Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Torrannor posted:

Homura, not Hotaru. I believe they mean the character from Madoka Magika.

Ooooooh, okay yeah I misread that.

Homura did quite a few things wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mars, Jupiter, Venus
No real reason for them specifically, I just don't want to waste using the cool scouts too soon. Save them for a hard part.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey, speaking of Utena, apparently all of it is subtitled on Youtube for free by the licenseholders. Go watch that. It's a wonderful series and I love this move even as the dude who bought the crazy box sets.
maybe i will finally get around to watching the rest of this now, years later :ohdear:

if i ever finish the next chunk of Mega Misandry ZX Advent sigh

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

kefkafloyd posted:

The first six episodes of Stars are basically "More SuperS except it's less obnoxious" and TBH I found it preferable to most of Stars when I churned through it a few months ago. There's a lot of goofy, fun character poo poo in Stars but the whole plot of the Sailor Starlights and Galaxia feels very repetitive in light of two seasons of basically the same formula.

What bothered me a lot about Stars was the constant "We need to find true star seeds!" through the whole season, then in the final few episodes Galaxia's like "Oh yeah sailor guardians are guaranteed to have true star seeds" and it's just like.. ok? Why didn't you just zap the main characters whenever they showed up?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

What bothered me a lot about Stars was the constant "We need to find true star seeds!" through the whole season, then in the final few episodes Galaxia's like "Oh yeah sailor guardians are guaranteed to have true star seeds" and it's just like.. ok? Why didn't you just zap the main characters whenever they showed up?

Because there's no way to extend that for 40 episodes. Killing off a major character every chapter (whether hero or villain) works fine in a 12-issue manga, unfortunately, but an anime just can't keep up that pace without radically changing the premise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
code:
Sailor Mercury: xx
Sailor Mars   : xxxxxxxxx
Sailor Jupiter: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sailor Venus  : xxxxxxxxxx
Sailor Saturn : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sailor Neptune: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sailor Uranus : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So here's where we currently are. I'm gonna leave this for another day or so just because I have to go to work in a few minutes, but right now it looks like I've got a near-lock on slot one and the successors are up for grabs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I will soullessly vote Mars, Mercury, Saturn because the first apparently has additional dialogue and the other two affect her chances of getting in the least.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

GimmickMan posted:

Mars [...] apparently has additional dialogue

For anyone worried about that: I played ahead and captured that already. It's a couple of lines. Pick based on what you want me wielding like a sword at the enemies of the Moon.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
Votin' Outers. Saturn, Neptune & Uranus. Always votin' Outers.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

The first six episodes of Stars are basically "More SuperS except it's less obnoxious" and TBH I found it preferable to most of Stars when I churned through it a few months ago. There's a lot of goofy, fun character poo poo in Stars but the whole plot of the Sailor Starlights and Galaxia feels very repetitive in light of two seasons of basically the same formula.

Its the anime going "well hm, in the SuperS arc manga the Outers came back halfway and everyone teamed up to make Eternal Sailor Moon appear, so now we need access to all this stuff for Stars to make sense so I guess we'll just do the actual end of SuperS here".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey, speaking of Utena, apparently all of it is subtitled on Youtube for free by the licenseholders. Go watch that. It's a wonderful series and I love this move even as the dude who bought the crazy box sets.
Unfortunately they were too responsible to "accidentally" leave the region controls turned off.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

END ME SCOOB posted:

:swoon: Oh man, I can't wait to check this out! I rented the first 7 or so episodes on VHS a million years ago and wanted to see more. I've also seen the movie, but that made zero sense. If there's one thing I had to say that I loved about what I saw of the show thus far, it would be the episode with body swapping curry. Holy poo poo, was that ever funny. I know it doesn't really speak for the rest of the show, but I love stupid episodes that appear once in a while to mitigate the seriousness, even though I love some serious shows.

It's a shame that we don't see more of Saturn in the anime, but considering that she has the potential to wreck the Earth, I think it's probably better for everyone that she doesn't run around slinging Death Reborn Revolution everywhere.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

For anyone worried about that: I played ahead and captured that already. It's a couple of lines. Pick based on what you want me wielding like a sword at the enemies of the Moon.

In that case, consider it a vote for each of the outers. It's only reasonable they take part in the search for Setsuna.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'm really curious as to why people want to have the outers keep going considering we've had like exactly one time the team hasn't consisted of Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn alongside Moon.

the_steve posted:

Mars, Jupiter, Venus
No real reason for them specifically, I just don't want to waste using the cool scouts too soon. Save them for a hard part.

Uhh excuse me Jupiter is the coolest.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm really curious as to why people want to have the outers keep going considering we've had like exactly one time the team hasn't consisted of Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn alongside Moon.

Uhh excuse me Jupiter is the coolest.

Cause the Outers are the best.

Gigify
Jul 17, 2011
I feel the need to add a vote for Mercury, despite her having no chance at this point.

It's possible I feel a little pain by the overwhelming "eh" for her in this vote.

Otherwise I'll throw votes in for Saturn and Jupiter simply because I like them as characters, with no regards to their power which seems to be controlling choices outside of "just take the outer senshi".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Well, we just had a whole chapter of the inners doing stuff.

But mostly it is that the outers are very popular.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gigify posted:

I feel the need to add a vote for Mercury, despite her having no chance at this point.
That's hosed up. You should start a petition for Scoob to switch to a single transferable vote model.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Don't worry, I'm coming up with a dumb new gimmick for each time we do this vote.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Would you say "no" to a teenage girl who can destroy the planet whenever she likes?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Would you say "no" to a teenage girl who can destroy the planet whenever she likes?

I voted for Saturn.

Its just that Venus and Jupiter are better characters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ningyou posted:

Yeah, 'homura did nothing wrong' is a madoka rebellion meme (and it's kind of idunnowhat because Homura gets kinda creepycontrolling as heck and does some fuuuucked things in Rebellion but)

also i don't think dads even exist in the lush narrative landscape of puella magi madoka magica??????? oh wait there's like two

Madoka has a dad. He provides a good role model for his children and keeps things under control around the house while Madoka's mom drinks every businessman in Japan under the table. It's pretty nice, since Madoka's parents both take slightly unconventional roles around the house and it's not presented in any kind of a negative light. This is just what they both like and are good at, so that's how they do.

Meanwhile, Kyoko's dad goes insane and murders everyone else in her family before committing suicide.

Mixed track record from people's dads in Madoka.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
sometimes I forget how much fun that show was

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Madoka has a dad. He provides a good role model for his children and keeps things under control around the house while Madoka's mom drinks every businessman in Japan under the table. It's pretty nice, since Madoka's parents both take slightly unconventional roles around the house and it's not presented in any kind of a negative light. This is just what they both like and are good at, so that's how they do.

Meanwhile, Sayaka's dad goes insane and murders everyone else in her family before committing suicide.

Pretty sure that was Kyoko's dad, not Sayaka's.

And he would've just kept them all living in poverty if Kyoko hadn't made that wish!

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, Kyoko's dad goes insane and murders everyone else in her family before committing suicide.

i don't wanna veer too far off-topic or anything but MY MADOKA HEADCANON is that the people of mitakihara had long since evolved beyond dads and daddoka and dadyouko were kind of the only remaining holdovers, the last little scraps of the old world

"thoughtful quiet househusband dad" and "WELCOME TO MURDER-SUICIDE TOWN, POPULATION NO ONE. BECAUSE EVERYONE IS DEAD. dad," two sides of one obsolete coin

MarsDragon posted:

And he would've just kept them all living in poverty if Kyoko hadn't made that wish!
wuuuuuuuuugh

hi i'm ningyou and i have complicated feelings about this anime about time dweebs and all-consuming Superflat enthusiasts and the things it does to its characters

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MarsDragon posted:

Pretty sure that was Kyoko's dad, not Sayaka's.

Turns out cult leaders make bad parents, who knew.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ningyou posted:

hi i'm ningyou and i have complicated feelings about this anime about time dweebs and all-consuming Superflat enthusiasts and the things it does to its characters
I don't know what a Superflat enthusiast is, but I think I feel the same way

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

FractalSandwich posted:

Superflat is a style of post-modern art that's become big in Japan, and the animation team for Madoka drew a lot of inspiration from the movement when designing the Witches.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

FractalSandwich posted:

Superflat is postmodern kinda-sorta-anime-pastiche art as social critique/anticonsumerism (and sometimes it's gross stuff because ~art~ reasons or w/e) and if this sheds any light, uh, seeing a Takashi Murakami artbook pretty much made me go 'holy lol it's bargain bin charlotte all the way down'

e: w h o o p s beaten

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Right, yes, of course. I thought it sounded familiar. You were making a funny joke, and I stepped on it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cheese Pain posted:

:swoon: Oh man, I can't wait to check this out! I rented the first 7 or so episodes on VHS a million years ago and wanted to see more. I've also seen the movie, but that made zero sense. If there's one thing I had to say that I loved about what I saw of the show thus far, it would be the episode with body swapping curry. Holy poo poo, was that ever funny. I know it doesn't really speak for the rest of the show, but I love stupid episodes that appear once in a while to mitigate the seriousness, even though I love some serious shows.

Yeah, I honestly feel the comic relief episodes are really important to Utena's overall pacing. If you're binge-watching the series, a good rule of thumb is to watch until you see a Nanami-focused episode and then take a break for the day.

Also the movie felt to me like basically an alternate-universe retelling of the series in which Anthy is a whole lot more proactive and most of the male characters are a lot less so. I think it holds up better as a commentary on the series than as a standalone work.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Mercury, Venus, Saturn

Alternatively if giving votes to End Me Scoob is allowed, then Mercury, Saturn, last vote is End Me Scoob's Choice

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FractalSandwich posted:

Right, yes, of course. I thought it sounded familiar. You were making a funny joke, and I stepped on it.

And in doing so, you squashed it super-flat. :v:

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, I honestly feel the comic relief episodes are really important to Utena's overall pacing. If you're binge-watching the series, a good rule of thumb is to watch until you see a Nanami-focused episode and then take a break for the day.

Also the movie felt to me like basically an alternate-universe retelling of the series in which Anthy is a whole lot more proactive and most of the male characters are a lot less so. I think it holds up better as a commentary on the series than as a standalone work.

The movie is a mess because they try to present it as its own standalone work, but it's really not. It's a caricature of the series, the entire thing crammed into two hours through a mirror darkly. :agreed: on the wacky filler shenanigans being necessary to keep the show from just being a downward slide into depression, though; Utena doesn't have anything like Tuxedo Mask to lighten the mood mid-episode.

I mean, it does have a Tuxedo Mask in that it has a male deus ex machina, but said character doesn't interrupt the fights to tell you about how wicked hearts should never pursue pure maidens or some other schmaltzy, hilarious poo poo like that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

esperterra posted:

Uranus, Neptune and Saturn AKA Team I'm a Biased Homosexual.

e: ^ this guy right here's got the right idea
Never too late to :bandwagon:.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Definitely gotta go with the winning team of Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn.

I mean come on, why not go full Outer?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

And in doing so, you squashed it super-flat. :v:
In the immortal words of Queen Beryl: I regret this.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

KataraniSword posted:

I mean, it does have a Tuxedo Mask in that it has a male deus ex machina, but said character doesn't interrupt the fights to tell you about how wicked hearts should never pursue pure maidens or some other schmaltzy, hilarious poo poo like that.

I dunno, one moment was definitely on that level.

(stock animation and music come to a screeching halt) "I'm not sure you're in the right place."

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
Another one for Neptune, Uranus, Saturn. Outer Senshi, go!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Jupiter, Uranus, and Saturn were my three favorites as a kid. (Neptune would be in were I allowed to pick 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Give me team Collateral Damage because those 3 are fun.

• Locked thread