Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

raditts posted:

Pokemon has always been lovely rear end basic Babbys First jRPG, sorry to be the one to break it to you

At least Pokemon didn't crawl up its own rear end in a top hat with an ~*epic story*~ and the pacing was a little less glacial for the JRPGS of its time. Of course the newer games have been trying to rectify both of those but oh well

OP you're just getting old or less manchildish. The games are literally the same thing repeatedly repackaged with better graphics and more anime things to collect. One of the newer Pokemon is a literal bag of garbage, so maybe the series has become self-aware

I still enjoy the games, but it's basically the same feeling I'd get picking up the original series again without having to gently caress with an emulator :shrug: That's been Nintendo's MO on all of its franchises since the Gamecube era though, if it ain't broke don't fix it just release it over and over and over and over and over again with minor tweaks

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Isn't there a new pokemon that's made out of ice cream?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Isn't there a new pokemon that's made out of ice cream?

Yes and it's the most retarded addition since Mr. Mime

But then that same designer gave the series a pretty cool vulture so I don't know maybe he just had an off day that one time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Take an exisiting animal/object - put eyes on it - anime it up - there, new pokemon.

Gen 1 and 2 has the best designs, after 3 it was "lets put eyes on things."
What's your favourite amazing Gen 1 Pokemon design?

I like Purple Rat, Duck with Leek, Some Eggs, Seal With Two Es, Pile of Sludge (evolves into Larger Pile of Sludge), A Mime, A Pigeon and Some Magnets

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What's your favourite amazing Gen 1 Pokemon design?

I like Purple Rat, Duck with Leek, Some Eggs, Seal With Two Es, Pile of Sludge (evolves into Larger Pile of Sludge), A Mime, A Pigeon and Some Magnets

Pretty much every generation had its share of lovely designs, a lot of Generation 2 (Gold/Silver) were literally Generation 1 rejects lol

Anyone who thinks Generation 1 had the strongest designs are forgetting how loving stupid 1/3rd of them were. Diglett is literally a miniature hill from Yoshi's Island

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I played pokemon on my gameboy color as a child. I also had a charizard, and a variety of other pokemon cards.

By the time I was 13 years old I outgrew it.

whats wrong with you people

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

a creepy colon posted:

I'm sure the blind date you took to the midnight release of the newes t pokemon game at Electronics boutique cared a little

you idiot!! physical media is dead!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
also the first pokemon games were designed by an autist

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched the anime

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Cuckoo posted:

Pretty much every generation had its share of lovely designs, a lot of Generation 2 (Gold/Silver) were literally Generation 1 rejects lol

Anyone who thinks Generation 1 had the strongest designs are forgetting how loving stupid 1/3rd of them were. Diglett is literally a miniature hill from Yoshi's Island

gen 1 had lots of really iconic pokemon though. All the starters evolved into kicking rad monsters unlike the modern gen starters which have all been really forgettable

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

vs

in almost 20 years a fox with a fire wand is the best they could do

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Have you tried Shin Megami Tensei instead, OP?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

nice, penis chariot is my favorite

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ice cream pokemon actually owns really hard

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

pikachu sounds like peek at you, use that in a pun in the future to capture her heart and seal the deal

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

gen 1 had lots of really iconic pokemon though. All the starters evolved into kicking rad monsters unlike the modern gen starters which have all been really forgettable

You mean the starters that are all fat and pathetic versions of the middle evo?

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Pokemon has always been lovely rear end basic Babbys First jRPG, sorry to be the one to break it to you

In my case, it was my first AND last J-RPG.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
It drives me loving nuts that you have to wear a hat.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
i liked pokemon in jr high when it came out i took a bus to fry's to buy it : )

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

remigious posted:

It drives me loving nuts that you have to wear a hat.
crafty pragmaticism, they don't want kids running around in the sun without head protection for too long

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you're just old now OP

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

girl i wanna piakchu. what's that? i love u too babe

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
when i was like 10 my dad made a treasure hunt where he posted secret messages all around the house and when i got to the final message it was directions to the treasure which was a copy of pokemon red. now my dad is dead, thanks lot OP

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

social vegan posted:

pikachu sounds like peek at you, use that in a pun in the future to capture her heart and seal the deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj1B3fZNOD8

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I think it's actually always been boring, it's just you aren't a wide-eyed child anymore, and are viewing the old games through rose-tinted shades of nostalgia. I use to think Morrowind was the most amazing game ever made until I actually went back and replayed it, it's a mess.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

When I was a kid I was able to play this child's game no problem, but it's tough to get into the new versions.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Gen1 pokemon is bullshit because if you start with charizard the first gym leader is brock who uses only rock/ground types who take Ľ damage from fire. So you have to use non-STAB normal-type attacks but those only do ˝ damage anyway, and that fucker spams harden then uses potions during a gym battle like a scumbag.

What's more every pokemon on the way to the first gym is a bug type, flying type, or pikachu all of which are weak against brock's rock/ground types. Everything just SUCKS. And then like half the game is Caves o' Geodude so really if you just picked a grass or water starter you could be rocking 4x effective attacks instead of needing to capture an abra and beating the whole game with only him because his attacks are effective against everything and he gets a lot of high PP psychic moves that you need for those long-rear end caves.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

oh hey im not literally 10 years old anymore why isnt this as fun

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Gen1 pokemon is bullshit because if you start with charizard the first gym leader is brock who uses only rock/ground types who take Ľ damage from fire. So you have to use non-STAB normal-type attacks but those only do ˝ damage anyway, and that fucker spams harden then uses potions during a gym battle like a scumbag.

What's more every pokemon on the way to the first gym is a bug type, flying type, or pikachu all of which are weak against brock's rock/ground types. Everything just SUCKS. And then like half the game is Caves o' Geodude so really if you just picked a grass or water starter you could be rocking 4x effective attacks instead of needing to capture an abra and beating the whole game with only him because his attacks are effective against everything and he gets a lot of high PP psychic moves that you need for those long-rear end caves.

Ground doesn't resist fire and onix takes more damage from a fire move than most physical moves. Besides butterfly owns him.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
better than call of duty lol

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The new Pokemon games are pretty awesome and I say this as a 23 year-old woman. If you don't get a kick out of dressing Pikachu in hats and trading endless Caterpies with Japanese 12 year-olds I don't know what to tell you.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Even the ruby/sapphire remakes are bad. They pack it choke-full with features but there's no style, no charm.

Bring back old Pokemon

They make the same game for 20 years and then you complain that it's not the same game. :confused:

They slap a new coat of paint on it every few years but the style and the actual substance of the game remain almost untouched since 1996.

Also the TV show is terrible, even for a children's cartoon. Your children can watch better cartoons than that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

pokemon black/white are probably better than red/blue. seriously they own

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well actually having a degree of challenge made it a big step up. It didn't have much challenge, but at least it required you to pay attention.

Then they threw that out the window for the sequel with a climactic boss battle with a "legendary" Pokémon that gets its rear end kicked in a single turn if you have a Lucario. :downs:

And then for X/Y Mega Charizard Y is basically the I Win button for every fight in the game.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 5, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

the red/blue remakes actually owned, op

then again i had an emulator that i could toggle 10x speed since i'm not 8 years old anymore

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I am only interested in pokemon games that allow me to summon shrieking glitch demons. :colbert:

Gets a quote.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
keep posting Sincere Pokemon Analysis in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Throwdini posted:

keep posting Sincere Pokemon Analysis in this thread

K.

You'd think with the creepy "adult" market going strong for almost a quarter of a century some other dev would have walked right up to the line of IP infringement and given all those creepy adults a game geared towards them. Indie games do the same for literally every other popular type of old Nintendo-era game. Hell the creators of Mega Man and Castlevania and Banjo Kazooie all said that's what they wanted to do on Kickstarter and got like $1 million + each.

• Locked thread