Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Clouseau posted:

she was a delightful quipster so who can say if she was truly bad

this moment will always stand out to me as the absolute epitome of how badly they misunderstand trek values. Tolerance and acceptance isn't "we accept genocidal maniacs".

Hillary-rear end show. Nepo-style ruling class-sympathising neolib-ideologically bent garbage. I quit after that exact episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I wish I could say that SNW is better in terms of writing but the season finale had an Admiral yelling at Pike not to cross a line on a map because it might upend the delicate diplomatic relations with a species that eats people and then lays their eggs in the survivors to die horribly.

This current batch of writers for Trek do not have the seasoning or maturity to write genocidal maniacs or xenomorph rip-off horrors.

Their talents are in writing musical numbers and wacky vulcan hijinks episodes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MichaelFlatley posted:

. no

I wish

no, but we do learn something ultimately pointless about Cronenburg's character

This is annoying, don't do this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Penitent posted:

I wish I could say that SNW is better in terms of writing but the season finale had an Admiral yelling at Pike not to cross a line on a map because it might upend the delicate diplomatic relations with a species that eats people and then lays their eggs in the survivors to die horribly.

This current batch of writers for Trek do not have the seasoning or maturity to write genocidal maniacs or xenomorph rip-off horrors.

Their talents are in writing musical numbers and wacky vulcan hijinks episodes.

No that's actually fine - there was clearly something going on diplomatically because the Gorn kept to their side of the line. That's the story laying pretty obvious seeds of the direction its going.

It's very Star Trek to do a story about the laying-eggs-in-you aliens becoming or at least grudgingly neutral if you can get past the culture shock of first contact. It's extremely Star Trek to do stories about how Earth throwing out colonies in every direction results in aliens showing up pissed off that their territory is being invaded. TNG drank from that well over and over again, DS9 used it for the Maquis arc, it's the plot of Discovery's pilot.

It's just repeating what's been done before, but really committing to the sci-fi concept and ideal of the moral by making the aliens xenomorph rip-offs rather than a dude in some makeup.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look, man, you can't like, OWN space! And like, this is our star system anyway so get the gently caress out!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I normally never notice this sort of thing, but in this episode it really drew my attention and just completely took me out of the scene. Each plume of flame is perfectly centered on those column things between two vents, it looks intentionally installed there, like pyrotechnics from a concert or something.

They were deliberately installed. Those are the console explosion diverters. They keep consoles from exploding and getting console rocks everywhere.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jerusalem posted:

Moll is a deeply unpleasant person, a murderer with an absolutely wanton disregard for the ramifications of her actions and the impact they have on others, zero moral and ethical concerns about the potential for mass casualties, and an utterly unwarranted belief in her own superiority, and I'm fairly certain the show wants me to feel bad for her and hope that she gets a happy ending?

She's also a character who, as written, I can't understand why she hasn't been casually killed by one of her many enemies at least 2-3 times just in this season alone. The continued contrivances to keep her in the plot culminating in her now apparently leading a giant faction of the Breen have been utterly baffling, she's basically been out of the race since like episode 3 but keeps being right there with them all.
One of my favorite things to roll my eyes at this episode was every time Moll was talked down to and she gave the Breen next to her these puppy dog side-eyes. Like after the third time of doing it I was yelling "we get it, director, she's going to flip them against the leader, you can stop now!" The most unbelievable turning considering we can't even see her captor's facial reactions and the best we get is "he slightly turns away, then back. That is the Breen shrug." It's just so deeply silly. This is a deeply silly show. But at least now I'm enjoying it a lot more than the previous two seasons.

Kinda wild how Picard gets an entire lifetime in 40 minutes of his mindscape but Michael can't even get a day in hers.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Clouseau posted:

she was a delightful quipster so who can say if she was truly bad

this moment will always stand out to me as the absolute epitome of how badly they misunderstand trek values. Tolerance and acceptance isn't "we accept genocidal maniacs".

It really goes to show how Treks need at least one person willing to make a stand on something to steer the ship off an idiot course. Like how Nimoy had to constantly argue against having the writers give him an emotional breakdown every episode after "Naked Time." Or how Nana Visitor had to be like "Of course Kira wouldn't fall for Dukat, are you insane?"

Hard to imagine that sort of thing happening in the modern shows.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

apatheticman posted:

This is annoying, don't do this.

Don't read it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't read your posts anymore, got it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
One thing I'll never get about Georgiou is if they wanted her to be this character they reform why did they make her so evil. Mirror universe Spock in TOS was the kind of person who you could believe would think "maybe all this is wrong". But Georgiou is an unironic fascist who eats one of the species the empire conquered and the writers' first thought was "we're gonna make everyone like her". Or for that matter why didn't they just keep the regular Georgiou around and killed off some other captain.

Discovery confuses me on every level.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe the writers were wrestling with their support for Hillary Clinton

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TuxedoOrca posted:

One thing I'll never get about Georgiou is if they wanted her to be this character they reform why did they make her so evil. Mirror universe Spock in TOS was the kind of person who you could believe would think "maybe all this is wrong". But Georgiou is an unironic fascist who eats one of the species the empire conquered and the writers' first thought was "we're gonna make everyone like her". Or for that matter why didn't they just keep the regular Georgiou around and killed off some other captain.

Yeah everyone in the Terran version of starfleet is trapped by their own aggro. If you want to just keep your head down and do your job, you're constantly at risk of abuse from your superiors. And heaven help you if you do a good enough job to get promoted, because then your underlings will be plotting to kill you. But if you do a bad enough job to avoid being promoted you risk punishment in an agony booth. If you can get promoted enough you get your own body guards to help protect you, but you can never let down your guard.

To survive you have to be the hardest motherfucker in the room. You're either everyone's victim or you do awful things to prove you're not.

Emperor Gorgiou took that "show no weakness" necessity to another level by eating people. She's not even eating traitors, she's eating the meekest guys around. That doesn't make you strong, that just makes you gross.

TV writers: How do we one-up a culture that routinely engages in genocide, murder, rape, torture, and child abuse? *lightbulb* How about cannibalism?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TuxedoOrca posted:

I knew going into the first couple of episodes of Discovery that Georgiou was going to be killed off, but her being by far the best character in the opening (maybe I'm biased by being a long-time fan of Michelle Yeo) made what already felt like a weird and screwed-up reinvention of Star Trek seem all the worse. Hey, let's whack the charismatic captain who knows her poo poo in favor of Spock's secret (and mutinous) sister!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

TuxedoOrca posted:

She was a straight up villain, then the actress got (more) popular so they went on the most misguided redemption arc to keep Poochie-ing her into the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I didn’t hate that episode! This season’s probably the best so far, and it almost sucks they’re finishing with this one.

My favourite thing this ep (besides the absolutely gorgeous University of Toronto Thomas Fisher library) was Mind-Book and his cut glass English accent. His whole demeanour was markedly different from David Ayala’s usual take on Book, and to my mind, he seemed to be channeling Tim Curry just a bit. :allears:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

TuxedoOrca posted:

That stuff from her first episodes is cared about roughly as much as the Season 1 portrayal of Klingons, it went straight out the door along with the S1 showrunners.

She is quite literally "chaotic Captain Phillipa Georgiou" in every appearance she makes once Burnham pulls her into the Prime universe. She's an inconsiderate dick with dubious morals and motivations who ultimately comes down on the right side of things because of the influence of people around her.

Like, no poo poo people commiserate with Burnham when she's grieving the loss of her surrogate mother figure, this is someone who was been their ally for 2+ seasons and had saved their lives multiple times, some of them personally. And it happened at the end of the episode where she died trying to reform the Mirror universe, and resolved that she'd accept death rather than try and go back to the life she used to have there.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
To be fair, good universe Gorgeou was committing war crimes from the jump, you really have to run with it if you wanted to create an evil’er version.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Par for the course for Discovery, all things considered.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I felt sorry for Tilly, having to obviously swallow all the things she obviously wanted to say about the woman that spent her entire time on board insulting and belittling her, and having to mouth some empty platitude to make Michael feel better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

having to mouth some empty platitude to make Michael feel better.

You just described nearly every scene of every episode of this show.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is it fair to say that without the Discovery, Mol and La'ak never would have found the clues on their own, and the progenitor device would remain safe?

The inhabitants of Halem'no would eventually die from obstructive pulmonary disease, I guess, since the scientist who built their planetary shield didn't bother to tell anyone about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Probably yes

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just remembered that Jason Isaacs was in Discovery.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is it fair to say that without the Discovery, Mol and La'ak never would have found the clues on their own, and the progenitor device would remain safe?

If we consider that for whatever reason, Starfleet doesn't get the Romulan distress signal but Moll and La'k do:

They take the puzzle to Not-Data, pick up on his nervousness when he reads the book and the same fight ensues, with them winning and running off with the book again. I can't remember how they got the info but I think enough of the book was understandable to them to get to Lyrek, where they find the first clue but mistakenly go off to Betazed. Finding nothing, they return to Lyrek and find the first puzzle piece since Burnham wouldn't have picked it up, and that gets them to Trill where... nope, that's it. Even if they got to Jinaal, they wouldn't have passed the "don't kill the carnivorous animals protecting their nest" test, they wouldn't be able to threaten him (he's already dead!) and that's that, race is over, they wouldn't even know what it was they were looking for.

So at that point, they probably try to sell the book knowing that whatever it is they're chasing is important, but at that point they've already killed a prominent buyer and that circle probably wouldn't want anything to do with them, or they get double-crossed and this time they can't plot-armor their way out of it, or the Breen finally catch them or Rayner finally gets hold of them, finds the book, and he ends up doing the Red Directive for Starfleet while getting to stay Captain and have his own ship.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If we consider that for whatever reason, Starfleet doesn't get the Romulan distress signal but Moll and La'k do:

They take the puzzle to Not-Data, pick up on his nervousness when he reads the book and the same fight ensues, with them winning and running off with the book again. I can't remember how they got the info but I think enough of the book was understandable to them to get to Lyrek, where they find the first clue but mistakenly go off to Betazed. Finding nothing, they return to Lyrek and find the first puzzle piece since Burnham wouldn't have picked it up, and that gets them to Trill where... nope, that's it. Even if they got to Jinaal, they wouldn't have passed the "don't kill the carnivorous animals protecting their nest" test, they wouldn't be able to threaten him (he's already dead!) and that's that, race is over, they wouldn't even know what it was they were looking for.

And even if they did manage to empathize with giant bugs without the help of a Kwejian, they'd have no way to find Halem'no, let alone solve its riddle, right?

This race has been pointless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They also got themselves stranded in the pocket universe or whatever that was, and only got out because Discovery showed up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I mean, they were able to wish an escape pod into existence to get off the ISS Enterprise.

The entire chase was so loving stupid. They would have failed every challenge. Maybe they could pass the first one by coming back and finding the last stanza. But they would have failed the trill one, because they never would have been able to convince the trill to do the ceremony to bring that guy back. Even if they did, they'd fail the test to not kill that creature. They would have died on the ISS Enterprise. Though maybe they would have wished an escape pod into existence like they did in the show. They would have died on that world with the fake environments. Maybe if they just started killing people and got up into the tower they might have found the symbol and then found the other tower. They would have died in the mindscape because they wouldn't pass the test. The AI says to pass you have to be honest with yourself, and there's no way these two would have been able to do that when they are busy being to toughest dudes in the universe running away from a threat that didn't appear to even exist until they drew attention to themselves. Maybe Burnham should have realized that maybe these scientists from 800 years ago knew what they were doing when hiding the clues. Instead she went around solving all the puzzles and then handed the solution over to the Breen. Way to go, dipshit.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 20, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Everyone knows about the Terran Warp Pods once they see them, but not before

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breen Trimark: Oh no, my worthless nephew has run off and I can't win the throne without him. What should I do? I know, I'll declare him a traitor so any other Breen that finds him will kill him on sight! I'm so smart.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rubber Chicken posted:

Everyone knows about the Terran Warp Pods once they see them, but not before

Ok, now I actually do want to see some sci-fi franchise have something like this. An object that like manipulates people's memories when they see it for the first time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Breen Trimark: Oh no, my worthless nephew has run off and I can't win the throne without him. What should I do? I know, I'll declare him a traitor so any other Breen that finds him will kill him on sight! I'm so smart.
I feel like that guy was just winging it, and that ultimately got him merked

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, now I actually do want to see some sci-fi franchise have something like this. An object that like manipulates people's memories when they see it for the first time.

Wasn't there a Doctor Who alien that does this

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Cojawfee posted:

The three seashells could use this feature

Functionally the TWP (Terran Warp Pod™) basically had a Somebody Else's Problem Field from HGttG

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tighclops posted:

Yeah but you only remember them while you're looking at them. You can take notes and with repeated exposure eventually remember that they exist even when they are absent, but you still can't remember what they look like unless you are looking at one.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tighclops posted:

I don’t remember anything like that, no.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For some reasons my hand are covered with some kind of blood-like substance, however... :thunk:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

When does Lower Decks or SNW come back?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Lower Decks and Prodigy are slated for later this year then they're both finished unless Netflix decides to pony up the cash to make further seasons of Prodigy. SNW has been shunted off to 2025, so it's skipping 2024 entirely thanks to the strikes last year, as will Starfleet Academy. And by that point Paramount as a company will be dead so that's going to be it for Star Trek period probably for another decade like what happened between Enterprise and Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

8one6 posted:

I wanna say Lower Decks for mid-to-late August and SNW for fall, sept or oct