Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
The general feminism thread is a ridiculously hostile environment, something I specifically addressed in my thread.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gau posted:

The general feminism thread is a ridiculously hostile environment, something I specifically addressed in my thread.

Oh well.

That sucks. I liked your thread :smith:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm super disappointed. I mean, shutting down the thread just because the shitlords MIGHT infest it in the future shows a... well, to be honest, a pretty realistic lack of faith in humanity.

But it seems to me that fighting against that exact resignation in the face of ugliness is the whole point of what that thread is supposed to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems like feminism and minority issues within tradgames is its own special problem. I don't think linking a Reaper Sophie miniature is going to have any resonance whatsoever outside of here.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Tendales posted:

I'm super disappointed. I mean, shutting down the thread just because the shitlords MIGHT infest it in the future shows a... well, to be honest, a pretty realistic lack of faith in humanity.

Posters manifesting a terminal case of point-missing had appeared by the end of page 2.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tendales posted:

Well I'd hate to point something out but there have been at least one very disturbing cases of "I'm going to rape you" harassment in this forum itself so there are plenty of creepy people on this forum.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
That's kind of my point, though. I know it's all naive and idealistic and yadda yadda, but letting the creepy people determine what we can't talk about sounds super lovely to me.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been listening to an actual play podcast of 4E from 2009. What's funny is that its from people who have never played an RPG before, let alone Dungeons and Dragons. One of the guys keeps favorably comparing it to WoW which considering the grognard backlash is amusing. He's using it as a good thing though.

I think this is good for the hobby, seeing more people get in to it. Dungeons and Dragons, being the most well known RPG is sort of the ambassador for role-playing. It needs to be as accessible as possible for the good of all of the other games, even the groggy sexist retroclones that were made as a response to 4th edition.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Tendales posted:

That's kind of my point, though. I know it's all naive and idealistic and yadda yadda, but letting the creepy people determine what we can't talk about sounds super lovely to me.

I guess if they legitimately don't have a mod who is willing to be responsible for looking after the thread there's not much they can do. It seems mildly crazy that it's impossible to keep that sort of discussion inside the lines but if no-one is willing to take it on that doesn't leave much room to manuver.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do any of the mods even read TG without reports being submitted or what.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like to think that this recent outpouring of misogynist bullshit is the death throws of the old guard. They've realized their hobby's trenches are overrun by new fresh blood, and reverting to their basest xenophobic instincts.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Drox posted:

Zorak's posted in a couple of threads, yeah.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Drox posted:

I want to say that Kepuh does because he thread banned Zak S within five seconds of him posting.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
from both a player and Dm perspective I prefer that the relative strength of a creature or character be something you learn about as you play. I also like it when veteran players pretend not to know the specifics of a monster they may have fought using other characters when they are using a new character or playing one of their hirelings or henchmen.

I think there's enough metagaming going on in this hobby as it is I am not going to get on board with an idea that basically tells the players how tough an encounter is. Some of the fun in playing D&D for me and my friends is taking risks and overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds. If you want to play this way then go right ahead but please don't make me and those who like the mystery of a new creature have to play that way too.

Use in game techniques to instill fear such as rumors and legends and horror stories. Sometimes a well told lie is easily more effective than a game mechanic to impart the danger or lack there of in your players.

Last time I looked D&D was a role playing game. From my perspective that means pretending to be someone who lives in a setting, interacting with the people and places around them. sometime you have to fight things, sometimes you go looking for a fight, but D&D isn't a combat simulator no matter how hard the designers of the last version tried to make it one. Play your ignorant pretend self as if everything in the world can and will kill you and don't worry about whether you should run away or stay and fight.

Oh, and don't name your character until 5th level.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

quote:

Mostly I just want 5e to take the best of all prior editions and cobble together a fantastic D&D experience. I want that to the degree that I hope they restrain themselves from introducing too many new rules or elements that don't hearken back to at least one (but ideally more than one) prior edition.

BUT!

Here is a request for something that fits with D&D (IMO, YMMV), but has been somewhat conspicuously absent (or tacked on).

What I'd like is for the gravity of the threat to be at least somewhat intelligible to both players and their characters.

In my opinion, it's good game design to include elements and foes that the player characters can't defeat (yet) unless they're truly lucky (and foolish). However, in most of D&D it is not always obvious whether the tentacled monstrosity is cr 5 or 25...and whether players need to fight or run. Similarly, there is the element of the npc (or any statted, leveled humanoid) who might be level 1 or might be level 20. Just how impressed/intimidated/likely to die, is something I'd like for my player characters (or at minimum, players) to be able to gauge.

Now, I'm not saying that there couldn't be trickery involved, with a high level sorceror posing as a peasant (or somesuch). I also don't want to entirely remove the mystery. And yes, description of the monster or the NPC, including gear, is a tool, but not a great one.

So...what I'm asking for is a way for characters to gauge whether an encounter or monster or npc is: likely easy, likely a fair challenge, likely a boss fight/difficult challenge, beyond their capability (but they might get lucky), or auto death (attacking Orcus at level 3 when he's undisguised and apparent...but even when players just see "a fat demon the size of an ogre" and they COULD defeat the ogre).

Thoughts? Am I missing existing mechanics for this? Are there unseen problems with this that I'm not noticing?
This isn't WoW!

What do you wan't next?
All creatures walk around with 20 ft wide neon nameplates in case you don't know the name of unknown creature?

You have your knowledge checks.

If no one in party doesn't have them? Too bad. Run away or charge and see how it goes.

You can also roll sense motive/insight if you interact with high level character that is disguised as a beggar.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
By using knowledge checks, they demonstrate that they are pathetic dissociated-mechanic WoW button-pressing babbies who are ruining the hobby. There's no "chance" involved in knowing something, you either know it or you don't, therefore it's dissociated, therefóre it's evil, like the word "story". The true roleplayer would gauge monster strength through long it takes to kill 10 hirelings.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gau posted:

Oh well.

Three cheers for FYAD, making SA more of a loving shitheap one thread at a time.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
poo poo guys, a bunch of idiots are totally going to come into your thread and spout horrible misogynist garbage.

What? Ban them? Ahahaha no.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Three cheers for FYAD, making SA more retarded one thread at a time. :downs:

Mornacale posted:

poo poo guys, a bunch of idiots are totally going to come into your thread and spout horrible misogynist garbage.

C'mon it's Something Awful guys. FYAD posters are the pinnacle of good posting.

Rasamune posted:

This isn't WoW!

What do you wan't next?
All creatures walk around with 20 ft wide neon nameplates in case you don't know the name of unknown creature?

You have your knowledge checks.

If no one in party doesn't have them? Too bad. Run away or charge and see how it goes.

You can also roll sense motive/insight if you interact with high level character that is disguised as a beggar.

Helping your players not die/do dumb things? That's dumb babby game poo poo. D&D Isn't Your Nanny State, OBAMA!

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Helping your players not die/do dumb things? That's dumb babby game poo poo. D&D Isn't Your Nanny State, OBAMA!
There is one monster from old-school D&D that I consider the standard-bearer of Gygaxian Brutalism, and a key point in my argument that if roleplaying games hadn't been such an amazing idea, Gygax would have successfully killed the hobby before it began. And I say this as someone who kind of likes old-school D&D, at least in the BECMI flavor.

I don't even remember the name of the drat thing, but it was a worm. It attacked by crawling into your ear. It lived in the locks in doors.

Gygax invented a monster and put it in his game purely to gently caress over players who were taking him at his word and carefully listening at every door before opening it.

Frankly I'm surprised there aren't stories of players giving Gygax an rear end-kicking now and then.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

isildur posted:

I don't even remember the name of the drat thing, but it was a worm. It attacked by crawling into your ear. It lived in the locks in doors.

Ear seekers.

My impression is that Gary Gygax took a long time to fully understand what he created when he made D&D: at first he didn't really get why people got attached to their characters and identified with them instead of seeing them as expendable game pieces. There are articles from him expressing gentle bewilderment at the idea that people would want to play-act as their characters.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thuryl posted:

Ear seekers.

My impression is that Gary Gygax took a long time to fully understand what he created when he made D&D: at first he didn't really get why people got attached to their characters and identified with them instead of seeing them as expendable game pieces. There are articles from him expressing gentle bewilderment at the idea that people would want to play-act as their characters.
It was all over the place back then. Some people were doing what we mostly think of as roleplaying today, and some people were playing themselves, literally just themselves, but in a fantasy world*, and some people were playing medieval lemmings where sometimes they bothered naming the lemmings and sometimes they didn't. It varied from table to table or even week to week, and nobody ever really bothered to categorize the different styles or even just write any of this down in a coherent fashion. So thirty-whatever years later, people are grabbing random old bits from gaming supplements with contradictory playstyles that happened to get preserved by time and declaring them all to be totally essential and the one true way to play, now and forever.

*Which is why a lot of the old NPCs are just some player's name spelled backwards, or with the letters rearranged.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

*Which is why a lot of the old NPCs are just some player's name spelled backwards, or with the letters rearranged.

Or "Melf".

E: A most worthy 3000th post.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Ear seekers.

There's a story about Gygax running a tournament for a bunch of different groups at one of the early Gencons. He would DM an adventure he created, and whichever group made it the farthest won. The whole tournament was supposed to run for 8 hours or so, but he was finished after two. Every group but the last died immediately to the first trap: a "wall" of shadow in a narrow hallway in front of a pit. The last group made it past and Gygax declared them the winners. But Gary was confused as gently caress; his group would have never died to such a simple trap.

People were just playing a different game with his rules.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Rigby, Digby, Higby, Bigby, and Zigby. The grand original mages. You've heard of the one who lasted the longest before dying and being replaced with Figby.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Thuryl posted:

Ear seekers.

You know, it isn't even the brutality that bothers me. I can understand the appeal of a game that's a meat-grinder, if it's written carefully to reward strategic play and resource management. I've had this urge to write a 4e game that pushes right to the edge of what is possible with an optimized group, to create a kind of sustained panic, where you just can't imagine how you're going to be able to get through it all. Like Knizia's Lord of the Rings.

What gets me about the ear-seeker (thanks for that) is that it subverts training that Gygax specifically gave his players. He taught them to listen at doors before breaking them down, and then put a monster in to kill them if they did that.

It's like the thing in Tomb of Horrors. (I'm going to spoiler this because if you haven't played Tomb of Horrors, and you can find some sick fucker to run it for you, it's a fantastic lesson in the design goals of 1e.) There are three pit traps in a row. You fall into the first one, maybe the second, but definitely spot the third and avoid it. And walk into an unavoidable death trap, because the real exit was in the third pit.

Building content by hiding information from the players, intentionally exploiting their player expectations to kill them off ('it looks like an ogre!'), and training them to act in certain ways so you can ultimately kill them... is so particularly Gygaxian that I wouldn't think even the groggiest of OD&D grogs would be able to get behind it. It isn't D&D. It's weird sadism.

(And yet, of course, I'm wrong; I know there's someone out there who thinks the ear seeker is cool, and disguising Orcus as an ogre in your flavor text is hilarious.)

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

isildur posted:

(And yet, of course, I'm wrong; I know there's someone out there who thinks the ear seeker is cool, and disguising Orcus as an ogre in your flavor text is hilarious.)

The people who thought stuff like the ear seeker was cool were Gygax's players. By all accounts his games were an escalating arms race of what gets called "player skill" nowadays (knowing your GM) and Gygax's hellish deathtraps. Gygax's players would kick the door to a room open and kill all the monsters, taking their treasure. The next time they try it, there's an immensely difficult monster on the other side, and some characters are killed when they try to escape. Next time, they listen at the door, Gygax describes the sound of something huge on the other side, and the players skip it. The NEXT time, someone puts their ear to door, ear seeker kills them, and so on, and so forth, and eventually we get The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

And yet, we have the story of the cleric class being created because Gygax let someone in his group play a vampire and someone else wanted to kill it. Did the man just have a funhaver phase, or were the death traps the anomaly? Or maybe the vampire thing was his realization of a player's true weakness: the other players.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Whenever you hear about someone having fun in those early games, it's either an accident or because of Dave Arneson.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mornacale posted:

I don't actually see FYADs doing this all that often, as opposed to a combination of getting offended by specific positions/propositions, implicitly declaring that pop culture has no and/or a tiny relationship to systematic oppression and thus is inappropriate, insisting that internet activism means slacktivism in total, and mocking perceived badposters and badposts. So they're annoying and I think generally wrong in a lot of their opinions, but they rarely are ironically sexist in feminism threads because they dislike them too intensely to joke around.

That said, I can certainly see, as a former Minorities in Video Games poster, why moderators and admins would want to avoid further threads along those lines, since they attract a lot of terrible posters, generally end up getting more and more insular, and basically require intensive moderating to be viable rather than sick jokes. Of course, the gassed thread wasn't doing too bad on those fronts, but still.

Nolanar posted:

And yet, we have the story of the cleric class being created because Gygax let someone in his group play a vampire and someone else wanted to kill it. Did the man just have a funhaver phase, or were the death traps the anomaly? Or maybe the vampire thing was his realization of a player's true weakness: the other players.

The thing is, the whole Soup Nazi style of play we see from so many grogs is a later development. Gygax thought that you should give players what they want if it's reasonable, but they should have to work for their treasure and glory. If you can find it Role-Playing Mastery is a good look into what Gygax thought during the 1980s.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
poo poo, I was enjoying that feminism thread :smith:

mandrake776
Nov 6, 2006

There's nothing quite like urinating in the open air.
Link

MalaDicta posted:

Okay, you know what? gently caress this.

My friend was assaulted last night. It wasn't the first time this has happened. Hell, it wasn't the fifth. It wasn't even the first time it happened this year. She got away, but she's shaken, and scared, and having flashbacks to all the other times.

The man who assaulted her is a member of the geek community. The guy before that was too - pretty high standing in the local scene. And the guy before that. And the guy before that. This is a problem. The second time I went to a local convention, another nerd stalked and raped me. For months. When I finally got over that and went to another convention, another nerd raped me. When I tried to report it, the whole convention treated it like a joke.

And now, when I try to do something to stem the rampant misogyny that provides an environment in which sexual assaults are so sickeningly normal, I get rape threats non-stop. I haven't slept in a week, because I am waking up every hour and having to clear rape threats out of my inbox. I am averaging between ten and twenty-five an hour. That is a minimum of two-hundred forty rape threats per day on a slow day. I cannot physically stay on the phone with the police long enough to report them all.

So fine. I'm taking down the petition. Because I care about my friend and I want to be there for her, and I don't want to have to worry about some sick gently caress attacking her to intimidate me. Because she's had enough pain in her life already.

You want to talk about silencing? This is what silencing looks like.
gently caress this hobby and any hobby associated with it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

filigree posted:

While I don't subscribe to the oh-so-fashionable "rape culture" bullshit canon (and the rest) - and yes, it *is* indisputably just theory - I most definitely am on the side of every victim, and every survivor. It's a horrible thing for anyone to go through, male or female, young or old, etc.

No you're not.

isildur
May 31, 2000

Nebalebadingdong posted:

FYAD wasn't. Game over.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm guessing we're supposed to post about the issue in the general feminism thread.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's it. That's my limit. What the gently caress, guys.

gently caress this hobby.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

JDCorley posted:

By using knowledge checks, they demonstrate that they are pathetic dissociated-mechanic WoW button-pressing babbies who are ruining the hobby. There's no "chance" involved in knowing something, you either know it or you don't, therefore it's dissociated, therefóre it's evil, like the word "story". The true roleplayer would gauge monster strength through long it takes to kill 10 hirelings.

The TRUE Roleplayer has already read every book in the system and committed it to memory, so they know every stat of the monsters. Sorry you spent your time playing WoW babbies, if you had committed yourself to something important instead you could sit at our table. :smaug:

isildur
May 31, 2000

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

The TRUE Roleplayer has already read every book in the system and committed it to memory, so they know every stat of the monsters. Sorry you spent your time playing WoW babbies, if you had committed yourself to something important instead you could sit at our table. :smaug:
But also, as per the preface to the 1e DMG by the Holy Sage Gygax, any player demonstrating knowledge of anything outside the Player's Handbook should be penalized by taking away their magic items.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

isildur posted:

But also, as per the preface to the 1e DMG by the Holy Sage Gygax, any player demonstrating knowledge of anything outside the Player's Handbook should be penalized by taking away their magic items.

That is NOT what our Lord and Savior E. Gary Gygax intended by that passage, and no matter what facts you present, (my favorite edition) is the one true version of D&D sanctioned by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

mandrake776 posted:

Link

gently caress this hobby and any hobby associated with it.

I'm badly tempted to sign up for that site and put up another petition calling out SJG, Desborough, and the collection of imbeciles that ran the "counter-petition," just so we can keep this dialogue moving without her having to be bombarded with anymore bullshit. Problem is, the fuckheads would probably just rally behind their existing harassment petition and give her even more grief instead of sending anything to me.