Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

heres another really bad post

Here's another: gas thread ban op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Holy poo poo this is so stupid hahahaha lame - men of 21st century USA

:stare:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
There are other forms of communication than spoken language. Body language and context are pretty important too.

I mean, the whole idea hinges on the fact that body language and context can communicate a no, so why can't it also communicate a yes?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes but they are ok with the converse: if someone doesn't say yes, then you should continue.

Here's a wild idea: women feel pressured to consent to mens' actions. So giving men the idea that "just cause she ain't sayin poo poo doesn't mean she's ok with it," will hopefully result in a balanced situation with communication on both sides as equals.

I think people think that women have just as much power as men when it comes to sex. Women are still taught to be meek and receptive by society.

I think you unreasonably assume that men are always the initiators of sexual escalation. I've been touched sexually by women without my consent before, and I've been in sexual situations with women who escalated things without asking my consent first. I have even had sex where I was drunk and my partner was not. I do not consider myself to have been sexually assaulted. Are you telling me I have been?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Holy poo poo this is so stupid hahahaha lame - men of 21st century USA

I know "on paper" it seems silly to deride this but should you ever actually touch a woman in a context besides a nurse giving you a sponge bath it's going to start to make sense

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roy posted:

There are other forms of communication than spoken language. Body language and context are pretty important too.

I mean, the whole idea hinges on the fact that body language and context can communicate a no, so why can't it also communicate a yes?

:agreed:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Here's another

you called it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
yeah because kids are well known for listening to what their parents and teachers tell them to do and following all their rules and instructions

we grew up with nancy regan constantly telling us not to do drugs, nobody I knew ever did a drug

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
lmbo @ mute and or deaf people

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

Have fun being accused of rape for forgetting to get permission to kiss her on the navel when she only wanted you to go as low as her ribcage.

Like look at this. The example you give portrays women as manipulative, petty, malicious and arbitrary.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Like look at this. The example you give portrays women as manipulative, petty, malicious and arbitrary.

I'm going to cut your head off as well as his

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lmao they had a thing about this on NPR and there is an actual phone app now where like you both touch phones and then it asks you if you want to have sex and both of you say yes I consent and it records it, loving millennial s man hahahahaha

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I think you unreasonably assume that men are always the initiators of sexual escalation. I've been touched sexually by women without my consent before, and I've been in sexual situations with women who escalated things without asking my consent first. I have even had sex where I was drunk and my partner was not. I do not consider myself to have been sexually assaulted. Are you telling me I have been?

The privileged cannot be oppressed hth

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Applewhite posted:

you were raped Applewhite

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
This isn't a problem with duct tape and a very specific cord only used for boat anchors that led detectives to my door.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Roy posted:

This is entirely true. The issue is that men are trained and conditioned by our culture to have a bias towards interpreting these communications as positive more often than not.

Like here's a crazy example. You start to put your hand down his pants, you look at him, he nods, and wow we have consent. Jeez that sucked.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well I suppose there's something to consenting to every bit of physical escalation

anyone remember Azure Horizon, who bragged about being such an amazingly hot gay dude that he could get his straight friends to have sex with him

after he got them blackout drunk and dragged them back to his place

and it took people pointing this out long after the fact for him to get perma'd for being a rapist

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Lmao they had a thing about this on NPR and there is an actual phone app now where like you both touch phones and then it asks you if you want to have sex and both of you say yes I consent and it records it, loving millennial s man hahahahaha

This is stupid as hell.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

You start to put your hand down his pants, you look at him, he nods, and wow we have consent. Jeez that sucked.

lmao

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Applewhite posted:

we've all been to the airport applewhite

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you're confused by the concept of enthusiastic consent you have definitely never given a woman an orgasm.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think you're looking for reasons to take offense, and are exactly the sort of person I'm concerned will abuse the system.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Seems like a good idea to establish some sort of verbal consent as the norm, and it's pretty hard to complain about anything in that article. Of course in implementation it will probably morph into the weirdest possible version with all sorts of strange misinterpretations and redefinitions, but certainly still worth trying.

Anyway, whatever kinks there are now will surely be worked out when some enterprising silicon valley social-entrepreneur creates a 'consent app' of some sort. You could even link it with online dating websites, make it so that you can choose to only be presented with people who have a certain number of consent endorsements.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

I think you're looking for reasons to take offense, and are exactly the sort of person I'm concerned will abuse the system.

Nah I think your example is pretty common when it comes to men worrying about sex.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i learned beta from ms Zaloom

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Nooner posted:

Lol I wrote my post before reading this, thinking i was sketching out some sort of black mirror-esque speculative near future sci-fi.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

Seems like a good idea to establish some sort of verbal consent as the norm, and it's pretty hard to complain about anything in that article. Of course in implementation it will probably morph into the weirdest possible version with all sorts of strange misinterpretations and redefinitions, but certainly still worth trying.

Anyway, whatever kinks there are now will surely be worked out when some enterprising silicon valley social-entrepreneur creates a 'consent app' of some sort. You could even link it with online dating websites, make it so that you can choose to only be presented with people who have a certain number of consent endorsements.

It's not like relationships when you're in the loving tenth grade aren't already awkward and weird. But it's just trying to teach kids to get consent before they do poo poo to another person.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
This is going to be the reason we start mass-producing sexbots and also the reason why 100 years later the robots kill us for all the rape once they achieve sentience. Thanks for nothing womyn

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

This is entirely true. The issue is that men are trained and conditioned by our culture to have a bias towards interpreting these communications as positive more often than not.

Like here's a crazy example. You start to put your hand down his pants, you look at him, he nods, and wow we have consent. Jeez that sucked.

While true, women are taught to be scared of saying no, even when there is no danger present.

Maybe we should classes in school in which women are taught to say no to sexual advances from actors.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're confused by the concept of enthusiastic consent you have definitely never given a woman an orgasm.
I have literally had my clothes ripped off of me but technically that might not meet the appropriate level of consent because neither of us gave verbal approval and written forms first

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They're not talking about "enthusiastic consent" in the sense that you touch your partner's rear end and they're all "ohh yeah that feels good" or "stop it." They're talking about stopping the sex act and getting them to say the words "yes I want you to touch my rear end" before you do.
And I think that is stupid.

Instead of teaching people to treat every sexual interaction like some kind of legal negotiation, maybe we should be reinforcing the idea that it's safe and okay to say "no" and that we must be mature enough to hear and accept "no" from our partners.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

social vegan posted:

10 minutes? lol

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

corpuscollossus posted:

hey, do you mind if i stick my hand under your bra?
how about we take things up a notch, and I unbutton your jeans?
Is it cool if I stick my dick in? You sure. Great.

iirc dave chappelle did like this exact bit in one of his standup specials over a decade ago

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

Seems like a good idea to establish some sort of verbal consent as the norm, and it's pretty hard to complain about anything in that article.

Expecting people to pause at regular intervals to get verbal consent is not reasonable. It's not how sex goes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

corpuscollossus posted:

Expecting people to pause at regular intervals to get verbal consent is not reasonable. It's not how sex goes.

Literally my only complaint.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

corpuscollossus posted:

It is for bitter inescure 40 year old women

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

corpuscollossus posted:

Look at this 20th Century rapist

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

They're not talking about "enthusiastic consent" in the sense that you touch your partner's rear end and they're all "ohh yeah that feels good" or "stop it." They're talking about stopping the sex act and getting them to say the words "yes I want you to touch my rear end" before you do.
And I think that is stupid.

Instead of teaching people to treat every sexual interaction like some kind of legal negotiation, maybe we should be reinforcing the idea that it's safe and okay to say "no" and that we must be mature enough to hear and accept "no" from our partners.

That's not anything like what should be. Crazy high school health teachers from SF will say it is, but normal human beings with the capability to communicate and understand communications aren't going to do poo poo like that.

The kid is right: stopping every ten minutes and getting a yes is stupid as gently caress. But you shouldn't ridicule the idea of actively seeking consent.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Roy posted:

It is for bitter inescure 40 year old women

My goondolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nooner posted:

swiping left

• Locked thread