Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really like Nexus 4 Dot Live Wallpaper.

EDIT : also, Jellybeam LWP (it's the jelly beam background and the phase beam LWP mashed together), which I got from xda. Really, plain old Phase Beam is cool too.

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like live wallpapers, but I don't trust their creators. I wish someone kept a list of "live wallpapers confirmed not to gently caress up your battery life for no reason due to dumbass code".

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
So, has anything been mentioned about the audio galaxy app? Its being acquired (then most likely promptly going to be shut down) by drop box and I actually used it quite a bit. Is there another app that does equal, if not a better job at streaming music from my pc to my phone? I'm kind of skeptical about google music, since 1) they want credit card info, which I find ridiculous and 2) only allows a limited amount of songs to be able to stream.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I like the beautiful widgets live wallpaper, unfortunately using it makes switching between homescreens a little bit choppy for me. The default live wallpapers work just fine though. :shrug:

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Can anybody recommend a good lock screen replacement? I like minimalistic stuff if that helps.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr Blah PhD posted:

So, has anything been mentioned about the audio galaxy app? Its being acquired (then most likely promptly going to be shut down) by drop box and I actually used it quite a bit. Is there another app that does equal, if not a better job at streaming music from my pc to my phone? I'm kind of skeptical about google music, since 1) they want credit card info, which I find ridiculous and 2) only allows a limited amount of songs to be able to stream.

Play Music (which I think is google music) came pre-installed on both my phone and my Nexus 7, I never had to give them my credit card, if you do its likely you don't have billing information on file and google needs it to download their apps for some reason.

Either way you don't steam from your computer the songs are kept on google's server which is why there is a (really high) limit. Its really generous for 100% free space since its somewhere around 500GB.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

neongrey posted:

So what's the best alarm clock these days? I've been using Gentle Alarm except now it crashes if I put the phone at the slightest angle while it's going off. Something with a similar functionality with staggered alarms would be great. I flipped back through the past couple pages but didn't see anything on the subject.
FYI if you just lock the orientation from within the app it will stop crashing.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I'm looking for an app/widget that can keep track of specific TV shows and tell me when the next episodes will air. Any recommendations?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

sigseven posted:

Alien Shapes

Alien Shapes is indeed awesome.

Can anyone recommend a decent .cbz / .cbr reader for Android?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Krad posted:

So, I'm looking for an app/widget that can keep track of specific TV shows and tell me when the next episodes will air. Any recommendations?

TV Show Favs is very cool.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pipski posted:

Alien Shapes is indeed awesome.

Can anyone recommend a decent .cbz / .cbr reader for Android?

Perfect Viewer, ComicRack Komik Reader are all quite good.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Geektox posted:

Nice. Will test drive them. Cheers.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Krad posted:

SeriesGuide is awesome for this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Repelex posted:

Can anybody recommend a good lock screen replacement? I like minimalistic stuff if that helps.

WidgetLocker is prety good. There are tons of themes for it on XDA, including minimal ones.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

fudsak posted:

SeriesGuide is awesome for this.

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. I think I prefer this one over TV Show Favs just because it's ad-free. :)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dr Blah PhD posted:

I left Audiogalaxy for Google Music and love it. As far as the credit card thing, isn't it the same card info for the Play store? And as far as streaming a limited number of songs, I've exceeded my bandwidth exclusively using Google Music (before I learned about pinning) and never noticed anything regarding that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've been looking for a nice music widget. Basically what I want is play/pause/track controls with a transparent background that all links to the default player, it doesn't sound too fancy but I've searched for a while and found nothing I like so I thought I'd ask you guys. Any ideas?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Geektox posted:

Are there any comic viewers that let you "stream" .CBR/CBZ files from a network location? Or I guess alternatively, any apps that let you set up a network share so that Android thinks it's local to the phone? It's a little thing, but I hate having to copy over whatever comics I want to read.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Medullah posted:

Are there any comic viewers that let you "stream" .CBR/CBZ files from a network location?

Perfect Viewer will do this.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I signed for a box.to account since they offered 50GB free for LG phone owners, anything I can do with that? Media players that support my account there as storage or something?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dr Blah PhD posted:

I'm fairly certain it doesn't require CC info. Also if you've ever bought anything from the Play store then you will already have CC info tied to your Google account.

As for stream limits, I've never heard of there being any. I've certainly never encountered them in all the time I've used Google Music. If there are any then they are very high. And with local caching your streaming data usage should go down decently if you ever listen to the same song more than once.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've been in love with A Liquid Cloud as far as Live Wallpapers go, and also Nthing WidgetLocker for lockscreen flexibility.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I'd like to add text to my lock screen, for example "remember to buy milk" and stuff like that. Will WidgetLocker allow me to do this? If not, anyone know of an app that will?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Granbar posted:

I'd like to add text to my lock screen, for example "remember to buy milk" and stuff like that. Will WidgetLocker allow me to do this? If not, anyone know of an app that will?

Widgetlocker lets you use widgets on your lockscreen that were previously only available to be put on your homescreen. So , if you have a homescreen widget that works for that, then yes.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin

Taffer posted:

I'm fairly certain it doesn't require CC info. Also if you've ever bought anything from the Play store then you will already have CC info tied to your Google account.

As for stream limits, I've never heard of there being any. I've certainly never encountered them in all the time I've used Google Music. If there are any then they are very high. And with local caching your streaming data usage should go down decently if you ever listen to the same song more than once.

Well the thing is, I dont want to upload and stream from google, I just want to to listen to music from my computer, which has more songs than google music will allow for upload. Also, as for the CC thing, I just signed in the a gmail and it wasnt an issue anymore (I was accidentally logged in with my yahoo email).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Well the thing is, I dont want to upload and stream from google, I just want to to listen to music from my computer, which has more songs than google music will allow for upload. Also, as for the CC thing, I just signed in the a gmail and it wasnt an issue anymore (I was accidentally logged in with my yahoo email).

I use 2 Google accounts to make that happen. Well, I mean for space reasons. I like streaming, and the pin option does exist to play music without streaming. Works great.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Granbar posted:

I have an invisible widget set on my main home screen for reminder notes like this. I use Simple Notepad and it's pretty great. You could easily add a similar widget to your lockscreen using WL

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Disney released a live wallpaper app themed after the It's a Small World ride a week or two ago.
It got me thinking about how precious few decent live wallpapers there are on Google Play.
I've been using Moovebo for pretty much all of my days with Android, with a few phases of the generic Bubbles theme and Light Grid.
Before I got to actually using smartphones, I was always amazed at the support for live wallpapers, since it was such a pain to have a moving wallpaper on a desktop back in the day (even now, when it shouldn't be hard, it usually just plain "impossible"). But, now that I get here, there's like nothing good out there. It's like live wallpapers are only published as a means to sneak adware into peoples' phones.

Does anyone else have a good live wallpaper out there, or a devkit? Or do people just stick to static images these days?

I know I'm going to be in the minority here but if you like the aesthetic of way overdone 3D net art type things, there's some really good stuff in the 3D Islamic live wallpapers.

Aside from that, a friend recommended a couple to me (plasma clouds, koi fish), but I thought they were all pretty boring/looked like things that'd come preinstalled on a phone. Audio Glow Music Visualizer was cool and you might dig it if you use your phone for music a lot. I just wasn't a huge fan of how it was laid out.

But yeah, so far it's just the 3D Islamic ones that aren't shitted up with AirPush that are doing it for me right now.

e: Any good alternatives to tTorrent or aTorrent? tTorrents wants me to pay to get download speeds above 250kbps and aTorrent doesn't have enough features (no encryption settings? what?), and I'm too paranoid to use a BitTorrent, Inc app. I mean I guess I could pay for tTorrent but meh.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 6, 2013

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dr Blah PhD posted:

EbolaIvory posted:

I use 2 Google accounts to make that happen. Well, I mean for space reasons. I like streaming, and the pin option does exist to play music without streaming. Works great.

Wouldn't it be easier to use subsonic?

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Searched a couple of pages back and didn't see anything but what's the go to battery stats app? I've seen mentions of Better Battery Stats in the root thread, but didn't know if there was anything comparable.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Can anybody suggest a good app for tracking business related travel expenses, such as miles, etc?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Unicorn Vomit posted:

Can anybody suggest a good app for tracking business related travel expenses, such as miles, etc?
Evernote

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Pilkington posted:

Searched a couple of pages back and didn't see anything but what's the go to battery stats app? I've seen mentions of Better Battery Stats in the root thread, but didn't know if there was anything comparable.

I don't *think* Better Battery Stats requires root.. Why not just use that?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

ACID POLICE posted:

e: Any good alternatives to tTorrent or aTorrent? tTorrents wants me to pay to get download speeds above 250kbps and aTorrent doesn't have enough features (no encryption settings? what?), and I'm too paranoid to use a BitTorrent, Inc app. I mean I guess I could pay for tTorrent but meh.

My buddy uses adownloader or something like that I think

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilkington posted:

BBS is pretty great and only required root for a couple of specific things. I also use GSam Battery Monitor which gives a more user friendly break-down of usage and seems to be better at connecting battery usage to individual apps but lacks the more advanced stuff like listing specific kernel wakelocks

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela

brc64 posted:

I don't *think* Better Battery Stats requires root.. Why not just use that?

Sorry, I realize how my post came off, I'm actually already rooted running CM 10.1 nightlies. I was just looking to see is BBS is the best out there or if I missed something.

Tunga posted:

BBS is pretty great and only required root for a couple of specific things. I also use GSam Battery Monitor which gives a more user friendly break-down of usage and seems to be better at connecting battery usage to individual apps but lacks the more advanced stuff like listing specific kernel wakelocks

Thanks, I may have to check BBS out then cause I wanted to test the stock CM kernel vs Franco and some others.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Where (is there a way? ) is the button in Currents to go to the original article through your browser?

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Sorta new to Android. Is there a better alternative to the music player that comes with ICS?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Sorta new to Android. Is there a better alternative to the music player that comes with ICS?

A lot of people, including myself, use PowerAmp. Works great if you have the music stored on your phone. It is a pay app, but back when I bought it you could try it out for 14 days or so to see if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

I think N7 music player is awesome, works better than Poweramp for me

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n7mobile.nplayer

• Locked thread