Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

xzzy posted:

Giving territories would own. When I was working on getting an economic victory I was having problems with vast chunks of the play area converting to rebel ownership because the AI is so bad at managing their empire. I didn't want to conquer those areas because I needed to use them as trade partners, but the AI refused to attack them on their own.

If I could capture a settlement and hand it over to any faction in the game the whole process would have been a lot smoother. Plus I imagine it'd be a pretty big diplomatic win, giving out land was always a great way to make friends in those times.
Also a way to not end up with 3 villages but no city because the province was held by somebody I wanted to make a satrapy out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There were big problems with province trading in earlier games, but the client/satrapy system in TWR2, I suppose being able to pass regions over to only them would be much better since you're taking a risk by empowering your subjects in exchange for cleaner borders. Meanwhile, it makes sure the AI can't cock up things too badly since they can't pass provinces between sovereign nations.

edit: run on sentence, run on

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 1, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

toasterwarrior posted:

There were big problems with province trading in earlier games, but the client/satrapy system in TWR2, I suppose being able to pass regions over to only them would be much better since you're taking a risk by empowering your subjects in exchange for cleaner borders. Meanwhile, it makes sure the AI can't cock up things too badly since they can't pass provinces between sovereign nations.

edit: run on sentence, run on

Yeah but I want to give Mauretania to the Romans in my game, but I don't want to make them a satrapy first.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

Mans posted:

Companion dogs :3:

Does that mean the handlers are getting it on with the dogs or are the dogs getting it on with eachother? I'm pretty sure at least 1 of those relationships are predestined.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VanSandman posted:

I'd slap a baby for the opportunity to give and demand territory through diplomacy. Does anyone have an idea if that'll ever be possible?

The main trouble is that the AI can be kinda terrible with province trading at times. In Medieval 2, I've never gotten anyone to agree to a province trade that wasn't taken from a peace treaty when I had sky-high honor. In Empire, on the other hand, the AI is so willing to trade it wasn't unusual to end up with Iroquois Hungary or the like. Seriously, Empire would try to trade provinces at the drop of a hat. "Hey, Britain, do you want East Prussia? I'll take Scotland for it!" It was kinda ridiculous.

Not to say that province trading is impossible to do successfully, but apparently it's drat tricky to make it actually useful and to make the AI consider it properly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mindy Tyrone posted:

That's the point though. The Shogun 2 Blood Pack DLC was quite clearly an homage to all the samurai and ninja b-movies that go over the top with the blood effects.

I understand it's the point, but it's not something I was interested in having in the game. The complete lack of blood was just silly though, so I wished there was a middle ground of there being blood without over the top blood effects - though I guess there are mods that do this that I should be looking into.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
Is Fight Club happening tonight?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Petah posted:

Is Fight Club happening tonight?

No, he mentioned something about halloween or something like that.

Chomp8645 posted:

Just a heads up everyone, we won't be having Fight Club this week for Rome 2 on account of Halloween. For anyone interested there is at least a Napoleonic Warfare (the Mount and Blade DLC) event that I've scheduled for 3:00 PM on Sunday. We had around 7 fight clubbers last time and it was a blast!

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Turn terrain to very high if you don't see blood on the ground.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, now I want that province trading idea in for vassals/client states. I just spent 20 or so turns trying to engineer a situation where a vassalized Pergamon could grab the region connecting Asia and Western Greece, and they just wouldn't take it even if I killed all the defenders. I even used the war target thing to get them to move in since an enemy faction got an army into the area, but it still didn't work.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I see blood but none of the new sword animations. Could be down to the fights being so close together that soldiers are basically always clipping through each other, but I would have thought I would have seen something by now. Only mods I'm running are Gotterdammerung and 4TPY so it shouldn't be a conflict issue. Though I'm now wishing I'd got something for the AI agent spam.

When I get ambushed the intro movie runs like poo poo and the battle is the same - 6 frames per second vs 60 normal. Inexplicably, if you bring up the tacmap it fixes it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Rolling into say thank you VanSandman (I think?) for making the Gotterdamung mod. I've been having a blast endlessly rolling from awesome battle to the next and now this game's more alive than it's ever been for me.

I've been playing Macedonia and I really enjoy the army composition involved. I've been rolling with 4 foot companions/4 companion cavalry/4 siege weapons/6 shield bearers/ 2 royal pelatists. My go-to strategy is to spread out the foot companions to 2 ranks deep and line them up directly in front of the siege engines while everything else guards the flanks. Even with such thin lines a pike phalanx is so impossible to break from the front I can completely dead-stop an enemy army of any size on the pikes for long enough to wheel my cavalry around, and I commit my royal pelatists to anywhere the line breaks. It's a very delicate formation but it's extremely fun to manage and organize and the risk of a fuckup keeps me engaged. Compare to Rome where you can basically A-move anything with legions.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thanqol posted:

Rolling into say thank you VanSandman (I think?) for making the Gotterdamung mod. I've been having a blast endlessly rolling from awesome battle to the next and now this game's more alive than it's ever been for me.

I've been playing Macedonia and I really enjoy the army composition involved. I've been rolling with 4 foot companions/4 companion cavalry/4 siege weapons/6 shield bearers/ 2 royal pelatists. My go-to strategy is to spread out the foot companions to 2 ranks deep and line them up directly in front of the siege engines while everything else guards the flanks. Even with such thin lines a pike phalanx is so impossible to break from the front I can completely dead-stop an enemy army of any size on the pikes for long enough to wheel my cavalry around, and I commit my royal pelatists to anywhere the line breaks. It's a very delicate formation but it's extremely fun to manage and organize and the risk of a fuckup keeps me engaged. Compare to Rome where you can basically A-move anything with legions.

Thanks dude!

Also, out of curiosity, why are you running with so many shield bearers and so few royal peltasts? I think if you switched the numbers you've got for each (6 royal peltasts, 2 shield bearers) you'd be a bit happier with the results.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Thanks dude!

Also, out of curiosity, why are you running with so many shield bearers and so few royal peltasts? I think if you switched the numbers you've got for each (6 royal peltasts, 2 shield bearers) you'd be a bit happier with the results.

I imagine he's already got plenty of flanking power with the 4 units of Companion Cavalry. In comparison, I use 6 elite pikes, 4 elite hoplites, 4 cavalry, 4 scorpions, and an onager. Macedon does the advancing wall of death with cavalry wings very well!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

OK, now I want that province trading idea in for vassals/client states. I just spent 20 or so turns trying to engineer a situation where a vassalized Pergamon could grab the region connecting Asia and Western Greece, and they just wouldn't take it even if I killed all the defenders. I even used the war target thing to get them to move in since an enemy faction got an army into the area, but it still didn't work.

All that would happen is that Pergamon builds everything up to random tier 3 buildings, and then loses it all because of starvation and squalor.

Pergamon took Cyprus in my game. I said "Good for them!" They lost Pergamon because they didn't feel like moving an army back home.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
On the topic of barbarian factions, anyone tried to mix spears and swords in one unit? From how I understand variantmesh files, you can, for example, use set mesh variants so that guys with Beard A get Helmet X or Y, while guys with Beard B only get Helmet Z. As far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason you couldn't use the same system to mix different weapon classes, to get around the issue of weapons bones and animations.

Assuming it'd work, my idea was to combine the spear, sword and axe units into "warband" units with a mix of weapons. For example, instead of "Spear Levy", you'd have "Levy Warband" (or whatever) with lots of spears and clubs and a few axes and swords, as well as a few helmets and armour pieces here and there. For higher-tier units, you'd see more swords and axes and fewer spears (and more armour, obviously). Combined with a unit size increase, I think this'd make barbarian armies look more horde-y and pretty different from the other factions'. For elite or noble units you could either use the same system or, if you wanted them to stand out with their lower numbers and more uniform look, keep them as they are.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

peer posted:

On the topic of barbarian factions, anyone tried to mix spears and swords in one unit? From how I understand variantmesh files, you can, for example, use set mesh variants so that guys with Beard A get Helmet X or Y, while guys with Beard B only get Helmet Z. As far as I can tell, there's no obvious reason you couldn't use the same system to mix different weapon classes, to get around the issue of weapons bones and animations.

Assuming it'd work, my idea was to combine the spear, sword and axe units into "warband" units with a mix of weapons. For example, instead of "Spear Levy", you'd have "Levy Warband" (or whatever) with lots of spears and clubs and a few axes and swords, as well as a few helmets and armour pieces here and there. For higher-tier units, you'd see more swords and axes and fewer spears (and more armour, obviously). Combined with a unit size increase, I think this'd make barbarian armies look more horde-y and pretty different from the other factions'. For elite or noble units you could either use the same system or, if you wanted them to stand out with their lower numbers and more uniform look, keep them as they are.

The only barrier I can think of is you have to assign a primary weapon in land_units, and only that weapon will be "usable" by the unit. You might be able to get the unit to display with both swords and axes if you can get the game to show both in the variantmesh, but with spears you'll have to add the sword animations to the sword_shield set (or vice versa), or they'll swing that spear like a one-handed weapon.

Also, I'm not sure if the game will display any weapons that aren't specifically listed in land_units, i.e. when I changed my dog handlers to carry a xiphos instead of a hellenic_dagger, and left both in variant mesh (used the cretan archer as a start point), half the guys held the correct weapon and the other half had empty hands. So there are a couple hurdles you'll have to cross for it to work correctly and look decent.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 2, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Mazz posted:

The only barrier I can think of is you have to assign a primary weapon in land_units, and only that weapon will be "usable" by the guys. You might be able to sneak by with swords and axes if you can get the game to show both in their hands, but with spears you'll have to add the sword animations to the sword_shield set (or vice versa), or they'll swing that spear like a one-handed weapon.

Also, I'm not sure if the game will display any weapons that aren't specifically listed in land_units, i.e. when I changed my dog handlers to carry a xiphos instead of a hellenic_dagger, and left both in variant mesh (used the cretan archer as a start point), half the guys held the correct weapon and the other half had empty hands.

Mixing axes into sword units is trivial, since they use the same animations. Functionally the unit will use the weapon they've got in land_units, which means the axe guy will have the exact same stats as the sword guy, so it's just a cosmetic thing. The problem you had with your dogs is probably because daggers and swords use different animation sets (and different weapon bones in the variantmesh). That's the same hurdle I see with adding spears to sword units, but I think you should be able to get around it by having one set variant in the variantmesh file that uses spears, and one that uses swords. Adding both spears and swords to the same mesh variant won't work, since they use different animations. I won't be able to test this until tomorrow, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, since it works for equipment pieces (and for shields, I think).

peer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

All that would happen is that Pergamon builds everything up to random tier 3 buildings, and then loses it all because of starvation and squalor.

Pergamon took Cyprus in my game. I said "Good for them!" They lost Pergamon because they didn't feel like moving an army back home.

Well that's when you get mods that give them infinite food or whatever because the AI sucks! I just want my pretty borders :qq:

Anyway, Blood & Gore DLC rules:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

peer posted:

Mixing axes into sword units is trivial, since they use the same animations. Functionally the unit will use the weapon they've got in land_units, which means the axe guy will have the exact same stats as the sword guy, so it's just a cosmetic thing. The problem you had with your dogs is probably because daggers and swords use different animation sets (and different weapon bones in the variantmesh). That's the same hurdle I see with adding spears to sword units, but I think you should be able to get around it by having one set variant in the variantmesh file that uses spears, and one that uses swords. Adding both spears and swords to the same mesh variant won't work, since they use different animations. I won't be able to test this until tomorrow, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, since it works for equipment pieces (and for shields, I think).

Unfortunately the animations used are set on a unit level, not in the mesh. There is no way to assign multiple animation sets to the same unit except in the case of units which have multiple stances/states like pikemen (who all have swords as well) etc. You could probably get units to use swords AND spears, but not a mixture of both across a unit.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Wallet posted:

Unfortunately the animations used are set on a unit level, not in the mesh. There is no way to assign multiple animation sets to the same unit except in the case of units which have multiple stances/states like pikemen (who all have swords as well) etc. You could probably get units to use swords AND spears, but not a mixture of both across a unit.
I don't doubt you're right, but then what's the point of the "weapon bone" function in the variantmesh, if the animation set is determined elsewhere?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

peer posted:

I don't doubt you're right, but then what's the point of the "weapon bone" function in the variantmesh, if the animation set is determined elsewhere?

I think it makes sure that the unit holds the weapon correctly, according to this link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?619662-VariantMeshDefinitions-files. Mind you, while it solved my Spear Masters holding their weapons outside of their hands, it didn't solve them vanishing on sync kills or other weird glitches. It didn't do a thing for my sword-equipped Night Hunters either.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

peer posted:

Units still have multiple weapons, which have to be identified somehow. They also need to distinguish between weapons/arrows/etc which animate separately from the unit and other poo poo. Other than weapons the slots are really loose. Some helmets are actually cloaks, there are shields that are props, some unit's skin is actually in the beard slot, etc. The actually name of the weapon slots is likely not set up to allow the unit to distinguish which weapons to draw when.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Glad to see river crossing battles are still a thing:

Suck it Bythia.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Wallet posted:

Units still have multiple weapons, which have to be identified somehow. They also need to distinguish between weapons/arrows/etc which animate separately from the unit and other poo poo. Other than weapons the slots are really loose. Some helmets are actually cloaks, there are shields that are props, some unit's skin is actually in the beard slot, etc. The actually name of the weapon slots is likely not set up to allow the unit to distinguish which weapons to draw when.

Well, so much for my dreams of cool barbarian factions :argh:

I guess I'll just merge sword and axe units into a big warband, and spear units into a "spear warband". Not nearly as fun but better than nothing, perhaps :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Glad to see river crossing battles are still a thing:

Suck it Bythia.

I had a great river battle last night, was a fight I was outnumbered more than 2:1. The way reinforcements showed up, the enemy reinforcements popped up behind me, and my reinforcements popped up behind them. The initial enemy force was quite small, so I had to bum rush the river crossing and hope I could rout them before the main force showed up. I barely made it, the first charge of the reinforcements hit a sacrificial unit just as I got everyone set up on the far side of the river. Pulled the sacrifice back and a massive river right started, five units of hoplites doing what hoplites do best.

There were so many enemies that my infantry got whittled down pretty good, and just as they started to show signs of breaking my reinforcements made it to the fight to provide some relief. All my ranged were out of ammo and the river was black with corpses. After some nail biting the enemy finally started to rout, and once the first unit broke everyone else did too. Easily 1000 enemies tried to flee the battlefield, and I slaughtered anyone I captured for good measure. :black101:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

VanSandman posted:

Thanks dude!

Inertia based off early game hoplite-heavy compositions mostly. I'll give that a try.

Also, I've been packing Heavy Onagers and Giant Ballistas on the grounds that biggest siege weapon is best siege weapon. Assuming money isn't a factor, is there any reason to try smaller things like scorpions?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thanqol posted:

Inertia based off early game hoplite-heavy compositions mostly. I'll give that a try.

Also, I've been packing Heavy Onagers and Giant Ballistas on the grounds that biggest siege weapon is best siege weapon. Assuming money isn't a factor, is there any reason to try smaller things like scorpions?

Scorpions fire a lot faster and more accurately. Polybos' are kinda useless. Personally I've gotten best results with regular ballistas but hey whatever works for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd use the giant ballista if they were movable. But since they aren't, the baby version gets brought to fights.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Scorpions are really good at taking out generals, if the enemy is on the offensive and you position yourself well, you can easily kill him before their melee units have reached you.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Blood and gore DLC gives me Dragon Age 2 flashbacks, so much drat blood everywhere.
I've had civil war today as Seleucia, enemy stacks ran around until I took their only settlement. Then they stopped in forced march stance and haven't moved for 3 turns. They would probably whittle down but my main armies arrived and kicked them :downsgun:.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please tell me the Gladiators fight like Spartacus now :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just took a glance at my time played stat... I've already sunk more hours into this than I have with Skyrim.

:negative:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

VanSandman posted:

I just took a glance at my time played stat... I've already sunk more hours into this than I have with Skyrim.

:negative:

If you're anything like me, 99% of that time is AFK anyway. That and I have like, 0 hours worth of Skyrim. :downs:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
You think that's bad, because of this game I've made a sling, and I'm in the middle of reading a book about the history of catapults. :spergin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, catapults. Trebuchet are way cooler.

But not period accurate I suppose. :v:

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Can someone link me the thread discussing Rome history, that was posted in the last thread?

I forgot to bookmark it, but oh man it's so interesting, kicks the poo poo out of watching the History Channel.

xzzy posted:

Pfft, catapults. Trebuchet are way cooler.

But not period accurate I suppose. :v:

Tell that to the developers of Ryze.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Penakoto posted:

Can someone link me the thread discussing Rome history, that was posted in the last thread?

I forgot to bookmark it, but oh man it's so interesting, kicks the poo poo out of watching the History Channel.

I got you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TerminalSaint posted:

You think that's bad, because of this game I've made a sling, and I'm in the middle of reading a book about the history of catapults. :spergin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KJo9BNpb0 Dont hurt yourself trying to be this cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Penakoto posted:

It's in the OP does nobody read the OP :sigh:

speaking of: :siren: still looking for screenshots of Massagetae, Scythians, Roxolani and Seleucids :siren: and any others if you guys want to post them

• Locked thread