Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah for whatever reason KF displayed reserve ammo in mags, despite just using a big pool like most other games. If you spent the whole first game running around with half-empty guns because of the bad UI, you were just holding yourself back from your true zed-killing potential!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am the shitlord :stare:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
They do show them doing :bustem:TACTICAL:bustem: reloads where you retain the partially full mag, though. Was too busy gawking to see if it had any impact on gameplay or if it was just cosmetic.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

moot the hopple posted:

They do show them doing :bustem:TACTICAL:bustem: reloads where you retain the partially full mag, though. Was too busy gawking to see if it had any impact on gameplay or if it was just cosmetic.
Yeah I was about to post this; I really liked how all the tac reloads had the character stashing the mag away while the dry ones they just dump em. I've wanted that in a game for so long. :allears:

Geight posted:

Yeah for whatever reason KF displayed reserve ammo in mags, despite just using a big pool like most other games. If you spent the whole first game running around with half-empty guns because of the bad UI, you were just holding yourself back from your true zed-killing potential!
I know at least one person in the old KF thread a long time ago stated that they would always fire one round and then buy more ammo because "it gives you one more magazine!" even though it's like you said, it only displays them as mags but it works like the big ammo pool in most games.

E: I just noticed all the empty mags on the ground from people reloading in the video that's awesome

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 28, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I love how the Zeds crawl and move around instead of using the same canned walking animation over and over.It seems to me that headshots a lot harder.Maybe Commandos will actually have to use automatic fire this time instead of setting their gun to semi-auto and popping trash heads with little difficulty. :v:

The enemy animations in general are really cool. You can tell a lot of love was put into making them animate just right. The Fleshpound and Srake in particular have really awesome animations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Berserker player looked like he had huge trouble hitting the crawling enemies, while the Commando players were popping them from miles away in one shot. Commandos better than Berserkers at something confirmed. And the health bar perk looked incredibly useful - so much less wasted ammo from Commando players vs all the others.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Day one purchase. Super pumped about this.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

The Berserker player looked like he had huge trouble hitting the crawling enemies, while the Commando players were popping them from miles away in one shot. Commandos better than Berserkers at something confirmed. And the health bar perk looked incredibly useful - so much less wasted ammo from Commando players vs all the others.

Before the Christmas 2013 update, melee weapons were pretty bad for Crawlers because they didn't have enough reach, so this is just returning back to old KF. At least the Zerk has a dedicated weapon that seems to be useful for things besides Crawler-killing.

Enemy health bars appear as Commando in KF1 as well.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Yeah, I always had a handcannon secondary for my Zerker just for crawlers. At least, until I saved enough for a Grenade Launcher.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I think the problem also was that he was going down an incline of steps when he was fighting the crawlers so he was bouncing off them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Looking at the footage, it seems that fighting outside will be easier so that Sirens and grenade-happy players won't gently caress you over.

Using a special sound to signal that a Scrake or FP has arrives is a really good idea. That should really cut down on teams suddenly being jumped by an FP because nobody bothered to point it out.

I'm disappointed to see that there isn't an "insult players" option this time around.

Rarden
May 20, 2012
Here's hoping the commo rose is either a subset of the available callouts or customisable.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
One thing that made fighting outside seem so much easier in this footage, and maybe it's just this map, is that the enemies were all coming from ground level and not spawning on rooftops and dropping down on you like they tended to do in a bunch of KF1 maps.

I'm also glad to see that the issue of Zeds hitting a railing or small obstacle and hopping on top of them is still there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fina posted:

One thing that made fighting outside seem so much easier in this footage, and maybe it's just this map, is that the enemies were all coming from ground level and not spawning on rooftops and dropping down on you like they tended to do in a bunch of KF1 maps.

I'm also glad to see that the issue of Zeds hitting a railing or small obstacle and hopping on top of them is still there.

Good point. If the outdoors is as easy to hold as it looks, I'm sure they'll tweak it with things like zeds coming from the rooftops after people complain about it enough.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tamayachi posted:

Yeah, I always had a handcannon secondary for my Zerker just for crawlers. At least, until I saved enough for a Grenade Launcher.

As a Commando I would preferentially target crawlers anywhere near zerkers so they could get down to business without those pricks spoiling it.

e: KF still has the most hours played in my games list, despite not having started it up since June last year.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 29, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Gromit posted:

As a Commando I would preferentially target crawlers anywhere near zerkers so they could get down to business without those pricks spoiling it.

I do that as well. After some bad experiences with Crawlers as a newbie Zerk, I always try to clear out Crawlers as soon as they spawn so that Zerks don't have to sorry about killing them. Stalker killing also helps so your Zerks don't bump into a nasty surprise when they're moving around.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

closeted republican posted:

Enemy health bars appear as Commando in KF1 as well.

Yeah, but in KF2 you can't just easily headshot a dozen approaching clots without any issue because they bounce around so much. Health's gonna matter because you'll be forced to go for body shots more.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I just hope that the shooty-bullet weapons are hitscan. Actually, now that I think about it, didn't they say something about that a long time ago?

Rarden
May 20, 2012
Going from the videos it seems everything is a projectile now, so unless they have a railgun weapon stashed away I don't think we'll be seeing any hitscan stuff besides possibly medic darts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah one of the things I noticed was you can actually see your own bullets flying away when you're firing down the sights, I like that though. It also looks like all (?) guns have a quick melee attack a la L4D? That sounds super useful for interrupting lighter zed attackers like Gores and the new BuffClots. Zombies shouldn't be in better shape than I am :(

Only visual gripes I'd have are that the outdoor portions bloomed the gently caress out in Zed Time, I hope that only happens in these specific whiteout conditions, it was pretty annoying. Also I kept getting confused between players' health and armor in the UI, probably get used to it eventually.

Do broken doors not respawn after each wave now? If not that will really change the strategies being used in KF1 where you can keep rewelding the same doors every wave to start things off. Now you'd actually have to plan what doors to block off when, and once they're gone they're gone.

Finally, as a longtime zerker, it was comforting to see that the rest of the team still focuses on whatever trash zed the zerker is currently running towards. Why thank you lv6 Sharpshooter, my katana would definitely not have been able to handle that single Clot I just ran halfway across the map towards, thanks for popping its head just before I get there :wave:

Wanna play this game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Finally, as a longtime zerker, it was comforting to see that the rest of the team still focuses on whatever trash zed the zerker is currently running towards. Why thank you lv6 Sharpshooter, my katana would definitely not have been able to handle that single Clot I just ran halfway across the map towards, thanks for popping its head just before I get there :wave:

I am so bad at this and I don't know why. I tend to be like a babysitter in co-op games so when I see someone close to an enemy or meleeing an enemy I keep thinking they need help and open up with both barrels. The worst thing I think I did was toss a grenade when a zerker was surrounded by clots thinking, "This will free him!".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Red Mundus posted:

I am so bad at this and I don't know why. I tend to be like a babysitter in co-op games so when I see someone close to an enemy or meleeing an enemy I keep thinking they need help and open up with both barrels. The worst thing I think I did was toss a grenade when a zerker was surrounded by clots thinking, "This will free him!".

I'm a relatively new player, and Zerker is my favorite class; I just can't be mad at people who blow me up trying to be helpful :shobon: I'm still bad about staying out of the line of fire, haven't quite gotten that down.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm a relatively new player, and Zerker is my favorite class; I just can't be mad at people who blow me up trying to be helpful :shobon: I'm still bad about staying out of the line of fire, haven't quite gotten that down.

Berzerker is a fantastic class, especially when you get the buzzsaw bow with the katana. Then, essentially, you can handle just about any zed alone up to Hell on Earth difficulty, where you really shouldn't be alone anyways but you just gotta deal with getting nicked a few times if you know what you're doing.

I'm more partial to Sharpshooter though. Mainly because it's downright overpowered and broken if you're good at the whole aiming thing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takes No Damage posted:

Wanna play this game.

it's not my fault they got caught up on the wrong side of my shotgun barrel

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
It looked kind of....easy to me. Like easier than KF 1. I'm hoping that's possibly a combination of them having high level characters and maybe an easier setting / test build? They all played pretty poorly, but that's expected from the majority of game reviewers, like it's part of the job description or something. Anyhow, the game looks great. I just hope it's not that much of a walk in the park always.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

lilspooky posted:

It looked kind of....easy to me. Like easier than KF 1. I'm hoping that's possibly a combination of them having high level characters and maybe an easier setting / test build? They all played pretty poorly, but that's expected from the majority of game reviewers, like it's part of the job description or something. Anyhow, the game looks great. I just hope it's not that much of a walk in the park always.

Yeah they are playing maxed out Perks on Normal difficulty, today they should be putting up a video of HoE gameplay.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ well that's a hell of a snipe... But good, I'm interested to see the difference in difficulty levels.

They didn't seem to take much damage from anything, I assume it was on Normal tops. In KF1 HoE they would have wiped to Sirens multiple times.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 29, 2015

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I guess it's cheating but ever since it came out I've used nothing but the dwarf axe as bezerker. :saddowns:

edit: It's just awesome having 1 button that sends zeds flying and one button to instagib them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I want to see how many people will try to kite with Zerk ASAP when KF2 comes out and watch how fast they die.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of them came close to dying on Normal with maxed out skills.

Top tier scrubs :smug:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Every pre-release gameplay video it feels like people have to be reminded that the dudes that write about (and make!) video games are probably not as good at video games as you, because they do something else with their free time other than play video games.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

HoE Footage :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lACTZaHMj84

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sKKbTFfRdw

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
Now that's what i'm talking about! Hell yeah! So glad HOE looks difficult, I know they had full perks on normal, and normal turns to baby mode when you know what you're doing but man, it's refreshing to see them get just loving railed.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
It's Bill. If you told me Bill never knew about KF until the day before he was to play, I'd believe you.

This is more what I'm use to. Disorderly teams on normal. Also they don't have full perks either. You can see the guy level up in the video. The UI is very nice.

HoE video shows scoreboard for a brief second, it has all the info the current KF one has. Dosh, HP, kills, ping in numbers. Game is good. Give me the game Tripwire. Don't you want my dosh?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Theta Zero posted:

Berzerker is a fantastic class, especially when you get the buzzsaw bow with the katana. Then, essentially, you can handle just about any zed alone up to Hell on Earth difficulty, where you really shouldn't be alone anyways but you just gotta deal with getting nicked a few times if you know what you're doing.

I'm more partial to Sharpshooter though. Mainly because it's downright overpowered and broken if you're good at the whole aiming thing.

You'd need better than a katana on HoE since it can't stunlock scrakes. If you were planning on buzzsawing them, a scrake requires 2 shots to down on that difficulty, which is problematic because 1) you only have 16 ammo capacity and 2) you risk aggroing not only the scrake but other enemies in a line behind it, namely more scrakes.

Pro loadout for HoE was claymore (can stunlock scrakes, has range to bat lunging crawlers, kills in an arc as opposed to single-hitting like katana, good compromise in attack speed/damage) the LAR (looping reload for run and gunning, two-shots sirens and husks, can stun husks in one headshot), and whatever else you want. I choose flares because it winnows trash down and carries oodles of ammo.

EDIT: old school loadout was katana, axe, and LAR. Claymore added so much versatility and opened the weight selection for more loadout choices :black101:

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 29, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Fat is beautiful.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
:vince: Goddamn I want to play this game. I love the way Biotics goes to poo poo on wave 3. This looks exactly what I was hoping for with a KF sequel. I'm wondering if there's any way to show how many team members are dead that you can see on the fly. Like under where it says the wave number, maybe a skull pops up for every team member that gets dead. Or not I don't know. I just want to kill zeds.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Each of these videos is like a massive kick in the balls it looks so good but Christ so I need this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How the gently caress am I going to wait for this game :(.

• Locked thread