Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Maybe if we train hard enough, we could become our own 14 year old assassin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

zonohedron posted:

I have had passing a check result in death and failing an identical check result in survival.

This. This right here is the crux of my problem with the game. None of your choices really mater because you cant make any informed choices until you have successfully beaten the game several times. There is no "choice" or "difficulty" in this game. Just you selecting random options and hoping for the best.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
A lifetime of video games have taught me to grind and outlevel my foes. So, training.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

This. This right here is the crux of my problem with the game. None of your choices really mater because you cant make any informed choices until you have successfully beaten the game several times. There is no "choice" or "difficulty" in this game. Just you selecting random options and hoping for the best.

I disagree. You can usually make informed choices when your stats are high enough. The game warns you in almost every scenario if you have high enough skill. The times where it doesn't requires you to do something extremely stupid over and over again.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 25, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
We need more Guard dogs! :v:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Guards.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

More Guards!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
The advantage of a guard
They keep you safe in the boulevard
Something you can't disregard
Instead of flogging the bard

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Your choices absolutely do matter: the times that I've died from passing a check are when it enabled Elodie to notice something about which she'd otherwise have been oblivious, but she didn't have the skills to successfully act on it. When I do choose badly, it's not because I guessed at random, it's because I didn't have any more information than Elodie herself did. Until you fail at it, you don't know whether 20 Presence will let you intimidate treasury guards; until you've experienced Week 7 once you don't know that you'll need to dodge a maid carrying a pile of linen that she can't see past. That doesn't make your skill choices prior to week 7 random, any more than not knowing when the boss fight will be in a game with boss fights makes your choices of when to use items random.

Speaking of successfully acting, if we're going with assassins as the biggest danger, clearly more training is the best defense.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Training, clearly.

Why isn't this a checkbox question? I'd much rather vote all of the above.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Training because we need to be able to protect ourselves like our daddy said.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
More bloodthirsty guardpuppies.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Guards can be bribed, we must rely on ourselves. Train.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
training

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
: "Daddy, I'm scared of being assassinated! What should I do?!"
: "Git gud."

Father of the year material right here. :v:

More training, since it's look more and more like in this game we can't rely on jack besides ourselves.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Sydin posted:

: "Daddy, I'm scared of being assassinated! What should I do?!"
: "Git gud."

Father of the year material right here. :v:

More training, since it's look more and more like in this game we can't rely on jack besides ourselves.

I don't think Joslyn is trying to be unhelpful. He just married into his position, and before Elodie's mother's untimely death, all he had to do was sit there and look pretty.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Git gud (by which I mean train).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unless Training magically gives us more weeks to take classes in, I'm not sure what it can accomplish. More Guards seems the most helpful in principle. We can train on our own time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
My knowledge of the Roman Empire has taught me that harsh punishments breed discontent, and bribed guards make some of the best assassins, so more training is the only remotely prudent course.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Train like a steam locomotive!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Royal Queensguard, assemble!

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

There's no point in being a Princess if you have to do everything yourself. Might as well just renounce the crown and toil the fields!

Guards!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Training. Guards help defend against overt threats, but we're already kind of screwed if we don't have enough to mostly cover that already. Meanwhile, we could seemingly train to protect against magic and poison, which more guards wouldn't necessarily help at all.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Training is the way to go.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Train until Elodie's fingers bleed, so the rest of her doesn't have to.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I doubt any training can stop the more subtle assassination attempts. More guards it is.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
I'm going to vote guards, because I highly doubt that selecting training will allow us additional class slots per week, even on a temporary basis. (I wanted to vote more beheadings first, but we're trying to avoid assassination attempts, not create more of them!)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Guards! Guards!

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Guards! Since we're already training our rear end off.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Get those guys to wrestle bears and sit under waterfalls and train.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In Chess, the Queen is one of the most powerful units. Git gud (Train)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Training currently leads by two votes!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Results

More Training: 23

More Guards: 18

More Punishment: 2

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Be calm and determined and you will succeed. I believe in you.

: Thanks, Dad.

:colbert: What? Did you expect to get a stat boost or something?

We need to increase resist magic before we can get wield magic over 50.

The majority of the money we receive is already spoken for, but there is always some room for discretion.

(I really don't understand all of these numbers.)

Good job Dad. You daughter has the mathematical skill of a first grader, and as regent you believe it's a good idea to let her handle taxes.

Don't forget to vote for classes as well.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Well, since we don't need to pay for any additional guards, might as well just Lower Taxes.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Keep them the same.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
Lower taxes. No one will want to kill us over paying less tax.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Keep taxes the same - the less we meddle with what we know we have no clue about, the better!

As for classes, resist magic and logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Given our hilarious economics skill, play it safe, trust mom's decisions and for the love of god don't gently caress around with the taxes. Then, study resist magic and resist magic again. We will become a magical girl or die trying. :colbert:

• Locked thread