Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what should be done about pugs
buy them dont breed them
dont buy them
what is a pug
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Eat them, like the Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
hmm yes, buy them so the breeder makes all the moneys and also more pugs!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

i agree. furtermore,

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hmm but can we breed that pesky "vaguely dog shaped" aspect out of pugs entirely? I'm talking perfectly spherical and gelatinous.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

seriously tho Id like to see a pug deathmatch imagine these little crapbuckets fighting each other

little pugtards rolling around like tumbleweeds, snapping at their own tails, legs, their own reflection on the bloodied floor

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

my dog is a red heeler and I think that means he's part dingo so he's extremely healthy. but for real he is just downright insolent and very difficult to train and it just makes me think I probably have 25 years ahead of me of butting heads with this drat dog.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

my old lady had a stripper roommate in college and she had a Boston terrier that would sneeze its eyeball out every now and then but he would just kinda push it back in on the carpet so I guess it was no big deal

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
how come everyone who likes pugs has extreme mental deficiencies???? how come???

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

instead of good proper killing names like "murderface""smasher" or "ripper" you have pug champions named "droolface", "the underarchiver" or "the grim reeker"

"Here comes "stone cold steve pawston", whose name is of course due to fact that he has been dead for 3 weeks, giving him a masssive advantage in this weeks battle grand mal. It looks like he pissed himself, that's gotta hurt."

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

jarofpiss posted:

my dog is a red heeler and I think that means he's part dingo so he's extremely healthy. but for real he is just downright insolent and very difficult to train and it just makes me think I probably have 25 years ahead of me of butting heads with this drat dog.

Have a blue heeler mix who is very well behaved, best dog I've ever had, picked up a buddy for him, a "pure bred" one (looks like one on Road Warrior), he's a little nut job, literally bites my ankle and is a raging ball of energy. I like him but the little dude is crazy.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

jarofpiss posted:

i have a blue heeler and they are easy to train and he minds very well maybe your dog just sees you as a huge bitch

you know intelligent breeds are going to dominate weak people so hard

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
dont have no pets on account of the charges

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Ugh, pugs are nasty. I guess young ones are kinda cute, but it seems like every adult pug I see is obese and wheezing as it struggles to waddle along. :( I don't like brachycephalic dogs in general, but I guess those are the ones I see most often.

Wolf and pug:

Look at that! Look what we've done. Good job, us.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
This is why I rescued my pug after she was a breeder in a puppy mill. At least I take good care of her so she'll never get fat.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
A lot of airlines don't allow squish-faced dogs and cats to fly in the cargo hold because they die so much. I mean I think putting animals in the cargo hold is always terrible, but it's really something that squish-faced pets are so death prone that airlines are actually turning down money.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 22, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Ralp posted:

Virtually any dog breed is fine with just one generation of out-breeding. The canine genome as a whole is richly diverse and hardy which is why mutts are so great. "Designer dogs" is actually a great concept, just a terrible implementation.

is not this simple and mutts are not necessarily any healthier than a given purebred

kill all pets imo

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
This is a good article about the problems with the English bulldog and other breeds. The UK's Kennel Club was pressured into revising the breed standards for the English bulldog, at least on paper. But the American Kennel Club had refused to make any changes as of late 2011 (when the article is from).

quote:

[A] 2010 British study ... reported that the typical bulldog lives only slightly longer than six years. “The bulldog is unique for the sheer breadth of its health problems,” ... “A typical breed will have one or two common problem areas. The bulldog has so many. When I first started working at Angell, the joke was that these dogs are a $5,000 check just waiting to happen. But the joke gets old fast, because many of these dogs are suffering.”

[T]he British Kennel Club [recently] announced that it was revising the bulldog standard ... in an effort to make bulldogs sleeker and healthier. ...

But the Bulldog Club of America (B.C.A.), which owns the copyright to the American standard, says it has no plans to follow suit. ...

A spokeswoman for the American Kennel Club told me that it won’t pressure the Bulldog Club of America to reconsider its decision. That may be because, despite their health problems, bulldogs have skyrocketed up the A.K.C.’s most popular breed list, ... The breed is a rare bit of good news for the A.K.C., which is suffering a long-term decline in registrations. ...

“We’ve shortened the face of this breed so much,” he explained, “that there’s just not enough space for everything to fit. ...

[T]he human equivalent to breathing the way some bulldogs do “would be if we walked around with our mouth or nose closed and breathed through a straw.” Lewis says that bulldogs are synonymous with brachycephalic airway syndrome, which comprises a series of respiratory abnormalities affecting the throat, nose and mouth. (Other breeds with high rates of B.A.S. include the pug, the Pekingese and the Boston terrier.)

Dogs cool themselves by breathing, so breeds like the bulldog overheat easily. ...

Even something as basic as eating is complicated by the bulldog’s unusual physique. ... “When he eats, I have to be ready to burp him, because sometimes he’ll take in too much food and air and throw up,” she said. That could lead to aspiration pneumonia, a serious condition in which vomit — or particles of food — are inhaled back into the dog’s airway. To combat this, the dog-food manufacturer Royal Canin has developed a special bulldog formula with wave-shaped kibbles (they look like Fritos) that make it easier for bulldogs to grasp and chew. The food also boasts “highly digestible proteins,” because bulldogs are the most relentless farters in the canine world.

[C]omplicating the bulldog’s breathing-related problems is the “state of denial” of some bulldog owners. ... “The owner didn’t seem to realize that his dog’s heavy, labored breathing and snoring was a sign that something was seriously wrong,” ...

Though there are surgical options to correct some of the breed’s respiratory abnormalities, any operation is complicated by the fact that when a bulldog is under anesthesia, the tissue and muscles in the back of the throat relax and block the dog’s airways. ...

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The worst breed as far as lifespan goes has to be the Dogue de Bordeaux.

quote:

While larger breeds of canines tend to have shorter life expectancy, the life expectancy of the Dogue is still shorter than even breeds of comparable or larger size.[3] According to data collected by the Dogue De Bordeaux Society of America, the average lifespan of the breed is 5 to 6 years.[4] A veterinary database in the UK showed similar figures.[5] In the American survey, the oldest dog in the record was 12 years old.[4] The Society is actively recording dogs that are 7 years old or older to celebrate the longer-lived dogs.[6]

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
what should be done is responsible breeders with money and knowledge should try to improve the breeds and remove the things that make the dogs unhealthy so they live longer healthier lives

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Absolute Lithops posted:

This is a good article about the problems with the English bulldog and other breeds. The UK's Kennel Club was pressured into revising the breed standards for the English bulldog, at least on paper. But the American Kennel Club had refused to make any changes as of late 2011 (when the article is from).

even other dog crazies think the english bulldog people are loving batshit

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

The best hosed up dog imo is American bullies, they started crossing english bulldogs with pits/staffs/mastiffs/bostons/frenchies in the 80's and went "ok cool lets see just how bad we can gently caress this up" and now they have a standard and breed club recognition lmao

instead of going "no" the UKC has been like "ok looks like a good dog we will recognize them" because hte world is a barren hellscape

They always have names like "Toadline" and "Freakshow" lmao

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

the people who breed them typically breed bitches on like their first heat and none of these dogs are ever older than like 5 hmmm

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Those pleading eyes... "oh god please kill me now" :(

Also how does the bottom one even happen, holy gently caress

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The only abomination dog breed that should be allowed to remain is the noble basset hound and, perhaps, the dachshund

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
what is a pug? a miserable little pile of genes

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
There should be licensing to own anything smart enough to take commands

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

There should be licensing to own anything smart enough to take commands

i want the mic to make a bomb so smart it can refuse an unconstitutional order

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
If your dog doesn't closely resemble a wild dog then you are human garbage. But you don't want them too close to a wild dog because then they are crazy. There is a happy medium.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Are you ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVdsjlq_9M

Poor dog.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Frostwerks posted:

i want the mic to make a bomb so smart it can refuse an unconstitutional order

Local bicycle shop owner Tom Snerkins is being held on unlawful possession of digital personality. After being stopped a traffic light, police determined that he did not have the proper licensing for his software. After his arrest, 'Siri' was removed from his custody and humanly put down.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

The best hosed up dog imo is American bullies, they started crossing english bulldogs with pits/staffs/mastiffs/bostons/frenchies in the 80's and went "ok cool lets see just how bad we can gently caress this up" and now they have a standard and breed club recognition lmao

instead of going "no" the UKC has been like "ok looks like a good dog we will recognize them" because hte world is a barren hellscape

They always have names like "Toadline" and "Freakshow" lmao

what exactly is the appeal of U-shaped dogs that cannot walk or poop without help

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
It looks like a loving frog with fur. Fun.

Just lol.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Ramsus posted:

i have a blue heeler and they are easy to train and he minds very well maybe your dog just sees you as a huge bitch

you know intelligent breeds are going to dominate weak people so hard

that's one possibility but i think it's because he's a rescue and is just very stubborn. he tries his best to behave but he's not great at it. our walks involve him heeling, us walking 2-5 steps, him pulling out in front, us stopping, him backing up to get in place, and we walk again. it takes a while to get anywhere.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

what exactly is the appeal of U-shaped dogs that cannot walk or poop without help

its EXOTIC (bullies that extreme are literally called "exotic" bullies lmfao)

Sizone posted:

The only abomination dog breed that should be allowed to remain is the noble basset hound and, perhaps, the dachshund

working bassets and dachs are actually nowhere near as hosed up as the KC/pet ones everyone on earth has. Which is true of most working breeds; show dogs have absolutely nothing in common with their working counterparts 90% of the time and none of the dogs at westminster or crufts could fulfill their working purpose and they are a laughing stock to everyone who does working lines of whatever breed

Here's an example of a working Basset:

Still has some conformational issues; but its dwarfism exists for a reason and is at a moderate enough level that it should still function for a normal working lifespan. Compared to a conformation (show) bred basset:

which speaks for its loving self

Here's a UKC conformation bred APBT, which is my idiot breed:

VS a "real," working APBT:

The general publicis taught the kennel clubs and show breeders are the be all end all of ~purebred dogs~ when irl they are the dog equivalent of pageant moms and everyone who actually keeps and breeds purebred dogs for their working purposes thinks they are loving insane. :tipshat:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
breed them until they are all stillborn, problem solved

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All the AKC dog shows are just painful for me to watch, just about every one of the dogs shown is visibly deformed from excessive inbreeding. People pay thousands of bucks for these sickly, warped genetic trashcan dogs that are pretty much guaranteed to have horribly expensive and tragic health problems down the road. At least your typical street mutt has some chance of not being a basket case. lol at the "designer dog" bullshit though, what the hell Ralp don't fall for that horseshit

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
mods rename me to sickly warped trashcan dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Me ex gf had a seven year old Basset, one day i was talking to her on the phone and heard in the background the most horrible sound of wailing that i can't really even describe, it was like some creature was being tortured to death. I asked her wtf, she said it was her dog. The next day I asked her what happened after she had got back from the vet, and she told me the dog had bone spurs on her spine that were pinching her spine nerve, and that that was extremely common in Basset Hounds. :(

They couldn't do surgery, she just had to be on strong pain meds for the rest of her life. :(

• Locked thread