Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Windowless building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm all for pushing our luck till it ruptures like the bloated torso of a corpse that's been left out to fester in summer. Go for the one without windows next, they wouldn't hide what was inside of it if it wasn't worth finding!

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Windowless.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A building with no windows doesn't sound ominous at all!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Windowless building. There must an undead BOW for us to control or something.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Windowless building

narcotica
Oct 19, 2011
windowless building

And...did we just break into a highly (well, "highly"...) secured military base, sneak past the guards, into a bunker...and went like: "Oops, should probably secure my house a bit better, BRB!" ...? :what:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
On to the main base

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

narcotica posted:

windowless building

And...did we just break into a highly (well, "highly"...) secured military base, sneak past the guards, into a bunker...and went like: "Oops, should probably secure my house a bit better, BRB!" ...? :what:

We're going to go fortify our house after getting out of The Base, we've just chosen the method while we are still here.

quote:

Few lights cover the area around the hut. You get the feeling this was left over from some earlier structure and they built the base around it. Slivers of crimson paint have flaked from the wooden door.

You listen, ear pressed against the wood. Silence. A heavy padlock secures the door. Neither you nor any undead minion has experience with lock-picking. However, the latch seems a little loose in the frame. You might be able to wiggle it free.

Try to slip the latch from the frame.
Get an undead to knock down the door.
Go somewhere else.

No change in stats.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
undead solve problem

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Slip the latch

Let's not cause a commotion just yet.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Get an undead to knock down the door. For some reason I read that as "knock on the door"

Voting for Try to slip the latch from the frame. instead.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Jiggle the handle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What are you gonna do with that big bad lock? JIGGLE JIGGLE.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Are there any indicators when we pass or fail a skill check? Or even when there is one? Seems to me like most events simply happen because we chose them to.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Slip the thing and don't cause a huge ruckus until we're doing it on purpose.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

moosecow333 posted:

Are there any indicators when we pass or fail a skill check? Or even when there is one? Seems to me like most events simply happen because we chose them to.

You aren't explicitly told when you pass or fail a check, but the scene and stat changes will be different. For example, you can totally pull off the spooky mind attack on the Kendalls when they've stolen the bone from you, it's pretty cool. But, probably from our low Control at the time, when we tried that nothing ended up happening. Rest assured there's plenty that goes right or wrong based on skill checks, though I don't know if it's a flat point of success like Life of a Wizard or a roll with your stat affecting your chance of success, though I'd say it feels like the latter.

quote:

Delicate fingerwork becomes harder whilst in near-total darkness on a restricted military installation. You rock the fitting back and forward in the aged frame. It starts to shift— and slips free. You will easily be able to reinsert it when you exit, and leave no trace. This is like walking through walls.

The interior is cramped. It barely has room for a desk and a few filing cabinets. Rather than risk the glare of the ceiling lights, you switch on a small anglepoise lamp clipped to the desk and play its beam around. This is some kind of archive.

The filing cabinets are locked. You lack the time to prise them open but there are also shelves of box files running around the room. Which file will you examine?

SITE.
EVAC.
PRECEDENT.
Forget it.

Before you ask, you can only look at one before needing to skedaddle.

Stats posted:

A successful necromancer must manage an array of vital character statistics.

Control: 69%
Energy: 57% (-3)
Luck: 62% (+2)

Corruption: 12%
Humanity: 22%
You might as well have erected a sign on your house saying NECROMANCER BASE HERE.

Your undead army consists of:
Skeletons: 6
Zombies: 3
and it has killed 6 people in total.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

precedent, know your history and all that jazz.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Mikl posted:

precedent, know your history and all that jazz.

Yeah this, maybe we can learn some new undead tricks or something

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Precedent in case it's a typo and we learn about the president.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If I learn anything from Life of a Wizard, it is to max History. Precedent

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Is this one of those things where you have to replay three times to read it all? In any case, I'm leaning Precedent too.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

Is this one of those things where you have to replay three times to read it all? In any case, I'm leaning Precedent too.

These three things aren't wildly important to know (the bit that is will always happen regardless), but you would have to successfully infiltrate The Base and this particular room over three playthroughs to look at them all, yes. That said, it's a fairly short game anyways.

quote:

"ACHILLES. Arrow wound, removed from funeral pyre by goddess THETIS. BODHIDHARMA. Appeared to an ambassador three years after his death. JESUS CHRIST. Crucified but rose from his tomb on the third day. OSIRIS. Dismembered, retrieved and reassembled by wife ISIS. POOMPAVAI. Bitten by venomous snake but raised by SAMBANDAR."

From outside, you hear the tramp of a squad marching. Unless you want to be cornered in a hut the size of your bathroom, you had better move.

quote:

On the way out, you catch sight of a line of black and white photographs on the wall. Each is a soldier, men and women standing stiff in military uniform, eyes proud beneath peaked caps. They are mostly young. These might be photos of their graduation from military academy.

Each is stamped with one word in red, and a date. The word is DECEASED.

One photograph in particular bothers you, of a young man with light eyes and a hint of freckles. Something makes you snatch it from the wall. You scramble into the dark as a patrol comes into view. They make straight for the hut you've just left.

Safe behind another embankment, you examine the photograph again in the yellow glow from a nearby lamp. The face seems familiar…someone you've seen in town…something to do with the Kendall kids?

At last you have it. This is the soldier that Sean Kendall stabbed, the soldier whose body then rose and walked by itself. This is the soldier you got the humerus from—and your powers of necromancy. There's just one thing about the picture; the date of death stamped on it is two weeks before all that happened.

quote:

The interior of The Base is a network of narrow roads, odd embankments, and connected compounds. You crouch behind a low wall.

There seem to be three buildings you could investigate. Nearby, off to your left, a low bunker is topped by various aerials. To your right stands a crude, brick hut without windows. Ahead, in the distance, you can just make out movement around a complex of buildings with connecting walkways. Is that a familiar green-yellow light from one window? Or just your imagination?

Investigate the building with the aerials.
Investigate the windowless building.

Set off towards the main complex.
Leave while you still can.

You lot have been devil-may-care enough that I think you're going to go ahead for the final building anyways, so I'm just going through with that. Feel free to pelt me with small rocks if I've read you wrong.

quote:

A jeep roars past, its headlights picking out a gap you scuttled across only ten seconds ago. Once your eyes readjust to the darkness, you can see a patrol threading its way across the open space, static lights covering the approaches, and a couple of guard posts. Getting to the complex without being caught is going to be tricky.

What approach will you take?

Move fast and try to elude the patrol.
Create a diversion.
Forget about stealth and use the undead in a brute force assault.
Shift from cover to cover to circle around the back of the complex.

Stats posted:

Control: 70% (+1)
Energy: 57%
Luck: 62%
You might as well have erected a sign on your house saying NECROMANCER BASE HERE.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Control is 70%, they already know we are here, brute force ASSAULT. :black101:

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
We're almost out, let's make a distraction, get what we need and go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Word on the Wind posted:

We're almost out, let's make a distraction, get what we need and go.

This is a good plan.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Cover to cover, tactical espionage action!

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Sneak in the rear.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Solid Snake is my hero.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Diversion. The military already knows about the undead, so they will probably investigate and waste a lot of time if one is wandering around.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

This is a sneaking mission

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Circle round to the back.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

It's all about shadows and patience. You match the rhythm of the patrols, flitting from one hidden spot to the next, taking a wide route around the building. The darkness is on your side.

It takes a long time but your way to the complex is finally open. You approach from the rear.

There seem to be three buildings connected by enclosed walkways. Little, orange, glowing motion detectors cover the obvious approaches. Perhaps you could get up onto the roof and find a skylight—

A fire exit crashes open to your right. A young man in a labcoat rushes out and doubles up against the wall. He coughs. The coughs become spasms until it seems like he might throw up into the bushes.

While he is preoccupied, you slip through the open door. Undead feet shuffle after you.

quote:

You prowl the corridors, your horde following closely behind. The company of the undead brings back the confidence you've been lacking for the last half hour. You pass darkened labs, small lecture rooms, blinking in the light from the overhead fluorescents. Details loom out at you: an anatomy skeleton hanging beside a smartboard, a colourful timeline with a small, black skull marked at a different point on each row, a charred outline on a linoleum floor, and a warning notice reading ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT RECURSIVE FATALITY.

Finally, you reach a narrow window through which you can see a working laboratory. Two women and a man in labcoats and safety goggles watch an assortment of liquid-filled glassware on a bench top. They don't appear to have noticed you. What will you examine first?

The experiment in progress.
The scientists involved.
Security precautions.
The lab's facilities.

Stats posted:

Control: 70%
Energy: 57%
Luck: 63% (+1)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let's see what they are working on...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

quote:

a warning notice reading ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT RECURSIVE FATALITY.

That's gotta be one of my favorite phrases in this. :allears:

Gonna vote for the experiment here.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah sure let's figure out what they're even doing in here

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
>look scientists

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Security precautions sounds like the wisest investigation to me.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
We gotta look at the experiment, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You never paid much attention in chemistry class but it seems like three colourless liquids are being combined, one drop at a time. At one stage, the product passes through a gentle flame. At another, it is shaken hard for a period of about ten seconds. And at the end…the mixture has a familiar green/yellow glow.

quote:

Everything goes wrong in an instant. One of your minions leans on the door, which swings open. The undead topples inside, knocking three beakers from the bench. They smash on the floor.

Immediately, the three occupants of the room look up. Usually this would be when they would recoil in fear. But instead, they move in three different directions.

The first woman elbows a nearby glass panel and reaches for the fire axe. The second sprints towards a prominent, red button inside a perspex box on the wall. The man snatches up a phone and begins to dial. Your horde awaits an order.

Prioritise the woman with the axe.
Prioritise the woman racing to the button.
Prioritise the man on the phone.
Try a complicated combo attack.

No change in stats.

• Locked thread