Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Astrofig posted:

Tumblr is going to poo poo itself over this episode.

'OMFG TEH TRANSMISOGINEEEE!!!!11111'

Nick was clearly the villain of this episode. And all future episodes.
He's basically Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Yeahhh, I felt really bad for the guy/girl/them. Imagine having your close conjoined twin taken from you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ETB posted:

Yeahhh, I felt really bad for the guy/girl/them. Imagine having your close conjoined twin taken from you.

I guess the takeaway from this episode is if you really care about your loved ones you don't make them accessory to murder :shrug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I actually felt sorry for Adalind when she said that line...Will wonders never cease?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did they seriously just write-out Victor off-screen?

Contract dispute?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I actually felt sorry for Adalind when she said that line...Will wonders never cease?

Same. I was like "wow, poor Adalind, I never thought of it that way."

Then my wife pointed out that Adalind was the bitch planning to sell her baby for cash money in the first place and I felt less bad.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the thread title change, Deadpool!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Claire Coffee usually does good work with the material she's given. It's not her fault that the writers give her such bad plots.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did they seriously just write-out Victor off-screen?

Contract dispute?

I doubt it. This seems more like a case of "now Adalind can't solve her problem by sleeping with Viktor". Not that it was a good plan to begin with since I'm pretty sure having a second Royal-blood baby would be more trouble than she hoped for. Especially since they can test for royal blood. (Unless the theory of the Royals being Royal Grimms is true.)

I suspect that Adalind will try and sleep with King Frederick instead, with all that associated drama. Oh Goodie. :geno:

johntfs posted:

1. The person who the "created h-bs are more powerful" was Rosalee, who stated she didn't know much about it and at the time was stressed at the prospect of Monroe getting burned at a stake that was also impaling him.

2. You're assuming that Juliette's transformation was an accident.

3. Again, you assume this whole thing was accidental.

I would probably be pleased if Juliette's transformation was intentional, because it would make more sense, but I don't get the sense that's what the writers intended.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 28, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If Claire Coffee has blackmail material on the writers, they should just have Adalind's surprise twin sister, Linda, kill Adalind and join Team Grimm.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I was really feeling the fourth wall when she was just stating her thoughts out loud to no-one (the audience).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think there was a line last night along the lines of "so we're just winging it? I guess so!", which I think is meta-commentary by the writers. :v:

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I don't even know where to begin...

Victor just being conveniently written off. With some King of loving something (Vienna?) just showing up in Portland to not scold her without Reynard being told: "Hey, so there is a diplomatic envoy coming from Vienna asking for protection/recognition."

Then the spoiler of handsome prince #4? (Sean, Eric, Victor, now this guy) confronting Sean and, apparently going toe-to-toe with him. Maybe now we can figure out what the gently caress is special about royal blood, because, remember, Zauberbeist straight up strangled another Wesen (blutbaud?) in the tribunal episodes. There is no way renard isn't more powerful than a normal human, unless we finally figure out what the hell is so special about royal blood. Oh, but he has it too. So, again, GODDAMNIT WRITERS!

This show just sucks. It makes no goddamn sense. Hexenbeist this. Royal blood that. No cohenrency whatsoever. And did we really need to see some stupid actor hamming it up in drag in the precinct for wesen of the week? Get me Trubel. Remember, Nick, "no grimm has come out alive" from dealing with one of them. You decapitorie that rear end in a top hat/bitch and you prove you are a Grimm. He looked at you like, "oh, a Grimm? Cool. Eat acid." That should NOT FLY with a Grimm. Yet you are a worthless one and act like the law is all you adhere to.

Oh, and Adalind. Jesus. "I will just gently caress someone else" yea. That is all your character can do. Where is Trubel with a machete?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JD Bucks 7 posted:

This show just sucks. It makes no goddamn sense. Hexenbeist this. Royal blood that. No cohenrency whatsoever. And did we really need to see some stupid actor hamming it up in drag in the precinct for wesen of the week? Get me Trubel. Remember, Nick, "no grimm has come out alive" from dealing with one of them. You decapitorie that rear end in a top hat/bitch and you prove you are a Grimm. He looked at you like, "oh, a Grimm? Cool. Eat acid." That should NOT FLY with a Grimm. Yet you are a worthless one and act like the law is all you adhere to.

The law is what Nick adheres to when he can, that's why the wesen who get to know him mostly like him.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I don't even know where to begin...

Victor just being conveniently written off. With some King of loving something (Vienna?) just showing up in Portland to not scold her without Reynard being told: "Hey, so there is a diplomatic envoy coming from Vienna asking for protection/recognition."

Then the spoiler of handsome prince #4? (Sean, Eric, Victor, now this guy) confronting Sean and, apparently going toe-to-toe with him. Maybe now we can figure out what the gently caress is special about royal blood, because, remember, Zauberbeist straight up strangled another Wesen (blutbaud?) in the tribunal episodes. There is no way renard isn't more powerful than a normal human, unless we finally figure out what the hell is so special about royal blood. Oh, but he has it too. So, again, GODDAMNIT WRITERS!

First off, "...and repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax..."

What's special about Royal blood? What's special is the same thing that's special about Kennedy blood or Rockefeller blood or Trump blood. It signifies that you are part of a family with extreme amounts of wealth, power and privilege. As a bonus, the Royals have a good deal of influence/authority over a lot of Wesen, so they can access supernatural power as well. Maybe this new prince is someone with Wesen blood in him as well.

It's likely that Viktor was "written off" (or just written aside for a while) because Alexis Denisof is a regular on another show and just did not have time to be a recurring character on Grimm right now. He wasn't killed, just sent back to Vienna.

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Oh, and Adalind. Jesus. "I will just gently caress someone else" yea. That is all your character can do. Where is Trubel with a machete?

As another poster notes below, Nick prefers to follow the law (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) as much as possible and to kill only in true self-defense or defense of others. It's one reason that he's got a very good reputation (for a Griimm) among the Wesen community in Portland.

As for Adalind, well, she's pretty much the queen of bad/stupid ideas, so no surprises there.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Astrofig posted:

Tumblr is going to poo poo itself over this episode.

'OMFG TEH TRANSMISOGINEEEE!!!!11111'

Hey, they're not wrong. "A woman AND a man!?! That's insane!" It's Portland. There's no way Nick & friends wouldn't be aware of people who are trans.

I guess what I'm saying is...I agree with Tumblr?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Xealot posted:

Hey, they're not wrong. "A woman AND a man!?! That's insane!" It's Portland. There's no way Nick & friends wouldn't be aware of people who are trans.

I guess what I'm saying is...I agree with Tumblr?

At least Munroe kinda called out how hosed up it was.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Xealot posted:

"People who are trans" is a pretty big difference from "Worm-monster who can transform from woman to man at will." Yeah, Nick and friends probably have plenty of experience with folks who are somewhere on the spectrum of gender other than one of the two standard settings, but it's still pretty reasonable to be shocked at meeting a man and a woman LITERALLY living in the same body that shapeshifts back and forth whenever they want.

Tumblr just never misses any excuse to get angry about something.

Insanity Prawn posted:

At least Munroe kinda called out how hosed up it was.
Yeah, and nobody in the room disagreed. But nobody had a better idea, and the only real alternatives were "Ignore them and let the murderers continue conning" or "Just kill 'em." A cop can't arrest the lady with no criminal record, can't find the guy to arrest if he's hiding inside the lady. Neither of them was an innocent, she did straight-up murder a dude to get this episode started. Considering how any past Grimms would have handled this situation, Nick still only killed half as many Wessen. (if it's even permanent)

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Oh, and Adalind. Jesus. "I will just gently caress someone else" yea. That is all your character can do.
Yeah, that character is a loving trainwreck.

Hell, her intensely pathetic "Oh, I'll gently caress a prince!" scheme may have even been upgraded to "I'll gently caress the King!" mere seconds after formulating it, and entirely by pure dumb luck.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 29, 2015

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

"People who are trans" is a pretty big difference from "Worm-monster who can transform from woman to man at will." Yeah, Nick and friends probably have plenty of experience with folks who are somewhere on the spectrum of gender other than one of the two standard settings, but it's still pretty reasonable to be shocked at meeting a man and a woman LITERALLY living in the same body that shapeshifts back and forth whenever they want.

Tumblr just never misses any excuse to get angry about something.

Yeah, and nobody in the room disagreed. But nobody had a better idea, and the only real alternatives were "Ignore them and let the murderers continue conning" or "Just kill 'em." A cop can't arrest the lady with no criminal record, can't find the guy to arrest if he's hiding inside the lady. Neither of them was an innocent, she did straight-up murder a dude to get this episode started. Considering how any past Grimms would have handled this situation, Nick still only killed half as many Wessen. (if it's even permanent)
I thought much the same, not to mention that Sheworm and Heworm also viewed one another as distinct individuals, which is much closer to split personality disorder than it is to transgendered identity in terms of human equivalent.
If it is permanent then the personality who committed murder was effectively executed by Nick the Grimm. If it is not permanent then both personalities were imprisoned by Nick the cop.

I am kind of looking forward to Juliette the Hexenbiest now that she has Adalind's grimoire. Juliette does not gently caress around when it comes to research and problem-solving when she is in her right mind.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

BarbarousBertha posted:

I am kind of looking forward to Juliette the Hexenbiest now that she has Adalind's grimoire. Juliette does not gently caress around when it comes to research and problem-solving when she is in her right mind.
Seriously. Veterinary school is no joke.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Hobo posted:

"People who are trans" is a pretty big difference from "Worm-monster who can transform from woman to man at will."

A genderfluid worm wesen...who shape shifts, I guess. It's really the shape-shifting that's complicated.

"But Nick, which one is he? I mean, really?!"

"Ze, Hank. Which one is ze...and neither, or maybe both."

:smuggo:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am still not happy with the "I'll run away from Nick and go to the guy I had a magic crush on that almost ruined my relationship" soap plot. It seems they're out of ideas and don't want to advance the actual plot too much so they come up with that poo poo.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Juliette has started down the annoying path again. I hope they write at as her just being extremely freaked out, because when she showed Nick what she is now and he recoiled, she came across as more upset he wasn't immediately okay with it, rather than possibly understanding that his pretty hot girlfriend just turned into a repulsive corpse-thing right in front of him with no warning. I'm pretty sure anyone would react poorly to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I am still not happy with the "I'll run away from Nick and go to the guy I had a magic crush on that almost ruined my relationship" soap plot. It seems they're out of ideas and don't want to advance the actual plot too much so they come up with that poo poo.

She's run away to the one person she knows that she trusts and who might be able to help. I fail to see your problem with this.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Kruller posted:

Juliette has started down the annoying path again. I hope they write at as her just being extremely freaked out, because when she showed Nick what she is now and he recoiled, she came across as more upset he wasn't immediately okay with it, rather than possibly understanding that his pretty hot girlfriend just turned into a repulsive corpse-thing right in front of him with no warning. I'm pretty sure anyone would react poorly to that.
When Juliet saw herself in Hexenface for the first time, she started screaming in terror. But her boyfriend had better be instantly and totally comfortable with it on first sight or he's an rear end in a top hat. It's not like he's got any reason to be especially scared of the idea of a Hexenbiest taking Juliet's form to try to harm them... y'know, aside from when that happened recently.

Imagine if your significant other were to suddenly pop their eye out during dinner, then explain that they lost the real eye in an accident a month ago and went through a lot of effort to hide that fact from you because they didn't trust you. How would you react at first? Now replace "glass eye" with "The face of my enemy that has been haunting my nightmares and trying to destroy me and all that I love."

I'm just saying, their relationship has always had some serious-rear end communication problems.

Tahirovic posted:

I am still not happy with the "I'll run away from Nick and go to the guy I had a magic crush on that almost ruined my relationship" soap plot.
Renard was the logical choice of someone to ask for help, because of all the people she can trust, he's the one with the most Hexenbiest experience. It's the initial running away from Nick part that is the real issue. She just doesn't actually trust Nick, and that is a plot-point this show has already run into the ground, maybe even more than Adalind's baby problems.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 30, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

She's run away to the one person she knows that she trusts and who might be able to help. I fail to see your problem with this.

I feel there would be a lot more logical choices, the first being actually handling this with Nick, not running away to your recent almost boyfriend. Rosalie would also be a better option, she's wesen and they have actually spent time together outside of a love potion plot, they're actual friends. To me Renard and Juliette are more acquaintances and not real friends and I question how much trust there could really be, this makes him a worse choice than Nick/Rosalie.

What interesting outcome could this third rehash of relationship problems between Nick and Juliette have? We know they wont split up because the writers are to limited to pull that one off, instead there will be some magical solution to this by the end of the season and Nick is gonna be happy to have her back. Nothing advances plot wise, they'll be where they were at the start of this season.

Edit: vvvv other priorities, I feel going to a friend is more important than going to a wesen of the same kind, Rosalie as one of Juliette's better friends (that we know of) should have more trust. Juliette and the captain aren't close friends in my view.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I feel there would be a lot more logical choices, the first being actually handling this with Nick, not running away to your recent almost boyfriend. Rosalie would also be a better option, she's wesen and they have actually spent time together outside of a love potion plot, they're actual friends. To me Renard and Juliette are more acquaintances and not real friends and I question how much trust there could really be, this makes him a worse choice than Nick/Rosalie.

What interesting outcome could this third rehash of relationship problems between Nick and Juliette have? We know they wont split up because the writers are to limited to pull that one off, instead there will be some magical solution to this by the end of the season and Nick is gonna be happy to have her back. Nothing advances plot wise, they'll be where they were at the start of this season.

I don't know what you're smoking, but it's drat rude of you not to offer to share. Nick already wants Juliette back. He's the one saying that they need to fix it if they can and come to terms with it if they can't. Juliette is not ready to do that, on the very good basis that she's become a type of wesen that has in some way hosed Nick over at every turn - albeit unintentional in Elizabeth Renard's case - and has the side issue of literally being a living corpse, which puts a damper on romance for most reasonable people. She clearly does want to be back with Nick, but she doesn't see how they can come to terms with it and she's already been told it can't be fixed. It's hardly unreasonable or illogical that she wants to get out before hurting Nick any more or building up false hope.

Your argument that Juliette would have been better going to Rosalie is also flawed for several reasons. First, Rosalie being wesen is not necessarily a plus point because most wesen rightly distrust hexenbiests. She would probably react much the same way Nick did. Second, if Juliette is better off going to Rosalie because they're both wesen, then you're acknowledging that hexenbiests are wesen and so Renard is wesen as well. She is therefore better off going to a wesen who is the same kind of wesen, especially when that type of wesen typically has a hell of a lot more capacity to fix magical trauma than a fuchsbau apothecary. Suggesting she goes to Rosalie over Renard is like recommending a cancer patient goes to see an aromatherapist before their oncologist.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
A friend of mine has a theory that Juliette turning into a hexenbiest is also effecting her 'soul', or will make her become 'evil', rather than just give her special powers she is in control over. I doubt the show runners would go that way.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So, I tried to think of what evil schemes Adalind has hatched during the course of the series. I decided to omit any "scheme" that was actually just "Show up at a place and attack someone" because those hardly count, and never work anyway. The entire quest to get her powers back shouldn't count either, since it wasn't any real plan on her part, just several factions pushing her around like a pawn.
  • gently caress Hank as part of a plan to turn him against Nick.
  • Poison Juliet.
  • gently caress Renard to intentionally get knocked up.
  • gently caress Nick for revenge.
  • gently caress The Prince/King to trick him into thinking he's her baby-daddy.
So of five evil schemes, four were basically "gently caress a dude." Also, she went from loving one man to intentionally get pregnant, and then in her very next scheme hosed a man and was completely shocked that she had gotten pregnant from it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

She didn't gently caress Renard (or his half brother) to get knocked up though, it sorta just fell into place once she got depowered. You give her too much credit.
EDIT:

I always just assumed getting pregnant by Renard was her intention, considering how pleased she seemed when her pregnancy test came up positive afterward. You could definitely be right, I was making that assumption a few seasons back, when Adalind having an intelligent plan still seemed plausible. That scheme was a failure on every possible level anyway, so either version of the events still leaves her looking like an idiot.

Either way, she still fails as just a regular ol' sexually active woman for apparently not considering that her "I'll bone the Grimm" scheme should probably include some form of contraception.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 1, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
She didn't gently caress Renard (or his half brother) to get knocked up though, it sorta just fell into place once she got depowered. You give her too much credit.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

PowerBuilder3 posted:

A friend of mine has a theory that Juliette turning into a hexenbiest is also effecting her 'soul', or will make her become 'evil', rather than just give her special powers she is in control over. I doubt the show runners would go that way.

I think 'evil' is a good way to put it. Henrietta explained that Juliette had access to "a primal force of nature." Nature is many things, but good or kind aren't one of them. Nature is about survival of the fittest by any means necessary. Channeling something like that through a human with a lot of buried anger and resentment could result in some interesting outcomes.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Robot Hobo posted:

She just doesn't actually trust Nick, and that is a plot-point this show has already run into the ground, maybe even more than Adalind's baby problems.

No man, just no. Adalind needs to go and soon.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Martout posted:

No man, just no. Adalind needs to go and soon.

Seriously she is the worst character.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

Either way, she still fails as just a regular ol' sexually active woman for apparently not considering that her "I'll bone the Grimm" scheme should probably include some form of contraception.

Hexenbeasts know how to morph themselves into other people, bring someone back from the brink of death, curse them to start eatin their couch... they have to have some supernaturally effective birth control methods.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

johntfs posted:

I think 'evil' is a good way to put it. Henrietta explained that Juliette had access to "a primal force of nature." Nature is many things, but good or kind aren't one of them. Nature is about survival of the fittest by any means necessary. Channeling something like that through a human with a lot of buried anger and resentment could result in some interesting outcomes.

Evil is a very bad way to describe nature, for all the reasons you described. It isn't good or kind, but nor is it evil or cruel.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Robot Hobo posted:

Considering how fricking fertile the lady is I don't understand how she's not saddled with kids already? This has apparently been her modus operadi for some time.

Also, this show is horrible and this is the first episode I could not finish.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah I like the procedural aspects of this show and the Wesen of the Week works quite well (because Law and Order, but with fairytales is what sold me 3 years ago) because putting them together means we get stuff like the Wesenrein arc but the keys and the Royals and Adalind getting knocked up, not doing it for me. It bores me and it isn't exciting because, surprise, surprise, I don't give a gently caress about Adalind and her terrible life choices, I care about Nick learning about new Wesen and collaborating with his partners and his Wesen allies to solve local problems, or try to re-write centuries old laws that make no loving sense in the 21st century.

I'll also admit that I like watching this show because it fulfills my body horror quota :v: and I like it when those limits are pushed, like with the bot fly episode

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It is indeed on tonight.

4x16 – “Heartbreaker”
The search is on for a beautiful Wesen who murders its admirers out of self-defense.

:siren: Grimm has moved from 9 PM to 8 PM. Change your PRV timing's accordingly.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Or 2 AM Saturday, because stupid baseball show.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

Or 2 AM Saturday, because stupid baseball show.

Or next day on Hulu because the fucktard cable company has made those channels unwatchably staticky.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The preview was mind-numbingly stupid. They're actual going in the worst possible direction with the show that they could've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

The preview was mind-numbingly stupid. They're actual going in the worst possible direction with the show that they could've.

Maybe... maybe they're just all out of shits to give. :smith:

Edit: God, I got through that episode in about 10 minutes. These writers need to be replaced.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 4, 2015

• Locked thread