Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm curious, is the "naked as on her name day" bit some kind of Realms lore thing? We have name days here in Europe, and for example my own is about half a year away from the day I was born, which is ostensibly when one would try to be cutesy and imply someone was nude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

I'm curious, is the "naked as on her name day" bit some kind of Realms lore thing? We have name days here in Europe, and for example my own is about half a year away from the day I was born, which is ostensibly when one would try to be cutesy and imply someone was nude.

Referring to being naked as being 'in your birthday suit' and 'naked as the day you were born' are definitely sayings I've heard as an American, but I get the feeling that Roxanne might not be an English speaker as her first language.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Referring to being naked as being 'in your birthday suit' and 'naked as the day you were born' are definitely sayings I've heard as an American, but I get the feeling that Roxanne might not be an English speaker as her first language.

Right, I know the birthday suit line, but that's what I mean, being naked on your name day doesn't make any sense in the real world.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm hoping that someone is keeping score, I lost count after the previous 2 randos pulled off the street for sex.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

By popular demand posted:

I'm hoping that someone is keeping score, I lost count after the previous 2 randos pulled off the street for sex.

There's that relationship web someone was maintaining. I'm surprised it was still legible last time it was posted.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

By popular demand posted:

Black Robe posted:

There's that relationship web someone was maintaining. I'm surprised it was still legible last time it was posted.

Behold.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

been playing through BG2 and it seems sort of odd to play Edwin as a *total* buffoon when he is like bar none the nastiest arcane caster you can get because of his bonus spell amulet

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shandalar is a jerk and you should have used Sandrah's overpowered nonsense to kill him.

Ramc posted:

been playing through BG2 and it seems sort of odd to play Edwin as a *total* buffoon when he is like bar none the nastiest arcane caster you can get because of his bonus spell amulet

Mechanically Edwin is pretty nuts but story wise? He is a buffoon, albeit a dangerous one.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 17, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Inquisitor Karen strikes again!

Ramc posted:

He is absolutely a buffoon, though, even if he happens to be a dangerous one.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

vilkacis posted:

Inquisitor Karen strikes again!

:hmmyes:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Erwin the German posted:

I think I remember doing the Dynaheir romance myself, though I can't remember which mod it was - probably this one? I remember being confused that my MC was suddenly speaking in the same ye olde english for some of the dialogue options, and this seems to have those.

Not much to say about Sandrah, she's just aggressively awful. It'd be one thing if she was just excessively horny and capable of breaking everyone's brains to make them love her. It'd be one thing if she was just omniscient and always right. It'd be one thing if she was just overpowered. It'd be one thing if the dialogue was awfully written. She's an absolute perfect storm of a Mary Sue and I'm impressed (horrified) she exists as unironically as she does. I can't even really respect the technical skill that must have went into building all of this. It was built for a lovely purpose, and as soon as you start taking other people's content and repurposing it to make your own poo poo look better, you lose any respect I may have owed you.

Genuinely curious to see how she stacks up and inevitably eclipses the other notorious companion mods from BG2.

I suspect people have a hard time swapping from Ye Olde English to normal words when they write for Dynaheir/protag. The romance is from BG1NPC, a very common mod for people to install.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Hypocrisy posted:

Mechanically Edwin is pretty nuts but story wise? He is a buffoon, albeit a dangerous one.

vilkacis posted:

He is absolutely a buffoon, though, even if he happens to be a dangerous one.

Yeah we just don't get the dangerous part here.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I remember downloading the Edwin Romance mod of all things for BGII back when I was a dumb teenager and the author of that turned him into more of a Mr. Darcy, "judgmental rear end in a top hat that softens over time" type. It was a fairly entertaining read on the character despite not making much sense otherwise. It absolutely would nooot have worked if it had been set in the original Baldur's Gate, though. Dude hadn't had nearly enough setbacks by that point to make that narrative even remotely plausible :v:

It's weird to read through his BG1NPC characterization and remember that initially there really wasn't much to work with beyond "overpowered wizard with big ego and rear end in a top hat asides". Hell, dude has more in common canonically with the emperor's advisor from Mulan than anything the fandom came up with

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Commenting from chapter 45 so I may be quite a few steps behind!

So: sexual assault, manipulating adults whose mental state is clearly not of an adult (minsc) into sex, almost zoophilia, and (egg) abortion. Sandrah's mod has it all

Funny enough that this LP was created while i'm doing my very own BG1EE playthrough with NPC banter mod. It's a delightful experience and most characters offer some good company thanks to it. If anyone is in doubt (Shar-teel and Kivan notwithstanding), definitely try it out for a more entertaining experience.

One of the things I found funniest in BG1 is just how many one-man team assassins the game throws at you. They, on their lonesome, see a six-party team that just cleared an entire mine, a bandit camp, or a magical spider nest and go "you know what? I'll try out my luck". It's even funnier just how many of these encounters the mods add as well. They add basically nothing other than extra loot or money via gear selling. It's just weird.

Just how many dragons are there with the mods???? There are a total of zero(?) in vanilla!

I'm surprised that Bragge's madness wasn't healed by Sandrah simply loving him (I'm not even joking, I was expecting that if you answered incorrectly, she'd just step in and answer properly for you).

This mod is a work of art in just how wrong it all feels. This is a sexual predator, destroying every single character in the game, in order to make them feel subservient and in awe of what effectively should be an 18 (?) year old priestess with "no experience with love".

Just how popular is this mod in the community exactly? I noticed that she's a mod at the gibberlings forum. That really doesn't fit well with me...

And another thing: the modded gear is absolutely loving busted. In the original BG1 you're supposed to go up to around level 8 or 9 and you're happy to get a +2 weapon in the midgame. The mods just throw +3 weapons at you before you even clear the Nashkel mines!

Just...oh my lord, this mod.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mans posted:

Just how popular is this mod in the community exactly? I noticed that she's a mod at the gibberlings forum. That really doesn't fit well with me...

She's been banned from Beamdog and SHS at least, and possibly other places. And she's pretty unpopular with other modders because of all the mods she's taken over without the consent of their creators. Not sure about the player community as such but the general consensus seems to be 'learn to spell/stop loving everything in sight/please let me participate in my story' so I think the only popularity it holds is from people who a) think it's funny or b) unironically enjoy Saerileth/Chloe/etc.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LX - If you are going to try to kill us then go right ahead, but give us some credit for intelligence!

Lots of vanilla content today.

Sandrah not knowing who Mendas is makes me a bit suspicious but we board the ship anyway.

Uh-oh.

Great, just great...

The island seems inhabited.

No-one wants to talk to me until I talk to their leader.

They're very obsessed with smells.

Werewolves are threatening this human settlement!? We have to help them!

We pick up some more quest while we're at it.

While also talking to some other locals, including a sailor from Amn who tries to warn us.

If we were female Delainy would be replaced with Durlyle.

She's quite popular to the point that it inspired an abandoned NPC mod. Had it been released Sandrah would probably have an extremely passionate romance with her.

Anyway, time to make our way to the northern part of the island.

Nothing gets past Sandrah. :colbert:

Lots of encounters with wolfweres here. They're like werewolves except their 'original' state is wolf instead of humanoid.

We manage to recover Evan's corpse from the Sirine without a fight at least.

A hut? You'd have to be crazy to live here!

I love Dradeel... :allears:

See above.

Anyway, one more place left to explore.

Balduran's Ship is filled with wolfweres, once we get to the top...

Well, I guess that concludes negotiations.

I usually have a LOT of problems with this encounter, thanks to our OP weapons we manage to carry the day without too much problems this time around.

We rescue the baby and find Dradeel's spellbook. Balduran's logbook is also quite an interesting find, I wonder if we're able to enter Candlekeep with it? No.

Draedel Draedel Draedel, I made it out of clay.

Gee, thanks a lot...

We go back to the village to deliver all the quests.

I guess we can pick some flowers for her.

Considering Belladonna is used to cure lycanthropy this is quite the gesture.

Tailas is such a spoilsport...

Take that! :black101:

Almost all of the villagers are hostile to us now, Maralee tells us to head to a nearby building.

Dradeel pops back for a bit to help us out, we'll run into him again much, much later.

The nearby house has a trap door leading to some caverns. Not much to tell, it's filled with lycantropes.

Sandrah tries to reason with her by pointing out how smart she is, surprisingly it doesn't wo-

And with that they all walk away, combat is avoided.

Sandrah's right, we still have to deal with Selaad, let's use the boat to get our of here and next time we'll de-

:eyepop:

D-did we die and go to heaven?

These grapes are lying around everywhere, we can't do anything with them though.

The beast will feast tonight.

...And so will I. :heysexy:

You'd think you could use the grapes to make wine but instead we find a bottle on the boat. :shrug:

This seems like a perfect way to end things, next time we'll deal with the fallout of our little excursion and delve into some more submod content.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Black Robe posted:

She's been banned from Beamdog and SHS at least, and possibly other places. And she's pretty unpopular with other modders because of all the mods she's taken over without the consent of their creators. Not sure about the player community as such but the general consensus seems to be 'learn to spell/stop loving everything in sight/please let me participate in my story' so I think the only popularity it holds is from people who a) think it's funny or b) unironically enjoy Saerileth/Chloe/etc.

I've gotten in touch a little bit with folks I used to know in the modding community since this LP rekindled my interest, and none of them have heard of anyone who's ever actually played it. Everyone acquainted with the Baldur's Gate modding community seems to know about this mod by reputation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who have actually played it is very small.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I've gotten in touch a little bit with folks I used to know in the modding community since this LP rekindled my interest, and none of them have heard of anyone who's ever actually played it. Everyone acquainted with the Baldur's Gate modding community seems to know about this mod by reputation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who have actually played it is very small.

Knowing what I know now I'm really curious how many of the people active in her mod forum are sock-puppet accounts.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

She seems so self involved that should she awake in a Twilight Zone world where everyone just parrots her words back to her she'd probably wouldn't notice.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
It still manages to throw me whenever Sandrah pipes up for no reason other than to smugly spoil upcoming plot developments to the player. It sucks all the air out of whatever quest it's happening in, kills any tension or narrative pacing and ruins any of the fun of playing something tropey where the player might get to feel clever for figuring something out ahead of time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

Knowing what I know now I'm really curious how many of the people active in her mod forum are sock-puppet accounts.

I keep waiting for her to register an account here. :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Have you checked the regdates of all the posters in this thread :ghost:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Cythereal posted:

I keep waiting for her to register an account here. :v:

Would you know if she did? She may be amongst us already.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Black Robe posted:

Speaking of which, it grew by a little bit:

I didn't add Boo because I desperately cling to the hope that those two dialogues followed each other only coincidentally and Sandrah didn't actually have sex with a hamster

Also let's hope that the sex orgy island thing is a fakeout, because if not... :negative:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LargeHadron posted:

Can't be, no one's been defending Sandrah as a mod beyond 'Holy poo poo this is a lot of work into something completely loving terrible.' :v:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

System Metternich posted:

Also let's hope that the sex orgy island thing is a fakeout, because if not... :negative:

Oh, it's real alright. :imunfunny:

EDIT: Nothing happens after that last scene, you can just chill at the island and leave when you're ready.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LargeHadron posted:

Given that all her sockpuppets sound identical and have the same poor grasp of spelling and grammar, yes, we would know :v:

Cythereal posted:

Can't be, no one's been defending Sandrah as a mod beyond 'Holy poo poo this is a lot of work into something completely loving terrible.' :v:

Also a valid point.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
loving hell, has Roxanne even stolen content from Sword Coast Strategems, of all things? That section from the last update where you talked your way past Kaishas with help from Maralee and Delainy/Durlyle is literally, word for word, from that mods Werewolf Island component, only with Sandrah butting in as usual with one of the correct dialogue options. In the vanilla game, you have to kill Kaishas no matter what. Its kind of impressive just how much effort Roxanne's put in to stealing other peoples work for this mega-mod.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 18, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

biscuits and crazy posted:

loving hell, has Roxanne even stolen content from Sword Coast Strategems, of all things? That section from the last update where you talked your way past Kaishas with help from Maralee and Delainy/Durlyle is literally, word for word, from that mods Werewolf Island component, only with Sandrah butting in as usual with one of the correct dialogue options. In the vanilla game, you have to kill Kaishas no matter what. Its kind of impressive just how much effort Roxanne's put in to stealing other peoples work for this mega-mod.

Ugh, I thought it looked familiar...

I have to replay quite a bit (post chapter 60 luckily) because I missed a huge chunk of content because a certain event failed to trigger.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of which, it grew by a little bit:

I didn't add Boo because I desperately cling to the hope that those two dialogues followed each other only coincidentally and Sandrah didn't actually have sex with a hamster

They are COMPLETELY coincidental, BTW. I just hit that banter in my game, and I am untainted by Sandrah.

It's just an Odyssey reference, really.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 19, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Jesus Christ, it feels like I've been reading this thing for weeks and I'm still only on page fourteen. I hope I catch up before we get to BG2 content; I played that game but not the first one as a kid.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

None of the people who made this mod, or contributed, have ever genuinely been in love or understand what makes a relationship.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXI - Sandrah of Waterdeep, priestess of haha Mystra.

Paradise Island is a pretty fun place, I've got to say.

...Until we run into *these* guys again, quit ruining our fun! :argh:

Tempting as it is to get rid of Sandrah I am doing a LP here. Nothing left to do but fight.

The priest LOVES to cast energy drain every other round and has a shitload of HP. Extremely annoying like every other Sandrah Saga encounter.

One of the Sirines gets caught in the crossfire. :negative: I think it's best that we go back to the boat and leave this place.

Wait, this isn't Ulgoth's Beard...

Before we can do anything he teleports us to...

...The Talos Temple in Athkatla? It's filled with hostile Talos priests and in the north...

:eyepop:

I'm astounded at the abysmal quality of this mod's writing.

No way, we're actually doing this? For some reason I had less trouble taking down a God than his servant at the beach, go figure.

(The other dialogue option doesn't change anything except one extra line of dialogue, by the way.)

Talos leaves before we get the chance to finish him off.

Sandrah gains a skill (because she leveled up, not because of what she just witnessed) and we're teleported back to Paradise Island.

This is the one time I'd have really preferred a lengthy diatribe about what the gently caress we just witnessed. Oh well.

We go back to the boat and get the hell out of Paradise Island before more Sirines get hurt.

Oh, that's right. We have to talk to Selaad. How could I possibly forget?

We're swimming in silver gear so this encounter wasn't all that hard.

Thanks, I needed that.

Time to delve into the Northern Tales of the Sword Coast content! :black101:

The Fields of the Dead are filled with Orcs and Orogs.

Quite a ghastly place...

We also run into a door that we can't open yet. Interesting.

In the middle of the Orc camp we run into some hostages.

The children run off on their own, are they going to be okay? :ohdear:

The other hostage is quite informative, not as much as Sandrah though. We're going to have to pay a visit to Haeball one of these days.

Sandrah Saga expands on Ghotal quite a bit, I wonder why?

This guy is hanging out south of the camp.

After a short conversation he turns into...

...A Tanar'ri Prince?

Hits like a truck, luckily we can summon a Cornugon to tank while we take care of business. :black101:

Only thing left to explore is this cave.

Kind of an out-of-the-way place for an assassin to hang out.

We also rescue a prisoner. That's this area dealt with for now.

Loving these dialogue options.

We deliver the good news...

And pick up a new quest while we're at it.

This area is a slightly altered lighthouse map.

Dynaheir graces us with another romance talk, probably one of her last we'll get to see.

Seems like the village has quite its share of problems.

On the northern cliffs we help someone turn into a fire wyvern. Yes, really.

The sirines are easily dealt with.

Ditto with the fire salamanders.

All that's left is to report our success to Skipper and Nadalin and we're done on the Northern Coast.

Next time we'll see if we can't finish up the Northern Tale of the Sword Coast content, after that it's time to delve into Durlag's Tower! :black101:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I originally wanted to focus solely on Northern Tales content and cover it all in one fell swoop but obviously something got in the way of that.

We're slowly but surely reaching the end of our BG1 portion, at least. :)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

That laughter keeps throwing me off. I get that it's supposed to be a "hee hee" sound but the way it's written i just keep feeling like he's greeting people a little too eagerly.

quote:

This makes more sense when it's Mystra doing it (i mean, for a very specific definition of "sense"), but nevertheless, :guillotine: :guillotine: :guillotine:

It's so bad :cry: and i can't even imagine how stupid it's going to get once we reach the parts of the series where the party's supposed to hit legendary shitkicker levels.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

vilkacis posted:

That laughter keeps throwing me off. I get that it's supposed to be a "hee hee" sound but the way it's written i just keep feeling like he's greeting people a little too eagerly.

I am 90% sure Roxanne is Dutch because of things like that.

vilkacis posted:

This makes more sense when it's Mystra doing it (i mean, for a very specific definition of "sense"), but nevertheless, :guillotine: :guillotine: :guillotine:

It's so bad :cry: and i can't even imagine how stupid it's going to get once we reach the parts of the series where the party's supposed to hit legendary shitkicker levels.

Did I mention she just got her first level 5 spell slot?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

Did I mention she just got her first level 5 spell slot?

So that's cleric level 9 right? As a multi-classed character?? :eyepoop: I kind of figured she didn't have sixth level spells yet, but that's closer than i expected. I remember vanilla BG1 TotSC capping exp at like 160k total so you're probably sitting at like 3-4 times that by now?

On the other hand, at least it's levels more appropriate for all the loot this mod hands out :imunfunny:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Honestly I think Arthas makes a good point here.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I can't think of anything clever or witty to say about that Talos encounter. That's just...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm not sure why I'm even asking, but is there any sort of potential lore justification for this? Is Talos a god in the same sense in which Luxembourg is a country?
Though the more sensible question is, how the actual hell does someone writing an RPG character not get the suspicion that there might be a bit of a problem with power-scaling when that character beats up a literal god while being at a level where a larger-than-average Golem would usually be a serious challenge? :psyduck: