Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I'm hiking the Chilkoot trail starting on June 11th.

Thankfully there is no way this will come to bite me in the rear end in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
these are some good playoffs. almost every matchup has a team im willing to cheer for (nyr/det series' notwithstanding)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

And now you will all come to love the wild card method of seeding!

One out of every 4 seasons when it actually produces exciting results.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I can't remember the last time the playoffs have been this much of a crap shoot. I feel like you can make a case for everybody.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

In fact you can toxx me right now.

If I miss the Vancouver Canucks raising the cup because I'm away hiking, I will change my avatar to an "action shot" (of me doing something stupid and/or dirty and exhausted) with the caption of "I missed the Canucks raising the Cup for this"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

My current mindset is that I think it works every year the Kings aren't benefiting from it.
I can't wait to change that to "My current mindset is that it works every year the Jets/Wild/Sens/Pens aren't benefiting from it". And if it's the Pens that goes doubly.

nature6pk posted:

If I miss the Vancouver Canucks raising the cup because I'm away hiking, I will change my avatar to an "action shot" (of me doing something stupid and/or dirty and exhausted) with the caption of "I missed the Canucks raising the Cup for this"

You're probably safe.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nature6pk posted:

How about rubbing cat feces all over yourself in a Sedin jersey? I can't supply you or the jersey, but I can express mail you anything else you need to make this happen.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Feral_Shofixti posted:

How about rubbing cat feces all over yourself in a Sedin jersey? I can't supply you or the jersey, but I can express mail you anything else you need to make this happen.

I'll see as things develop but going to say a hard no at this time.

Backstory is that in 2011 I had a major trip planned for June, moved it till the middle of July because the Canucks looked like they were going to do well. Instead everything happened, went hiking, had a brutal time due to weather and tick infestations that were not there that June.

GoonGPT fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 12, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

T-Bone posted:

Rangers in 6
Canadiens in 6
Lightning in 5
Capitals in 7

Jets in 6
Blues in 4
Canucks in 5
Preds in 6

Blues in 4? C'mon T-Bone. I thought we were friends. Also I really didn't want to play the blues in the first round. Chicago gets gifted the preds in the first round. They've been playing so bad lately.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Feral_Shofixti posted:

You are just the worst kind of person. No NYR or Caps fan wants this to happen.

Life is cruel and the last thing you want will happen. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to stay in bed until the MTL/OTT series is over.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Furnaceface posted:

it's good, actually. most teams had no chance of facing their most bitter rivals even without wild card seeding this year, in no small part because a lot of those teams that are bitter rivals to others (boston, toronto, philly etc) are bad and did not make the playoffs

a regular 1-8 seeding would have produced the same results in the east, and in the west it would have been:

anaheim - calgary
st louis - winnipeg
nashville - minnesota
chicago - vancouver

not really wholly more compelling than what we already have

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
stop picking the habs, y'all are gonna give Carey boneitis or whatever

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Still the best playoffs commercial the NHL has ever run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSd8CqBEbcY

Teeny tearing up :unsmith:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Am I wrong or has it been a long time since 5 Canadian teams made it into the playoffs?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Shyfted One posted:

Am I wrong or has it been a long time since 5 Canadian teams made it into the playoffs?

First time since 2004.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Pulling for the Caps out of the East and the Wild out of the West (I still like Parise :()

I wouldn't be upset if the Islanders, Lightning, Preds or Blues won out either. Just no Rangers and no Canadian team.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Yaya posted:

I can't remember the last time the playoffs have been this much of a crap shoot. I feel like you can make a case for everybody.

Every team has an obvious weakness its pretty interesting

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I made a thread for brackets/picks. I'm soliciting fun side categories as well (in the vein of "total TOO MUCH MANS", including series-specific ones for the first round).
Someone else may have to be kind enough to scrape them together for Red X's but whatever team you know well, get on over there and give us a wacky challenge that will highlight the top-notch hockey that Your Team will have on display during the best round of the playoffs.

e: Now with a more robust OP! And an actual Google Doc form, thanks to mich!

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 12, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I have edited the past years' google form even though it doesn't have to be that complicated anymore without re-seeding but oh well! I made a change for NSH/CHI series bonus question.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Ceyton posted:

First time since 2004.

Or, the year of the last good Leafs team, until they met that dastardly Roenick in the semi-finals.

Ugh: Sundin, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Nolan, Leetch, Mogilny, Kaberle, McCabe, Tucker (when he was still good), Francis, Renberg, Reichel, and Belfour. What a team!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

So CAS: does anyone feel like getting together to watch a playoff game this year? We have a Friday and Sunday night game coming up this week. My schedule is wide open and either game will work. If there interest hopefully Chicken Doodle can help with the when/where since I'm useless at that part.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm game for the Friday night game

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have tickets to the Sens Playoff home opener next sunday. My uncle and cousin, both big leafs fans are coming down, so yes, I will gloat.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I got tickets for game 3 and 4 of Habs Sens but I'm not sure who to cheer for. I like the Habs more but Ottawa is the hometown team and in the midst of a miracle run.

Mostly Go Jets Go. Looking forward to Jets and Canucks in round 2.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Not a single Saturday night game for the Habs-Sens series.

gently caress you Rogers and/or NHL

e: And Mike Johnson and Glenn Healy doing colour commentary urrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 12, 2015

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

yellowcar posted:

e: And Mike Johnson and Glenn Healy doing colour commentary urrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhh

There *might* be a Saturday game for the Flames-Nucks series, but what a goddamn lost opportunity for the NHL to not have one this week. Might be due to scheduling but goddamnit, you assholes.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I can't wait for my Wild-Sens SCF fan fic to come true. It has a twist ending where Dallas moves to Quebec City after drafting McEichel

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Go teams. Habs are toast.

Ginette Reno posted:

I find it pretty funny that 5 Canadian teams made the playoffs so Canada is gonna be pumped to bring the cup back to where it belongs(tm) but 4 of them are playing each other in the first round.

Calgary/Vancouver and Montreal/Ottawa are gonna own too. Really looking forward to those two series.

Well, this also means that two are guaranteed a second round bout. :colbert:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Pens are calling up both Harrington and Doumolin. Yay 6+ d - men again! Too bad Scuderi will never be scratched. He played every game this season! Can't stop that trend. :suicide:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Feral_Shofixti posted:

You are just the worst kind of person. No NYR or Caps fan wants this to happen.

Yes but as a fan of neither team...

Actually I just know this is what the Gods require happen more than anything.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

yellowcar posted:

All TVA for French coverage too. With the firing of CBC's montage guy, Rogers wants to ensure no one has nice things.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Not fully expecting this to happen but go Isles!

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

If Calgary makes it to the second round (big if), they don't want to meet the Ducks there. Calgary's record in the Honda Centre is absolutely abysmal.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dale Ouise posted:

All TVA for French coverage too. With the firing of CBC's montage guy, Rogers wants to ensure no one has nice things.

boooooooooo

Houde is just so much better.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

evenworse username posted:

boooooooooo

It's not just that Houde is excellent, it's that the TVA broadcasts are unbearable. loving amateur hour in there.
I'm likely going to watch the playoffs in English :(

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

evenworse username posted:

boooooooooo

Man that loving blows. Houde is the man. The TVA guy's (I don't even know his name) "lance, et compte :geno:" is so lamely done (I'm not even quite sure if that's what he saying half the time).

I would unironically love it if Habs coverage forever was Bob Cole in English and Pierre Houde in French.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

neoaxd posted:

It's not just that Houde is excellent, it's that the TVA broadcasts are unbearable. loving amateur hour in there.
I'm likely going to watch the playoffs in English :(

And somewhere in the francophone section of Valhalla, Rene Levesque can no longer enjoy his cigarette, and his Cinquante has become tasteless

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Mage_Boy posted:

The Pens are calling up both Harrington and Doumolin. Yay 6+ d - men again! Too bad Scuderi will never be scratched. He played every game this season! Can't stop that trend. :suicide:

Despite how easy he is to hate scratching Scuderi does nothing to help the team's "all of our defensemen are dead" issues.

I'm happy the Penguins made it only because it means that wildly small chance of getting a high draft spot and having to give it to Edmonton goes away. Now it's just on to getting kicked to the curb by the Rangers which i can deal with.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also this is my totally realistic I swear guys bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Number19 posted:

So CAS: does anyone feel like getting together to watch a playoff game this year? We have a Friday and Sunday night game coming up this week. My schedule is wide open and either game will work. If there interest hopefully Chicken Doodle can help with the when/where since I'm useless at that part.

JawKnee posted:

I'm game for the Friday night game

I'm supposed to have a hair appointment that night but if more people are interested I can make it the next day instead. I think we agreed that St. Augustine's was the best bar. If we don't end up in a bar I actually have room in my current place now and lots of seating, so we always have a place to go.

grack, verv, derp et all. You game?

• Locked thread