Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If I can make a car fart out the Final Fantasy victory theme, sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Borla is doing the same thing with the Mustang Mach E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2Q0uHWBFM

the salesman looks exactly how you think he would

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
That's mean and very true.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

I have no idea what a fake exhaust salesman would look like, so I asked Bing and got this lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mcqueen posted:

The founder's son. Which is a less interesting backstory than the one I thought of after seeing him stirred echoes of a rock bottom Dan Fogler doing his magic show in Balls of Fury.

I care very little about the muscle car era (largely due to car show fatigue) but somehow a Shelby GT-H paint scheme on a loving Mach E even manages to annoy me a bit

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Electric cars need to make Jetson's noises.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably should let electric cars sound like electric cars. We all have an addiction to explosions venting out a metal tube noises because that's been the standard for over a hundred years and has a lot of nostalgia built into it. I assume if people start growing up with electric motor whine they'll appreciate it in their own way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mcqueen posted:

Needs to have sunglasses, preferably with a white frame, propped up along the top of his forehead.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Every time I peck at the touchscreen to change the fan speed in my car, I feel humiliated.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
as you should

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm going to invent a bluetooth fan speed dial and make tons of money

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Failson posted:

Electric cars need to make Jetson's noises.

For real though. As long as it wasn’t part of a subscription service.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm going to invent a bluetooth fan speed dial and make tons of money

You will have been beaten to the punch by xiaomi

Good thing we'll never see such things here thanks to 2024's version of the chicken tax.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I have no idea what a fake exhaust salesman would look like, so I asked Bing and got this lol

I'm sorry but this is incredible. Why is he talking on a phone from the 1920s? Why is it attached to the base by a gas mask hose? Why is it strung through his sleeves?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like that it looks like he's just working beneath an overpass or some poo poo. Like that's definitely dirt on the floor.

But my favorite part is of course he either drives an X6 or is selling them too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm sorry but this is incredible. Why is he talking on a phone from the 1920s? Why is it attached to the base by a gas mask hose? Why is it strung through his sleeves?

big star wars vibes

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Speaking of terrible new cars, I saw a QX60 yesterday that had no exhaust tips, but instead had chrome areas where exhaust tips would be, with shallow indents where the actual exhaust outlet should have been.

I guess it's the electric but what the gently caress?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Speaking of terrible new cars, I saw a QX60 yesterday that had no exhaust tips, but instead had chrome areas where exhaust tips would be, with shallow indents where the actual exhaust outlet should have been.

The QX60 isn't electric.

Look at the exhast tips on the Explorer ST the next time you see one.

Direct injection engines soot when they're cold. black exhaust pipes aren't environmentally friendly looking.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_QX60#Second_generation_(L51;_2022) - it only comes with a turbo 4 or V6

If I zoom really far in on the image on their website, looks like it just has some smol pipes tucked away beneath all the body work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

The QX60 isn't electric.

Look at the exhast tips on the Explorer ST the next time you see one.

Direct injection engines soot when they're cold. black exhaust pipes aren't environmentally friendly looking.

I read somewhere those tips are turned down like that because the cop explorers have that muffler too and the carbon monoxide from them idling the vehicle constantly was getting in the car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BloodBag posted:

I read somewhere those tips are turned down like that because the cop explorers have that muffler too and the carbon monoxide from them idling the vehicle constantly was getting in the car.

The main issue was that upfitters were ruining the sealing on the cars: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/us-closes-ford-suv-exhaust-order-probe-without-seeking-recall-2023-01-23/

quote:

The investigation did find issues with dealers, government fleets and others modifying the Police Interceptor vehicles. So-called "upfitting" -- adding sirens, lights, cages, auxiliary power -- is typically performed by governmental fleet operations, independent repair facilities, or local dealers.

"Sealing issues caused by upfitting were responsible for the highest measured carbon monoxide levels in tested vehicles," NHTSA said while adding the highest levels in consumer vehicles were usually traced to sealing issues caused by rear crash damage.

A ton of cop cars leak water too.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I work on public safety vehicles and to properly outfit one you need to punch a lot of holes in it. They are a nightmare to keep sealed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Literally cheapest general purpose $4 tube silicone used everywhere on them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Alfa announced their 3rd “limited edition” Giulia Quad for the ‘24 model year.

Not a single one has been anything mechanical. It’s all trim bits and stitiching.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

davecrazy posted:

Not a single one has been anything mechanical. It’s all trim bits and stitiching.

Make one with a stick again cowards!!!

Also make the estate concept art I saw :argh:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I work for a company that builds box-type ambulances where everything from the cab-back is custom manufactured and we do seal the poo poo out of the cabs and bodies. Every piercing on the outer skin for mounting hardware and wire-glands gets a heaping blob of what's colloquially called "gak" and the relevant workstations have posters and diagrams to instruct proper application. We also coat the hell out of the bottoms because even the aluminum bodies will "rust" if not properly protected.

Even though we have a service center, we don't want anything coming back because we hosed up as we do stand by our warranty. We even have a whole secondary business operation where we transplant older ambulance bodies onto newer compatible truck chassis as the structure of former is still in good condition and the original latter is all clapped out.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

mental note
when society collapses, ambulances make the best apocalypse vehicles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So many modern cars do this, I've been yabbering about vestigial exhausts for ages. Once you notice it you can't unsee it.

It happens on ICE and electric stuff, the only reason for it being to break up the design of the back end a bit.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It happens on ICE and electric stuff, the only reason for it being to break up the design of the back end a bit.

Yeah at least the Infiniti looks more like a design doodad than a full fake exhaust.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

davecrazy posted:

Manufacturers have been doing this for years.
The worst one I ever remember was the GMC Jimmy "Whistler Blackcomb Edition".
I worked at the dealer and got to install the ski rack on this thing. As I recall it was several hundred extra dollars for a sticker, pinstripe and a ski rack that I as a skier at the time, would not have trusted to actually hold any skis safely.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edward IV posted:

I work for a company that builds box-type ambulances where everything from the cab-back is custom manufactured and we do seal the poo poo out of the cabs and bodies. Every piercing on the outer skin for mounting hardware and wire-glands gets a heaping blob of what's colloquially called "gak" and the relevant workstations have posters and diagrams to instruct proper application. We also coat the hell out of the bottoms because even the aluminum bodies will "rust" if not properly protected.

Even though we have a service center, we don't want anything coming back because we hosed up as we do stand by our warranty. We even have a whole secondary business operation where we transplant older ambulance bodies onto newer compatible truck chassis as the structure of former is still in good condition and the original latter is all clapped out.

Which OEMs are you building boxes for? Which have the best bodybuilder guidelines, and which have the worst documentation?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Literally cheapest general purpose $4 tube silicone used everywhere on them.

Ya, “Upfitting” is better described as “some rear end in a top hat with a sawzall, a holesaw, and a caulking gun going at our cars like a cut-rate surgeon.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Morgan have released a new special edition in collaboration with some Italian company no one's ever heard of.

https://morgan-motor.com/models/midsummer/

It is absolutely incredible and I want one.

Edit:
I totally forgot to include the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfX01nCXKE

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2024

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

harperdc posted:

Which OEMs are you building boxes for? Which have the best bodybuilder guidelines, and which have the worst documentation?

We are technically a Ford dealer but we do offer RAM, Chevrolet, International, and Freightliner chassis as options depending on the body type and weight class. By far and away, though, the vast majority of our builds use Ford F-series truck and E-series cutaway van chassis. RAM truck chassis are the next most common. Chevys barely make a blip with G-series cutaway vans and the Silverado option only exist because of customer/dealer requests/bid-chasing but only a single batch were built and were using customer-supplied chassis. International and Freightliner, I think, are at an even split in their own medium-duty category but we have built off of customer-supplied Peterbilts.

I'm kind of a recent hire so I don't know all the storied dealings we've had with each manufacturer and trying to wrangle technical data and information out of them. Also, we've gotten into the groove of working on the chassis and they haven't substantially changed enough for us over the years to need to get deep into weeds. My only dealings with bodybuilder and documentation was my initial onboarding as an engineer and getting familiar with Ford's documentation which I thought was fairly comprehensive. I don't think I've dabbled much in the other manufacturers because, again, the vast majority of our builds are Fords.

Most of the annoying poo poo we have to deal with is customers wanting weird poo poo or combinations of crap we don't usually do or vendors substantially changing their offerings or getting wiped out by a hurricane as we rush to find a new supplier. Fortunately for the latter case, we had enough units on hand and the consumption rate is so low that we were able to secure a new vendor before it impacted our manufacturing line. These were HVAC systems which every ambulance had to get so it's not like we could say we no longer offered them.

I think the most annoying thing we had to deal with recently with chassis on the mechanical side is when Ford came out with the new '23 model year of the F-series which raised the bottom edge of the rear of the cab. This ended up running foul with some of our console designs which sometimes extends far enough back to run into that new hump. Obviously, the console design was set before we got any '23s on hand (not helped by supply chain shortages pushing deliveries out) and we had to scrap and redesign a number of consoles as more '23s rolled into the lot.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 16, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The guy only drove it like a hundred feet lol

Awesome car tho I love it, wonder if it's typical Morgan with a wood frame

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Morgan have released a new special edition in collaboration with some Italian company no one's ever heard of.

Absolutely gorgeous, but here in MI, I would be terrified to drive a car without a proper windshield. I've bounced enough rocks off the windshields of my cars to know it would only be a matter of time before I took one to the face in that thing.

If I was filthy goddamn rich, it would be a nice ornament for my private concourse.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The guy only drove it like a hundred feet lol

Awesome car tho I love it, wonder if it's typical Morgan with a wood frame

Website said a fuckload of Teak was used “An Homage to Wood”

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

wesleywillis posted:

Manufacturers have been doing this for years.
The worst one I ever remember was the GMC Jimmy "Whistler Blackcomb Edition".
I worked at the dealer and got to install the ski rack on this thing. As I recall it was several hundred extra dollars for a sticker, pinstripe and a ski rack that I as a skier at the time, would not have trusted to actually hold any skis safely.

At least locally, I see "Red River Edition" on pretty much every make/model SUV or pickup. Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Ram in particular. It's mostly just pinstriping and a decal on the back window.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2024

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

They couldn’t make a wood steering wheel too?! Maybe just a wood cover over a metal frame for durability. The black just looks so out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like it's the entire steering column out of a Plus 6.

changing too much would probably require new safety testing/certifications.