Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

3 liter bottles of White Lightning are the true "I am a teenager and I want to get drunk for as little money as possible" kings.

I think that was the go to round here when I was in school.

Speaking of horrible drinks, am I the only person who thinks strongbow doesn't taste of anything? It's weird, I quite like cider but strongbow has zero taste, just faintly bitter and fizzy, like someone carbonated the drinking fountain water from when you were in primary school and the building still had lead pipes. It's astonishing how popular it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What about lambrini, signature drink of "I'm from Insch and the cornershop replaces the void in my soul where my kitchen's cupboard used to be".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's the word on Cage losing its sponsors? Are they just getting hung out to dry for saying politically-uncomfortable things, or are they genuinely sketch?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

3 liter bottles of White Lightning are the true "I am a teenager and I want to get drunk for as little money as possible" kings.

If you've not got a hold of this with some of your mates and woken up with a hangover so severe it could be tried as a Crime Against Humanity, you've not done being a British teenager right. :britain:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Not one mention of Hooch. For shame.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Cage is pretty sketchy.

It was founded during the anti-Iraq-war movement that briefly built alliances between antiwar leftists and Muslim activists (see also: Respect party) but, unlike Respect, it hasn't been transparent enough to continually purge traces of unpalatable antisemitism or antifeminism from within its ranks as Respect has been obliged to do, or to be influential enough to face a demand for such transparency, really.

There's a level of niche activism where one can say "I refuse to condemn our comrades-in-arms, even if I don't approve of their methods" without getting purged, and Cageprisoners survived in that niche.

But now with ISIS/Emwazi, Rotherham, and the resurgent strength of feminism amongst the broader left (see: SWP rape scandal), suddenly any Muslim activist group must move even further left in a hurry or risk getting expelled from respectable society. I guess Cageprisoners/Cage has failed to keep up, rebranding or not - as the Tax book observes, they have some pre-existing ideological alignment with the idea of pan-Muslim-community armed jihad as an abstract theological generality, rather than in the form in which Jihadi Johns make uncomfortable Youtube videos. But eventually every communist has to decide whether Soviet affiliation is worth the image problem of tanks in Czechoslovakia, so to speak.

ronya fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 9, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

We used to get a half bottle of vodka and drink it straight behind the bus stop. If I tried that now I think I would die.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oberleutnant posted:

Not one mention of Hooch. For shame.

I know, people act like alcopops were never really a problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder why Four Loko never tried exporting to the UK. It seems like the ideal terrible market for that, and it can't really be worse than Buckfast.

On the plus (?) side, Jameson is going to be cheap for the next week.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
When we were kids we would drink either White Strike (horrible scum cider, the name sounds a bit jarring thinking about it) or sometimes Merrydown, in a bunch of trees in the park.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/mar/08/families-of-bethnal-green-isis-runaways-demand-police-apology

You have to admit this comes across as almost farcically amateur? If it wasn't such a serious issue it would be comical. The security services actually gave the girls a letter to take home instead of posting it/ringing them.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
... no? Do you really want the Met to be informing on the choices of friends made by 15 year olds to their parents on the suspicion that they would do similarly stupid - not yet criminal, but stupid - things? Especially if the relevant activity is something as unpredictable as political extremism?

Hey. Hey, kid. We'll tell your parents you post on a forum full of godless commies.

"We would have taken steps" - steps like what? This is a Western developed liberal democracy, it's not going to empower parents to lock their 15yo daughters at home. There's certainly no obligation for the police to be informing on your kid.

Of course the Met gave them a letter to take home, it wasn't a letter intended to inform parents of the political dalliances of their child, it was a letter intended to ask the rents for permission to take statements from the kid. If the kid herself doesn't want to give a statement, then what's the damned point. You can hardly coerce a statement from her.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wasn't it a letter to all parents / guardians of all the kids at that school, not just the 3 who were friends with her?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
The RMT has started balloting on the Network Rail pay rise for ops, maintenance and customer services (basically all front line staff), following a 0% offer.

Union is recommended rejection and threatening strike action, which would be the first national signalling strike since ~1994. Just in time for the election...

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ronya posted:

... no? Do you really want the Met to be informing on the choices of friends made by 15 year olds to their parents on the suspicion that they would do similarly stupid - not yet criminal, but stupid - things? Especially if the relevant activity is something as unpredictable as political extremism?

Hey. Hey, kid. We'll tell your parents you post on a forum full of godless commies.

"We would have taken steps" - steps like what? This is a Western developed liberal democracy, it's not going to empower parents to lock their 15yo daughters at home. There's certainly no obligation for the police to be informing on your kid.

Of course the Met gave them a letter to take home, it wasn't a letter intended to inform parents of the political dalliances of their child, it was a letter intended to ask the rents for permission to take statements from the kid. If the kid herself doesn't want to give a statement, then what's the damned point. You can hardly coerce a statement from her.

Errr?

They still could have posted it.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder why Four Loko never tried exporting to the UK. It seems like the ideal terrible market for that, and it can't really be worse than Buckfast.

Dragon soup.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

reminder that the trial of the century is due to end this week.
no doubt will fill plenty of column inches over the weekend.

http://jewdas.org/what-is-actually-on-trial-in-the-lutfur-rahman-case/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Cerv posted:

for the interested, the PWC report: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/best-value-inspection-of-london-borough-of-tower-hamlets

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
After mocking Scotland last week it's only reasonable I point out that the bunch of chucklefucks responsible for English cricket have found the bottom of a whole new barrel to scrape by losing to Bangladesh (who deserved their victory) and leaving the World Cup at the group stage by not being able to finish fourth in a group that includes Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

The match against Afghanistan is now a dead rubber, but I still expect an Afghan win, because England are just clueless.

I'm pretty sure this thread could turn out a better side than the current England team. We should write to the ECB. How hard could it be?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cerv posted:

Do I really want to know why you're linking to a massively anti-Semitic blog written by a supporter of what may be the most corrupt council in the entire history of the UK?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
directly elected mayors was always a new labour canard anyway, to create powerful executives who can make end runs around obstructive lobby groups or local government interests

the tacit idea was that these mayors would flexibly shuttle between a seemingly local mandate and yet unpopular national agendas in pursuit of economic development

of course it's turned out abusive

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread could turn out a better side than the current England team. We should write to the ECB. How hard could it be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUyK_J_W4BI

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Im pretty sure the majority of its ingredients are banned in the EU by now.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Whitefish posted:

Rupert Read - Green: wore a pastel blue suit and a red satin waistcoat. Went for the role of political jester who reveals truth by pissing about. (Intentionally?) said "gently caress". Since the debate was being broadcast live on the radio the moderator had to stop the debate to apologise. Read smiled cheekily. Basically confirmed what I already thought of him from following him on twitter - not a serious candidate. Then he said at the end that Cambridge was the Greens' third highest ranked target seat which made me think that if Rupert Read is one of their best candidates the Greens are in trouble.

He's talking out of his hat. There are three seats we've a good chance in - our first priority is Brighton Pavillion (which we should keep), and we think we've a decent shot in Bristol West and a shot in Norwich South. That's our top 3. In fourth, somewhere we almost certainly won't win, is Natalie Bennett's Holborn and St. Pancras. Cambridge is somewhere in our next eight. And we have the distinct issue that we really aren't a centralised party. Apparently Cambridge likes Read (no I don't know why but he was elected to local council over ten years ago there).

On another note, if you want to make someone who knows internal Green Party politics flinch, ask them about Manchester.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Hahaha exactly! No but seriously I can't be the only UKMT poster that's played some organised cricket by choice, we could easily be the England team. It should suit the thread too, after all, what other sport is 95% sitting/standing around in the sun with cakes, crisps, biscuits and sandwiches playing a major role in the day's proceedings. Beer too, if you're doing it right.

In your face ECB!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ronya posted:

From what it sounds like the police said that the families were aware that one of the schoolgirls friends had run off, which wasn't true.

Whether the police have a duty of care to report stuff like that to parents is debateable (as a parent I'd personally appreciate a heads up if there were suspicions that my kid might bugger off to join a terrorist organisation but I do get that it's complicated), but if they thought it was justified to write a letter to parents then they could have done a bit more to make sure they actually received them. Here they post out report cards and anything else that has the potential to be 'misplaced', and they even send out a text to let you know about bog standard newsletters and stuff that kids are bringing home.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jedit posted:

Do I really want to know why you're linking to a massively anti-Semitic blog written by a supporter of what may be the most corrupt council in the entire history of the UK?

...How is a blog written by Jews 'massively anti-Semitic'? Are they not the right kind of Jews?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

...How is a blog written by Jews 'massively anti-Semitic'? Are they not the right kind of Jews?

That blog is written by Jews? Then they're pretty loving stupid equating themselves with religion's most famous traitor and writing a blog post squealing about how Lutfur Rahman wouldn't be persecuted like this if he were a Jew. Seriously, I expected them to blame the ZOG for the whole affair at any moment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

For what it's worth, the world's most powerful Jew is an anti-Semite. :v:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

From what it sounds like the police said that the families were aware that one of the schoolgirls friends had run off, which wasn't true.

Whether the police have a duty of care to report stuff like that to parents is debateable (as a parent I'd personally appreciate a heads up if there were suspicions that my kid might bugger off to join a terrorist organisation but I do get that it's complicated), but if they thought it was justified to write a letter to parents then they could have done a bit more to make sure they actually received them. Here they post out report cards and anything else that has the potential to be 'misplaced', and they even send out a text to let you know about bog standard newsletters and stuff that kids are bringing home.

I may be misreading the article, but AFAIK the point wasn't to write a letter to the parents. The point was to obtain a statement from a minor, which entailed getting the guardian's permission. If the minor refuses herself, then there's no statement to be obtained, guardian or not. There's not even a crime committed at that point, since although it would be highly suspicious to have a friend who chooses to disappear into southeastern Turkey and the police would like to know why, it's not in itself actually illegal.

You can say: that's dumb and questionable public policy. But then you'd drat well be consistently maintaining that the Met ought to tell on ya if your 15-year-old self is diagnosed to be liable to join your boyfriend/girlfriend at an illegal picket.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 9, 2015

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

neonchameleon posted:

He's talking out of his hat. There are three seats we've a good chance in - our first priority is Brighton Pavillion (which we should keep), and we think we've a decent shot in Bristol West and a shot in Norwich South. That's our top 3. In fourth, somewhere we almost certainly won't win, is Natalie Bennett's Holborn and St. Pancras. Cambridge is somewhere in our next eight. And we have the distinct issue that we really aren't a centralised party. Apparently Cambridge likes Read (no I don't know why but he was elected to local council over ten years ago there).

On another note, if you want to make someone who knows internal Green Party politics flinch, ask them about Manchester.

Read is entertaining to watch and he comes across as an eccentric academic, which is maybe a bonus in certain parts of Cambridge. I can't imagine going to him at a constituency workshop with a personal issue though.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jedit posted:

That blog is written by Jews? Then they're pretty loving stupid equating themselves with religion's most famous traitor and writing a blog post squealing about how Lutfur Rahman wouldn't be persecuted like this if he were a Jew. Seriously, I expected them to blame the ZOG for the whole affair at any moment.

"Radical voices for the alternative diaspora." God forbid that leftwing non-zionist Jews poke fun at themselves I guess.

Yeah, you didn't read that article well enough at all if that's what you got out of it. To turn 'if this were done to Jews it would be perceived as anti-semitic' into 'it was actually the Jews what done it' is one hell of a stretch.

Fwiw I think he's corrupt outside of cultural differences anyway.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TinTower posted:

For what it's worth, the world's most powerful Jew is an anti-Semite. :v:

Jesus doesn't hate the Jews fwiw

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yo why is lily allen a monster? i enjoy her music, want to know why she is actually terrible

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't do anything stupid like providing some context for your question.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok i won't

i dunno, you lot are uk-ers and i've read stuff indicating that people think she's a poo poo in previous iterations of the thread, i'm just curious as to why that would be

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

V. Illych L. posted:

ok i won't

i dunno, you lot are uk-ers and i've read stuff indicating that people think she's a poo poo in previous iterations of the thread, i'm just curious as to why that would be

In this thread, that could be anything from drowning puppies through to the wrong flavour of monster munch. I'm not sure in her case though.

Edit: in no way am I suggesting she either a) drowns puppies or b) has admitted to preferring the wrong flavour of monster munch.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't think History's Greatest Monsters is entirely serious.

Her dad is Keith Allen so that is a bit of a black mark against her but she can't really help that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pesmerga posted:

In this thread, that could be anything from drowning puppies through to the wrong flavour of monster munch. I'm not sure in her case though.

Edit: in no way am I suggesting she either a) drowns puppies or b) has admitted to preferring the wrong flavour of monster munch.

yeah i know, but often this thread actually knows things that i don't, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pesmerga posted:

Flamin' hot, by the way.

• Locked thread