that direction.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

2nd Ed Dark Heresy was the last FFG 40k roleplaying game released, was it good?

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 9, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The companies have been scuffling behind the scenes as to what constitutes a "miniatures game," because part of their business deal involved FFG staying out of that arena while they published things with the warhammer licenses. Since the release of Imperial Assault there's been tension.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bistromatic posted:

I heard about this at our club meet last weekend and really want to give it a try.

Yeah I just don't ever see me having a chance since eight people is a lot for something that looks nichey and kinda complicated. I can dream... :allears:

eclipse posted:

I know we all knew this was the case but it's still such a bummer. FF has done so much more with both Fantasy and 40k (and treated both with more respect) than GW has for years. Conquest isn't that old and they had kits for store tournaments planned, they just released a few on that list, and it sounds like Forbidden Stars had an expansion all but ready to print so this must have happened in a REAL hurry. I'd really like to know what brought this on since I'm sure FF would have been fine to just continue printing out stuff with that license. Does GW really think their recent board gaming turds are being undercut by Fantasy Flight or something.

The hidden game in that list is Fury of Dracula since most people don't know that's a GW license. BUY THAT GAME before you can't.

Helicon One posted:

2nd Ed Dark Heresy was the last FFG 40k released, was it good?

I like it. It's really got a lot of crunch if that's your thing. It's sad they won't be releasing any support for it since it's young and they haven't done a whole lot yet. The one I got had poo poo binding and has fallen apart so I should see about getting a replacement before they shutter the doors on that totally.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You'd think X Wing dethroning 40k would be a greater issue, considering GW's mindset.
E: ^ Do this. FoD is pretty good. Now I need to see if the 3rd edition is worth buying.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well poo poo.

I'm looking forward to a bunch of amazing FFG sales on Feb 26th though.

E: Weren't licenses a highpoint of the annual report? WTF GW?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

You'd think X Wing dethroning 40k would be a greater issue, considering GW's mindset.
E: ^ Do this. FoD is pretty good. Now I need to see if the 3rd edition is worth buying.

It is. It cleans up some stuff and the combat is better. I like 2nd as well but it's different enough that I would get it especially if they are not going to be sold ever again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the upcoming Rune Wars must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, since the game preview pretty much stepped right into the the toes of GW's market share. Oh well. I think this is pretty bad for FFG but worse for GW.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think FF will be fine since the Star Wars license just prints money but yeah it's not something I think they wanted to happen. GW is notoriously short sighted so I don't see how losing this is going to be good for them. Fantasy Flight is pretty much the only way I (and a few people I know) interact with that brand after their miniature games have fallen off the rails so I guess I'll be done with them totally. They basically abandoned the ranked miniature game so I don't really see Rune Wars as THAT big of an issue. I bet Fantasy Flight started working on that when Age of Sigmar became a thing because they figured it was different enough. I'd REALLY like for someone to leak what happened behind the scenes because this sounds like the rug got pulled out under someone but that's probably unlikely.

I have huge doubts about GW being able to make board games that are half as decent as the ones Fantasy Flight put out. Say what you will about them, all those games have a lot more going for them than the poo poo that GW churns out in order to get people to buy $100 boxes full of models to sell on eBay. Like there's no way a game such as Fury of Dracula will be put out from GW. It requires way too much play testing, game design knowledge, and only has FIVE HIGHLY DETAILED MINIATURES.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 9, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Everyone should play Battletech.

Alpha Strike has totally rejuvenated the local scene, it's a good ruleset

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Considering the fact that there were release schedules/support for Warhammer games up until the announcement, this does appear to be something sudden/something that hadn't been planned by FFG.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

E: Weren't licenses a highpoint of the annual report? WTF GW?

Mostly from videogames I'd have thought.

Tekopo posted:

I think this is pretty bad for FFG but worse for GW.

FFG is a subsidiary of Asmodee, they'll find new licenses to print games for and be fine.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tekopo posted:

Considering the fact that there were release schedules/support for Warhammer games up until the announcement, this does appear to be something sudden/something that hadn't been planned by FFG.

I dunno, content pipelines are long. The first rumors about this started because Conquest playtesters haven't gotten any new cards in months.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

I dunno, content pipelines are long. The first rumors about this started because Conquest playtesters haven't gotten any new cards in months.

From what I gather it sounds like GW started heavily threatening to remove the license somewhere between six months and a year ago meaning that it wasn't worth their effort to start new stuff and anything being released in the last year was planned from before that.

I have pretty much the entire Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition product line in my closet so maybe this means it will finally be worth something after they liquidate their stock.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 9, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Mostly from videogames I'd have thought.

FFG is a subsidiary of Asmodee, they'll find new licenses to print games for and be fine.
Of course, but GW stuff must have been a pretty nice earner for them. They'll be fine in the long term.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

eclipse posted:

gently caress. I really enjoyed Warhammer: Invasion (though it was already dead anyway).

Big shame about the 40k line of RPG's though, since from what I understand they were well-liked generally speaking, warts and all. At least RPG's don't just completely die when they go out-of-print like tabletop wargames or card games generally do.

Now thinking more and more about getting into Imperial Assault though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 9, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

rip conquest. I didn't buy any of it but my friends loved it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress they've removed everything from Drivethru RPG. I REALLY wish they would have let people know that's a lovely way to handle that.

Normally I don't support piracy but I hope someone has those PDFs archived somewhere. That's a big loss.

This is honestly really sad for me. GW killing off Fantasy and basically going up their own rear end in a top hat in 40k was something that you could kind of pretend hadn't happened if you just play the board games and RPGs. Really Fantasy Flight losing that license means it's totally dead because gently caress GW isn't going to do gently caress all with anything other than loot the corpse of their own IP.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 9, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Radish posted:

Normally I don't support piracy but I hope someone has those PDFs archived somewhere. That's a big loss.

Pretty sure the internet has you covered there somewhere, buddy.

But yeah, them pulling the PDFs immediately (they did it a few days ago) is kindof a scumbag thing to do, considering they'd have probably sold a good amount more of them between now and February.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Drone posted:

Pretty sure the internet has you covered there somewhere, buddy.

But yeah, them pulling the PDFs immediately (they did it a few days ago) is kindof a scumbag thing to do, considering they'd have probably sold a good amount more of them between now and February.

Yeah I just don't really know where to look since I don't like downloading those as opposed to paying for them. Of course if I CAN'T that makes it difficult. :shrug:

They really should have left that poo poo up so that people had a few months to buy them. I know some stores that still have stuff but I don't have shelf space for tons of modules and stuff for their four different 40k systems.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This is a bad day for consumers in general but I am kind of glad that this means we'll see less of the lovely warhammer IP everywhere.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Impermanent posted:

This is a bad day for consumers in general but I am kind of glad that this means we'll see less of the lovely warhammer IP everywhere.

Actually it's probably the opposite. Look at app stores to see tons of lovely GW licensed mobile games. FF was probably the best handlers of that IP outside of a few gems on PC like Vermintide.

GW is either going to try and make their own stuff (which will be terrible as they don't know how to design RPGs or games) or license it out again and who knows who will get it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hopefully the "full run" of Conquest is in a reasonable state so I can just buy up what I'm missing and not be stuck in a AGoT / Netrunner state of always being behind.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It's weird that Chrononauts is so good when Fluxxxxxxx is so bad. Chrononauts is loving hysterical.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Well, guess I can wait til an inevitable clearance sale to pick up the warhammer quest card game now.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Well, guess I can wait til an inevitable clearance sale to pick up the warhammer quest card game now.

It's good but we found it seriously difficult. Failure spirals are a thing.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

glitchkrieg posted:

The only really difficult bit about it is learning all the different models and variants for each faction you'll face, but as long as you're playing with good people who explain who somebody is and what they're equipped with, it's not too tough to pick up. All the factions choosing weapons/skills mostly from the same list really helps too, instead of having to remember different equipment for every different faction.

It's literally the rules that all public info like weapons and what they do needs to be explained to your satisfaction if you ask. If someone won't tell you this you can safely write them off as someone you never need to engage with again.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

the upcoming Rune Wars must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, since the game preview pretty much stepped right into the the toes of GW's market share. Oh well. I think this is pretty bad for FFG but worse for GW.

I'd guess they didn't start on Rune Wars until after they already knew the license wouldn't be renewed. I'd betthe split notice was last year around Gencon, as that was the last time they announced any GW related product/expansions. Warhammer Quest was announced and then promptly went dark for a year.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Taear posted:

They'd be really expensive to post, the boxes are huge.

Most 'hams got more money than sense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

miniatures make your baby stupid

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

miniatures make your baby stupid

new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, seeing as FFG has the Star Wars license and has mostly competent designers, I am pretty sure they are going to come out on top of this. It will probably hurt to lose the GW IPs, but if nothing else they can go back to plumbing public domain stuff like Lovecraft for some more games or whatever.

Meanwhile GW doesn't seem to have any coherent designers left in their stable, certainly not on the boardgame front, and are probably just going to continue doing nothing with all the IP that they had passed to FFG to develop anyway.

I hadn't played the 40k RPGs in a while, but they were the only way I was really willing to engage with the setting any more given how the game has gone. It's not like I am going to follow them back to GW now, but I probably will keep an eye on FFG and whatever else they make moving forward.

• Locked thread