Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good to hear, just ordered my kindle from goonmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
What does CM9 add over stock ICS currently?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lowen SoDium posted:

What does CM9 add over stock ICS currently?

Customizable Lockscreen
Notification shade toggles
Notification bar customization
Better native launcher
Native theming
Custom volume panel
Quiet Hours
Volume rocker music controls
Slightly muted notification sounds when using headphones
System wide screen rotation
Profiles
Custom Root profiles (app only, adb only, none)
Back button app killing
Native CPU clocking
Native RAM management

More things I didn't notice by just going through Settings because :effort: question.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 10, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was still under the impression that hw acceleration was still missing, otherwise I would move to it on my Nook.

Unless this is Kindle specific

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm on a Nexus S and some of that list is platform specific.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

So I rooted my (international) Galaxy S2 a while back and put CM9 on it. I like being rooted but I'm getting tired of CM's issues. Can anyone recommend me a good rom for a Galaxy S2?
My requirements are:
    Stable (doesn't freeze/crash, wifi works)
    Good battery life
That's it. I don't really care about having ICS so would CM7 be a good choice?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Waarg posted:

So I rooted my (international) Galaxy S2 a while back and put CM9 on it. I like being rooted but I'm getting tired of CM's issues. Can anyone recommend me a good rom for a Galaxy S2?
My requirements are:
    Good battery life

I loved CM7 on my SGS2, but have since upgraded to CM9 nightlies. I actually wouldn't mind going back to CM7 though, since it's been so good to me.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Roundboy posted:

I was still under the impression that hw acceleration was still missing, otherwise I would move to it on my Nook.

Unless this is Kindle specific

Yeah, someone wrote a 3.0 kernel from other tablets kernels. Its been developed and is still a work in progress ( a very stable work in progress).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Waarg posted:

My requirements are:
    Good battery life

By "international version" do you mean I9100M or I9100G? Makes a big difference.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

grack posted:

By "international version" do you mean I9100M or I9100G? Makes a big difference.

I'm not sure of how to tell the difference?
In 'About phone' the Model number is 'GT-I9100', Baseband version is 'I9100XXLPQ' and CPU is 'ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)'.
edit: Also, I'm in the UK if that helps?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hey Gnex rooters! Have anyone of you tried the Linaro version yet?

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/06/10/138214/linaro-tweaks-speed-up-android-by-up-to-100-percent

Slashdot posted:

The folks behind the Linaro open source software project have put a little time into tweaking Google Android to use the gcc 4.7 toolchain. The result is a version of Android that can perform many tasks between 30 and 100 percent faster than the version of Android Google 4.0 Google currently offers through the AOSP (Android Open Source Project).' Adds Argon: "Note that there are CPU optimizations only since they have only access to binary blobs for GPU code.

Yesterday I flashed the 'unofficial' Linaro CM9 version that someone compiled and honestly I can't find any speed differences. CM9 is a lot faster than stock ICS anyway.

The 'unofficial' Linaro CM9 versions for maguro and toro can be found here: http://lifeisabug.com/android/cm9_linaro/
Or just trawl the interent or xda-developers.

I'm keen to see what you guys think of this one because as I mentioned I can't really tell what the difference in speed is.

e: Oh, there's a new build of it (TLKANG) that's supposedly faster. I'm going to try it in the next couple hours.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 11, 2012

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, I have an Xperia Arc. I've been back and forth with different ROMs and mostly settled on CM7.2 for the past few months.

Yesterday, I flashed this ROM - Arconium MIUI
Based off 4.0.3
Using Arcknight's RC2 kernel

Wow, MIUI is a totally different beast than any other ROM I've flashed.
- Settings Menu looks different and comes with a "Common Settings" sub-menu. Every personal settings is customized. It's very nice
- Default home launcher is different (doesn't even have an App drawer - all apps are loaded on the the home screens, like an iphone almost). Adding widgets to the home launcher is different than any other launcher I've ever used. If you don't like it, use your favorite custom launcher to get the familiar feel back.
- Added Security (every app installed you're asked if MIUI can Trust it an what the permissions the app is using are)
- Notification bar has sub-menu for Toggles
- Default Internet Browser is like a chrome/stock browser merge

Those are just some of the differences. As a plus for a custom ROM on ICS, everything works. HDMI, video playback, camcorder, FM radio. Which is pretty rare for Custom ICS ROMs on my phone. I'm pretty excited with it. Going to test battery life for a few days and see how it goes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Waarg posted:

I'm not sure of how to tell the difference?
In 'About phone' the Model number is 'GT-I9100', Baseband version is 'I9100XXLPQ' and CPU is 'ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)'.
edit: Also, I'm in the UK if that helps?

Oh, yeah, that's good, actually. Should be the original I9100, which has much more community dev.

This is the one I had for the relatively short period of time I used an S2:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1601518

It's near stock ICS without much of the customization of CM9, but very solid. I only had an S2 for about two weeks while I was waiting for my Nitro to arrive, but I was pretty happy with that ROM.

Alright, question for the folks here:

Best free Wi-Fi tether app? I'm rooted and running ICS.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

grack posted:

If your carrier doesn't give a poo poo: the built-in one.

If your carrier does give a poo poo: don't tether, you'll get lots of grief over it. Otherwise the Koush one might work?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If your carrier doesn't give a poo poo: the built-in one.

If your carrier does give a poo poo: don't tether, you'll get lots of grief over it. Otherwise the Koush one might work?

I'm kinda stuck in the middle. My carrier doesn't give much of a poo poo about tethering (Fido)... but I'm running an AT&T ROM on my phone and I can't use the built-in tethering because of the security cert baked in.

ChangoBat
Mar 5, 2006

grack posted:

Wifi-Tether is what was recommended to me when I asked. It works great.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
What's the best Wired Tether app? Wifi Tethering is great and all but sometimes you want to conserve power on the go.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm attempting to flash the 6-11 Nightly of CM9 onto my VZW Galaxy Nexus. I got stuck at the (ugly) new CM boot animation for about 15 minutes, so I pulled the battery, went back into recovery, deleted system, cache and davlik, reflashed and tried again. I'm once again stuck at the boot animation. The MD5 matched fine. How long should this take?

My old Incredible was always up much faster, so I'm a little confused. I can restore from a backup, but that fixes the symptom, not the actual problem.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Alarbus posted:

I'm attempting to flash the 6-11 Nightly of CM9 onto my VZW Galaxy Nexus. I got stuck at the (ugly) new CM boot animation for about 15 minutes, so I pulled the battery, went back into recovery, deleted system, cache and davlik, reflashed and tried again. I'm once again stuck at the boot animation. The MD5 matched fine. How long should this take?

My old Incredible was always up much faster, so I'm a little confused. I can restore from a backup, but that fixes the symptom, not the actual problem.

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure you're flashing the correct build for your device?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Glimm posted:

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure you're flashing the correct build for your device?

Yup, Toro.

I guess I'll try again with tomorrow's nightly. Having a Nandroid to restore from is amazing, just wasted some time, nothing actually serious.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

FlyingCheese posted:

What's the best Wired Tether app? Wifi Tethering is great and all but sometimes you want to conserve power on the go.

I've always been partial to PDA Net, which is free as long as you don't need HTTPS.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
ICS 4.0.3 available for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II. Get crackin' if you're one of the lucky few because by god I didn't actually believe that it'd ever actually get here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Slopehead posted:

ICS 4.0.3 available for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II. Get crackin' if you're one of the lucky few because by god I didn't actually believe that it'd ever actually get here.
:smug: Its also the first of the US SGSIIs to get official ICS. :smug:
Red-Headed stepchild for the win.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone running AOKP on the Galaxy Nexus know of a way to toggle the lock screen?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FlyingCheese posted:

Uhhh...if you have the wire to do a wired connection, then why can't you just plug it in while doing the wireless tether to charge it?

In my experience, it won't actually charge the phone while doing wireless tether, but it won't be draining the battery either.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyshall posted:

Anyone running AOKP on the Galaxy Nexus know of a way to toggle the lock screen?

As far as I can tell there isn't one. If you're looking to remove the lock screen when you're at home or whatever I'm fairly certain that's something Tasker can do.

So after running ParanoidAndroid for a month or so I switched back to AOKP for the widget button in the navbar. It's super handy, especially when listening to Spotify.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uhhh...if you have the wire to do a wired connection, then why can't you just plug it in while doing the wireless tether to charge it?

In my experience, it won't actually charge the phone while doing wireless tether, but it won't be draining the battery either.

Because if the computer is a laptop on battery power, powering both the wifi card in the laptop and the wifi chip in the phone would be nothing but wasted power.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is anyone familiar with linaro? I don't really understand whats going on there, but it sounds like the linaro compiler is optimized for arm 9 and almost doubles the cpu benchmarks on CM9. It's been sent to CM to hopfully pull into the source. You can read more on reddit.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Talked about less than half a page up deong.

give me thread posted:

Hey Gnex rooters! Have anyone of you tried the Linaro version yet?

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/06/10/138214/linaro-tweaks-speed-up-android-by-up-to-100-percent

Yesterday I flashed the 'unofficial' Linaro CM9 version that someone compiled and honestly I can't find any speed differences. CM9 is a lot faster than stock ICS anyway.

The 'unofficial' Linaro CM9 versions for maguro and toro can be found here: http://lifeisabug.com/android/cm9_linaro/
Or just trawl the interent or xda-developers.

I'm keen to see what you guys think of this one because as I mentioned I can't really tell what the difference in speed is.

e: Oh, there's a new build of it (TLKANG) that's supposedly faster. I'm going to try it in the next couple hours.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
:downs: And I thought I was paying attention. Thanks

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Gyshall posted:

You mean to turn the lock screen off? 'Settings -> Security -> Screen Lock -> None' works for me

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Nah. On CM9, you can put a toggle in the notification area to disable or enable the Lock Screen. So if it is toggled, the lock screen (in theory) never comes on. It is slightly buggy, though and sometimes wouldn't work at all.

When I'm at my house or work, I'd love to be able to have the lock screen disabled. Anywhere else it would be great if it turned on. I have no idea how to Tasker because I am a babby.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Nah. On CM9, you can put a toggle in the notification area to disable or enable the Lock Screen. So if it is toggled, the lock screen (in theory) never comes on. It is slightly buggy, though and sometimes wouldn't work at all.

When I'm at my house or work, I'd love to be able to have the lock screen disabled. Anywhere else it would be great if it turned on. I have no idea how to Tasker because I am a babby.

Ah yeah I don't think an actual toggle in the notification area is available on AOKP.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

deong posted:

Is anyone familiar with linaro? I don't really understand whats going on there, but it sounds like the linaro compiler is optimized for arm 9 and almost doubles the cpu benchmarks on CM9. It's been sent to CM to hopfully pull into the source. You can read more on reddit.
Yep, I can definitely see some improvements in overall speed switching apps and what not. It wasn't really noticeable with the first build, but the second time around (the TLKANG one from June 10) I could see the difference. Worth a try!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I need some input from you guys since you are experts and I am an idiot about this stuff still.

I have a VZW GNex in my worry free guarantee window. I went into it knowing some of them had poo poo signal issues with 4.0.2 and experienced these issues. After 4.0.4 was finally released, I still had significant call dropping and data service loss. To the tune of 24% of my battery life was spent without any mobile network whatsoever. I'm 3 phones and 3 sims deep at this point with an outstanding NRB ticket because there apparently were some quirky things going on within the VZW backend.

After my NRB ticket is finished, if I am still having lovely signal, is there a chance that going to a non-stock ROM could fix this? I -do- want to unlock/root and like a lot of what CM9 offers, but I want to wait until VZW is done tinkering with my phone.

Second question: if I go to CM9, what features do -not- work that do on stock ICS?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

I need some input from you guys since you are experts and I am an idiot about this stuff still.

I have a VZW GNex in my worry free guarantee window. I went into it knowing some of them had poo poo signal issues with 4.0.2 and experienced these issues. After 4.0.4 was finally released, I still had significant call dropping and data service loss. To the tune of 24% of my battery life was spent without any mobile network whatsoever. I'm 3 phones and 3 sims deep at this point with an outstanding NRB ticket because there apparently were some quirky things going on within the VZW backend.

After my NRB ticket is finished, if I am still having lovely signal, is there a chance that going to a non-stock ROM could fix this? I -do- want to unlock/root and like a lot of what CM9 offers, but I want to wait until VZW is done tinkering with my phone.

Second question: if I go to CM9, what features do -not- work that do on stock ICS?
I really don't think a custom ROM is going to fix radio issues since custom ROMs don't touch radios. If you're three phones deep I'd consider switching away from the Galaxy Nexus.

I am interested in your second question though.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I really don't think a custom ROM is going to fix radio issues since custom ROMs don't touch radios. If you're three phones deep I'd consider switching away from the Galaxy Nexus.

I am interested in your second question though.

The thing is that the first phone was from a store 4 hours away from the last two, so it seems that the odds of it being the device versus a network thing seem slim, unless I'm missing something. I just hear great things about the phone from everyone that -isn't- on big red, why can't I have that glorious phone? :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

The thing is that the first phone was from a store 4 hours away from the last two, so it seems that the odds of it being the device versus a network thing seem slim, unless I'm missing something. I just hear great things about the phone from everyone that -isn't- on big red, why can't I have that glorious phone? :smith:
CDMA will always be treated like the bastard stepchild. Once Verizon goes to VoLTE in a couple years and LTE radios and chipsets improve, I imagine the funkiness you've grown accustomed to on VZW will disappear.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Yup, Toro.

I guess I'll try again with tomorrow's nightly. Having a Nandroid to restore from is amazing, just wasted some time, nothing actually serious.

For the curious, this happened on the 6/12 at first. It worked when I formatted /data along with the others. I was so used to CM nightlies from before I forgot about that part.

Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does using the full disk encryption hinder/make it harder to install custom ROMs?