Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Volume posted:

Again though, what about your luggage?

I'm actually planning two trips this year, I might just try it

Carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volume posted:

But what about your luggage?

Don't check, save another 25.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Windows 98 posted:

I heard that for every time you ride a plane and don't crash your chances of crashing the next time double. It's sort of this diminishing return effect that prevents people from flying too much.

But what about the pilots?

IIRC pilots are sent to Malaysia when it's time to retire

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why shouldn't they be able to sue, op? If they win then they get more money. If they lose they have to pay a bit for court fees then people resume doing what they're doing and the airline still gets a bunch of money. Not seeing an issue here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

Why shouldn't they be able to sue, op? If they win then they get more money. If they lose they have to pay a bit for court fees then people resume doing what they're doing and the airline still gets a bunch of money. Not seeing an issue here.

I mean, you can sue for whatever you want I guess, but they deserve to lose and also go out of business.

E: Also the whole "we know we can't win a court case but we can still crush the little guy with legal fees" tactic is kind of an abuse of the legal system. Which is hypocritical considering they're complaining about an "abuse" in the first place.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

so, don't buy a direct flight if you want to save money? I don't get how this works. I want to go to Cleveland from atlanta, do I buy a ticket to chicago that has a layover in cleveland?

all depends on airports and airlines. take Minneapolis where a majority of the flights in/out are Delta. Delta can jack up the price since they control a large portion of the airport.
but in New York, they are on equal ground as all the other airlines, so they have to compete for passengers
that's how you end up with poo poo prices like this

they both start as the exact same flight, it's just that one goes on to New York

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The judge taking a big poo poo all over this lawsuit and making UA pay millions in punitive damages is the only outcome that benefits consumers. USA #1

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

I mean, you can sue for whatever you want I guess, but they deserve to lose and also go out of business.

Winning the lottery would also be nice

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea carry on. I spent two weeks out of a carry on sized luggage and a backpack

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

babies havin rabies posted:

The judge taking a big poo poo all over this lawsuit and making UA pay millions in punitive damages is the only outcome that benefits consumers. USA #1

Here's hoping.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am glad of that website loving with airlines

boo hoo now we can't completely control pricing and properly gouge customers as much

gently caress 'em

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This reminds me of an onion article where airlines were gonna start charging people for not taking flights

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Volume posted:

This reminds me of an onion article where airlines were gonna start charging people for not taking flights

Wow that's retarded. Did any other news agencies pick up that story? Never saw CNN mention it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Wow that's retarded. Did any other news agencies pick up that story? Never saw CNN mention it
of course lamestream media wouldnt pick up on it. it had a thread here in SA though

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Applewhite posted:

I too agree that less airline companies in the market would improve prices.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah actually, http://literallyunbelievable.org/ did I'm sure and you can find way more stories like that there

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

RAGE HOLE posted:

He did not die.

So maybe the odds of me being in a plane crash are still there, but the odds of two people in the same family being in a plane crash and surviving are just what is impossible.

I should try to get a family member struck by lightning so I can also feel safer in bad weather.

im glad he didnt die but if he did he would have gone to plane crash heaven with the big bopper

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Only bring carry on. If you need to check a bag then pay full price.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

I too agree that less airline companies in the market would improve prices.

Ha ha. On the surface it would seem like having some airlines go out of business would only make the survivors more of a monopoly, but actually all the manpower, equipment and experience of the defunct corporations would split off into new companies that would be in competition with one another and not party to the price fixing circlejerk that is the modern airline industry, thus lowering prices (when a company goes out of business its resources don't just evaporate). After a decade or so of fighting with one another (to the consumers' benefit) they will eventually crystallize into monopolies again and then people will stop flying and they go out of business and fracture into small, competing businesses once more. It's a circle of life that is perverted by gov't subsidies.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TwoStepBoog posted:

all depends on airports and airlines. take Minneapolis where a majority of the flights in/out are Delta. Delta can jack up the price since they control a large portion of the airport.
but in New York, they are on equal ground as all the other airlines, so they have to compete for passengers
that's how you end up with poo poo prices like this

they both start as the exact same flight, it's just that one goes on to New York

ok i get it now

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 30, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
you'd think if the government was subsidizing them they could also have some say in what outrageous prices they charged but ehhhhhhhhh

I think you used to be able to just like buy a ticket and go into any airline and use it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

you'd think if the government was subsidizing them they could also have some say in what outrageous prices they charged but ehhhhhhhhh

I think you used to be able to just like buy a ticket and go into any airline and use it

You'd think. Maybe if congress weren't in the pocket of the corporations that would even be the case.

The system is broken.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

yeah actually, http://literallyunbelievable.org/ did I'm sure and you can find way more stories like that there

Yeah but did somewhere reliable pick the story up? I just can't believe airlines can get away with that

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Applewhite posted:

Ha ha. On the surface it would seem like having some airlines go out of business would only make the survivors more of a monopoly, but actually all the manpower, equipment and experience of the defunct corporations would split off into new companies that would be in competition with one another and not party to the price fixing circlejerk that is the modern airline industry, thus lowering prices (when a company goes out of business its resources don't just evaporate). After a decade or so of fighting with one another (to the consumers' benefit) they will eventually crystallize into monopolies again and then people will stop flying and they go out of business and fracture into small, competing businesses once more. It's a circle of life that is perverted by gov't subsidies.

What was the latest large US airline that went bankrupt and this has occured? I see mergers left and right, and TWA is really the only bankruptcy that I know - and all their assets were acquired by AA.

e: Delta got all of Pan Ams crap I see.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 30, 2014

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

madeupfred posted:

I still don't understand the point of the website though, you're paying for the same ticket twice and somehow saving money?

In this case your intended destination is Minneapolis. You can purchase a one-way flight to Minneapolis for $613.

However, you can instead purchase a one-way flight to New York for $167 and then get off during the layover in Minneapolis.

Either way you end up in Minneapolis at the same time and day but if you tell Delta you want to go to New York and get off midway through your trip you save a lot.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smoking_Dragon posted:

In this case your intended destination is Minneapolis. You can purchase a one-way flight to Minneapolis for $613.

However, you can instead purchase a one-way flight to New York for $167 and then get off during the layover in Minneapolis.

Either way you end up in Minneapolis at the same time and day but if you tell Delta you want to go to New York and get off midway through your trip you save a lot.

I get that a 1-stop is cheaper than an 0-stop, but what is this guys website value add? I mean I can search flights on Delta.com with 1-stop layover in Minneapolis pretty easily.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

What was the latest large US airline that went bankrupt and this has occured? I see mergers left and right, and TWA is really the only bankruptcy that I know - and all their assets were acquired by AA.

e: Delta got all of Pan Ams crap I see.

Remove the gov't subsidies and let's see if it's the same story. If they all go out of business simultaneously there ain't gonna be no mergers.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

I get that a 1-stop is cheaper than an 0-stop, but what is this guys website value add? I mean I can search flights on Delta.com with 1-stop layover in Minneapolis pretty easily.

Convenience :shrug: As far as I can tell the only thing he does is complete the search so you don't have to. Yet another reason why this suit is bullshit.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Rofl I have done this a few times when I was younger. It's a good way to save money on a flight.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

It's not like they can ever enforce this. I mean the police can't come arrest somebody for booking a flight and then not taking it.

Right?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What we need is like a flash mob of people to fill up an entire flight and do this.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

It's not like they can ever enforce this. I mean the police can't come arrest somebody for booking a flight and then not taking it.

Right?

Maybe if you're black

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Applewhite posted:

What we need is like a flash mob of people to fill up an entire flight and do this.

only if the plane crashes when they all try to take selfies

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Darth123123 posted:

I haven't used it but I imagine it consolidates all the layovers, connections, rates, schedules, etc... from a bunch of different airlines and finds the cheapest ones, not an easy task when you really think about it. Especially since you probably have no idea when your plane will go to after stopping at your destination.

For instance, in the example above would somebody flying to Minneapolis have known to check for a flight going to New York with a stop in Minneapolis? Also, is that Delta flight the cheapest or is there an American flight to Philadelphia with a stop in Minneapolis for $112?

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Applewhite posted:

Remove the gov't subsidies and let's see if it's the same story. If they all go out of business simultaneously there ain't gonna be no mergers.

Wouldn't removing subsidies cause more bankruptcy? And all airlines going out of business at the same time is somewhat unlikely...

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
this cant be something people are just figuring out.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Volume posted:

Maybe if you're black

"Get on your flight, sir!"

"What?"

"Calm down, sir!"

"I am calm??"

"Suspect has become hostile!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Right?

They can sue each and every passenger that does this for breach of contract, and apparently most airlines have sections that disallow this behavior in their contracts.

Since that's expensive and not likely to win them any money they go after the dude running the website, even though the actual threat to the airlines is simply people knowing you can do it.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Right?

They could void your return ticket with no refund theoretically so unless its one way they could screw you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Right?

They can pull you FF miles, ban you from flying their airline, and probably other inconviences, but not police. As I mentioned earlier, its probably buried in their TOS somewhere.

• Locked thread