Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Really with how things have been going on in Greece, I do think its better that the Elgin Marbles stay in Britain

How colonial of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

So what you're saying is, we Americans are not so different after all...?

I'm saying if you succeed they call it something different.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Germans: well known for being caricatured as monkeys.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Characterizing the enemy as brutes/racist caricatures was a thing in WW1.

Deutschland didn't pull any punches either. Look at this heinous poo poo:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

achillesforever6 posted:

Really with how things have been going on in Greece, I do think its better that the Elgin Marbles stay in Britain

I think you mean due to the situation in Greece the British Museum will be opening a new Greek wing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nckdictator posted:

Germans: well known for being caricatured as monkeys.

What is it that you don't understand about that poster?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is it that you don't understand about that poster?

Nothing, I fully realize how racist it is, I just think it's ironic to use an ape to represent Germany given Germany's racist past.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think it's racist at all, really, it's just old fashioned nationalism. Germany is an irrational, immoral, warlike animal that needs to be put down.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its possibly worth noting that the ape represents "Germany", rather than "A German". There would seem to be a distinction between saying "These people are apes" and "This nation is an ape", but that could be just me.

Edit: What the hell thread am I even in? Contributing to the derail before I realised how little it has to do with the topic at hand. Quick someone, whats the worst new film I could go to see this wednesday?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Right, it's not inciting racial animus, just nationalist fervor.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

SiKboy posted:

Edit: What the hell thread am I even in? Contributing to the derail before I realised how little it has to do with the topic at hand. Quick someone, whats the worst new film I could go to see this wednesday?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2465146/?ref_=cs_ov_tt

Rob Reiner's back with another masterpiece.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nckdictator posted:

And it has a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNfgLbwJIA I never saw "Behind the Candelabra", was michael douglas good in that? I'm just curious to see if I can spot the exact film where he entirely stopped giving a poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

I never saw "Behind the Candelabra", was michael douglas good in that?

He and Matt Damon were great. They each had to play about a half-dozen versions of their characters across multiple time periods under various degrees of aging and plastic surgery, and they did a fine job.

vvvv I prefer to think of him as a live-action Team America puppet.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 7, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And Rob Lowe was some kind of horrible monster.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

Hell of a hot streak Reiner had starting with Spinal Tap and ending with A Few Good Men. North just broke ol' Meathead.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

SiKboy posted:

I never saw "Behind the Candelabra", was michael douglas good in that?
It's branded as a biopic when it's a horror film in disguise.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I realize that IMDB user ratings are not the most respected barometer of film quality, but Tammy is currently at 4.6. It's pretty drat rare for a new movie to score below a 7 on opening weekend, especially since that's when the people who are most pumped up, and therefore likely to overrate a movie go see it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm annoyed that people's takeaway from Melissa McCarthy's success is "She can open a movie and people won't even mind that she's fat!" as opposed to "I guess weight doesn't matter as much for starring roles."

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SiKboy posted:

And it has a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNfgLbwJIA I never saw "Behind the Candelabra", was michael douglas good in that? I'm just curious to see if I can spot the exact film where he entirely stopped giving a poo poo.

The worst part of the trailer is that loving awful cover of one of my favorite songs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The worst part of the trailer is that loving awful cover of one of my favorite songs.

How expensive can Hall & Oates be, really

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I realize that IMDB user ratings are not the most respected barometer of film quality, but Tammy is currently at 4.6. It's pretty drat rare for a new movie to score below a 7 on opening weekend, especially since that's when the people who are most pumped up, and therefore likely to overrate a movie go see it.

Coworker reviews:

One watched the first half hour, walked out and said "they could fast forward the movie and I wouldn't have missed anything".

The second came in to watch it and left after a hour, saying he fell asleep after the first fifteen minutes and if he's gonna nap he might as well be comfy in his bed.

General reviews aren't so good either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Was the script just that bad or something? I thought she was great in her other roles so far.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I hear the plotting and pacing is just really kinda off and also that it kinda just meanders, period.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

api call girl posted:

Was the script just that bad or something? I thought she was great in her other roles so far.

You couldn't have possibly seen Identity Thief, because nobody would say this if they had seen Identity Thief.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It looks like the movie is just "Melissa McCarthy is a big loud overconfident aggressive idiot", which maaaaybe people are over by now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its telling that the other movies she has been in that were successful had her as the foil, not the lead.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
She was good in Bridesmaids but it would be cool if she did something at least mildly subversive like Rebel Wilson in Pain & Gain in between all the wacky fat lady leading roles.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What was subversive about Rebel Wilson in Pain & Gain?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There wasn't anything particularly subversive about Rebel Wilson in Pain and Gain. Her character was funny though. I will say she was presented as somewhat sexy and sultry, if that's what you mean by her being subversive since normally a woman of that size is not presented that way. But Rebel Wilson is very pretty and having a foreign accent gets you halfway to sultry already so I don't know how much of that was a subversive presentation or how much was just Rebel being Rebel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She was definitely not presented as sexy and sultry. Her sexuality is played as comedy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Things would be so much better if she'd at least go back to her Gilmore Girls weight, and refuse to be typecast as whatever she's been getting for the last few years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

She was definitely not presented as sexy and sultry. Her sexuality is played as comedy.

Heh, I guess I just have a thing for Rebel Wilson then.

Casimir Radon posted:

Things would be so much better if she'd at least go back to her Gilmore Girls weight, and refuse to be typecast as whatever she's been getting for the last few years.

She's not really being typecast per se, she handpicks most of her projects and produces and writes on a good deal of them. So she's typecasting herself. Also its pretty terrible to tell an actor they need to drop to X weight. Clearly even though we don't like her movies, they're successful and she doesn't need to do anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

greatn posted:

Heh, I guess I just have a thing for Rebel Wilson then.

That's fine, she's a cute girl with a sexy accent but I'm realizing her comedy persona is anathema to me. I would like to see her in more dramatic stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greatn posted:

She's not really being typecast per se, she handpicks most of her projects and produces and writes on a good deal of them. So she's typecasting herself. Also its pretty terrible to tell an actor they need to drop to X weight. Clearly even though we don't like her movies, they're successful and she doesn't need to do anything.
When you're loving obese it's perfectly alright.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let's not have that debate in here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I honestly don't even understand the fawning that goes on over Rebel Wilson, I hadn't heard of her before trailers for Pitch Perfect when they were like "and Rebel Wilson!"

I mean, I gathered she had a part in Bridesmaids, and she's fat, so fat acceptance bloggers? I mean everything I've seen of her has totally fallen flat for me. I just don't get it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe the reason that Jonah Hill has said why he's gone to a kind of inbetween weight, where he's not as fat as he used to be but not as skinny as he could be, was because he was having problem getting work skinny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I honestly don't even understand the fawning that goes on over Rebel Wilson, I hadn't heard of her before trailers for Pitch Perfect when they were like "and Rebel Wilson!"

I mean, I gathered she had a part in Bridesmaids, and she's fat, so fat acceptance bloggers? I mean everything I've seen of her has totally fallen flat for me. I just don't get it.

She was already known before Bridesmaids. It would be like if Alice Lowe suddenly moved to Hollywood. Most people would say "who?" but she's not totally unknown.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's fine, she's a cute girl with a sexy accent but I'm realizing her comedy persona is anathema to me.

Same here. Her parts in both Bridesmaids and Pain & Gain were pure nails-on-chalkboard material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If it was the 90's and she was in The Craft, boy that would've worked on me. Even better, Empire Records.

• Locked thread