Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I went zipcoding for the first time last night with a group of the local hard-core players - they basically choose a nearby zipcode, map out the portals, and drive through in a group to smash every one.

I was kinda disappointed that no one called me out on comms, but then again I (on my slow-rear end iPhone 4) was drifting so badly that I only got a fraction of the detroys. 73 unique portal visits though, not bad - and I know that I've hit that entire area now.

A pair of ENL players did show up to say hi, one in pajama pants as it was kinda late. They asked for a picture, perhaps not realizing that they would now be immortalized that way on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVG posted:

I went zipcoding for the first time last night with a group of the local hard-core players - they basically choose a nearby zipcode, map out the portals, and drive through in a group to smash every one.

I was kinda disappointed that no one called me out on comms, but then again I (on my slow-rear end iPhone 4) was drifting so badly that I only got a fraction of the detroys. 73 unique portal visits though, not bad - and I know that I've hit that entire area now.

A pair of ENL players did show up to say hi, one in pajama pants as it was kinda late. They asked for a picture, perhaps not realizing that they would now be immortalized that way on the internet.

They only wanted the picture to add to their database. Some of the players in my area really enjoy the counterespionage portion of this game. They have shown up to enlightened faction meetings and stolen capsules full of items mid-transfer before blowing up their whole farm.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think that's the exception, DrPlump. Granted, I'm in a pretty small town, but no one around here cares enough to do any of that type of spying / sabotage. Except for one guy, and we all make fun of him for being a spaz.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobulus posted:

I think that's the exception, DrPlump. Granted, I'm in a pretty small town, but no one around here cares enough to do any of that type of spying / sabotage. Except for one guy, and we all make fun of him for being a spaz.

Everyone else is just pretending not to spy so you let your guard down making spying on you easier.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

EVG posted:

That's always fun to do. Whenever I need to run errands to other towns, I try to find a time to do it when I can play Ingress for a while while I'm there. My inventory has been totally loaded lately (700 x8 + 350 pc8) recently because we kept up a loop of 25 portals with rare multihacks and heatsinks. I passed along a lot of the gear to others who needed it, then with a couple hundred bursters left, tore through a solid green area. The first portal was being recharged very well, it took about 60 bursters to take it down (and the drat mods wouldn't come off). When it finally came down, I got 13k+ AP at once from links dropping. After the first few portals, I made a point of using ultrastrikes to pop mods (I had ~100 each L6 and L8) and in a few hours managed to destroy ~700 resonators, ~200 links, and ~100 control fields.

It's more fun in a group though. Four of us visited NYC one day to start with some non-Ingress stuff, and finished the day by driving up and down the streets of Brooklyn tearing things down and rebuilding them. Great way to get unique portal captures/visits and other stats.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Tyler speaks truth.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

I just switched to an Android phone, and picked up Ingress after wanting to play it for a long time. My initial impression: it makes me sad about the death of Shadow Cities. I think I liked the lore of that game a bit better, and PvM banishing spirits gave something to do in between harvesting and PvP stuff.

Did anyone else get into the game with that impression, and is there hidden depth in this game that enriches the experience and makes it worth sticking with? Like, if I'm currently thinking "Shadow Cities with less fun stuff to fiddle around with," should I hang on and expect things to get spicier in time? What are the relative strengths of this title?
You deploy resonators, you link portals, you make fields. Then you join up with your local community and make bigger fields. Then one day they start talking about megafields and shards and artifacts, and you start to realize that the game has global organization on both sides. And then there's the storyline; there's a whole level of interacting with the ARG and characters in it. The rabbit hole goes deep.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

GWBBQ posted:

You deploy resonators, you link portals, you make fields. Then you join up with your local community and make bigger fields. Then one day they start talking about megafields and shards and artifacts, and you start to realize that the game has global organization on both sides. And then there's the storyline; there's a whole level of interacting with the ARG and characters in it. The rabbit hole goes deep.

Then you turn into Tom Hanks in Mazes and Monsters.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
So....missions...

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

So....missions...

Where the button that lets me send whitey into gang run neighborhoods?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

Where the button that lets me send whitey into gang run neighborhoods?

Flash Gentrification: The Game.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Are these missions sorted in any way, like distance? Most aren't that descriptive about where they are.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

Are these missions sorted in any way, like distance? Most aren't that descriptive about where they are.

Nope
And they're basically only in Big Cities at the moment - and the only people that can create them for now are Niantic or Niantic appointed brownnosers in those cities - so don't expect any new ones in smaller cities or rural areas any time soon

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just fired off my first group of portal submissions. Now the wait begins!

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
current wait is approx. 3-4 months, so it will be a wait :/

I've been getting accepts/denies at around 120 - 130 days after submission, but your mileage may vary...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

spiny posted:

current wait is approx. 3-4 months, so it will be a wait :/

I've been getting accepts/denies at around 120 - 130 days after submission, but your mileage may vary...

Big cities have been getting some fast-tracking recently (possibly related to the missions)
Some people in Boston have gotten approvals/rejections within hours, even minutes in a few cases

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Big cities have been getting some fast-tracking recently (possibly related to the missions)
Some people in Boston have gotten approvals/rejections within hours, even minutes in a few cases

I had some portals rejected that I submitted a few weeks ago, and some waiting still for an up/down. I think they've changed their system.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Woke up to a massive field from alaska - hawaii - colorado. Can't even be mad, that took effort.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I'm in the UK, not in a city ... the nearest mission to me is 25 miles away, the next nearest is 125 miles away :D
I've got about 100 portals in the 'queue' oldest is about 125 days, but I try and submit a few each week, I'm at 42 accepted, medal hunting is part of the game for me :)

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I dropped my battery pack yesterday while getting ready to go farming and it broke. Does anyone have one they'd recommend?

spiny
May 20, 2004

Tremors posted:

I dropped my battery pack yesterday while getting ready to go farming and it broke. Does anyone have one they'd recommend?

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Dual-Port-Compact-External-Portable/dp/B009USAJCC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411856622&sr=8-5&keywords=anker

they are more expensive in the UK :/

but are very good :)

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I signed up to this as resistance in the UK... Most of my entire city is resistance. Is it worth sticking it out on this team, or should I jump ship with a new account and be massively outnumbered instead? Is there ever gonna be much to do if everywhere nearby is the same colour as me?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Javid posted:

Woke up to a massive field from alaska - hawaii - colorado. Can't even be mad, that took effort.
They've been in the works since the Helios anomaly series was announced. Fields like that take months to plan. We had one out here too

An enl player took it out within a few hours, they would have to have taken the last ferry to the island to hit it when they did, so they were stuck there overnight. That's serious dedication

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Tremors posted:

I just bought this one and it's given me a decent number of full phone charges before it completely went out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9BEC8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

chemosh6969 posted:

Unfortunately, you just have to be lucky enough to live near one of the major cities that the missions are placed in. And no, they aren't sorted in any way. I expect the mission function will go through some changes and growing pains soon. I need to go do the New Orleans one this week; at least that one is near to me.

Javid posted:

Just fired off my first group of portal submissions. Now the wait begins!

Good luck. I just got my first portal submission rejection last week from one I submitted in March. I gave up on ever getting a Seer badge because it just isn't worth it. The interns that decide what submissions are accepted or rejected are capricious at best.

Tremors posted:

I use this one. I get two full charges for my Galaxy S5 on it, or I can leave it plugged it and it will Ingress it up all day. It saved my rear end during the Helios Anomaly in Galveston.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

At this point, until/unless levels 9+ actually do something, I'm not gonna worry about badges.

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py

Javid posted:

This was for the Helios anomaly, it covered all three sites and was up for hours but went down minutes before the first measurement started. I was at the satellite event in Sacramento and there were massive cheers when it went down. Various green blue and teal fields were up and down all day.

Traveled there in a rented 12 person van with a bunch of local players and had an absolute blast despite losing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Probably a reasonable policy. Right now, all level 9+ does is give you a bigger XM bar.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Javid posted:

At this point, until/unless levels 9+ actually do something, I'm not gonna worry about badges.

I didn't care until I hit enough points to make level 9. The extra xm would really be nice to have, especially if you're fairly active. I'm a couple silvers away right now. The recharger one is the easiest one for me to work towards right now but the next closest is doing 118 links.

I'm fine with gear only going up to level 8. It's hard enough for a new player to compete with the upper levels as it is.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Javid posted:

The badges take a long time to get so it is best to work on them slowly. You can't directly work on them but you should keep them in mind and progress towards completing them. It can take months or years to gain the levels with no way to increase that speed even with active play. You should try to get the levels and badges now so you don't have to wait even longer when they finally release something for higher levels.

Tips:
-Use this http://ingress.medals.emsy.name/
-Use all your XM before driving and leave game open on phone to refill. This allows slow but steady progress towards recharger.
-Find and maintain a guardian portal.
-Look for easy unique hacks and captures when in new areas around town.
-Find a nearby cluster of portals and figure out optimal linking to maximize fields. Simply retaking and linking this cluster whenever it changes hands can be 100k+ AP and tons of progress towards badges without actively hunting out locations or extra driving.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I like to go into the center of a bunch of portals owned by the Resistance, and unleash the dogs of war. It's neat to see so many damage percentages on the screen that it turns into this mottled ring of salmon flaring out towards the edges, instead of being able to make out the discrete numbers.

Can really rack up your destroyed resonators count that way.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sadly, I can't do that around me. The local Blues are only interested in denying portals / making big links, so they'll take everything down, then just put a single level-8 resonator on the portal, keeping low-level greens from taking it back, but denying high-level greens the destroyed resonators count. They'll only make a handful of portals in town fully powered, and then attempt to link to adjacent towns and nothing else.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Surprise T Rex posted:

So I signed up to this as resistance in the UK... Most of my entire city is resistance. Is it worth sticking it out on this team, or should I jump ship with a new account and be massively outnumbered instead? Is there ever gonna be much to do if everywhere nearby is the same colour as me?

SalTheBard posted:

I went with what was the lesser faction in the area. I will say that choosing to go that route has pros and cons.

Pros:
You level up way faster
Develop a real "us vs. them" mentality
You get to know individual members of your faction better

Cons:
Just accept that anything you do will be destroyed within 15 minutes to an hour
The predominate side will bully the smaller side
Both sides are filled with aspie sperg lords

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A guy here likes to throw massive tantrums when you pop his work portal (utterly unshielded level 8 farm) - so obviously doing so is high value entertainment. Doubly so if you burn it out first and then use the gear to pop it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Javid posted:

A guy here likes to throw massive tantrums when you pop his work portal (utterly unshielded level 8 farm) - so obviously doing so is high value entertainment. Doubly so if you burn it out first and then use the gear to pop it.

Next time just flip it using an ADA/Jarvis and then drop VR Portal Shields on it (Bonus if you can max out the links from it for added mitigation).

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

cheese-cube posted:

Next time just flip it using an ADA/Jarvis and then drop VR Portal Shields on it (Bonus if you can max out the links from it for added mitigation).

But he still gets level 8 gear from it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Blowing it is easier. Not gonna burn a virus on it when it takes a handful of bursters to destroy.

It just amazes me that someone will fly into a hulk-like rage that you destroyed a portal of theirs, in the middle of destroying a shitload of portals of someone else's. Do they think they're special or something?

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Javid posted:

Blowing it is easier. Not gonna burn a virus on it when it takes a handful of bursters to destroy.

It just amazes me that someone will fly into a hulk-like rage that you destroyed a portal of theirs, in the middle of destroying a shitload of portals of someone else's. Do they think they're special or something?

Yes. Yes they do. Hello ingressgoons, I hit level 8 the other day and am having a blast playing. Feel free to kill any of my portals ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So I'm level three and just started yesterday after not playing for like a year, got bored with it before. Today I learned that my city is actually being heavily fought over now and had a blast, would like to keep playing.

But the downtown streets in my area have like 100 portals in a 1.5 square mile area. Some guy today, single handed, walked through and obliterated all of my team's portals and replaced them with seven level 1 and one level 8 resonators. Is there anything that I, as a level 3, can do to kill those level 8 resonators and help at all? That seems really cheesy.

• Locked thread