Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Generally speaking, if you can make it past Goo, the only realistic obstacles to winning are the third and fourth bosses; the actual regular dungeon monsters become trivial as you buy/find plenty of healing pots and upgrade scrolls.

Gonna suggest Watabou add artifact weapons and harder monsters to the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Got me a longsword +3 and some plate armour so I kill goo with no problems and head down. A crazy thief steals the plate armour so I chase the little rear end in a top hat down and kill him. In the shop. Where he drops my armour. That will now cost me more gold than I have to get it back from the rear end in a top hat shopkeep.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Frogmanv2 posted:

Got me a longsword +3 and some plate armour so I kill goo with no problems and head down. A crazy thief steals the plate armour so I chase the little rear end in a top hat down and kill him. In the shop. Where he drops my armour. That will now cost me more gold than I have to get it back from the rear end in a top hat shopkeep.

Are you on the newest version? I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. I just had a similar situation (the thief dropped a scroll or something) and I don't think I paid to pick it back up. I guess I'm not 100% sure though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

I've heard reports of this but haven't seen it myself and I've done similar things. I assumed it got patched out at some point before I started playing. Maybe it's still around but for only certain types of items? It's not listed on any of the bugs wiki pages, so that's probably the case.

Wiki pages:
Known bugs
Old bugs
Possibly corrected bugs

The entire wiki seems to be maintained by watabou, though I don't think it's entirely updated for 1.6. If you're on the latest version you should probably add it to the wiki.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Actually, I found something that says it's working as intended on the Known Bugs page. Not in the article itself, but in the comments.

quote:

I was playing a rogue and on level 6 a crazy thief stole a glaive that I got from the sad ghost. I chased it down and killed it in the shop room, and the glaive dropped onto a spot with another item that I hadn't yet bought and the glaive seemingly replaced this item in the shop. So now I had to rebuy the glaive I already earned, which I couldn't do of course because it was over 9000 gold (literally).

An admin posted:

Not a bug, it’s intended that way.

Pretty dumb.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Don't kill the Thief in the store, pretty simple. You can always kite him back out by just leaving and waiting a few turns. Remember, this is a Rougelike, it's not supposed to be fair or coddle you in anyways. It's meant to be hard and bitter. Stop arguing with the system and work with it.

Another tip:

Don't buy the Ankh. It's not worth it. If you die, the Ankh brings you back with just your equipped weapons and nothing else. You'll lose all your good wands, any alternate weapons or armor, and all your scrolls and potions. You used to be able to dump everything and die to reset shops, but they patched that out. You can stockpile items on older floors so if you die you can go back and pick them up, but you don't really get enough items to make it worth splitting them up.

Instead of buying the Ankh buy healing potions.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Don't kill the Thief in the store, pretty simple. You can always kite him back out by just leaving and waiting a few turns. Remember, this is a Rougelike, it's not supposed to be fair or coddle you in anyways. It's meant to be hard and bitter. Stop arguing with the system and work with it.
And now it's happened for the first time, I won't be doing it again. Pretty silly to say "well, just don't do the thing that will horribly set back your character even though there is literally nothing in game to tell you otherwise and the only way you can work this out is to read the comments section of the wiki."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Frogmanv2 posted:

And now it's happened for the first time, I won't be doing it again. Pretty silly to say "well, just don't do the thing that will horribly set back your character even though there is literally nothing in game to tell you otherwise and the only way you can work this out is to read the comments section of the wiki."

Hello, welcome to Rougelikes! Hope you enjoy your stay. Oh, by the way, don't drink that potion, it will light you on fire. Or that one, it will poison you. Or read that scroll, it will summon all the enemies. Or put on that armor, it's cursed.

Part of the charm of the genre is getting screwed by things you had no idea could happen. Next game, do not do that thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hello, welcome to Rougelikes! Hope you enjoy your stay. Oh, by the way, don't drink that potion, it will light you on fire. Or that one, it will poison you. Or read that scroll, it will summon all the enemies. Or put on that armor, it's cursed.

Part of the charm of the genre is getting screwed by things you had no idea could happen. Next game, do not do that thing.

[quote="precision" post="424529548"]
Generally speaking, if you can make it past Goo, the only realistic obstacles to winning are the third and fourth bosses; the actual regular dungeon monsters become trivial as you buy/find plenty of healing pots and upgrade scrolls.

Gonna suggest Watabou add artifact weapons and harder monsters to the endgame.

I'd love to see a New Game + Increased enemy difficulties, but you get to keep your equipped items for another run though. Or maybe a potion rack that allows you to consolidate your potions like the scroll case.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't yet donated, I'd take a few minutes to do so. The game is free but the guy deserves some financial love.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Instead of buying the Ankh buy healing potions.
The only thing the Ankh was useful for was regenerating levels and that's gone now. It's not even worth the inventory space it takes up.

What's everybody get from the wandmaker? I almost always pick the non-battle wand since they're all fairly useful (except for telekinesis).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The only thing the Ankh was useful for was regenerating levels and that's gone now. It's not even worth the inventory space it takes up.

What's everybody get from the wandmaker? I almost always pick the non-battle wand since they're all fairly useful (except for telekinesis).

Depends on the loadout at the current time. It's usually a meaningful choice, thankfully. If I don't have a damage wand, I usually get that. Sometimes I prefer to have two damage wands.

I'm playing a game right now as an assassin and I have a teleportation wand. It's pretty helpful. Bash someone's face a few times, send them off, and then do it again later. Also an eldritch mace, same purpose.

Other good combos: vampiric weapon (I've only ever seen 2 of these I think) and wand of flock, huntress and wand of regrowth. Really any class and the wand of regrowth, it's pretty awesome.

About to enter the last five levels though and I'm down to 3 healing potions. I don't think I'm going to make it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

Depends on the loadout at the current time. It's usually a meaningful choice, thankfully. If I don't have a damage wand, I usually get that. Sometimes I prefer to have two damage wands.

I'm playing a game right now as an assassin and I have a teleportation wand. It's pretty helpful. Bash someone's face a few times, send them off, and then do it again later. Also an eldritch mace, same purpose.

Other good combos: vampiric weapon (I've only ever seen 2 of these I think) and wand of flock, huntress and wand of regrowth. Really any class and the wand of regrowth, it's pretty awesome.

About to enter the last five levels though and I'm down to 3 healing potions. I don't think I'm going to make it.

Go back and potion farm.

Has any one tinkered with the same games? I looked at the format and it's pretty simple, so I gave myself a few buffs. It completely ruins the game though, since the point is replays. However, it's fun to have a Wand of Disintegration +99 and just murder everything in one shot.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...
Just had my easiest descend so far. I finished it off with a lvl 23 Battle Mage with a +8 wand of firebolt and a +5 plate mail(upgraded to that mage robe). I only had 15 strenght, but I didn't really need any more strenght with this build.

The wand of firebolt burned down most enemies in one to max three shots. Quite ridiculous, but a lot of fun. It's safe to say that I never felt threatened at all. I still had seven potions of healing when I beat that evil eye at the end. The only reason I had to use any at all was because I had to take out the hands first, which I normally don't have to do.

Too bad the other wands don't scale as well as the wand of firebolt do. I've tried the same with a wand of lightning earlier, but it's not as powerful.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Celvin posted:

Just had my easiest descend so far. I finished it off with a lvl 23 Battle Mage with a +8 wand of firebolt and a +5 plate mail(upgraded to that mage robe). I only had 15 strenght, but I didn't really need any more strenght with this build.

The wand of firebolt burned down most enemies in one to max three shots. Quite ridiculous, but a lot of fun. It's safe to say that I never felt threatened at all. I still had seven potions of healing when I beat that evil eye at the end. The only reason I had to use any at all was because I had to take out the hands first, which I normally don't have to do.

Too bad the other wands don't scale as well as the wand of firebolt do. I've tried the same with a wand of lightning earlier, but it's not as powerful.

I always feel like I'm burning up a bunch of useful drops when I use firebolt. Whenever I see that green flash on an enemy, I assume I just fried a scroll he was about to drop for me.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...

quote:

I always feel like I'm burning up a bunch of useful drops when I use firebolt. Whenever I see that green flash on an enemy, I assume I just fried a scroll he was about to drop for me.

Yeah, I can't help the feeling that I burned some scroll of upgrades along the way, as I usually find a lot more of those than I did in this playthrough.

Luckely, the wand does decent damage in hand-to-hand as well. If there were any scrolls nearby, or enemies that dropped them for that matter,I didn't blaze my way through.

Celvin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 17, 2014

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Does the troll blacksmith take into account upgrades when reforging items? If I give him my +4 mace and a longsword, will he just spit out a +1 wild mace or something actually usefull?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Nastyman posted:

Does the troll blacksmith take into account upgrades when reforging items? If I give him my +4 mace and a longsword, will he just spit out a +1 wild mace or something actually usefull?

You have to give him 2 maces or 2 longswords. I'm pretty sure it will only increase the bonus of the highest ranked item by one notch, and will probably eliminate the enchantment. Also, both items must be identified.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Civil posted:

You have to give him 2 maces or 2 longswords. I'm pretty sure it will only increase the bonus of the highest ranked item by one notch, and will probably eliminate the enchantment. Also, both items must be identified.
According to comments on the wiki, one guy gave him two enchanted weapons and the end result had one of the enchantments. It also looks like if your second item is better than +1 it adds the two numbers together.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nope. They absolutely do not get more attacks if you are encumbered by armor.

I haven't played since the final floor was 15 (after killing that boss, floor 16 was just a sign reading "more coming!"), but if it's still the same the heavy armor allows the enemy to have more attacks if you move a space. Basically it takes you longer to move so the enemy gets extra rounds. Does swinging with a weapon you don't have the strength for still also give the enemy more attacks? The few times I had beaten the game it was by finding a glaive or halberd or whatever early, and just hoping to kill the enemy on the first swing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I haven't played since the final floor was 15 (after killing that boss, floor 16 was just a sign reading "more coming!"), but if it's still the same the heavy armor allows the enemy to have more attacks if you move a space. Basically it takes you longer to move so the enemy gets extra rounds. Does swinging with a weapon you don't have the strength for still also give the enemy more attacks? The few times I had beaten the game it was by finding a glaive or halberd or whatever early, and just hoping to kill the enemy on the first swing.

Equipping a weapon that's too heavy makes you less accurate with it. It might also slow you down, but I'm not sure of that part.

Also, yeah, don't buy Ankhs. The only time I would buy an Ankh is if you find a lot of bones piles with gold, I guess.

I'm going to email Watabou about the quickslot thing, and also that Ankhs should be more expensive/more rare and act as literal "extra lives" like Amulets of Life Saving in NetHack, because what they do now is not worth how expensive they are at all, since Healing Pots fully heal you anyway.

And yeah, donate donate donate! I've donated $10 and will probably donate more. I really want the guy to succeed as a phone game maker because Pixel Dungeon is just fantastic.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It also looks like if your second item is better than +1 it adds the two numbers together.

I just tested this and it's a lie. You get +1 to the better of the two items.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I've had Pixel Dungeon installed on my phone forever and never really got around to putting much time into it until this thread popped up. Wow, thanks for making me start this time sink! It's actually very well designed, the sound/music production value is actually decent, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I've not managed to beat it yet, but it does seem to me that if you can get a build to beat goo then you have a pretty decent build. At first I was pretty irritated that Goo seemed to either totally destroy my character or be a total wash, but it seems that he is kind of designed that way.

Also, props on the OP. Very nice, and it's good to have all the little tips built into the first post.

One strategy question; I've been doing my normal crawl strategy of "collect a couple levels worth of potions and scrolls, find someplace safe, just use 'em all" method of identification. Aside from bottles of fire/levitation, which can usually be identified by their tasks in a level, this seems to be the best way. Am I correct in assuming that, or am I wasting my junk?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

USMC_Karl posted:

I've had Pixel Dungeon installed on my phone forever and never really got around to putting much time into it until this thread popped up. Wow, thanks for making me start this time sink! It's actually very well designed, the sound/music production value is actually decent, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I've not managed to beat it yet, but it does seem to me that if you can get a build to beat goo then you have a pretty decent build. At first I was pretty irritated that Goo seemed to either totally destroy my character or be a total wash, but it seems that he is kind of designed that way.

Also, props on the OP. Very nice, and it's good to have all the little tips built into the first post.

One strategy question; I've been doing my normal crawl strategy of "collect a couple levels worth of potions and scrolls, find someplace safe, just use 'em all" method of identification. Aside from bottles of fire/levitation, which can usually be identified by their tasks in a level, this seems to be the best way. Am I correct in assuming that, or am I wasting my junk?

One option is to wait for level six and do it then. That way you can see what flies drop or which one the shop has the most of and know that color is healing. Also you will see what potions you have the most of. Likely potion one is healing and two is strength. You almost always get a strength potion on level one as well.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

USMC_Karl posted:

That's one way that can work pretty well.

I usually do it slowly, sometimes to get rid of inventory space, sometimes to try to identify/uncurse a batch of items. I try to wait until level 6 to do non-obvious potions, so that healing potions are unidentified (and cheaper) in the shop, and none are wasted on a full health bar, but that's not a huge deal. You can usually guess what color it is by being either the most numerous in your inventory or the most numerous in the shop, and even if they are identified you may be able to afford them anyway.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I wish this game wasn't basically determined in "Have you gotten armor in the early stages?" or "Have you gotten an enchanted weapon in the early stages?" Also, feel like none of the Arcane Stylus "buffs" are really worth it honestly. They all basically add another variable for you to die, which is pretty much what you're trying to stay away from.

Game is really fun, though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Babyface Mingo posted:

I wish this game wasn't basically determined in "Have you gotten armor in the early stages?" or "Have you gotten an enchanted weapon in the early stages?" Also, feel like none of the Arcane Stylus "buffs" are really worth it honestly. They all basically add another variable for you to die, which is pretty much what you're trying to stay away from.

Game is really fun, though.

All but Metabolism. But yeah, glyphs are an issue. I've been saving them up until I can throw 3-4 at a piece of armor if I don't get what I want the first time.

I had a mage over the weekend with plate armor of metabolism +8 (found a +1 in an early level and pumped upgrade scrolls into it), and had tons of basically everything I could have needed to finish the game for the first time (after failing countless times with a warrior). Forgot to keep track of my health bar again and died on the 24th level. My forgetfulness is the most dangerous enemy in the game. I should have been upset, but I knew I would have made it (I had ~55 health potions, for starters) so it's basically a victory to me.

I started him at nighttime, and it seems like the game is easier when you do that. You get lots more equipment drops and they often have positive modifiers. It's supposed to be balanced, but I think it's actually weighted in your favor. I had several +1 weapons drop, plus the +1 plate armor. It's no +3 but in the early levels a +1 can be a big deal.

There seems to be some sort of balancing act between armor and weapons that I haven't really figured out. Should you put an equal number of scrolls into your weapon as your armor? Should you start with more into armor and then transition into weapons? I usually wait until the 4th area at least to see if I get a tier 5 weapon before resigning to a tier 4, but that only works with really good armor. I actually suspect I'm a little too anal about all this, that I could probably win the game with a starting weapon and maybe leather/mail/scale armor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

There seems to be some sort of balancing act between armor and weapons that I haven't really figured out. Should you put an equal number of scrolls into your weapon as your armor? Should you start with more into armor and then transition into weapons? I usually wait until the 4th area at least to see if I get a tier 5 weapon before resigning to a tier 4, but that only works with really good armor. I actually suspect I'm a little too anal about all this, that I could probably win the game with a starting weapon and maybe leather/mail/scale armor.

I don't bother upgrading either weapons or armors (except the default armor you can disenchant) until I get something I want to use for the long haul. Typically by level five I get a plate armor, and by six or seven I have both plate armor and a weapon I like.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't bother upgrading either weapons or armors (except the default armor you can disenchant) until I get something I want to use for the long haul. Typically by level five I get a plate armor, and by six or seven I have both plate armor and a weapon I like.
You can disenchant the cloth armor you start with?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Is there a mechanic that forces mobs to head to your position once you start to sleep?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

All but Metabolism. But yeah, glyphs are an issue. I've been saving them up until I can throw 3-4 at a piece of armor if I don't get what I want the first time.

I had a mage over the weekend with plate armor of metabolism +8 (found a +1 in an early level and pumped upgrade scrolls into it), and had tons of basically everything I could have needed to finish the game for the first time (after failing countless times with a warrior). Forgot to keep track of my health bar again and died on the 24th level. My forgetfulness is the most dangerous enemy in the game. I should have been upset, but I knew I would have made it (I had ~55 health potions, for starters) so it's basically a victory to me.

I started him at nighttime, and it seems like the game is easier when you do that. You get lots more equipment drops and they often have positive modifiers. It's supposed to be balanced, but I think it's actually weighted in your favor. I had several +1 weapons drop, plus the +1 plate armor. It's no +3 but in the early levels a +1 can be a big deal.

Previously - playing at night was just basically a penalty. Way more monsters with no real appreciable increase in drops. I wonder if he fixed it in the latest update.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Yessss I've been playing this game for two months solid, glad it has a thread. I got my first win over Christmas break with a rogue, lucked out and got a ring of evasion pretty early, so I kept pumping it up with upgrade scrolls and rarely got hit.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Likely potion one is healing and two is strength. You almost always get a strength potion on level one as well.

Not quite - you are guaranteed to get two strength potion drops before the goo boss on level 5. I think you're also guaranteed a certain amount of upgrade scrolls in that period as well, but I dont know what that number is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

You can disenchant the cloth armor you start with?

Sorry, I was wrong. None of them do. However you can un-enchant the wand the Mage starts with. It's always worth buffing the warriors sword because when you use it to enchant another weapon there's a 0% chance it will knock off the enchant like can sometimes happen.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...
I've had a lot of fun trying to "break" the game by using some powerful combinations that basically makes the difficulty plummet altogether.

I already mentioned my Battlemage with his wand of firebolt. This time I finished the game with a lvl 25 assassin equipped with a +10 ring of evasion. With 17 strenght and some light armor(+4 scale armor) it was almost impossible to be hit. This was my easiest descend so far, even the enemies on last levels couldn't put up a challenge this time. I usually rush through the last three levels because of those annoying disintegrating monsters, but they couldn't damage me at all.

Does anyone have any suggestion for other combos that'll break the game in a simmilar fashion?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Celvin posted:

I've had a lot of fun trying to "break" the game by using some powerful combinations that basically makes the difficulty plummet altogether.

I already mentioned my Battlemage with his wand of firebolt. This time I finished the game with a lvl 25 assassin equipped with a +10 ring of evasion. With 17 strenght and some light armor(+4 scale armor) it was almost impossible to be hit. This was my easiest descend so far, even the enemies on last levels couldn't put up a challenge this time. I usually rush through the last three levels because of those annoying disintegrating monsters, but they couldn't damage me at all.

Does anyone have any suggestion for other combos that'll break the game in a simmilar fashion?

A high level chilling knuckleduster makes enemies statutes that you can just beat up.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

A high level chilling knuckleduster makes enemies statutes that you can just beat up.

Sounds fun. Getting high level weapons with the right enchantment is quite hard, though. I had a +4 or +5 stunning knuckleduster in a playthrough. It wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be. It was pretty safe, but it was just sooo slow! Took me ages to knock down any enemies from lvl 16 and onwards.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
For all you pros out there; what's the deal with the Alchemy pot/Butterfly well thing? It says to drop seeds or other things there, but when I do it seems like either nothing happens 99% of the time. Are there specific recipes that I'm stumbling on, or are they just kind of buggy?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

USMC_Karl posted:

For all you pros out there; what's the deal with the Alchemy pot/Butterfly well thing? It says to drop seeds or other things there, but when I do it seems like either nothing happens 99% of the time. Are there specific recipes that I'm stumbling on, or are they just kind of buggy?

I think you need at least 3 seeds of the same type to turn into a potion.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

USMC_Karl posted:

If you're talking about the laboratory room that has the potions and the alchemy pot, you have to throw three seeds into the pot and you get a random potion. The potion type can be influenced by the types of seeds you throw in. The well that has the black butterflies flowing out is the transmutation well that turns one item into another. The best things to throw into that are potions of strength and scrolls of upgrade.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

I think you need at least 3 seeds of the same type to turn into a potion.

The seeds can be of different types! Mostly moot though since as far as I can tell you can't split stacks.

Also of note, there is currently a bug where if you have a stack of 4+ seeds and you plant one on an alchemy pot, it turns into a potion. Not very useful since by the time you have stacks of 4+ you probably aren't hurting for Healing potions. Though, if you found a wand of regrowth early on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mostly moot though since as far as I can tell you can't split stacks.
You can throw them one at a time.

• Locked thread