Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

Realistically, that was like $7m dollars in 2014 and then they were free and clear. Even if it potentially blocked some big signing in 2014, the Pats would still have been in the bottom third of the league.
When was the last "big" Pats FA signing, Adalius Thomas? They don't even re-sign their own players when they want market value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/805881037754695680

How was Forsett on waivers? He's been in the league for like 10 years.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

I wonder if the Hernandez situation plays into this. Since they had a whole giant pile of dead money from that extension, but a lot of it didn't get paid out, but I don't think they ever got a cap refund on it.

I thought it was that they can roll forward unused cap and they have a lot of free agents to sign this year.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sean10mm posted:

"Hey, if we outlaw head shots maybe the players will start doing proper tackles instead and..."

*100 assholes dive straight at their opponents' kneecaps*

"Oh, well, what can ya do?" :saddowns:

p much. How 'bout learning how to properly tackle :shrug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

When was the last "big" Pats FA signing, Adalius Thomas? They don't even re-sign their own players when they want market value.

Revis.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

There was someone who literally said that he goes for the knees instead of the head to avoid being penalized and fined but I forgot who it was.

I think it was DJ Swearinger, Ehud made a comic of him.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Aqib Talib before that iirc

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I mean, yeah, Revis is a big FA signing but it certainly wasn't a big cash deal in the context we're talking about here. The point is, NE spent very little cash and their biggest potential contacts were both traded in the last 9 months.

e: the Pats traded for Talib.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

No Butt Stuff posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/805881037754695680

How was Forsett on waivers? He's been in the league for like 10 years.

He turned into a pumpkin last season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

no I meant he should have just been released, but some guy on twitter just told me vets cut after the trade deadline are stuck on waivers.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

But seriously, gently caress the Pats. Third lowest cap spend in the league, 2013-16.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/805867703466676224
So do the Raiders have to find a way to spend $2.1 million in the next four weeks?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

They paid Revis a pile of money for that one year rental. They also blinked in negotiations with McCourty and gave him what he wanted. But I think most of the guys who would earn huge contracts usually get traded before they even get to negotiations. The guys who remain are dudes who no one else is really ever banging down the door for - the Edelmans and Ninkovichs of the world.

hifi posted:

quote:

Branch, 31, was told two weeks ago that he had failed a drug test, and according to the Boston Herald, Branch appealed it immediately thereafter because there were traces of marijuana in his system from a previously failed test. Branch already was in the NFL drug program, so he was eligible to be tested as many as 10 times per month per NFL rules. According to the Herald report, there were no new traces of the drug in his system, which led to the NFL’s eventual about face.

I've read this three times and I still don't understand what happened.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 5, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I've read this three times and I still don't understand what happened.

I think that he tested positive for weed, got punished for it, then tested positive for that exact same weed because weed stays in your system that long. Because he'd already been punished for the initial weed smoking, he didn't get punished for the second positive test because he had all the tests from the intervening time to prove he hadn't smoked up again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Percy Harvin out for the year, career might be over

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

I've read this sentence annually on this forum.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

:smoobles:

https://twitter.com/JaySkurski/status/805893893749358596

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Rex, you are dumb.

Does Ryan get another year if/when Bills miss the playoffs?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Rex, you are dumb.

Does Ryan get another year if/when Bills miss the playoffs?

I think probably, pending the outcomes of the upcoming four games. 8–8 or better and he likely buys himself another year citing injuries and all that.

But freaking Tyler Dunne trying to stir the pot:

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/805894485783691265

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

But then there's always the Browns.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/805899701274996737

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chris James 2 posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat so it's kind of hard for me to feel too bad for him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I guess Hue Jackson really is one-and-done in Cleveland.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Coaching is like the least of Cleveland's problems. They purged a bunch of quality vets in the preseason and then their mediocre slate of QBs all died. They've had 7 different people throw passes for them this season.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

Coaching is like the least of Cleveland's problems. They purged a bunch of quality vets in the preseason and then their mediocre slate of QBs all died. They've had 7 different people throw passes for them this season.
I'd agree with you if Haslam wasn't their owner

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FebrezeNinja posted:

So do the Raiders have to find a way to spend $2.1 million in the next four weeks?

Yup EVERYONE TO THE STRIP CLUBS.

Also why is no one mentioning the fact that a good half the teams are over cap by a gooood margin? Hawks, Bills, KC, :lol:The Eagles:lol:, Denver, et al?

Kinda lol at the Panthers being miserly as hell AND poo poo, though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers will be fully out of salary cap hell this season.

Haven't really been able to spend money.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

I think probably, pending the outcomes of the upcoming four games. 8–8 or better and he likely buys himself another year citing injuries and all that.

But freaking Tyler Dunne trying to stir the pot:

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/805894485783691265
Man, our secondary is bad.
Also, Rex is dumb, because Tyrod is pretty good. We just need a RT and depth at offensive line and wide receiver. And Percy Harvin doesn't count.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Naturally Selected posted:

Yup EVERYONE TO THE STRIP CLUBS.

Also why is no one mentioning the fact that a good half the teams are over cap by a gooood margin? Hawks, Bills, KC, :lol:The Eagles:lol:, Denver, et al?

Kinda lol at the Panthers being miserly as hell AND poo poo, though.

That's actually a good point, a lot of the reason that the Patriots are in the bottom tier of the "cash spent" is because they very rarely do the "pay giant signing bonus, prorate it over imaginary years" that gets teams into cap hell and allows teams to break the cap over the short term.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Titans were on a bye this week so did not get to participate in the personalized cleat thing that was going on, so they asked the NFL if they could wear them next game since they missed out. Nope, says the NFL. You can wear them in pregame but must change at game time. Delanie Walker and Jason McCourty have already come out and said they will wear them during the game anyway and take the fine.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans were on a bye this week so did not get to participate in the personalized cleat thing that was going on, so they asked the NFL if they could wear them next game since they missed out. Nope, says the NFL. You can wear them in pregame but must change at game time. Delanie Walker and Jason McCourty have already come out and said they will wear them during the game anyway and take the fine.

Lmfao gently caress the nfl

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tomorrow we're going to here Rodger threatening to suspend them if they do anything of the sort

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I hope that "team employees" is just euphemism for the players.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Jeff Fisher is the George Constanza of football.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

he's gonna save his job this Sunday against the bengals

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

sean10mm posted:

Haslam cares not for logic

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

hue jackson deserved better

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dubious posted:

Haslam cares not for logic

He will comission a study to determine if Jackson is a good coach then just do whatever the bum outside the stadium says.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

hue jackson deserved better

I agree but he also knew what he was signing up for

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Metapod posted:

Lmfao gently caress the nfl

Good news! Protests work!

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/805925106501451776

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Umm ya'll that leak had nothing to do with firing them...unless Jimmy does the exact opposite of what he said....ah poo poo he is.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-owner-pledges-to-stay-the-course-at-recent-full-staff-meeting/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

lmao the nfl is so out of touch

Better but the fact they even said no is absurd

• Locked thread