Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Has anyone played stay dead? It's an FMV "round beat'em up like Street Fighter" that seems to play pretty much like an extended QTE. There are a couple trailers on their sick all-caps website. I'm a little disappointed that they don't have a demo, but there are only five opponents so I guess they didn't want to give away 20% of the game for free. Looks fun for a few minutes, but not really worth $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
When did the term 'anime fighter' start getting used? All the qualities of what makes a standard anime fighter used to be called 'Guilty Gear clone.' Except anime fighter is an even more poorly defined term and sometimes used as somewhat derogatory.

Like when a super is excessively long or very over-the-top people call it anime but that describes every fatality in Mortal Kombat yet people don't call it anime. If anything, Mortal Kombat was doing it way before Japanese games were so shouldn't over-the-top supers be called 'American?' It's all pretty silly and nonsensical to me.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
MK is anime though. In fact every fighting game is so yeah

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Trihugger posted:

When did the term 'anime fighter' start getting used? All the qualities of what makes a standard anime fighter used to be called 'Guilty Gear clone.' Except anime fighter is an even more poorly defined term and sometimes used as somewhat derogatory.

Like when a super is excessively long or very over-the-top people call it anime but that describes every fatality in Mortal Kombat yet people don't call it anime. If anything, Mortal Kombat was doing it way before Japanese games were so shouldn't over-the-top supers be called 'American?' It's all pretty silly and nonsensical to me.

It seems like you have to be pretty willfully obtuse to not understand why someone would describe the style of a certain super as being "anime" and why this doesn't really apply to fatalities.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anime fighter, doujin fighter, MK, they're all the same to me, I really don't mind them. Though that doesn't mean I'm going to give Arcana or whatever a try.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

Brosnan posted:

It seems like you have to be pretty willfully obtuse to not understand why someone would describe the style of a certain super as being "anime" and why this doesn't really apply to fatalities.

I've also never heard the term 'anime fighter' used in a derogatory way. Referring to Oni's super as an anime super, witch it totally is, does not make SSF4 an anime fighter. It's much more about the mechanics of a certain game rather than the art style/presentation.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 28, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

uncleKitchener posted:

Though that doesn't mean I'm going to give Arcana or whatever a try.

Youre really missing out

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Trihugger posted:

It does mean GG clone and it is derogatory. Not because anime is bad, but because a whole slew of GG clones by various companies have flooded Japan and all of them are good. That and stupid doshin fighters.

Also MK wasn't doing it first, there were a lot of Japanese fighters prior to MK's release that were pretty out there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
To be honest, I very rarely hear "anime fighter" used in an insulting way. In fact, I hear it used more by fans of the genre to describe anything that plays roughly similar to GG/MB/BB.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Question Mark Mound posted:

To be honest, I very rarely hear "anime fighter" used in an insulting way. In fact, I hear it used more by fans of the genre to describe anything that plays roughly similar to GG/MB/BB.

Depends on your group I guess. A few guys in my group have multiple cabs and anime/animu fighter gets tossed around in a negative fashion because kids at comic con/anime cons only play anime fighters and are horribly bad at them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do they just refer to those games as Guilty Gear clones then? That term just kind of reminds me of back in the day when any FPS was called a Doom clone.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do they just refer to those games as Guilty Gear clones then? That term just kind of reminds me of back in the day when any FPS was called a Doom clone.

animu game = game that plays like GG or like one of it's clones
anime game = game that is actually based off an anime
dojin game = bastardized animu game

And the thing about animu games, is you can play one you pretty much know the basics of the others. For all the bitching and whining about BB (and I agree with a lot of it) the game is obviously closer to guilty gear than any other. It's not all that hard to pick up.

You'll find a lot of people play all the animu games. The know the basics of each well enough to swap between them but are horribly bad at them and don't understand any sort of real tactics. Often caught in a Naruto costume and smeared with Cheeto's ruining your cab while they play.

Also GG clones based off anime had a pretty popular spree in Japan. They don't come to the US and most of them are pretty terrible in one form or fashion. They only one that's passible is Hokuto No Ken. Which requires combo skills and reflexes far beyond MVC2 or MVC3 and nearly any character has an infinite combo on any other. It's so broken it's good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu7cMr8tTX0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJd7RAh09SM&feature=related

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Hey so I don't know if anybody is following Injustice at all but a guy got to go play it at the Fan Expo in Toronto. Apparently the game doesn't actually have a block button, but instead you hold back like traditional fighting games. It was also described as "combo friendly" (meaning new players can mash out a 1/4 health combo).

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

SilentD posted:

Not nearly as stupid as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSlx5_ZLOU and other 1-2 move CCs in Alpha 2.

Why is this stupid? Because it's easy? This looks more like a good reason for a beginner to play A2 than anything.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Trykt posted:

Why is this stupid? Because it's easy? This looks more like a good reason for a beginner to play A2 than anything.

Alpha 2 owns. It just owns.

A3 does not!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Rose is top tier in A2. Therefore, A2 is a good game please give me Soul Illusion back.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Rudger posted:

Alpha 2 owns. It just owns.

A3 does not!

Quoting this not just because I agree but because it is indisputable fact.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dias posted:

Rose is top tier in A2. Therefore, A2 is a good game please give me Soul Illusion back.

It also had the best Guy in any SF (excluding A2Gold).

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

SilentD posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about lmao

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dias posted:

You have no idea how much I wanted Soul Illusion to be her U2 in SSF4.

Also, that Chun CC still makes me laugh, just because it requires one button and no motions. Also, I'm pretty sure the CC does a good 10% more damage if you can mash hard enough to go straight from sweep into lightning legs.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

uncleKitchener posted:

It also had the best Guy in any SF (excluding A2Gold).
I believe he's top tier in Alpha 1 with Ken, but nobody cares about that game.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

iPodschun posted:

I think the only SF as goofy as A1 was SF3 TNG. I did like playing the combined battle vs Bison on the PSX version though. It was rather silly but good times as a kid.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

SilentD posted:

You and your friends are the only people on the planet who think that this is what these terms mean.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

iPodschun posted:

From what I've heard, SFA1 Guy is easily god tier, with Ken and Rose being the only characters capable of competing with him.

Also, I've never really seen SF3 in action, but it's hard to believe it's any goofier than 2I.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

inthesto posted:

Also, I've never really seen SF3 in action, but it's hard to believe it's any goofier than 2I.

Ibuki has a one-button infinite with close s.HK. That's enough for me to make the game hilarious.

Also I think there's something like mashing QCF for simultaneous high and low parry option select.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Went back several changes and didn't find any joystick discussion: my storage space is becoming increasingly rare, are there recommendations for a high-end arcade-style stick that will work on the 360 and PS3 (as in one physical stick that can be hooked up to either console)? The best bet seems to be the Qanba sticks, but wanted to know if anyone had specific experience with them, or if anyone had positive experiences with either similar multi-console sticks (more consoles is better, but at least PS3/360), or a stick + some form of adaptor.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

The Eightarc Fusion is basically a Qanba stick without the start button on the face that works on multiple consoles. I've clumsily mashed on mine for almost a year now and aside from opening it to clean the buttons (I'm a filthy smoker) it's been awesome on both of my consoles and with my computers.

Also if it's worth another $30 to be able to store your stick in tight spaces, I can recommend the Link as well. This winter I was traveling a lot and in a routine where futzing in training mode for an hour was the best way to put myself to sleep in different timezones. I bought one to stash my stick in my suitcase or workbox, it was easy to get used to and I'm pretty sure I prefer its shape to a regular stick now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
My local FGC has been saying good things about the Mayflash PS3/360/PC/PS2 adapter. It's supposedly lagless, but that may just be a placebo effect (same with people claiming it does introduce lag)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have a few friends with Qanbas, and they are fantastic. I've never used an Eightarc but supposedly they're basically exactly the same so I would assume those are good too.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

just a butt posted:

My local FGC has been saying good things about the Mayflash PS3/360/PC/PS2 adapter. It's supposedly lagless, but that may just be a placebo effect (same with people claiming it does introduce lag)

It's important to note that microsoft isn't implementing directinput (the thing thats used by nearly every joystick and adapter ever made) in windows 8. They're only going to be supporting xinput, I imagine so they can charge more companies loyaltys for needing to use their software.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wait, so if you want to sell any kind of controller that works with Windows 8 without some sort of headache, you need to pay MS a licensing fee? But... what?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
No, anything that's going to work with windows 8 needs to use xinput, which is microsofts special xbox controller driver. Companies that make converters, controllers for windows 8 will have to pay microsoft to use xinput for their products.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

univbee posted:

Went back several changes and didn't find any joystick discussion: my storage space is becoming increasingly rare, are there recommendations for a high-end arcade-style stick that will work on the 360 and PS3 (as in one physical stick that can be hooked up to either console)? The best bet seems to be the Qanba sticks, but wanted to know if anyone had specific experience with them, or if anyone had positive experiences with either similar multi-console sticks (more consoles is better, but at least PS3/360), or a stick + some form of adaptor.

Have you looked into a breakout box type of deal?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

I have a qanba, round 1 TE and the big metal SFxT stick.
The others only get used by guests, I will never not use the Qanba.
Never had any issues at a tournament swapping it from 360 to ps3.
Mine came with clear buttons that feel just like seimitsu buttons. They feel nothing like the Sanwa on the TE stick. They didnt specifically state what buttons it came with so be aware of that.

If I was aware of the eightarc sticks, I would have gotten that instead. I never hit the start button on the face, but its always on the back of my mind.
The elive pro sticks have the start on the side and come in awesome colors like hot pink

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 29, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EA Sports posted:

It's important to note that microsoft isn't implementing directinput (the thing thats used by nearly every joystick and adapter ever made) in windows 8. They're only going to be supporting xinput, I imagine so they can charge more companies loyaltys for needing to use their software.

I've been reading through threads here and elsewhere, and searching, and have found no mention of this. If this is true I'm restoring my Windows 7 backup so fast...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

univbee posted:

I've been reading through threads here and elsewhere, and searching, and have found no mention of this. If this is true I'm restoring my Windows 7 backup so fast...

It's not really a big deal at this point. The best controllers for Win 7 are xbox 360-compatible controllers already.

EDIT: And like you, I can't find a single mention of MS dropping DirectInput anywhere but from this thread. If it was true somebody would be making a stink about it already.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 29, 2012

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

univbee posted:

My experience with the Qanba Q4RAF has been pretty mediocre and a lot of the people I know have had similar experiences. I used my TE for a pretty long time and it's still kicking with no problems and in pretty good shape -- the build quality on a Qanba just doesn't seem anywhere near as high. The felt on the bottom gets gross and starts peeling, I've needed to get the wire replaced twice (one died in the middle of a match at ECT, that was cool) despite taking as solid care of it as I could and the mic port at the bottom has never worked which isn't too big of a problem but it's still a thing. A couple of my friends have had similar experiences and switched to using an Eightarc which they claim has better build quality despite it seeming like the same poo poo to me. I can't recommend against it because it's still the only great option that's dual modded out the box, but be prepared to treat it slightly better than you'd have to treat a Madcatz stick.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crackbone posted:

The best controllers for Win 7 are xbox 360-compatible controllers already.

For normal controllers, yes, but my CH FlightStick Pro pre-dates the 360 by a while.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Brett824 posted:

A couple of my friends have had similar experiences and switched to using an Eightarc which they claim has better build quality despite it seeming like the same poo poo to me.
I was under the impression they were exactly the same as the Qanbas as well. I can say that when I ordered mine, I ordered some extra buttons that were a different color with it and immediately got an email asking if/how I wanted them installed before it shipped. At that time at least (Eightarc was pretty new in October last year I think) there seemed to be people actually assembling parts of them per order, maybe that made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Qanbas are Chinese EightArcs (I could be wrong). Personally, if I had some money for a second stick, I would've ordered an EithArc from the US right away.

• Locked thread