Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Stick100 posted:

The fact that we know of a test lot of devices in the wild

How do we know this fact? I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Aweful Dreams posted:

How do we know this fact? I missed it.

You have one, genius.

Edit: heh.

Dec 26, 2012

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Xboxpants why the gently caress do you have 4chan moderation listed under experience on your LinkedIn page. Really don't think you'll want that kind of association on a professional profile if you ever hope to get paid writing work.

Let's not go here.

(but seriously, XboxPants, you might want to take that out)

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
I have a dev kit, there's no evidence of that being any part of a test lot that I know of. Seems to me 1250 units is too many for just a test run, and there have been pictures of silver-colored units, that look different from both the dev kit and the "retail" units - those would more likely be the test run.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 24, 2013

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Oh right, I keep forgetting the dev kits and the not-for-review units delivered to reviewers and handed out at the notLaunch party are different. Well, either it's a test lot or Uhrman is rolling around on a bed of OUYAs and she just can't bring herself to ship them out, your call.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
These are probably from the test lot, Julie confirmed the pictures as real:

http://www.ouyagamingsource.com/breaking-news-the-ouya-revealed/

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well at least we now know where that sweet, sweet Kickstarter money is going.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Aweful Dreams posted:

These are probably from the test lot, Julie confirmed the pictures as real:

This explains it - they spent all their money on a few units and a round-the-world ticket.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Why did someone take a picture of the OUYA in front of the Sydney Opera house? Why would you take an OUYA on a trip around the world? You know what would be better than an OUYA if you were on a pier? A phone that could ACTUALLY WORK IN THAT ENVIRONMENT.

I hope this ends with him coming to a canyon and the final caption is "after all this searching, I finally found a place to dispose of this thing" and then it's a picture of him kicking it off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
No Internet detective poo poo please.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Why did someone take a picture of the OUYA in front of the Sydney Opera house? Why would you take an OUYA on a trip around the world? You know what would be better than an OUYA if you were on a pier? A phone that could ACTUALLY WORK IN THAT ENVIRONMENT.

Don't blame him, he's just trying to get bars on his huge box phone :( Normal phones aren't indie enough.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So far the traveling OUYA seems to have visited Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour, and Sydney Airport.

Stunning.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Oh wow I found more!

http://travellingouya.tumblr.com/

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah if you follow back the confirmation link you can find the original. It's really bizarre because it looks like a neat little travel blog with this REALLY conspicuous box just smashed into center of all his nice photos. :psyduck:

E: in fact, some of the photos are actually ruined by the OUYA because the focus is on the OUYA instead of major objects in the background, so the interesting parts of the photo are blurred out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Super Rad posted:

Fixed that.

But seriously I wouldn't be surprised if this is a ponzi scheme where an initial order of a few hundred is shipped out but by bit, giving the illusion of progress for just long enough to pocket as much money as possible and run.

01011001 posted:

As much as I considered that it was a ponzi scheme initially, I'm pretty sure they really just are this bad at it. If they wanted to take the money and run they could have done it far earlier.

This couldn't possibly be a ponzi scheme simply because of what the definition of a ponzi scheme is.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

I like to think this is one OUYA people's way of saying "Hey thanks for the money, now I'm travelling the world instead of doing my job! Yay!"

This is where all that money is going. Not on production or shipping or hiring competent people. poo poo like this.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 24, 2013

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XboxPants posted:

57379 OUYA pledges. 1725 responses on ouyashipping. That's roughly 3% of the total pledges. 40 OUYAs either received or en route from that site. If ouyashipping is 99%+ representative of the larger 57k backers, that would mean there's at least 1200+ units built so far (either received or en route).
So you took the "40 OUYAs either received or en route" and then multiplied that by 15379/1725 to get around 1330 units? :stare:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Xboxpants - I'm not interested at all about Internet detectiving you but yeah please for your own good remove any mention of 4chan from your LinkedIn profile if that is truly there man, seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dec 26, 2012

Inspector_71 posted:

This couldn't possibly be a ponzi scheme simply because of what the definition of a ponzi scheme is.

You're right, I meant a scam in general.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Xboxpants why the gently caress do you have 4chan moderation listed under experience on your LinkedIn page. Really don't think you'll want that kind of association on a professional profile if you ever hope to get paid writing work.

Nice internet detective work, you sure owned that dude! We love this sort of thing here. Keep up the good work goons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

When I saw there were almost 200 replies I thought the OUYA has finally shipped. I'm so glad that it is in fact only one and this whole amazing debate has occurred :allears:

Wasn't it in the last thread it was discovered someone broke their devkit OUYA climbing up a tree to do glamour shots with it? Was it this guy?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I found another one!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Is the only way to pledge money to Kickstarter project to send the money through Paypal, or does Kickstarter have their own payment processor?

I am asking because with all the chargebacks this debacle is going to create, and all the chargebacks people are doing because of that Skullgirls game, I wonder if Paypal will just say this Kickstarter stuff is too volatile and just pull support.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

edit:

I figure that's the closest it'll ever come to a Gamestop.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

coreycoryecorey posted:

Is the only way to pledge money to Kickstarter project to send the money through Paypal, or does Kickstarter have their own payment processor?

I am asking because with all the chargebacks this debacle is going to create, and all the chargebacks people are doing because of that Skullgirls game, I wonder if Paypal will just say this Kickstarter stuff is too volatile and just pull support.

Kickstarter doesn't take Paypal at all.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Kickstarter doesn't take Paypal at all.

Alright thanks. I haven't ever looked at backing anything on Kickstarter and was not sure how it worked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pesterchum posted:

I found another one!

No, bad Ouya, you don't have sufficient cooling, Norfair is not somewhere you should go.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

coreycoryecorey posted:

Alright thanks. I haven't ever looked at backing anything on Kickstarter and was not sure how it worked.

Kickstarter is partnered with Amazon.com, you link your Kickstarter account with your Amazon account, and Amazon charges you for the pledges you make at the end of the drives.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Would probably fit better in Doom 3.

"Use us," it would say.

But nobody would.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

So if it is like November and they have still only shipped like 12 OUYAYAs, the only way one of the 63,000 investors can try to get their money back is to contact OUYA directly? That just seems awful.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Change 'armor' to say 'delivered' ha ha

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

coreycoryecorey posted:

That just seems awful.

You're getting the hang of the ooooyah experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

raditts posted:

Would probably fit better in Doom 3.

"Use us," it would say.

But nobody would.

Does that make Yves Bhar Dr. Betruger and the Cyberdemon is The Big Three?

peter gabriel posted:

Change 'armor' to say 'delivered' ha ha

gently caress, that would have been good.

Also, because somebody asked for it:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

No.
Picture this scene.
There is a machine a bit smaller than a car depending on what type it is, inside is a mold for the oooooyah. On top is a large hopper filled with plastic beads that get heated up and then injected into the mold, the mold opens and out pops an ooooyah case.

This process takes a few seconds.

The machine and mold are taking up floor space in a facility that makes millions of products a year.

To do 'hundreds' would take half a day AT MOST.

Now, imagine another scene.
After half a day you ask Mr Factory Manager to halt production 'because good reason' - even IF he agreed ( he wouldn't ) then good luck getting your slot BACK in the factory to continue production because congratulations that machine now has a mold for dildos in it and production carries on without you.

Production doesn't work how you seem to think it does - you begin production, your run ends, you pick your product up.
The end.

Exactly this. I work in a (food) production plant, and the only time we do a run as small as "a few hundred", it is a test batch of a new product or we are commissioning in new machinery to look for kinks/problems before doing a full size run. When a line (we have 23 now), is doing a production run, it is for sizes of tens of thousands of units every few hours. And if there is any kind of delay in getting the next batch of ingredients for the next run ready before the next run's scheduled start time, phones start lighting up on managers's desks with angry floor supervisors wanting answers. And we're a very small, niche company, much much smaller than Pegatron.

The sales managers at Pegatron probably won't even return your calls unless you're looking to schedule production runs in the five-figure-a-day production volume range. They'd lose money changing over a line just to poo poo out a few dozen units, then letting it sit idle or have to retool it for something else after such a small run.

ANALECSTASY is not in production. Every unit in the wild has to have come from a test run, period.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

HotCanadianChick posted:

Exactly this. I work in a (food) production plant, and the only time we do a run as small as "a few hundred", it is a test batch of a new product or we are commissioning in new machinery to look for kinks/problems before doing a full size run. When a line (we have 23 now), is doing a production run, it is for sizes of tens of thousands of units every few hours. And if there is any kind of delay in getting the next batch of ingredients for the next run ready before the next run's scheduled start time, phones start lighting up on managers's desks with angry floor supervisors wanting answers. And we're a very small, niche company, much much smaller than Pegatron.

The sales managers at Pegatron probably won't even return your calls unless you're looking to schedule production runs in the five-figure-a-day production volume range. They'd lose money changing over a line just to poo poo out a few dozen units, then letting it sit idle or have to retool it for something else after such a small run.

ANALECSTASY is not in production. Every unit in the wild has to have come from a test run, period.

I don't see how this applies to the OOMPA. Are you saying it is food? Your information has confused me. A lot. A lot.

edit:
Oven-Baked Indie Souflee (feeds 60,000)

1 OOPSY
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tbsp. sea salt
A lot of Great Indie Titles

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Apply olive oil (extra virgin) with brush to the exterior of the OHMYGOD in a casserole pan. Sparingly sprinkle the sea salt all over, making sure to salt the HDMI port for ultimate graphics. Place in oven for 15 minutes.

When done cooking, place the finished entree on your least favorite AAA title. Carve and serve.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 24, 2013

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Dieting Hippo posted:

I don't see how this applies to the OOMPA. Are you saying it is food? Your information has confused me. A lot. A lot.

Exact same process as some foods. Though I think most food products are made to higher standards.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Raged posted:

Exact same process as some foods. Though I think most food products are made to higher standards.

The acceptable level of fecal content is probably less, for one.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Inspector_71 posted:

It's not exactly a ponzi scheme, but in the end in both cases the premise is to take a bunch of "investment" money, and then return small portions of that same money to the investors as "profit" for a while (to keep legitimacy and ideally get more investments) while making away with the bulk of the money. Just replace "investment" with pre-orders and "profit" with actual functioning OUYAs and you've got what I think is going on.

The reason they're trying to keep an air of legitimacy this long is in case they can somehow get any more cash in be it from more pre-orders or some kind of investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Super Rad posted:

It's not exactly a ponzi scheme, but in the end in both cases the premise is to take a bunch of "investment" money, and then return small portions of that same money to the investors as "profit" for a while (to keep legitimacy and ideally get more investments) while making away with the bulk of the money. Just replace "investment" with pre-orders and "profit" with actual functioning OUYAs and you've got what I think is going on.

The reason they're trying to keep an air of legitimacy this long is in case they can somehow get any more cash in be it from more pre-orders or some kind of investment.

Yeah that's not what's happening, at all. Ouya has absolutely nothing to do with a Ponzi scheme. There's seriously no one buying in, and there's also no kickbacks to the people who bought first.

• Locked thread